now play a video and show us on desktop mode. Every single video stream on desktop mode is flash. I promise you that. Try to disable Flash from your Chrome browser at home. HTML5 isn't used in desktop as much as you think it is, sure it might dominate mobile mostly because flash support is discontinued but isn't used as much in desktop.
    You mean like this?
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141125_223719.png

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1151

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0 // 2B6832B1
    -Puck- likes this.
    11-25-14 09:37 PM
    Much of this debate is irrelevant for me because many sites I like to watch video on require flash and I don't care if Youtube is html5. Many don't work and I will be happy when there are no flash sites too. Can't stand it and have never liked it, especially when websites are built on it.

But I do have a Z30 I want to upgrade to 10.3.1 official release when available (still 10.2.1). I have a Z10 with 10.3.1.1154 now and some sites work, others don't. CBC, believe it or not has two streams, one requires flash, one doesn't (I also have a Passport with 10.3.0.1408). CTV requires flash in desktop mode and says video is not supported in mobile mode. NHL highlights work, but don't know about Gamecentre. Shaw (my cable provider) where I watch Movie Central doesn't work. City app from BBW no longer works on my Z10, needs Flash. I watch live streaming dog agility from small providers on my Z30, (which I want to continue to use for most video); one is flash, one isn't. I have emailed them about the future, pushing them to convert.

So my point is that despite this debate of what is best and what isn't, I happen to need flash on my phone now if I want to watch the content I watch today. Tomorrow is another story. I am constantly harassing providers to build apps for BlackBerry but with no market share, they aren't. I am harrasing web content providers to deliver html5 and I want "Play On" capability too.

And I don't want to support Flash per se, as I can see it has no future, but I can't get CTV go, or Shaw Go, or Rogers Gamecenter, TSN go... (and this doesn't count the war between Bell Media, Rogers Media, Telus, Shaw... and what content I get on which)

It seems I am being forced to load Snap and test the Android apps since they aren't on Amazon or BBW. But this won't help for those smaller providers that don't build apps.

So this is now, not tomorrow. There have always been issues with or without flash, but I think it would be nice if our mobile computers, my phones that is, worked with the content "I" watch now and want to watch, not what someone else here thinks I should watch.

And I absolutely prefer my BlackBerry devices for other very important reasons (don't dare tell me to go get Android or iOS) and I want them to work when it comes to the video content "I" watch. And I do understand the potential difficulty, but killing it before the content is changed, sucks! Next major OS upgrade, who knows, but I really do like 10.3.x and want 10.3.1 on all three devices. Blackberry take heart!

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    dejanh and eyesopen1111 like this.
    11-25-14 09:56 PM
    And I use Desktop Mode exclusively. And I have yet to have a problem with video on Youtube on my Z10 with10.3.1.1154 and I do know there is no flash! Definitely not worried about Youtube.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    Thomas Barron95 likes this.
    11-25-14 10:03 PM
    You mean like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141125_223719.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	316964

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1151

Doesn't always work like that. Surprised html5 actually runs some of the YouTube videos. I read somewhere that html5 is used as a secondary to flash.

Still spotty though like trying to watch YouTube videos on other sites.

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014256.png

Didn't realize how slow desktop mode is lol. I ppwould hate using desktop mode on 3G/4G.

Here are some different types of videos from various. Sites and Project free

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014751.png

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014925.png

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015233.png

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015335.png

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015533.png

Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015700.png

The browser is 100% unusable for BlackBerry's target market when on desktop mode. Odd because the Passport is the perfect screen for desktop mode.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:58 AM
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014256.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014751.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_014925.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015233.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015335.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015533.png
    Flash Usefulness-img_20141126_015700.png

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 12:59 AM
    The browser is 100% unusable for BlackBerry's target market when on desktop mode. Odd because the Passport is the perfect screen for desktop mode.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much this. By killing off Flash, BlackBerry killed off the browser desktop mode. It's virtually useless for serious content, as demonstrated by your screenshots. I could actually add more to that as neither of the two major news agencies in Canada work without Flash. Almost everything but pure Google-esque consumer entertainment requires Flash in one form or another.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 01:22 AM
    Pretty much this. By killing off Flash, BlackBerry killed off the browser desktop mode. It's virtually useless for serious content, as demonstrated by your screenshots. I could actually add more to that as neither of the two major news agencies in Canada work without Flash. Almost everything but pure Google-esque consumer entertainment requires Flash in one form or another.

Posted via CB10
    Desktop mode still useful for site that use a lot of javascript to render content. Mobile site is mostly HTML and quite basic.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    11-26-14 03:50 AM
    How about everyone here instead of complaining about no flash with BlackBerry go complain to these sites that are important to update their site to the modern day Internet.

I mean html5 has been around for almost 5 years now, and gas finally become the new standard. Everyone knew this was coming. It's their fault for using old tech.

BlackBerry has realized this and is cutting it out to save tons of money. Not to mention other than downloading flash directly from Adobe themselves, nothing comes with it baked in anymore. It's too insecure.

11-26-14 05:34 AM

I mean html5 has been around for almost 5 years now, and gas finally become the new standard. Everyone knew this was coming. It's their fault for using old tech.
    HTML5 maybe around for 5 years but only this year they finalise the standard. Also the browser need to implement HTML5 support unlike flash which is just plugin.

11-26-14 05:44 AM
    It's not like there isn't a good 3rd party solution out there. I've said it before, give Photon Browser a shot at these sites. Works fine for me.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    11-26-14 06:08 AM
    How about everyone here instead of complaining about no flash with BlackBerry go complain to these sites that are important to update their site to the modern day Internet.

BlackBerry has realized this and is cutting it out to save tons of money. Not to mention other than downloading flash directly from Adobe themselves, nothing comes with it baked in anymore. It's too insecure.

Is this a joke? Even if every BlackBerry customer who is flashless on 10.3.1 complained, that wouldn't make a bit of difference to the broader Internet world because BlackBerry doesn't sell enough devices to matter.

The simple reality is that flash-capable browsers will be relevant as long as there is flash content on the Web that can only be accessed with these flash browsers. HTML has its place, but flash content is a fact of modern life and wishing it weren't so doesn't advance the debate at all.

Are 3rd party browser options just as good as native 10.3.0 BlackBerry browser performance? Not hardly. The flash solution 3rd party browsers in iOS and Android are built to run on their native OSes, but BB10 only had the BlackBerry browser as a native flash solution. And I've seen very mixed reports on the performance of using Android 3rd party flash browsers with 10.3.1, with no one claiming anything else as being just as good as the 10.3.0 native BlackBerry browser (flash performance, creating desktop shortcuts, etc).

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    dejanh likes this.
    11-26-14 07:32 AM
    now play a video and show us on desktop mode. Every single video stream on desktop mode is flash. I promise you that. Try to disable Flash from your Chrome browser at home. HTML5 isn't used in desktop as much as you think it is, sure it might dominate mobile mostly because flash support is discontinued but isn't used as much in desktop.
    Wrong.

I have flash UNINSTALLED on my laptop and I can view Youtube and most other sites just fine.
    11-26-14 07:56 AM
    Are 3rd party browser options just as good as native 10.3.0 BlackBerry browser performance? Not hardly. The flash solution 3rd party browsers in iOS and Android are built to run on their native OSes, but BB10 only had the BlackBerry browser as a native flash solution. And I've seen very mixed reports on the performance of using Android 3rd party flash browsers with 10.3.1, with no one claiming anything else as being just as good as the 10.3.0 native BlackBerry browser (flash performance, creating desktop shortcuts, etc).

Have YOU tried it? Like I said, I find Photon Browser quite nice for those times I trip across Flash sites. Nice too in that it removes the crutch from our native browser. This solution will be perfectly fine for all but the power Flash users.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    11-26-14 08:09 AM

lol i'm not even going to answer that 1magine, eyesopen, dejanh have replied to responses like your's at least 20 times each.

no disrespect because of your history here on crackberry but it's the same regurgitated garbage if you ask me.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    11-26-14 08:33 AM
    Wrong.

I have flash UNINSTALLED on my laptop and I can view Youtube and most other sites just fine.
    i just put pictures up man, they don't lie.. jeez people

haha i'm done wasting time in this thread.
    11-26-14 08:38 AM
    i just put pictures up man, they don't lie.. jeez people

haha i'm done wasting time in this thread.
    This is why I'm primarily giving out thanks and likes at this point. BlackBerry apologists have no limits. It's sad to see how Apple-esque some have come to behave. It's like when Steve Jobs single handedly proclaimed Flash is dead and Apple won't support it. Just because you believe it, it doesn't make it true.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    11-26-14 10:12 AM
    Wrong.

For god sake we all knew youtube already have HTML5 player as default. It is other sites that still use flash we talking. If it youtube we are worrying about then there is an app for youtube.

11-26-14 10:15 AM
    For god sake we all knew youtube already have HTML5 player as default. It is other sites that still use flash we talking. If it youtube we are worrying about then there is an app for youtube.

And those other sites are the ones that need to get with the times.

BlackBerry already has by eliminating flash support. So guess what, if all these websites still run flash in the next 1-2 years, they're going to be hurting for those clicks as people won't be able to view anything on their respective sites using old and security flawed technology.

11-26-14 10:18 AM
    I wish I could vote down posts. I really do.

Posted via CB10
    wojt7, D3C0D3R, sylvaing and 1 others like this.
    11-26-14 10:55 AM
    Thankfully one can't vote down posts. Clearly some would misuse that facility to spurn those with different opinions.

It's baffling how some can be so scornful of BlackBerry after they've gone out of their way to license Flash.

Being unreasonable must take some skill because I personally would start to feel sick if I kept up a negative argument for a long while and didn't walk away.

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simundson and ppeters914 like this.
    11-26-14 11:47 AM
    Congratulations! This was the first step. There is even more you can do:
    Occupy Flash - The movement to rid the world of the Flash Player plugin

Flash Usefulness-occupyflash.jpg
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-26-14 01:03 PM
    It's baffling how some can be so scornful of BlackBerry after they've gone out of their way to license Flash.

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahahaha! Out of their way? What do you think, they did it out of good will?! ROFLMAO

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    11-26-14 01:20 PM
    Then what's the excuse for BB not including the AC3 codec? It was on 10.0

AC3 is one of the most common codecs for watching movies.
    11-26-14 06:46 PM
    Then what's the excuse for BB not including the AC3 codec? It was on 10.0

AC3 is one of the most common codecs for watching movies.
    Because probably they need to pay for licence fee. Not all formats is free to use.

11-26-14 10:05 PM
    Because probably they need to pay for licence fee. Not all formats is free to use.

Yep, after the current flash support regression, it's easy to conclude that Cheapskate Chen will do or has done the same with other key software like the AC3 Codec. It's almost like this guy was brought in to BlackBerry to fire talent, to dump useful software, and to make our phone experience a little less competitive every step of the way.

11-27-14 08:33 AM
417 ... 7891011 ...