If this discussion deserves a thread, I think we should also have on debating the merits of Steve Jobs vs Tim Cook. Personally, I think Jobs is a far superior CEO and capable of bringing his company to far greener pastures than Cook. They definitely should bring Steve Jobs back as CEO.

See what I did there? Flash had it's time. That time is passing. Unfortunately, whenever a technological shift occurs, there are transition issues - early adopters being compatible with nothing, late adopters being compatible with nothing, everyone else being caught in the middle, and of course the time, energy, money, and frustration that goes into the awkward period of moving from one way of doing things to the other.

Leaded gas was great for engines, but caused that annoying cancer thing. You bet your *** the transition was tough.

Asbestos is a wonderful insulator with some great fireproofing qualities. But...cancer.

Rotary dialing giving way to touch tone phones? Some people STILL have rotary phones - I don't have a clue how they survive being unable to navigate phone menu systems, but somehow they do...

How 'bout going from English units to the Metric system? That's a really sore one, because the transition was never completed, because of too damn much whining, and the Metric commission unable to finish what they started - so now we have two ways of measuring things and will likely be stuck that way for all eternity, wasting billions of dollars with the inefficiencies and failures caused by this dual system. That's the danger of failing to transition fully, for those of you saying bring back Flash.

If you think this is a painful transition, just wait 'til electric cars really start to gain market traction! Power grids won't be able to cope, gas stations will be harder and harder to find, gasoline supply will be scaled back to try and maintain profitability, so prices will skyrocket...

Like every other successful transition, we must all learn to adapt and cope, and for better or worse suffer through the difficult time, because on the other side things will (hopefully? usually? ideally? maybe?) be better.
    Yes but if the only gas stations in your area only serve leaded gas, what are you to do? Better have a car that can run on leaded gas. If Flash caused cancer, I'd be with you 100%.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    dejanh likes this.
    12-07-14 02:12 PM
    If this discussion deserves a thread, I think we should also have on debating the merits of Steve Jobs vs Tim Cook. Personally, I think Jobs is a far superior CEO and capable of bringing his company to far greener pastures than Cook. They definitely should bring Steve Jobs back as CEO.

See what I did there? Flash had it's time. That time is passing. Unfortunately, whenever a technological shift occurs, there are transition issues - early adopters being compatible with nothing, late adopters being compatible with nothing, everyone else being caught in the middle, and of course the time, energy, money, and frustration that goes into the awkward period of moving from one way of doing things to the other.

Leaded gas was great for engines, but caused that annoying cancer thing. You bet your *** the transition was tough.

Asbestos is a wonderful insulator with some great fireproofing qualities. But...cancer.

Rotary dialing giving way to touch tone phones? Some people STILL have rotary phones - I don't have a clue how they survive being unable to navigate phone menu systems, but somehow they do...

How 'bout going from English units to the Metric system? That's a really sore one, because the transition was never completed, because of too damn much whining, and the Metric commission unable to finish what they started - so now we have two ways of measuring things and will likely be stuck that way for all eternity, wasting billions of dollars with the inefficiencies and failures caused by this dual system. That's the danger of failing to transition fully, for those of you saying bring back Flash.

If you think this is a painful transition, just wait 'til electric cars really start to gain market traction! Power grids won't be able to cope, gas stations will be harder and harder to find, gasoline supply will be scaled back to try and maintain profitability, so prices will skyrocket...

Like every other successful transition, we must all learn to adapt and cope, and for better or worse suffer through the difficult time, because on the other side things will (hopefully? usually? ideally? maybe?) be better.
    "If this discussion deserves a thread" Really? Really? This thread has produced multiple views from both sides of this debate with some really good points being made. Why does this discussion bother you? Is someone forcing you to sit and read this thread? I see how you draw similarities but all you have are moot points. Especially the "electric car" one, that made me laugh so thank you for that. Just Google " Nikola tesla" our entire power grid system ONLY exists because of monetary reasons. How can you regulate wireless power being drawn directly from the earth's ionosphere? You can not! This is why JP Morgan pulled funding and shut Tesla down. JP Morgan needed a grid so he could easily put a meter on and change for every single watt. Wow, you see now I'm completely off topic too. Thanks! It useless points like this that clog this thread from the true discussion. Off topic information is not useful here. What we need to know is, why is flash being potentially dropped? Is it actually on the chopping block in the first place? What are the possible ramifications of this? How can we understand anything if we don't stay on topic? What I really want to know is, what are the exact benefits BlackBerry is looking to gain by dropping flash? Besides the obvious monetary gain.
    Last edited by Furell; 12-07-14 at 02:47 PM.
    12-07-14 02:35 PM
    All urls up to now have been sent.

Posted via CB10
    Furell likes this.
    12-07-14 02:36 PM
    All urls up to now have been sent.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you! We all should take a productive role if this issue has any meaning or impact on our mobile life, business or personal. Thanks again!
    12-07-14 02:44 PM
    What I really want to know is, what are the exact benefits BlackBerry is looking to gain by dropping flash? Besides the obvious monetary gain.
    There is no monetary gain. There is only a short term cost reduction that will in the longer term result in loss of a certain percentage of users.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:20 PM
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141207_132728.png

incisivemedia.com

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:27 PM
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141207_133415.png

moodstream.gettyimages.com

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:34 PM
    Post exact links please guys

It makes it easier to test and send to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:36 PM
    Look at the banner at the top.

Flash Usefulness-img_20141207_133542.png

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/new-fantasyland/

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:36 PM
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141207_133920.png

http://www.globaltv.com then click on any video link.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:41 PM
    12-07-14 03:44 PM
    I just want to note that I am browsing in desktop mode on my Passport. I have the screen real-estate so I don't want to be looking at giant menu options and banners designed for a candy bar shaped iPhone served in mobile mode on many of these sites.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a few.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:46 PM
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141207_135018.png

http://www.sap.com/pc/tech/in-memory...ive/index.html

A bit more on the business front

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 03:51 PM
    12-07-14 04:02 PM
    There is no monetary gain. There is only a short term cost reduction that will in the longer term result in loss of a certain percentage of users.

Posted via CB10
    I think you should probably look up the definition of "monetary". Oh wow look at the secondary definition here ---> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monetary
    Monetary = Cost = $$$ They all mean the same thing "money"! I made no reference as to whether the monetary gain was short term or long term. Also if you look at it from a developers view point, all the developing resources it takes to include flash in BBOS10. With flash gone the whole in-house flash development team could be cut or moved to other projects. Thus resulting in more monetary gain, whether short term or long term, you decide. Plus I'm not even mentioning the corporate licensing fees BlackBerry pays to Adobe. Even more monetary gain to be had. If it short term or long term, I couldn't say because I don't know the whole picture. I do agree with you that the loss of flash will most certainly result in the loss of BlackBerry end-users. I just wish I knew what JC being told about this issue and what he thinks.
    12-07-14 04:07 PM
    12-07-14 04:07 PM
    @Furell - a gain is intrinsically positive and my point in that regard stands. You aren't gaining anything by cutting Flash. I wasn't trying to argue the dictionary definition lol

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 04:10 PM
    12-07-14 04:12 PM
    12-07-14 04:13 PM
    Do we seriously need to catalog the entire Internet before BlackBerry will get the point? Ironically, this is precisely why I chose to use a BlackBerry in the first place. Nobody else actually supported what is used today. Jobs had a lucid dream of an Internet without Flash.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 04:15 PM
    12-07-14 04:18 PM
    12-07-14 04:21 PM
    The list just keeps on goin' eh?

But in reality, this is pretty huge just how many sites use it, and all of these people who are proclaiming Flash is dead need to get off their high-horse and realize It's not even close to dead!

Big sites are still being developed and updated to using Flash with not a single mention of moving away from it because of numerous reasons!

I won't disagree with them, sure HTML5 is the future or maybe even HTML6 by the time Flash gets killed off, but until we see the decline in Flash content to becoming a small fraction, we need proper native Flash support that we can depend on.

Their target market is the business customers, and all of these business customers who chose BlackBerry Passport because of it's great Desktop Mode support are being given the finger.. like..

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-07-14 04:36 PM
    @Furell - a gain is intrinsically positive and my point in that regard stands. You aren't gaining anything by cutting Flash. I wasn't trying to argue the dictionary definition lol

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you mean, but please understand the duality of this issue. I am NOT simply looking from one single view point. The company (BlackBerry) will GAIN monetary from the discontinuation of flash support. Which is positive (short/long term?) for the shareholders and in general the bottom line. That does NOT at all mean it will be positive for end-users, when most certainly it will have a negative effect. At the same time this (short-term/long-term?) monetary gain could be completely overshadowed by the long term negative impact is has on end-users. Which could potentially result in the companies demise. IMHO I believe end-users should prioritized over shareholders. That's just my opinion, most likely because I am not a shareholder. If I was on the opposite side maybe I'd say cut flash because all I care about is ROI now. I believe its been awhile since any investors in BB stock has received ROI, this may be the reason for such a short-sided decision. That's one for a Wallstreet analysis to answer not me.
    Last edited by Furell; 12-07-14 at 05:47 PM.
    12-07-14 04:54 PM
    Do we seriously need to catalog the entire Internet before BlackBerry will get the point? Ironically, this is precisely why I chose to use a BlackBerry in the first place. Nobody else actually supported what is used today. Jobs had a lucid dream of an Internet without Flash.

Posted via CB10
    The entire Internet gains from leaving flash.... less problems for everyone. Thanks for the sites though, sending to bb.

Posted via CB10
    Furell likes this.
    12-07-14 06:17 PM
417 ... 14151617