Not true. On some (desktop) browsers, you can change every single bit of the user agent and it will be identified as such, no matter who reads it. I have years of experience with this.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    Well it is true, of course you can change Useragents but you can't go around changing parts of the OS like the Android Run time
    09-05-16 04:44 PM
    Bro isn't it easier to just install whatsapp.apk

Posted via the blackberry passport gold and black
    09-05-16 05:15 PM
    Well it is true, of course you can change Useragents but you can't go around changing parts of the OS like the Android Run time
    But if I understand correctly, the person you quoted was talking about using the WA Web client in a Web browser with a different useragent aka spoofing.

Btw, you can spoof ART, just not on our devices as it requires rooting the ART. You can do that on SailfishOS and Tizen though as they can be rooted (and I've done so during my brief SailfishOS period).

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    09-05-16 05:17 PM
    Bro isn't it easier to just install whatsapp.apk

No, 'cause as we said, WA will still see that you're using it from a BB10 device and block the connection.

09-05-16 05:18 PM
    But the person you quoted was talking about using the WA Web client in a Web browser with a different useragent aka spoofing.

Well, if that's the case I'll shut up.

The person may be disappointed though, apparently the Web client runs awfully on Mobile devices ( that's why we never saw Olivers WhatsApp Web client)
    09-05-16 05:20 PM
    Did anyone try out the whatsapp.apk

09-06-16 10:07 AM
    Not very practical but it's a solution to the oncoming discontinue of WhatsApp for BB10

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-07-16 03:15 AM
    Why WA should do it?
    I can not see a single reason to do this check and block.

Even in this hypothetical situation BlackBerry could give us very basic update (few hours of single developer) to jump this WA control.
    Anyway I am not sure how much we can rely in BlackBerry even if it is only 1 hour/100$ of cost for them

No, 'cause as we said, WA will still see that you're using it from a BB10 device and block the connection.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 08:00 AM
    Why WA should do it?
    I can not see a single reason to do this check and block.

Even in this hypothetical situation BlackBerry could give us very basic update (few hours of single developer) to jump this WA control.
    Anyway I am not sure how much we can rely in BlackBerry even if it is only 1 hour/100$ of cost for them
    Posted via CB10
    I hate to sound like a teenager, but they can because they can do it, they developed the app and they can decide who may access it.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    09-08-16 12:03 PM
    Thank you so much for this. Well done sir.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-09-16 04:23 AM
    Of course they could do,but the why?
    A company does things for money, and this is their target.
    Question is profit/losses justify it?
    If their tactic works they will keep the same number of users and few thousand dollars of savings in development.
    But if BlackBerry people don't abandon bb10 so soon they could loss a number of users for days, weeks... and these losses could much higher than the few cents of savings. Other thing could be money from apple, google, BlackBerry or whatever company interested in sell some extra devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 05:45 AM
    Of course they could do,but the why?
    A company does things for money, and this is their target.
    Question is profit/losses justify it?
    If their tactic works they will keep the same number of users and few thousand dollars of savings in development.
    But if BlackBerry people don't abandon bb10 so soon they could loss a number of users for days, weeks... and these losses could much higher than the few cents of savings. Other thing could be money from apple, google, BlackBerry or whatever company interested in sell some extra devices.

Posted via CB10
    If this comment is a response to my post, the answer as I see it is simply that number of users for all the devices, manufacturers and operating systems that Whatsapp included in their notice DO NOT have large enough numbers to make it financially viable for Whatsapp to continue to support this group of users.

09-11-16 09:43 AM
    Glad I don't care about this app.
    I use BBM and as I said before have never been asked to use what's app. I am up in Canada..GTA

Posted via CB10
    Since you live in Canada, please let us know how popular is BBM there?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 10:46 AM
    I hate to sound like a teenager, but they can because they can do it, they developed the app and they can decide who may access it.

....and we will see in the near future: the android-version will work on OS10 (right now without sending pictures, but text works fine...) as it works today.

Whatsapps decision of dropping support for OS10 has just one reason: they don't want to develop and support for a OS with a very small number of users. There will be no blocking for the android version on OS10, because it doesn't make any sense! There is one reason whatsapp will later not work anymore on OS10: if whatsapp will not support android 4.3 anymore. But this will not happen in the next 3-4 years, because there are to many smartphones with android 4.3 still in use and they don't want to lose to many customers.
    Last edited by Jenserm; 09-12-16 at 02:20 AM.
    09-12-16 01:59 AM
    ....and we will see in the near future: the android-version will work on OS10 (right now without sending pictures, but text works fine...) as it works today.

Whatsapps decision of dropping support for OS10 has just one reason: they don't want to develop and support for a OS with a very small number of users. There will be no blocking for the android version on OS10, because it doesn't make any sense! There is one reason whatsapp will later not work anymore on OS10: if whatsapp will not support android 4.3 anymore. But this will not happen in the next 3-4 years, because there are to many smartphones with android 4.3 still in use and they don't want to lose to many customers.
    We will see but I'm pretty sure it won't work
    09-12-16 03:08 AM
    We will see but I'm pretty sure it won't work
    ... Blocking means technical effort for whatsapp and losing costumers. They don't sell Smartphones so what should be the benefit of blocking Android-Whatsapp? Whatsapp will not have any advantage, if they are blocking customers on OS10. There is a simple cost use bill behind the decision of not supporting OS10. Blocking Android Whatsapp on OS10 means costs for something whatsapp has no advantage for.

Could you give some logic arguments for your opinion?
    09-12-16 04:01 AM

I am going to point out that Whatsapp has stated very clearly that they will not allow any configuration of their app to function on BB10 devices after the end of this year. What part of this are you having difficulty in understanding?

09-12-16 06:15 AM
    Uhm, what about using Whatsapp Web on a Desktop in between then?
    Gotta do it all again afterwards?
    09-12-16 06:39 AM
    I am going to point out that Whatsapp has stated very clearly that they will not allow any configuration of their app to function on BB10 devices after the end of this year. What part of this are you having difficulty in understanding?

Three questions for you:
    -Where did they say: "has stated very clearly that they will not allow any configuration... "?
    I know only this official statement:
    https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...e-devices?l=en

-Why does "will not allow any configuration" mean for you: "Android Whatsapp will not work at all"?
    -Why should Whatsapp invest time and money for blocking the Android-Version of Whatsapp on OS10? What is the benefit?

I actually use Android Whatsapp every day on my Q10 and I'm quite sure, this will work in 2017 too - with limitations: no media sending. This limitation is not because whatsapp blocked something - it's because of the security management of OS10 and maybe there will be a working solution for it in future (I know we have WAA-Fixer, but this works not good on my Q10).

There is a difference between "blocking" and still "working with limitations".
    09-12-16 07:25 AM
    Three questions for you:
    -Where did they say: "has stated very clearly that they will not allow any configuration... "?
    I know only this official statement:
    https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...e-devices?l=en

-Why does "will not allow any configuration" mean for you: "Android Whatsapp will not work at all"?
    -Why should Whatsapp invest time and money for blocking the Android-Version of Whatsapp on OS10? What is the benefit?

I actually use Android Whatsapp every day on my Q10 and I'm quite sure, this will work in 2017 too - with limitations: no media sending. This limitation is not because whatsapp blocked something - it's because of the security management of OS10 and maybe there will be a working solution for it in future (I know we have WAA-Fixer, but this works not good on my Q10).

There is a difference between "blocking" and still "working with limitations".
    Hey which version of WhatsApp u have running on ur q10? I've been trying for weeks to find a working version. Every one I try gets stuck on the "looking for backup " screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 07:41 AM
    Hey which version of WhatsApp u have running on ur q10? I've been trying for weeks to find a working version. Every one I try gets stuck on the "looking for backup " screen.

Posted via CB10
    ...I downloaded Whatsapp out of Cobalts Version of Android Play Store and had no problems installing it. I always use the newest android version. You have to un-install the OS10-Version of Whatsapp before the installation of the Android-Version. And there are some ways to install whatsapp. There should be a way to install it without looking up backups - just with entering your phone number and SMS-Security check.
    09-12-16 07:54 AM
    ...I downloaded Whatsapp out of Cobalts Version of Android Play Store and had no problems installing it. I always use the newest android version. You have to un-install the OS10-Version of Whatsapp before the installation of the Android-Version. And there are some ways to install whatsapp. There should be a way to install it without looking up backups - just with entering your phone number and SMS-Security check.
    Just tried again, same as b4 stuck "looking for backup ". I wonder why some people get it to work while others have this ever lasting search for backups.
    Finally, Solution for WhatsApp for BB10 OS after December 2016.-img_20160912_094929.png

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 09:51 AM
    I appreciate OP'S effort in figuring out a solution, but I don't want to open another app just to send a picture.

Might try using the whatsapp Web client exclusively instead (ie for messages), assuming that's a possibility.

If not, I'll go back to sms I guess. Certainly not going to leave BB10 over it...

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 08:28 AM
    I'll definitely give this a try on the 1st Jan 2017.

Looks good.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    09-13-16 02:34 PM
    Nice One!!! I just happened to see this entry on the forum because I wanted to contact another forum poster about having good android services wirking on his os10 phone. As i wondered if he'd put whatsapp on & got it working via the android store + what it's functionality was like?
    09-14-16 06:45 AM
250 12345 ...