And the winner of today's Crackberry Spelling Bee is "OYSTER SAUCE"!!!

Posted via CB10
    *dances* spelling my name wrong makes this award even more special.

Posted via CB10
    john_v and austriker like this.
    03-22-15 06:54 PM
    Well the jury is still out with the Fitbit Charge HR . I moved the placement higher up my arm as Fitbit suggests but the heart rate monitoring is inconsistent in my opinion. I also question the accuracy. I have read that people feel it's within 5 bpm...high or low depending on who's opinion you read.

My other issue is that I purchased the CascaRun Pro App and I can't get it to recognize/pair with the Fibit Charge HR to read the heart monitoring feature. I emailed CascaRun this morning asking why that is but I have not received a reply. I will post up what I get for a response from CascaRun.

I will continue to use the Fitbit Charge HR and see if I am satisfied. If not I will undoubtedly return it.

Bob

Posted via CB 10>Q10-SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576>Z10-STL100-3/10.3.1.2576 On AT&T
    Smitty13 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:34 AM
    Well the jury is still out with the Fitbit Charge HR . I moved the placement higher up my arm as Fitbit suggests but the heart rate monitoring is inconsistent in my opinion. I also question the accuracy. I have read that people feel it's within 5 bpm...high or low depending on who's opinion you read.

My other issue is that I purchased the CascaRun Pro App and I can't get it to recognize/pair with the Fibit Charge HR to read the heart monitoring feature. I emailed CascaRun this morning asking why that is but I have not received a reply. I will post up what I get for a response from CascaRun.

I will continue to use the Fitbit Charge HR and see if I am satisfied. If not I will undoubtedly return it.

Bob

Thanks for the update, Bob. I was thinking of purchasing a Fitbit to pair with CascaRun Pro as well but will hold off until I see what kind of reply you get.

I know people have paired HRMs such as the Polar H7 quite well with that app, but I was looking for something a bit more discreet.

Please keep the updates coming!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 11:39 AM
    Will do...Unfortunately no response from CascaRun yet... :-(

Bob

03-23-15 12:25 PM
    *dances* spelling my name wrong makes this award even more special.
    Sheesh... leave it to a spelling bee champ to point to someone else's spelling mistake. LOL

I just thought "oyster sauce" sounded more appealing than "oyster sourced". Plus, if you're really a pearl of a guy, I don't see how you could possibly dance??? Pearls have no legs.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:39 PM
    Sheesh... leave it to a spelling bee champ to point to someone else's spelling mistake. LOL

I just thought "oyster sauce" sounded more appealing than "oyster sourced". Plus, if you're really a pearl of a guy, I don't see how you could possibly dance??? Pearls have no legs.

Posted via CB10
    Disney. "Under the sea.. bubble bubble"

Posted via CB10
    john_v likes this.
    03-23-15 07:24 PM
    Using os 10.3.1. 2072 and using fitbit app 2.4.2 with no issues other than no notifications

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 09:31 PM
    Thanks for the update, Bob. I was thinking of purchasing a Fitbit to pair with CascaRun Pro as well but will hold off until I see what kind of reply you get.

I know people have paired HRMs such as the Polar H7 quite well with that app, but I was looking for something a bit more discreet.

Please keep the updates coming!

Posted via CB10
    No response to my email from CascaRun regarding the Charge HR not being recognized on their app. I'm disappointed I didn't get a response to my question.

I will send them another email tomorrow... :-(

Bob

03-23-15 09:49 PM
    No response to my email from CascaRun regarding the Charge HR not being recognized on their app. I'm disappointed I didn't get a response to my question.

I will send them another email tomorrow... :-(

Bob

Best of luck, Bob. Not sure how long it has been since you sent your first message but I can remember the developers for CascaRun were usually very responsive, at least in the early days of the app.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 10:27 PM
    I just did the CascaRun Pro update hoping my Fitbit Charge HR would be recognized to allow me to monitor my heart rate but nope... :-(

I have sent another email asking why it isn't. If I get a reply I will post up an update.

Bob

03-24-15 08:25 AM
    Hi,

We have not been able so far to find out which protocol the Fitbit Charge HR
    is using. Unfortunately, it seems to use a proprietary protocol instead of the
    standard one.

CascaRun works with most Bluetooth Smart (4.0) monitors using the standard
    heart rate specifications.

If you have more information about the protocol used by the Fitbit Charge HR,
    we may be able to implement support for it. If not, I fear that the usage is
    limited to the official Fitbit app.

Best regards,
    Benoit.

I just received this response from CascaRun...not very encouraging... :-(

Bob

03-24-15 08:36 AM
    Hi,

standard one.

Best regards,
    Benoit.

Bob

Drats! Proprietary protocol eh? Oh how I loathe those at times. It really just creates many closed systems that do not play at all with other devices.

Thanks for the update nonetheless, Bob.

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    03-24-15 10:06 AM
    My experience with Fitbit is using the One and Aria scale. I'm not overly active, I wanted to measure my general activities. For this purpose, the One does a great job. I keep it in my pocket during the day and use the wristband to measure my sleep. I use the app to measure nutrition.

I do think there are other devices that are better for Active users. My One, at under $50, was perfect for measuring the sedentary, in my lifestyle.
    03-24-15 02:11 PM
    Hi,

standard one.

Best regards,
    Benoit.

Bob

Drats! Proprietary protocol eh? Oh how I loathe those at times. It really just creates many closed systems that do not play at all with other devices.

Thanks for the update nonetheless, Bob.

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking the way for the CascaRun developer to go is not to try to get the app to sync with the device, but with the Fitbit account, kind of like MyFitnessPal does. I use MFP for entering food, because their database is way awesome and you can scan bar codes. But the 2 accounts talk to each other...FitBit app recognizes when you've logged food, MFP recognizes calories burned from FitBit.

I dunno...I'm not a developer, just spitballing here, thinking out loud.
    03-24-15 02:23 PM
    Hi,

standard one.

Best regards,
    Benoit.

Bob

Thanks Bob, downloaded the free version of CasaRUn and tried it for the first time this morning. Came home and bought the pro version, hope they can fix that soon. On another note, Casa shows me .8 of a mile more than my fitbit and GPS can't lie so I'm thinking it could be the way fitbit reads my stride? Not sure.

Posted via One Very Cool Passport!
    03-28-15 11:42 AM
    Thanks Bob, downloaded the free version of CasaRUn and tried it for the first time this morning. Came home and bought the pro version, hope they can fix that soon. On another note, Casa shows me .8 of a mile more than my fitbit and GPS can't lie so I'm thinking it could be the way fitbit reads my stride? Not sure.

Hey Brad,

I am only throwing this out there as anecdotal evidence, so do not take this to the bank, but I would hazard a guess your Fitbit device might be a touch off.

My girlfriend has a Fitbit device linked to her Android phone and we often times go walking together; I am just using CascaRun Pro to track my walking. I too have noticed there being a difference in distance logged between her and I, although I believe it was only around 0.1-0.2 miles differentiation and not 0.8. Then again, that walk was approximately only 2-3 miles in length so I'd assume the further you go, the more "off" the calculations would be.

Additionally, I have noticed her Fitbit device (middle of the road one that goes around your wrist that cost approximately $90 on amazon I believe?) sometimes fails to track the odd random step. While this isn't exactly devastating to the accuracy, I would hazard a guess that if you were to walk 10 miles or more, it would start to add up to somewhat significant distances missed.

I would be inclined to think like you do and trust the GPS. While it is not perfect, it does not rely on counting a step that it may miss if the body movements aren't spot on.

Suffice to say, I would love to get a Fitbit to link up to CascaRun in the future. I encourage you all to write to the developer to see what they can do. I do believe CascaRun is by far the best fitness tracker for BlackBerry bar none. In fact, I think I'll go fire off my own email to the developer right now!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 12:23 PM
    I find the distance accuracy of the Fitbit Charge HR to be inaccurate based on the distance I logged on CascaRun and checked with Google maps. CascaRun and Google map agree on the distance...Fitbit is showing to be less in a 3 mile distance by about a half a mile.

I exchanged my first Fitbit because the heart rate was not accurate. The replacement seems better but I'm still analyzing. The other issue I'm not happy about is that it registers steps when I'm riding my motorcycle...and when driving my car. More on my motorcycle for sure.

I'm going to use it for a few more days and see if I think it's worth keeping. If not I will return it for a refund.

Bob

03-28-15 06:51 PM
    Fitbit trackers that don't use GPS, calculate distance based on the number of steps you take times your stride length. By default Fitbit determines your stride length based on height and gender. It's an approximation as individuals of equal height can have different stride lengths, so the accuracy of it being off could cause the discrepancy with GPS measurements.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 10:48 PM
    Also according to this blog post, the HR monitor is proprietary.

Charge HR features Fitbit�s proprietary PurePulse optical heart rate technology, which provides continuous and automatic wrist-based heart rate monitoring, without an uncomfortable chest strap. PurePulse uses safe LED lights to detect blood volume changes right on the wrist to deliver heart rate monitoring 24/7.

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge...h7kzkq21ges0ri

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 10:57 PM
    Anyone had problems with Bluetooth, after their Fitbit has been connected? I have a Z10 running the current release (not leak) and the latest Android Fitbit app through Snap. I find that I have to reboot my phone to get BT to work again. It will not connect to any of my communications devices. This does not happen every time (which makes troubleshooting even more problematic). Cycling BT off and on has no effect. The app works pretty well, although sometimes has trouble finding the tracker (I have the Charge). If I notice my phone isn't connecting to my truck, I reboot. After the reboot, everything works fine. I found that syncing in the background works best for me. If I leave that off, sometimes the forced sync just won't work (although it will after a reboot...). This is the first time I have had a consistent problem that requires a reboot since February 5, 2013!

Thoughts?
    dgmock likes this.
    04-01-15 02:50 PM
    Anyone had problems with Bluetooth, after their Fitbit has been connected? I have a Z10 running the current release (not leak) and the latest Android Fitbit app through Snap. I find that I have to reboot my phone to get BT to work again. It will not connect to any of my communications devices. This does not happen every time (which makes troubleshooting even more problematic). Cycling BT off and on has no effect. The app works pretty well, although sometimes has trouble finding the tracker (I have the Charge). If I notice my phone isn't connecting to my truck, I reboot. After the reboot, everything works fine. I found that syncing in the background works best for me. If I leave that off, sometimes the forced sync just won't work (although it will after a reboot...). This is the first time I have had a consistent problem that requires a reboot since February 5, 2013!

Thoughts?
    My wife and I both have the Passport. She never had any problems with bluetooth while I did go through what you speak of. It did clear up with the next fitbit update for me though and I haven't had a problem since then. There was an update Mar 19th to the app through Snap, don't know if you have that one. Could also try deleting the app, and previous apk files, restart and reinstall?

04-01-15 06:26 PM
    I'm throwing in the towel with my Fibit Charge HR and I'm returning it tomorrow. There are a number of issues I'm not pleased with and the inconsistency and inaccuracy of the heart rate feature is the most significant one. This was the single most important feature that I was interested in.

I have tried over the past12 days to do all the suggested remedies and recommendations from Fitbit but bottom line is the heart rate function is not accurate. Today while at a doctor appointment the variance in my actual resting heart rate with a monitor in his office and what the Fibit registered was too far off. The Fibit Charge HR was showing 10-12 bpm higher on my resting heart rate than the monitor...I would tend to agree with the monitor in my doctor's office.

So that was the clincher for me I'm afraid and I will go back to a Polar chest strap monitor. The Polar will also work with CascRun Pro where the Fitbit would not.

Bob

04-01-15 07:27 PM
    I'm throwing in the towel with my Fibit Charge HR and I'm returning it tomorrow. There are a number of issues I'm not pleased with and the inconsistency and inaccuracy of the heart rate feature is the most significant one. This was the single most important feature that I was interested in.

I have tried over the past12 days to do all the suggested remedies and recommendations from Fitbit but bottom line is the heart rate function is not accurate. Today while at a doctor appointment the variance in my actual resting heart rate with a monitor in his office and what the Fibit registered was too far off. The Fibit Charge HR was showing 10-12 bpm higher on my resting heart rate than the monitor...I would tend to agree with the monitor in my doctor's office.

So that was the clincher for me I'm afraid and I will go back to a Polar chest strap monitor. The Polar will also work with CascRun Pro where the Fitbit would not.

Bob

Sorry to hear about that bad luck, Bob. After all of my research one consistent thing I did find was the issue of heart rate monitoring with a Fitbit.

I certainly would say this is not just you experiencing this, but rather, I think this was Fitbit trying to jam in features prematurely. As a steps counter, I am sure it's great, but as a heart rate monitor (where it's usually placed) it would be marginal at best.

Thanks for the update all the same.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:08 AM
    Sorry to hear about that bad luck, Bob. After all of my research one consistent thing I did find was the issue of heart rate monitoring with a Fitbit.

I certainly would say this is not just you experiencing this, but rather, I think this was Fitbit trying to jam in features prematurely. As a steps counter, I am sure it's great, but as a heart rate monitor (where it's usually placed) it would be marginal at best.

Thanks for the update all the same.

Posted via CB10
    They are not designed to be medical grade monitoring devices, any device similar to a FitBit is designed to help monitor trends. Use medical grade equipment to get a comparison of their accuracy and then you can pull more meaningful conclusions from the data.

Posted via CB10
    john_v and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-02-15 09:02 AM
    They are not designed to be medical grade monitoring devices, any device similar to a FitBit is designed to help monitor trends. Use medical grade equipment to get a comparison of their accuracy and then you can pull more meaningful conclusions from the data.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with Oyster on this one. I bought my Charge HR knowing full well that it's not intended to be a medical-grade device. I've found mine to be fairly accurate, and it gives me a ballpark set of data to share with my dr. If he wants more exact results, he can order in house tests.

That being said, Bob, I don't fault you for returning it. If it's not doing what you want or giving you the results you expect or desire, definitely no sense in keeping it.

One thing I'll suggest, maybe you have a faulty unit. My wife had to get Fitbit to send her a new one, as hers would just randomly shut down during the day, even on a full charge.
    04-02-15 09:08 AM
81 1234