I would like to watch youtube videos at 60fps but my phone doesn't want to allow it for me.
    11-06-14 02:58 PM
    Oh really?

iOS doesn't support it native either, nor does Android.

You can sideload it for Android, but it's not in the system by default any more.

So exactly how is this BlackBerry "telling people to go to another platform" when they don't have it built in either?
    Other platforms have a ton of substitutes, that thing called apps. BlackBerry does not have that.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 03:54 PM
    Other platforms have a ton of substitutes, that thing called apps. BlackBerry does not have that.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, no Flash and no apps means NO access for those sites...

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S and niss63 like this.
    11-06-14 04:01 PM
    Why don't you turn off flash in your current browser and tell us?

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    This is the one thing I love about my BB10. Hopefully we will still have an option to use others that would be very annoying that sites which used to work no longer do.

Pretty much every non-subscription sport/tv streaming application.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:36 PM
    I have countless examples where my friends on other OSs would say "Do you have an app for that?.." and I would reply with " I do have a browser that can do that and I am pretty sure it can do it better than that app.."

Without flash IMO using a BlackBerry is quite cumbersome and is lacking in a major way.

I have been using this leak for only a few days now and have noticed how much I relied on flash on earlier OSs.. Yes.. I always had desktop mode and flash on..

Seriously it is a shame that you are expected to use mobile websites on this big and brilliant Passport screen..

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk, dejanh and niss63 like this.
    11-06-14 08:12 PM
    Indeed, no Flash and no apps means NO access for those sites...
    Well good that Blackberry has Flash *AND* all the Android apps then
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-06-14 09:02 PM
    why not just side load the older browser? 10.2.1
    11-07-14 08:49 AM
    why not just side load the older browser? 10.2.1
    Cause there's nothing in the browser app.
    The actual browser is in core os.
    11-07-14 10:55 AM
    Unless that app requires a Google account to work...

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:48 AM
    As useful as Flash may be, I think using its exclusion from future BlackBerry 10 OS's as a reason for defecting is overreacting.

The last Flash version available for Android is 11 and from what I've tried, seems to require some technical fiddling to work.

If Flash is a make or break feature, then one should match their desire for legacy tech by running a legacy OS. I'm personally considering leaving my Z10 with the last stable OS to support flash just in case I need it.

Flash has always been a burden and I'm glad that OS vendors are driving the market towards the more open HTML 5.

Where flash requires specific platform support, optimizations and high processing power, HTML 5 is more standardised and efficient. You can test this by running Netflix on Chrome which now supports HTML 5 on Mac, Linux and is faster than Silverlight.

This kind of efficient interoperability has been a long time coming. Website designers are the ones whom we should be rallying against.

Cry/threaten instead that you will access your sports and other media from a different vendor who doesn't offer their media in exclusive formats or outrightly block Platforms they don't want for anticompetitive reasons.

BlackBerry invested in their users by paying for Flash when everyone else was quitting and they deserve our appreciation for this.

To answer the OP, Flash is useful but not critical.

Posted via CB10
    Flash is generally more efficient than HTML5 in a lot of things. It's really dependent on the browser implementation of HTML5 but it's hard to make javascript run faster than bytecode (taking into consideration translation time if you have a JIT javascript setup). Flash may have a bad video component to it? Or perhaps it's slow at certain interactions. It tends to be more feature rich. Also silverlight is not flash.

The whole strength of flash is its consistent. It is not implemented differently across platforms or browsers and therefore it just works. And often works faster and better than any javascript/html combo.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:43 PM
    Oh really?

iOS doesn't support it native either, nor does Android.

You can sideload it for Android, but it's not in the system by default any more.

So exactly how is this BlackBerry "telling people to go to another platform" when they don't have it built in either?
    The problem is this may have kept people on the platform. Removing it removes an incentive to stay. I don't think android ever had flash in the core OS. iOS never had it because it wasn't practical way back when the iPhone launched and they have apps now so they have no reason to add it. People on the iOS platform just don't care about flash and Apple can afford to ignore the people who want flash. BlackBerry might not be able to afford that loss. I don't know. I'm just giving a rationalization of why BlackBerry dropping flash could be "giving a middle finger" to their customers

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:48 PM
    Unless that app requires a Google account to work...
    In which case you can sideload the patched Google accounts.
    11-07-14 01:55 PM
    Wow - some of you folks are ridiculous. I don't give a flying rat's heiny if anyone doesn't need or use Flash. I do. I use it for work and play. It's not a choice. I don;t care what the entire world wide web will look like in 10 years. Right now - right this second there are ten's of thousands of sites that I use - that use flash. And if one more individual tells me that flash is a security risk I'm going to get really nasty. Flash is a security risk? Really? It's been in BB10 since day 1. Day 1. How many flash infections have been reported, how much patching has BB had to do? Oh that's right NONE! SMH.
    Hahaha yessss

Soo true

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:13 PM
    I respect you for what you do but I hate when people say ohh well we have android apps. They are more full featured than native ones and more up to date but they seriously suck on a bb10 device. Native cascades beats any app on any device, the only issue is that they are all 3rd party and can't keep up with the updates and APIS not available which makes them worse than android apps.

You guys can say what you want but that doesn't fill in the app gap even though 90% of my apps are android because I hate BlackBerry world it's the worst app store I have ever used. .

Lucky patcher works like 5% of the time that it's more of a nuisance in messing around with it then just downloading a lower version with less Google services.

Another thing Google is tying in all big devs to use Google services. So all the latest versions of the most used apps are starting to work less and less.

We have the fastest browser, why risk crippling it? They should be going out of there way to support MORE services to make their browser the bets it can be.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 11-07-14 at 11:45 PM.
    dejanh likes this.
    11-07-14 02:23 PM
    You can't improve on and support something that the manufacturer of the code (1) has closed source for and (2) has deprecated and thus is no longer developing.

You're shooting at the wrong people here.
    thurask and cbcoza like this.
    11-07-14 03:05 PM
    In which case you can sideload the patched Google accounts.
    How do I do that?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:57 PM
    I respect you for what you do but I hate when people say ohh well we have android apps. They are more full featured than native ones and more up to date but they seriously suck on a bb10 device. Native cascades beats any app on app device, the only issue is that they are all 3rd party and can't keep up with the updates and APIS not available which makes them worse than android apps.

You guys can say what you want but that doesn't fill in the app gap even though 90% of my apps are android because I hate BlackBerry world it's the worst app store I have ever used. .

Lucky patcher works like 5% of the time that it's more of a nuisance in messing around with it then just downloading a lower version with less Google services.

Another thing Google is tying in all big devs to use Google services. So all the latest versions of the most used apps are starting to work less and less.

We have the fastest browser, why risk crippling it? They should be going out of there way to support MORE services to make their browser the bets it can be.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I guess everyone is blind to the fact that Google is taking apps and Android to a more and more closed source environment. All top apps are starting to use Google Services so the BlackBerry runtime is not actually getting better. What I want to ask BlackBerry is why they don't just allow Google Play Services? Don't install them by default. Let the user do it. No breach of rules.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:08 PM
    What I want to ask BlackBerry is why they don't just allow Google Play Services? Don't install them by default. Let the user do it. No breach of rules.
    I believe that Blackberry would need to make an agreement with google to allow Google services.

I personally would like that over the amazon partnership. (knowing Google though, they would probably have stupid terms)

I was hoping the Amazon partnership would bring services to BlackBerry, not just an outdated android app store. Prime for consumers and EC2 for enterprise NATIVELY.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 11-07-14 at 11:52 PM.
    11-07-14 11:42 PM
    You can't improve on and support something that the manufacturer of the code (1) has closed source for and (2) has deprecated and thus is no longer developing.

+1
    11-07-14 11:51 PM

Doesn't matter, it's widely used still.

At least blackberry should have a better user agent like iOS has because currently testing an iPhone side by side with a Z30. The iphone is loading some of the sites that z30 can't. Yes i know the iphone doesn't have flash but a lot of websites have an alternate code so people on iPhone can go to the website.

I still think flash should be an option. People were saying it was phasing out back in 2010 on mobile, it's still here loud and clear.

I'm sure you go to the odd site, once in a while with live streaming, a random vimeo / youtube video on it , site that hasn't converted to mobile mode/doesnt have one and you see that annoying message.

For a browser power user, that is crippling the browser. No matter if adobe supports is anymore or not. Do you think the people on XP care that Microsoft doesn't support it anymore and even with Microsoft basically forcing an upgrade it was out numbering win 8 for a long time (sales only picked up recently on win8 for other reasons and Microsoft made business' upgrade from XP).

I have yet to see one good rebuttal to not having flash.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 11-08-14 at 12:17 AM.
    11-08-14 12:03 AM
    I believe that Blackberry would need to make an agreement with google to allow Google services.

I personally would like that over the amazon partnership. (knowing Google though, they would probably have stupid terms)

I was hoping the Amazon partnership would bring services to BlackBerry, not just an outdated android app store. Prime for consumers and EC2 for enterprise NATIVELY.

Posted via CB10
    This is precisely it however. They don't. There are multiple Android makers that don't get into any sort of agreement with Google. They base their devices on AOSP and then simply let the end user install Google Services at their own discretion. It's not like the APKs aren't widely available. BlackBerry is, to my knowledge, instead either redirecting calls to Google Play Services to local BlackBerry equivalent (OK), or sending the calls into the black abyss (not OK).

If they simply let us install Google Play Services on our own accord, we completely solve the app gap and then if they really want to get rid of Flash and other BlackBerry 10 defining goodies, so be it.

I do agree as well that there hasn't been a compelling rebuttal to the argument that Flash is still necessary. The story of "Flash is junk, full of security holes, and should die already" is honestly about 12-13 years old. Guess what, it's still around today and still very widely used.

For some reading go to Wikipedia and search for Adobe Flash, then look at the history. Pay very close attention to the section where BlackBerry (RIM) agrees to continue to develop Flash, after Adobe has announced it is terminating support for mobile Flash.

This is nothing but a cost saving measure. Probably the whole Flash expertise either left or was cut, and BlackBerry likely no longer wants to pay any licensing for what is perceived to be a consumer feature first and foremost.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:37 AM
    This is precisely it however. They don't. There are multiple Android makers that don't get into any sort of agreement with Google. They base their devices on AOSP and then simply let the end user install Google Services at their own discretion. It's not like the APKs aren't widely available. BlackBerry is, to my knowledge, instead either redirecting calls to Google Play Services to local BlackBerry equivalent (OK), or sending the calls into the black abyss (not OK).
    You gave me something to look into thank you. I completely agree with the rest of your post btw.
    11-08-14 10:54 AM
    .. Recycled this post after trying FlashFox pro.
    In the Uk I consume a lot of sports, news and entertainment items from the BBC website. A huge amount of the BBC video offering is packaged using Flash, most notably the iPlayer for catch-up and live tv programmes. HTML5 content is slowly becoming more prevalent, but most of the stuff I, and I'm guessing many other BB10 users in Uk want to view is Flash based. Unsure whether this was a good or bad decision in the longer term, although, it would have helped those who still use BlackBerry as a standard consumer device if a means of accessing Flash content was devised before the decision to drop the player from new OS versions. Although it may tie in with the current enterprise business model being pursued by BlackBerry, it does feel like a backward step regardless of what other platforms developers have decided on this issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 01:22 AM
    I have countless examples where my friends on other OSs would say "Do you have an app for that?.." and I would reply with " I do have a browser that can do that and I am pretty sure it can do it better than that app.."

Without flash IMO using a BlackBerry is quite cumbersome and is lacking in a major way.

I have been using this leak for only a few days now and have noticed how much I relied on flash on earlier OSs.. Yes.. I always had desktop mode and flash on..

Seriously it is a shame that you are expected to use mobile websites on this big and brilliant Passport screen..

Posted via CB10
    Even having an app doesn't always negate the need for flash. The app for some sites is less than fully optimized and some functional content is not accessible through their app or their mobile site.

The beauty of BB10 has been that I haven't had to wait until I was back in front of my laptop to get it done. I could switch to desktop mode, fix the problem and be done with it. This is a major reason I went with the Z30, because the larger screen made this easier to do.

Desktop mode has been really helpful at times; losing flash cripples it.

I don't need it every day, but probably once a week. This has been the only real problem I've encountered in moving to 10.3.1.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 01:24 AM
    *cough* uhm, so I wanted to see the PhoneDog iPhone 6 Plus vs. BlackBerry Passport 30 day challenge...on OS 10.3.1.

Flash Usefulness-img_20141109_120753.png

Now I truly feel like an iSheep <_<

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 02:11 PM
417 ... 23456 ...