I think it's OK, too. That wasn't my point.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Understood. My bad.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    01-15-18 07:44 PM
    I absolutely believe you and Invictus0. That wasn't my point at all.

I'm just suggesting that people are much too cavalier about installing apps and software. The app store model creates a false sense of security that the apps have no risk, when EVERY piece of software, no matter how well screened, increments the risk on our platforms.

I work with clients every day who have lost control of sensitive information, and the number one root cause is a socially engineered hack that was initiated through an app from the Apple or Android app store.

Can you please provide more information about bad apps on Google play and the Apple store. Are you saying there are apps on these stores that can steal information from the secure areas in other applications?
    01-15-18 08:12 PM
    Can you please provide more information about bad apps on Google play and the Apple store. Are you saying there are apps on these stores that can steal information from the secure areas in other applications?
    no. we're saying most do.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 08:22 PM
    Agreed. I really wasn't suggesting that the app was iffy. Just reacting to how easily it is to get people to click a link in a forum to download an executable!

Have you never noticed how easily folks just install random APK files around here? lol. At least this was a BlackBerry World app. Even in this thread alone, people are installing random WhatsApp APK files despite the official WhatsApp site having it readily available for download.
    01-15-18 08:29 PM
    Have you never noticed how easily folks just install random APK files around here? lol. At least this was a BlackBerry World app. Even in this thread alone, people are installing random WhatsApp APK files despite the official WhatsApp site having it readily available for download.
    agreed, but honestly whatsapp is bad. how to deal with that reality?

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 08:32 PM
    agreed, but honestly whatsapp is bad. how to deal with that reality?

Posted via CBX
    Move to a cabin far in the woods, away from civilation, naturally.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-15-18 08:33 PM
    Move to a cabin far in the woods, away from civilation, naturally.
    or use bb10 & telegram and limit the number of apps.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 08:34 PM
    or use bb10 & telegram and limit the number of apps.

Posted via CBX
    One could argue that Teleram is just as bad as WhatsApp, but I digress. You do you.
    01-15-18 08:37 PM
    One could argue that Teleram is just as bad as WhatsApp, but I digress. You do you.
    i'm interested in hearing the argument.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 08:38 PM
    i'm interested in hearing the argument.

Posted via CBX
    Just read their Wiki page, there's lots of arguments (for and against) to be made using the data provided there. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegr...aging_service) Personally, I don't care either way, I understand what I'm giving up when using apps and services and balance that but people get caught up in the 'this app is secure, but this app isn't' arguments, often taking things at face value and bad research.
    01-15-18 08:46 PM
    thanks
    i have backups that the old whatsapp was creating daily, before it completly died today. all sitting in the misc/whatsapp/backup folder. whatsapp plus did not recognize them even after i renamed 1, following this link: https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/20887921/
    looks all data is kaput, yes?
    Pretty much, you can't import WhatsApp databases created on a different platform. The only exception was the experimental "Android export" feature on the native BB10 client but you had to manually create them when the app was still working.

At this point if you can still open WhatsApp on BB10 you can try doing an email export of specific chats.
    01-15-18 09:02 PM
    Just read their Wiki page, there's lots of arguments (for and against) to be made using the data provided there. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegr...aging_service) Personally, I don't care either way, I understand what I'm giving up when using apps and services and balance that but people get caught up in the 'this app is secure, but this app isn't' arguments, often taking things at face value and bad research.
    i've now read the entire wikipedia article and am fully satisfied with my choice. the article criticizes the encryption of the server-based chats but gives a perfect score to the secret chats. i'm comfortable with the possibility of imperfect encryption, though i doubt that the design is flawed and there is no proof of it being so. it is well-known that facebook monetizes your private information and is in the back pocket of nefarious govt organizations. take your pick.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:05 PM
    WhatsApp has been off of my BlackBerry Q10 from the 1st of 2018.
    01-15-18 09:14 PM
    Hopefully Cobalt's google playstore is still a good solution to this problem?
    01-16-18 12:49 AM
    Hopefully Cobalt's google playstore is still a good solution to this problem?
    Answer is already in previous posts from this thread.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 02:02 AM
    U CAN SEND VIDEOS AND GIFS TOO WITH THE WHATSAPP FIXER, JUST RETRY 2 OR 3 TIMES, IT WORKS FOR ME, WILL WORK FOR ALL, IT ALSO SEND ALL TYPES OF FILES.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 03:06 AM
    No, people were just misreading the post in the final week for some reason.

You'll get Android bell notifications in the Hub but not Hub integration like the native app.
    Regarding that Whatsapp Android version: it keeps saying: "A new version is available.. do you want to install it now??"
    Do we update or not???
    Thanks..
    01-16-18 03:50 AM
    Same here. I've installed BBM now on all our iPhones at home as well as on a few close friends'. And life is hunky dory
    Perhaps BBM will make a come back?! Unless BB stop support for legacy devices, including BB10, which would be somewhat ironic
    01-16-18 05:47 AM
    Hey guys for who hasn't deleted yet native whatsapp I found a solution to continue use it: follow these steps If you want to continue use native whatsapp:
    1. When appears the phrase "cannot send message " change your date to a day before 31 dec.
    2. Open whatsapp App from icon. Now you can send messages.
    3. Close whatsapp icon app.
    4. Set back your date to the right one.
    5. Now If you use whatsapp only from hub(there is a section whatsapp where you can do everything, compose messages, read and open old conversation) WITHOUT opening the app from icon, than you can use it perfectly.
    If you want to change settings or your photo you have to rechange the date back and on the right one again.
    If you ask me why do all this steps, I answer you that with the native app you can continue to send all media files with no limitations, notifies arrives always in time (more than Android version) and you can continue to have hub integration, but it is your choice.
    Last edited by matteope; 01-16-18 at 06:12 AM.
    ARQ-Keighley likes this.
    01-16-18 06:00 AM
    Hey guys for who hasn't deleted yet native whatsapp I found a solution to continue use it: follow these steps If you want to continue use native whatsapp:
    1. When it appears the phrase "cannot send message " change your date to a day before 31 dec.
    2. Open whatsapp App from icon. Now you can send message.
    3. Close whatsapp icon app.
    4. Set back your date to the right one.
    5. Now If you use whatsapp only from hub(there is a section whatsapp where you can do everything, compose messages, read and open old conversation) WITHOUT opening the app from icon but using it from the hub.
    If you want to change settings or your photo you have to rechange time back and on the right one again.
    If you ask me why this, I answer you that If you continue with native you can send all media files with no limitations, and also notifies arrives always in time (more than Android version) and you can continue have hub integtation, it's your choice.
    ------
    Just making a couple of queries on what sounds like a great hack/ way round this headache of BlackBerry & What'sApp falling out.

When you said " If you want to change settings or your photo you have to rechange time back and on the right one again. " … are you referring to making these changes in the main app, so it'll require a Date: change under bb10 os settings?

Also, didn't see your message until I broke down & moved my account to an iPhone, with he hopes that I can still review my bb10 whatsapp account til I can get the ported version up to speed. Guess I jumped the gun. Ooops!

Many thanks for the work-around for bb10. May try to go back & see if it'll work … ? Even though I've moved handsets for the account … heheheheh. So far I , an still ill see all my conversations on my bb10 version. Just can't send out ; unless I use your suggestion. Will update if my after thought works. Cheers/Thanks!
    01-16-18 06:13 AM
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it's relatively simple to engineer an app to fool a user into entering his or her credentials directly into the app. This does not require any workarounds to the Android security model, and cannot easily be detected. It's a form of phishing scheme.

This kind of social engineering attack is made possible by the normalization of the idea of quick, easy, casual software installations from the major app stores and the frequent request for credentials on devices.

Researchers have shown this to be effective, and, so long as the app.itself does what it says, the user may not perceive anything is wrong.

The best protection for this is 1) don't install apps you don't need; 2) pay attention the first few times you open a new app and don't provide any sensitive information, such as credentials; 3) delete apps you're not using regularly; and 4) use multi-factor authentication for all stores of sensitive data.

01-16-18 06:23 AM
    ------
    Just making a couple of queries on what sounds like a great hack/ way round this headache of BlackBerry & What'sApp falling out.

When you said " If you want to change settings or your photo you have to rechange time back and on the right one again. " … are you referring to making these changes in the main app, so it'll require a Date: change under bb10 os settings?

Also, didn't see your message until I broke down & moved my account to an iPhone, with he hopes that I can still review my bb10 whatsapp account til I can get the ported version up to speed. Guess I jumped the gun. Ooops!

Many thanks for the work-around for bb10. May try to go back & see if it'll work … ? Even though I've moved handsets for the account … heheheheh. So far I , an still ill see all my conversations on my bb10 version. Just can't send out ; unless I use your suggestion. Will update if my after thought works. Cheers/Thanks!
    --------------
    Check this out! Yep, in the process of setting up whatsapp on the iPhone & went through & changed the Date: as asvised. Works a treat. Just need to report number back to bb10 What'sApp.

… will keep you posted ! Looking good so far!!!!
    01-16-18 06:27 AM
    Yes. I'm okay with people taking any risk they please, but the fact that so few even appreciate the risks they are taking is a bit scary.

The biggest weakness in the Android security model is that it allows people to willingly compromise their device, and research has shown that people will jeopardize their security on mobile devices for very minor perceived benefits, such as a vague promise of an app in its description and a few, easy to engineer positive reviews or mentions in public forums.

So long as a user owns all the information on their device, I guess it's fine if they don't mind being victimized, but if they have other people's information, ranging from sensitive photographs to their employers' or clients' data then it becomes a much bigger problem.

I know at least two senior executives who lost their jobs for allowing sensitive data to be accessed after they installed unauthorized applications that compromised data on their phones.

Interestingly, I know of dozens of cases of phishing by apps from official play stores (Apple and Google). Apparently if you present a mobile user with an official-looking screen with a familiar logo and username/password fields they are likely to enter their credentials without giving it a second thought because they assume their phones are secure.

01-16-18 06:48 AM
    ------

When I say: "If you want to change settings or your photo you have to rechange time back and on the right one again. " I mean that If you want to change your photo or your status you have to open the app from the icon because you can't do it from hub(from hub you can only answer, compose, open old chats) but when you open the app from icon with the odiern date it stop you to send messages, so you need to set back your date from bb settings and after you close icon app you can reset on the right date.
    If you are "gone out" from bb native whatsapp I don't know If you can "came back".
    Just try to re-registrate to the native app changing date and trying differents dates (dicember, november..etc until June) before you start the registration process.
    I told you this when I found it hoping to help you to continue using wa with your phones and your native app.
    01-16-18 07:43 AM
    Regarding that Whatsapp Android version: it keeps saying: "A new version is available.. do you want to install it now??"
    Do we update or not???
    Thanks..
    Yup, you'll have to update eventually anyway because all WhatsApp versions expire after a few months.
    early2bed likes this.
    01-16-18 09:54 AM
154 ... 34567