Can anyone confirm that it is a true FM tuner like that of a radio?

I'm currently using a Z30 on 10.2.1.3247 and when I use the radio, it requires something to be plugged into the headphone jack (that I understand as it uses the headphones as an extended antenna). However, if you don't have a data plan, shouldn't you still be able to pick up a radio signal? Reason I'm asking is I was in Toronto (had no data plan or coverage due to using an out of country sim card) and wanted to use the radio feature to listen to music while I was walking around. I figured this would be a free way to listen to some of the local stations while I was out and about When I tried to use the radio, I was prompted that it required a data plan.

Why would an FM tuner require a data plan and has anyone else experienced this issue?
    08-04-14 02:53 PM
    Yes, it's an actual FM radio, not a digital stream over your data plan. That's the good news.

The bad news: it's not very good. But it's better than nothing, and, yes, it's free. I'm not sure why it "requires" a data plan, except that it might for retrieving station info.
    08-04-14 02:59 PM
    You don't need a data connection. It works even with data turned off in settings.

It asks only that the mobile network is active. I can only assume that the app makes use of the antenna software library which could be hardwired to have cell network active.

The FM radio has RDS so it gets station and track info that way. Reception is also good. One of the top reasons why I love my Z30.
    08-04-14 04:30 PM
    ]When you open your music app, take a look at the bottom menu "Radio" icon. pics follow: FIRST shows Radio App when no headphones are plugged in (required as the wires are the antenna) SECOND - Radio App with headpones in (actually just an RCA patch cable) THIRD - "peek" gesture with the Radio App up showing I have the cell service and wi-fi turned off. FOURTH: "peek" with headphones out / cell&wifi off

FIRST:
    FM Radio-img_20140804_171747.png
    SECOND:
    FM Radio-img_20140804_172013.png
    THIRD:
    FM Radio-img_20140804_172018.png
    FOURTH:
    FM Radio-img_20140804_172742.png
    08-04-14 06:35 PM
    You don't need a data connection. It works even with data turned off in settings.

It asks only that the mobile network is active. I can only assume that the app makes use of the antenna software library which could be hardwired to have cell network active.

The FM radio has RDS so it gets station and track info that way. Reception is also good. One of the top reasons why I love my Z30.

Thanks. I think your theory about the antenna software library might explain it. I'm going to do a test to confirm. This time I'll go to the USA with an inactive Telus sim. There should be no roaming and no data, however, I'll make sure the mobile network is active. I believe that when I was in Toronto, I turned Mobile Network and Data Services off since I don't have a roaming package and didn't want to incur any charges. I was on wifi solely whenever at the hotel or somewhere with free wifi. But when out and about with no wifi, I was hoping to use the FM radio on the Z30 to keep myself entertained.
    08-04-14 11:32 PM