Now THAT's productivity!
    01-16-18 10:28 AM
    Well, I moved to a Priv a few months back and never backed up my Whatsapp messages on my Q10. With it now defunct, how can I get a backup of my conversations to read them ever again?
    01-16-18 10:38 AM
    For those who didn't install Android WA + WA Fix, don't want to risk if it works or whatever...
    I have a BB Classic and this works..for now

1. Change your Date to 1.1.2018.
    2. Now, open WA via icon in your menu, send some test message to someone and get a reply one.
    3. While still in WA(don't close it, just minimize) change your date in phone Settings, put everything back to normal/auto update.
    4. Exit Settings, Exit WA.
    Now you should be able to communicate with everybody from existing Chats entering WA Chat ONLY via BB Hub. Just avoid entering WA via app icon. Enter your Chats only over BB Hub!
    From my experience, you can repeat these steps anytime if you enter WA via main menu icon by mistake.

It's a bit silly, but it works and my phone is up to date and everything works as usuall.

Cheers
    ARQ-Keighley likes this.
    01-17-18 07:36 AM
    For those who didn't install Android WA + WA Fix, don't want to risk if it works or whatever...
    I have a BB Classic and this works..for now

1. Change your Date to 1.1.2018.
    2. Now, open WA via icon in your menu, send some test message to someone and get a reply one.
    3. While still in WA(don't close it, just minimize) change your date in phone Settings, put everything back to normal/auto update.
    4. Exit Settings, Exit WA.
    Now you should be able to communicate with everybody from existing Chats entering WA Chat ONLY via BB Hub. Just avoid entering WA via app icon. Enter your Chats only over BB Hub!
    From my experience, you can repeat these steps anytime if you enter WA via main menu icon by mistake.

It's a bit silly, but it works and my phone is up to date and everything works as usuall.

Cheers
    ------
    Nice One!!! However, need the app in my sad world. If you come across an alternate solution for the app via it's icon without having to do the date amend or just contact people via What'sApp via the hub menu, only; would love to hear from you or anyone else with a work around … and still use BlackBerry os10 without having to move to an Android or iOS handset to keep up with What'sApp sanctioned handsets.
    01-17-18 07:47 AM
    ------
    Nice One!!! However, need the app in my sad world. If you come across an alternate solution for the app via it's icon without having to do the date amend or just contact people via What'sApp via the hub menu, only; would love to hear from you or anyone else with a work around … and still use BlackBerry os10 without having to move to an Android or iOS handset to keep up with What'sApp sanctioned handsets.
    Download WhatsApp from www.whatsapp.com/android.

Install app, tap OUTSIDE the box when warned about Google Play Services.

Run patch from BlackBerry World:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/60005088

You will need an SD card for this to work.
    ARQ-Keighley likes this.
    01-17-18 07:59 AM
    ------
    Tnx ...Well, the thing with the date is just for tricking WA for a moment, you switch it back to normal after it. From Hub, you can filter only WA conversations and by clicking Compose you will enter WA, but via back door. From there you'll have access to everything, as usual. The only difference is that you don't use your Icon anymore. Hope this explains more. Of course if I come across something better I'll post it
    01-17-18 08:19 AM
    Yes. I'm okay with people taking any risk they please, but the fact that so few even appreciate the risks they are taking is a bit scary.

The biggest weakness in the Android security model is that it allows people to willingly compromise their device, and research has shown that people will jeopardize their security on mobile devices for very minor perceived benefits, such as a vague promise of an app in its description and a few, easy to engineer positive reviews or mentions in public forums.

So long as a user owns all the information on their device, I guess it's fine if they don't mind being victimized, but if they have other people's information, ranging from sensitive photographs to their employers' or clients' data then it becomes a much bigger problem.

I know at least two senior executives who lost their jobs for allowing sensitive data to be accessed after they installed unauthorized applications that compromised data on their phones.

Interestingly, I know of dozens of cases of phishing by apps from official play stores (Apple and Google). Apparently if you present a mobile user with an official-looking screen with a familiar logo and username/password fields they are likely to enter their credentials without giving it a second thought because they assume their phones are secure.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Why is it a weakness on mobile and not on desktop/laptop computer? People have had the possibility to "willingly compromise their device" on Windows/Linux/MacOS for a few decades now and the world still hasn't ended.

Why do you think this approach is more dangerous on mobile than on desktop? Or do you think we should forcefully adapt the app store model for desktop OSs as well?
    01-17-18 09:07 AM
    Duplicate post due to subway tunnels.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-17-18 at 10:15 AM.
    01-17-18 09:51 AM
    It's rampant on both platforms. Almost all major breaches involve a user clicking on something they shouldn't. I'd estimate that it's more prevalent on PCs, in fact.

The reason it's so effective on mobile is that people are more distracted in the environments where they use their mobile phones. It's no different from any other crime or attack. The attacker looks for situations where a person js slightly disoriented and distracted.

01-17-18 09:56 AM
    It's rampant on both platforms. Almost all major breaches involve a user clicking on something they shouldn't. I'd estimate that it's more prevalent on PCs, in fact.

The reason it's so effective on mobile is that people are more distracted in the environments where they use their mobile phones. It's no different from any other crime or attack. The attacker looks for situations where a person js slightly disoriented and distracted.

and more dangerous because people keep everything on their phones.
    also, android is a rather insecure platform so there are tons of holes to exploit, any one of them giving you full access to everything. and theres billions of android phones..all sharing the same flaws, with completely scattered levels of patching and updates

Posted via CBX
    Last edited by wingnut666; 01-17-18 at 10:31 AM.
    01-17-18 10:01 AM
    worst of all is the fact that there is next-to-no control over the apps you install on your phone. most apps have malicious aspects to them...everyone is trying to grab all the info they can, while they can, to later monetize it. information is valuable. look at the list of permissions before installing any app and ask yourself why the h3ck this app should get access to such and such in order to do what it purports to do..

Posted via CBX
    01-17-18 10:04 AM
    Duplicate post due to subway tunnels.
    Where are you in subway tunnels at?
    01-17-18 10:22 AM
    Where are you in subway tunnels at?
    DC

01-17-18 10:22 AM
    most apps have malicious aspects to them...

...look at the list of permissions before installing any app and ask yourself why the h3ck this app should get access to such and such in order to do what it purports to do..
    First off, I would say "some", not "most".

Second, in the vast majority of cases, developers are simply being lazy when asking for a lot of permissions. You can monitor them after, and see that most of them are never used.

Third, Google is trying to clamp down on this. We'll see a huge improvement with the new rules regarding the "target" API initiative.
    01-17-18 10:24 AM
    First off, I would say "some", not "most".

Second, in the vast majority of cases, developers are simply being lazy when asking for a lot of permissions. You can monitor them after, and see that most of them are never used.

Third, Google is trying to clamp down on this. We'll see a huge improvement with the new rules regarding the "target" API initiative.
    I agree with all of this. I think Google has been moving in the right direction in terms of security. It's been a major focus, and the Android security model is strong and robust.

The problem is getting from the past to the future Android. Developers and OEMs have been generally disinterested in security as their only goals have been financial.

And users have been lulled into a false sense of security that apps are generally risk free. Apps ARE generally risk free, individually, but are not at all risk free as a collective.

pdr733 likes this.
    01-17-18 10:30 AM
    Having run the WA fixer and all, WA is working. However, I am missing quite a few contacts...they are still in the normal BB10 address book but not found in WA.

How can this be? For example my sister's contact is missing, but it had been in there for quite some time already.

Recent chats were restored btw.

Help please.
    01-17-18 02:39 PM
    worst of all is the fact that there is next-to-no control over the apps you install on your phone. most apps have malicious aspects to them...everyone is trying to grab all the info they can, while they can, to later monetize it. information is valuable. look at the list of permissions before installing any app and ask yourself why the h3ck this app should get access to such and such in order to do what it purports to do..

Posted via CBX
    Want to Avoid Malware on Your Android Phone? Ditch Google’s App Store goo.gl/fb/pRv6ju #security #opinion

https://www.wired.com/story/android-...les-app-store/

Posted via CBX
    01-21-18 08:28 AM
    Yeah the native version doesn't work and the Android version doesn't work as fast. I don't like WhatsApp so much especially since it was bought by Facebook because who knows what they do with those conversations that are supposedly encrypted. They already know who all your friends and acquaintances are so that may be enough. I use WhatsApp to talk to family and friends that live in other countries but it's also that sending a voice note works really well in lieu of typing a message and I think that's why WhatsApp became so popular. I'm waiting for the BB Motion to be released by a U.S. carrier so I can go to their store and use it to see how I like it. Someone suggested that WhatsApp couldn't invade your privacy enough with the BB version and I thought it was both humorous and plausible. I wish more people used BBM. I think I'll just tell my overseas buddies to use BBM and tell them it's better for privacy and if not they won't be able to talk to me. I'll end up living in a cave with all my BB10 buddies. Suddenly I don't feel so bad.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 02:33 PM
    Don't know what to do without WA. Seriously. It's the most widely used thing in my country. God give you patience without WA!
    02-12-18 02:44 AM
    Don't know what to do without WA. Seriously. It's the most widely used thing in my country. God give you patience without WA!

Install app, tap OUTSIDE the box IF warned about Google Play Services.

02-12-18 05:44 AM
    Download WhatsApp from Android.

Ok, thank you so much but I'm already using WA. I didn't ask for help. I'm trying to emphasize my love for the app lol
    02-13-18 06:15 AM
    Just downloaded Whatsapp from their website, whitelisted this version, then patched on PC with cobalt's Patcher 1.6. When trying to launch the patched version on my Q10 (10.3.3.3057), I'm getting the below error.

The unpatched version runs flawless. The patch was executed with no errors. So far I've done the same only with Skype Lite and had no issues here. Is Patcher having known issues with Whatsapp?

Finally, Whats App is off!-img_20180213_220619.png
    Finally, Whats App is off!-img_20180213_221939.png
    02-13-18 09:31 PM
    Just downloaded Whatsapp from their website, whitelisted this version, then patched on PC with cobalt's Patcher 1.6. When trying to install the patched version on my Q10 (10.3.3.3057), I'm getting the below error.

Installing the unpatched version works flawless. The patch was executed with no errors. So far I've done the same only with Skype Lite and had no issues here. Is Patcher having known issues with Whatsapp?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180213_220619.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	434310
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180213_221939.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	434311
    You simply don't need to patch either WhatsApp or Skype Lite.
    02-13-18 09:37 PM
    I do if I want to get rid of the Google Play Services warning, correct?
    02-13-18 09:47 PM
    I do if I want to get rid of the Google Play Services warning, correct?
    No. They shouldn't bother you after the first time.

02-13-18 09:51 PM
154 ... 4567