I just read an article that firefox is starting to reduce flash or eliminate flash, so what is the future of streaming and can bb10 run more streaming if flash is finally killed off! What about netflix or Hulu or amazon prime? What stops them from working on bb10? What about bb10 on Cobalt and a browser downloaded using Cobalt from the gPlay Store, will they run streaming now that doesn't work on bb10?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    enrod87 likes this.
    07-20-16 09:20 PM
    On mobile, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime will be accessed through apps. So if you can get the Android apps working on BB10, that's how you would do it. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck.
    07-20-16 09:47 PM
    My parents bought a smartTV and a Blu-Ray player about 3 or 4 years ago. Most of the apps on them no longer work, because they were designed when YouTube and Netflix and others used Flash. The manufacturers either can't or chose not to update the apps to work with the current standards.

Which is why I've said over and over: if development for your OS stops, it's only a matter of time before important features stop working. It's not because your OS changed, it's because the rest of the world is constantly changing, requiring constant development if you expect things to keep working. A server-side change can easily break things on devices where no changes have taken place. To minimize these types of pain-points, you need to be using an OS/platform that is under active development.
    07-21-16 12:24 AM
    Just get a supported device
    07-21-16 01:06 AM
    Netflix doesn't use flash. Wouldn't matter.

flash dying-img_20160612_152339.png

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    07-21-16 05:08 AM
    On mobile, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime will be accessed through apps. So if you can get the Android apps working on BB10, that's how you would do it. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck.
    Bottom line for me is I'll use my passport for day to day and my nexus 7 for streaming, which is better with large screen, or use pc. I can also use Hotspot and even use nexus 7 if need be.
    07-21-16 07:51 AM
    Just get a supported device
    When they pry my Passport from my cold dead hand.
    acovey likes this.
    07-21-16 07:57 AM
    When they pry my Passport from my cold dead hand.
    Or when it breaks beyond repair. Or all the 4G networks get shut down to free up bandwidth for 6G.

You know, whichever comes first.
    07-21-16 08:53 AM
    Or when it breaks beyond repair. Or all the 4G networks get shut down to free up bandwidth for 6G.

You know, whichever comes first.
    There's always WiFi!
    07-21-16 08:55 AM
    There's always WiFi!

Depending on your usage model you don't even need the unit powered up.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-21-16 09:51 AM
    Depending on your usage model you don't even need the unit powered up.
    Yup. Will work as a doorstop without any type of carrier support - no monthly fee needed!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Carl Estes like this.
    07-21-16 06:20 PM
    My parents bought a smartTV and a Blu-Ray player about 3 or 4 years ago. Most of the apps on them no longer work, because they were designed when YouTube and Netflix and others used Flash. The manufacturers either can't or chose not to update the apps to work with the current standards.

Which is why I've said over and over: if development for your OS stops, it's only a matter of time before important features stop working. It's not because your OS changed, it's because the rest of the world is constantly changing, requiring constant development if you expect things to keep working. A server-side change can easily break things on devices where no changes have taken place. To minimize these types of pain-points, you need to be using an OS/platform that is under active development.
    Did your parents contact their SmartTV manufacturer and/or Netflix & Google all outraged and then post on forums how they can't believe they've been abandoned? =)
    07-22-16 03:33 PM
    I just read an article that firefox is starting to reduce flash or eliminate flash, so what is the future of streaming and can bb10 run more streaming if flash is finally killed off!....
    Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Didn't the last BB10 release drop Flash anyway?
    07-22-16 03:36 PM
    Did your parents contact their SmartTV manufacturer and/or Netflix & Google all outraged and then post on forums how they can't believe they've been abandoned? =)
    No, they bought a newer BluRay player instead.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    07-22-16 04:16 PM
    I recently read about the flash thing too, and was quite surprised about it.
    07-22-16 09:04 PM
    I recently read about the flash thing too, and was quite surprised about it.
    Flash is a repeated victim of zero day exploits and there are much newer solutions for the same content that don't need a separate plugin. With many companies only making a substantial change when forced to, having Flash support removed, or limited, from every major browser is almost the only way to push the point to content providers to upgrade to something a little more modern.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 05:03 PM
    Yup. Will work as a doorstop without any type of carrier support - no monthly fee needed!
    I'm out of it now, put my Z30 and passport both up for sale after a trial with a used Nexus 6, Nexus 6 has awesome battery life, as good as Passport, and with built in Qualcomm Quick Charge I can put Six hours back on Nexus 6 in 15 minutes! Qualcomm Quick Charge is dynamite! I ended up buying av second Nexus 6 for my wife, $200 for her 32GB and $297 for my 64GB. No more keyboard but swipe works fine for me. I even charged from 25% up to 30% in five minutes on of all things a Qi charger! Oh and Nexus 6 has Google Fi function too.
    08-07-16 05:22 PM
    I'm out of it now, put my Z30 and passport both up for sale after a trial with a used Nexus 6, Nexus 6 has awesome battery life, as good as Passport, and with built in Qualcomm Quick Charge I can put Six hours back on Nexus 6 in 15 minutes! Qualcomm Quick Charge is dynamite! I ended up buying av second Nexus 6 for my wife, $200 for her 32GB and $297 for my 64GB. No more keyboard but swipe works fine for me. I even charged from 25% up to 30% in five minutes on of all things a Qi charger! Oh and Nexus 6 has Google Fi function too.
    6P is a good phone, no doubt. I have one. Be careful you don't drop it though. I've just had mine replaced due to a drop of 4', it had a glass screen protector and a case and the screen virtually shattered. The funny thing was, it shattered underneath the screen protector but the screen protector didn't have a scratch. Be under no illusions of the build quality and don't use a metallic case as the signal takes a nosedive.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-08-16 10:44 AM