So flash support was one of those things keeping me with BlackBerry, so I could watch videos on websites on my phone.

However it seems flash is becoming less and less likely to be included in 10.3.1.xxxx, at least in the native browser.

On the other hand, it is two years later since I really got into flash. How useful is flash now days? Doesn't YouTube and other stuff work with html 5 and not flash or something? What really uses flash?

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    10-31-14 10:37 AM
    All phone platforms have dropped flash support

.and yes youtube uses html5 so it streams normal html5 is the future most sites have it but give preference to flash it just a matter of time before it's adopted fully....... u can use flash fox browser https://app.box.com/s/4io7w8no5g0ydbyej2b2 after installation go to tools add ons and install bluehell firewall speed up a great deal not as perfect as the bb10 browser but useable

Z30 Beast on Roids..
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-31-14 10:47 AM
    Flash is very useful. Especially on BB. MLB's website, NFL's website (especially NFL Rewind), NBA etc... they all use flash. Not all have apps that will work on BB, and some the website is 100X better than the app. Also Vidbull and Vodlocker and dozens of other streaming video sites. Same with many municipal search engines like NY ACRIS, one can not view documents without flash (and there is no app for this).

In short, the loss of flash is a big step backwards. BB10 has had flash from the start and has had no security issues as a result. Security is not the reason it was pulled (if it has been). If it was pulled it was part of the misguided understanding that a focus on enterprise mobility is the best course of action, and flash, being a consumer element can fall to the wayside, along with full touch screen devices. A poor decision.
    10-31-14 02:03 PM
    Flash is very useful. Especially on BB. MLB's website, NFL's website (especially NFL Rewind), NBA etc... they all use flash. Not all have apps that will work on BB, and some the website is 100X better than the app. Also Vidbull and Vodlocker and dozens of other streaming video sites. Same with many municipal search engines like NY ACRIS, one can not view documents without flash (and there is no app for this).

In short, the loss of flash is a big step backwards. BB10 has had flash from the start and has had no security issues as a result. Security is not the reason it was pulled (if it has been). If it was pulled it was part of the misguided understanding that a focus on enterprise mobility is the best course of action, and flash, being a consumer element can fall to the wayside, along with full touch screen devices. A poor decision.
    I presume you know that Adobe has ended Flash for Mobiles life, they did this in 2011. As for MLB's website, I had no issue browsing their mobile site and play videos. It is the responsibility of those sites to move forward with Web standards, as difficult as it may be, it will need to be done.

Posted via CB10
    Carmels likes this.
    10-31-14 02:19 PM
    1. I'm well aware that adobe has stopped updating mobile flash.
    2. MLB live streaming audio and video require flash.
    3. 10's of thousands of sites still use flash. Municipalities are as slow as an iceberg to change and would not expect their websites to update for many years. People hate to pay taxes to begin with let alone for an agency to redo their website.
    4. BB does not have a treasure trove of native apps and has about a 1% global market share. In that position you pull down as much low hanging fruit as possible. Flash was one of those fruits. If BB loses even 1,000 people worldwide because of this - why? Market share is more important in the long run than short term dollars. Market share builds on itself and creates many more dollars down the road by creating incentives for developers to develop native apps, which in turn leads to more market share and things begin to roll the opposite of how they unraveled. There may be a time when BB can ditch Flash support in the browser, but that time is not now.
    10-31-14 02:30 PM
    I switched off flash a couple of weeks ago, and haven't yet used a site where that costs me.

While I agree that the number of websites still using it is higher than many claim, it isn't for BB to "enable" those sites not to update - they've been the only mobile os supporting it for 18 months and it hasn't proved to be a useful differentiator in the overall market, so why bother to continue?

We should be asking mlb when they're going to html5, as I'm sure apple already are

Posted via CB10
    metrodon likes this.
    10-31-14 02:38 PM
    unfortunately there is a full integration with html5, flash should be there.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-31-14 02:57 PM
    until is what i ment to say

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:59 PM
    The 10.3.1 ATT release is a developer one. May be Flash support will be back in the official release.
    10-31-14 03:23 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath if dropping Flash was a money decision, i.e. BlackBerry didn't want to continue paying licensing fees.

As a computer support person, I wish Flash would disappear period.

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 STL 100-3 / 10.3.1.938
    10-31-14 04:39 PM
    Each and every video streaming site requires flash.

I.e. I live in a country where Basketball euroleague is not aired, therefore I can watch my favourite team games via video streaming sites.

I could watch all games on my phone before flash was removed.

Now - well ****.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-31-14 06:57 PM

Now that Html5 a global standard, headed up by Google and Apple employees since the very beginning, is finally ratified you'll soon see new and older content being converted or exclusively made using basic standardized format. Web developers are not likely to waste their time redoing their work over and over again.

BlackBerry - Accept is no substitute. Period!
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    10-31-14 07:02 PM
    Those people who don't care about flash being removed will leaned the value of flash once BlackBerry drop flash support(if they drop)

Can't imagine phone without flash. I watch all the streaming site from my phone. I probably switch to android or ios. Even they don't support their is always an app to access one way or another.

Sob sob

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and jtv1 like this.
    10-31-14 07:28 PM
    Why don't you guys install Firefox and android flash apk...? I personally have no need for flash so find it a bit redundant that every 3rd person has to keep mentioning it... it's BlackBerry IS, and completely their choice if they include it or not... live with it or change phones, simple solution
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-31-14 08:00 PM
    Those people who don't care about flash being removed will leaned the value of flash once BlackBerry drop flash support(if they drop)

Can't imagine phone without flash. I watch all the streaming site from my phone. I probably switch to android or ios. Even they don't support their is always an app to access one way or another.

Sob sob

Posted via CB10
    Flash has NEVER worked great on ANY phone!

Wasn't available on any Treo, aka Palm,
    Android dropped it over a year ago!
    IOS dropped it Teo years ago VERY publicly and HURT stock and interest of Adobe and they had NOTHING to come back with! One of Steve Jobs last and BOLD public announcements - I respect the fudger for doing that because honestly he was straight up right!

Flash 15 is the desktop windows standard. There has been 4 updates in 40 days alone. ALL security related. You want THAT as a Damn concern@?!

Flash Lite didn't work with S60 originally for real websites when Apple worked with Nokia to launch the VERY FIRST WEBKIT Browser on the N80 and N95 as a standard that ALL smartphones today use aka the birthplace for HTML5: thank you Netscape engine and code thank you!!!

-Puck-, gokulesh and atm33 like this.
    10-31-14 08:13 PM
    Each and every video streaming site requires flash.

I.e. I live in a country where Basketball euroleague is not aired, therefore I can watch my favourite team games via video streaming sites.

I could watch all games on my phone before flash was removed.

Now - well ****.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong! Not each and EVERY site requires flash. That's bull and you know it because you have not indexed the entire Web accurately - not even Google has that up to date every minute!!

10-31-14 08:14 PM
    Flash has NEVER worked great on ANY phone!

Wasn't available on any Treo, aka Palm,
    Android dropped it over a year ago!
    IOS dropped it Teo years ago VERY publicly and HURT stock and interest of Adobe and they had NOTHING to come back with! One of Steve Jobs last and BOLD public announcements - I respect the fudger for doing that because honestly he was straight up right!

Flash 15 is the desktop windows standard. There has been 4 updates in 40 days alone. ALL security related. You want THAT as a Damn concern@?!

Flash Lite didn't work with S60 originally for real websites when Apple worked with Nokia to launch the VERY FIRST WEBKIT Browser on the N80 and N95 as a standard that ALL smartphones today use aka the birthplace for HTML5: thank you Netscape engine and code thank you!!!

BlackBerry is not like other platforms. They have tons of developers. One way or another their is another way of delivering media contain over the app. I only use flash for media streaming.

Why so concerned about security now when flash was available from the day 1 bb10 was born.

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S and jtv1 like this.
    10-31-14 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry is not like other platforms. They have tons of developers. One way or another their is another way of delivering media contain over the app. I only use flash for media streaming.

Why so concerned about security now when flash was available from the day 1 bb10 was born.

Posted via CB10
    Because they're flip-flopping, that's why. No wonder BlackBerry is in the position it's in today. Nobody calls them out on their bull**** when it's as plain as day. Bet you they don't even announce that they ended Flash support and just slip it in there hoping nobody will notice.

Also, to your comment, this is exactly what I wanted to post earlier today. BlackBerry does not have the developer backing or the apps to substitute for lack of Flash. iOS and Android have basically every imaginable service out there that requires Flash coded as some sort of native app. What's BlackBerry have? They can't even get Amazon to give them access to all of the core Android apps through their so-called partnership. More apps are being removed by the day too. Where did Groupon go now? It's gone. As is Netflix, and Tripadvisor, and a bunch of others.

So yeah, if you ask me, BlackBerry critically needs Flash.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:46 PM
    No reason to hamper bb10 OS and browser development by trying to accommodate mobile flash v11 from over two years ago.

If you're so desperate for Flash, use a dedicated flash client browser like Photon Browser. It is built specifically for that. Leave our browser clean and mean.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    jtv1 and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-31-14 08:46 PM
    No reason to hamper bb10 OS and browser development by trying to accommodate mobile flash v11 from over two years ago.

If you're so desperate for Flash, use a dedicated flash client browser like Photon Browser. It is built specifically for that. Leave our browser clean and mean.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    Nice suggestion.

I am happy with my current version. They don't have to removed completely. If it is obsolete let it be as long as it works. I wouldn't complaint BlackBerry for not updating flash.

The whole point is if finding what we need most.

For time being I ll just wait for official release and consider using the browser you mentioned. If it is not upto the mark...(hate to say but)...

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:03 PM
    1. I'm well aware that adobe has stopped updating mobile flash.
    2. MLB live streaming audio and video require flash.
    When is the next MLB Game? April 2015?

Z10 STL 100-3 OS 10.3.1.1016
    10-31-14 10:19 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    Really?! Available in BlackBerry World? Really?!

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You get that this has nothing to do with the OS or browser development? You aren't going to nor are you getting a better browser as a result of this change. This is JC cost cutting. Also, shortsightedness.

The device sales may have improved with the Passport, but the overall app situation has gotten worse, and now Flash will be gone too.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:33 PM
    Really?! Available in BlackBerry World? Really?!

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You get that this has nothing to do with the OS or browser development? You aren't going to nor are you getting a better browser as a result of this change. This is JC cost cutting. Also, shortsightedness.

The device sales may have improved with the Passport, but the overall app situation has gotten worse, and now Flash will be gone too.

Posted via CB10
    So what if it's not available in BBW. Neither is Candy Crush or Netflix. The Android Runtime is fully capable of running said apps including Photon Browser. It is fluid and perfectly functional.

Building in legacy support for an old, unsupported technology absolutely has performance implications, not to mention security vulnerabilities. And yes, it saves a bundle in licensing fees. You may think this is trivial, but I would rather direct resources to more important things.

You think Apple, Google, and now BlackBerry are all wrong. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    Last edited by conite; 10-31-14 at 11:10 PM.
    10-31-14 10:58 PM
    It certainly seems that flash will not be present in the 10.3.1.xxxx OS's. We won't know with 100% certanty until the official 10.3.1 drops.

For those who wish to voice their opinions to BlackBerry, I suggest you do so at their feedback site here: https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/

Until then...

[WARN]Let's keep this discussion civil. There are strong opinions on each side of the discussion. If you are unable to debate the pros/cons without getting hot under the collar, please move on to another thread.

Thanks[/WARN]
    GSM-S, D3C0D3R, 00_Agent and 1 others like this.
    10-31-14 11:29 PM
    As useful as Flash may be, I think using its exclusion from future BlackBerry 10 OS's as a reason for defecting is overreacting.

The last Flash version available for Android is 11 and from what I've tried, seems to require some technical fiddling to work.

If Flash is a make or break feature, then one should match their desire for legacy tech by running a legacy OS. I'm personally considering leaving my Z10 with the last stable OS to support flash just in case I need it.

Flash has always been a burden and I'm glad that OS vendors are driving the market towards the more open HTML 5.

Where flash requires specific platform support, optimizations and high processing power, HTML 5 is more standardised and efficient. You can test this by running Netflix on Chrome which now supports HTML 5 on Mac, Linux and is faster than Silverlight.

This kind of efficient interoperability has been a long time coming. Website designers are the ones whom we should be rallying against.

Cry/threaten instead that you will access your sports and other media from a different vendor who doesn't offer their media in exclusive formats or outrightly block Platforms they don't want for anticompetitive reasons.

BlackBerry invested in their users by paying for Flash when everyone else was quitting and they deserve our appreciation for this.

To answer the OP, Flash is useful but not critical.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 11:46 PM
417 123 ...