There's been posts about this before, even some from me. I'm making this one as a main great big in-your-face-WTH-BlackBerry?! that everyone can join in on so MAYBE the problem gets sorted out someday.

For the last 30 minutes I've been unable to text anyone. Notifications still pop up, I can see them waiting in the hub, but trying to open them just brings me back to an empty, locked up screen for one of my contacts, even if I try to open a different one (see pic attachments). Sound familiar? I can try restarting the hub, I can try doing a battery pull, I can try waiting longer and longer while my contacts start sending "Hello? Are you there?" Any and all of those may or may not work. Once my phone finally does decide to start functioning again, I can delete text history / threads. That might help for a while... or not. Bottom line, this is unacceptable.

An average consumer wouldn't put up with this. I didn't do anything wrong, just tried to use my phone normally. This happens randomly, usually when I am in the middle of a long conversation- the worst possible time. Does BlackBerry actually do any long-term QA? Are glitches like this simply not able to be caught in their testing labs? BlackBerry has built a reputation of reliability and stability. I truly feel they are failing here.

If the phone's hardware or software can't handle long conversation threads, just freaking add an archival routine and pin them 50 at a time behind a "More" scroller. Is that so hard? Or prompt for a backup. Or ANYTHING but repeatedly turn into a non-messaging-capable device without warning or real solution. While I've watched friends be ready to throw their iPhones and Androids against a wall out of frustration, I've always smiled and kept enjoying my awesome BB. This, though, makes me feel like them. And yes, that bugs me. I do hold BlackBerry to a higher standard, because they set that standard themselves.
    Final Straw- The Infamous Hub Lockup-img_20140425_101317.png
    Final Straw- The Infamous Hub Lockup-img_20140425_101259.png

Posted via CB10
    dannykavs and RJ_Motivation like this.
    04-25-14 12:38 PM
    Does this only happen when TXTing? SMS (TXT) is closely tied to your carrier's voice network, unlike BBM or other IM apps based on data instead of the voice network. I have never had a long TXT conversation because I know how bad it is and how great BBM is at doing that. Do you have this problem with any other accounts in the HUB?
    I never use BBM because all my contacts / family / friends have long since abandoned BlackBerry. I use the hub for email and texting. It only happens with texting, I can still access email fine even while it's locked up.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 12:51 PM
    As strange as this sounds, to me this is reminiscent of the low memory issue with OS 5 devices. Can you go to Settings > Storage and Access > Device Storage Details and see what it says?
    04-25-14 12:58 PM
    I never use BBM because all my contacts / family / friends have long since abandoned BlackBerry. I use the hub for email and texting. It only happens with texting, I can still access email fine even while it's locked up.

Posted via CB10
    Try and convince them to use BBM again since everything about it is better and problem solved. Win win situation!!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 01:39 PM
    As strange as this sounds, to me this is reminiscent of the low memory issue with OS 5 devices. Can you go to Settings > Storage and Access > Device Storage Details and see what it says?
    Memory (at least in an overall, traditional sense) does not appear to be the problem...

Final Straw- The Infamous Hub Lockup-img_20140425_132758.png

Attachment 265706
    04-25-14 03:28 PM
    Try and convince them to use BBM again since everything about it is better and problem solved. Win win situation!!

Posted via CB10
    ... everything except the fact that no one uses it except BlackBerry folk. Seriously, pitching that they use a third party app to talk just to me wouldn't go over well. They already have a tool for that built into their phone which works with not just me, but everyone- it's called texting. May as well push them to use AIM or ICQ... not trying to be negative, but aside from these forums, I'm the only soul I know who still uses BlackBerry.

You do know you can use BBM voice between Android, BB and iOS? Anyway, In Hub, try this:
    More (lower-right corner), Settings, Text Messages, Advanced (bottom-middle), Routing Preferences. Try Packet Switched or Circuit Switched.

I am not convinced the routing will fix your problem, but it's worth a try.
    Yes, again, if they install the app for it. See above. I'll try the setting changes you suggested, but I honestly think it's a BB10 software glitch due to poor handling of large content threads in texting. Very happy to be (and hoping I am) wrong about that though!

Edit: Can't find the settings you mention- nothing like that in my OS version10.2.1.2228.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 03:35 PM
    This is a big issue. I've already told Michael Clewley on Twitter about it. I will refer him this thread as well.

I have also emailed him with logs.
    Final Straw- The Infamous Hub Lockup-img_20140425_163718.png
    04-25-14 03:37 PM
    04-25-14 03:47 PM
    This is a big issue. I've already told Michael Clewley on Twitter about it. I will refer him this thread as well.

I have also emailed him with logs.
    Sweet! Thanks. I've had this in every single version of BB10 I've tried. It's gotten "better" (happens less frequently) but is never completely erased. I'd tried fresh installs, not restoring backups, avoided every known potentially problematic behavior and still get blindsided with it at the worst moments. This and the random Q10 reboots will seriously drive me away from BlackBerry if they don't correct it.

I used to preach my BlackBerry love because they didn't 'follow the herd'- my 9700 didn't have the fastest cpu, but the OS5 software was optimized so well it ran great. Like XP on a Pentium 3. The trackpad was pure genius, allowing mouse-like control and selection through a tiny square. The battery life was phenomenal, simply unheard of for a smartphone. It did everything I wanted and was reliable as could be possible. I could customize the look if I got bored, add features or keep it minimal for speed. Then I guess BlackBerry got scared of being different and innovative, so jumped on board with everyone else- adopting clumsy touchscreen control, battery-chewing cpu, less stability, zero customization and more flaws. I now am left with nothing to brag about but my Q10's keyboard. I curse my phone just as often as my girlfriend does her iPhone now, all superiority is gone. Except when hers acts up, it can restart in a fraction of the time mine does, and never prevents her from doing a basic function like texting for over half an hour. I'm the proud owner of an embarrassment, which forces me to apologize to people through email or Facebook, explaining that I can't use text right now because I'm busy eating crow with my beautiful functionless BlackBerry Q10.

Seriously, I'm trying here. But BlackBerry has to throw me a bone. I need something to work with...

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:05 PM
    OK. Keep using the tech equivalent of smoke signals when you could be using holograms. Some of us don't bother with TXTing.
    And the rest of the world doesn't use BBM......

Texting just works on every platform.... Apart from the one built for messaging.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-25-14 04:13 PM
    It's a known issue with SMS, I had a thread on this, but I don't feel like digging it up. But its mostly fixed now... it used to happen when you send a message from the picture app, when you open a message while one is coming in, when you simply open an unread thread.

But now it only happens when you open a message at the same time one is coming it. Some people never see the bug cause they leave the SMS app open. I bet OP, you're like me and always goes back to the HUB after you wrote a message.

There is no fix, except deleting very long threads. Also, if it's frozen, stop touching around and trying to make it work, it will just make the SMS app remain frozen longer.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:17 PM
    Dear BlackBerry, you have really important stuff to do taking us toward the future. Please don't waste time fooling with TXTing which works well enough.
    Look, I get that you don't consider texting important. It's old-school to you, you've moved on, BBM solves everything for you, and that's awesome. But for us people who don't have a SINGLE BlackBerry user in their entire list of contacts, can you perceive there's possibly room for improvement, even if it doesn't directly benefit you? This is equivalent to a CD player not working well in a new car, and your reply is, "Why are you not using MP3? The answer is to use digital. Car company X, don't waste time fixing the CD player, it works well enough. It's their own fault for using old technology."

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:28 PM
    It's a known issue with SMS, I had a thread on this, but I don't feel like digging it up. But its mostly fixed now... it used to happen when you send a message from the picture app, when you open a message while one is coming in, when you simply open an unread thread.

But now it only happens when you open a message at the same time one is coming it. Some people never see the bug cause they leave the SMS app open. I bet OP, you're like me and always goes back to the HUB after you wrote a message.

There is no fix, except deleting very long threads. Also, if it's frozen, stop touching around and trying to make it work, it will just make the SMS app remain frozen longer.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I carry on more than one text conversation at a time, so have to keep popping back to the hub to switch in between. I was curious if it happened when an incoming text hit just as I opened it, but since it's random it's been hard to troubleshoot that. With that info, it makes sense- the hub tries to display the content at the same moment the content is being updated, and it locks up. Should be an easy fix for BB, just add a check for it or adjust the timings so they won't overlap. I have figured out to just leave it alone, after multiple battery pulls and reboots and other things had no effect in the past. Which is why I made this post... had a half hour to kill while waiting for it to decide to function again!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:34 PM
    Dear BlackBerry, you have really important stuff to do taking us toward the future. Please don't waste time fooling with TXTing which works well enough.
    C'mon, OP is stating a legitimate complaint. The issue is acknowledged by BB. I don't think it is good form if you tell him that TXT is fine and unimportant. What's next: 'you're holding it wrong'?
    04-25-14 04:37 PM
    C'mon, OP is stating a legitimate complaint. The issue is acknowledged by BB. I don't think it is good form if you tell him that TXT is fine and unimportant. What's next: 'you're holding it wrong'?
    LOL, probably
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-25-14 04:57 PM
    I have seen this happen on an S4 Samsung as well , if the txt message thread gets too long. Not sure if this is what you have as the root cause, but I delete my texts every so often. I have a Z10 never ever had that issue and i use the hub for txt often
    leehardballer12 and stlabrat like this.
    04-25-14 05:08 PM
    You probably know this already, Unless you are running a leak, the most appropriate step to resolution is through your carrier and not on this forum.
    It could be a hardware or software issue that could be resolved with a device switch. Hopefully you are under the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 05:30 PM
    Memory (at least in an overall, traditional sense) does not appear to be the problem...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140425_132758.png 
Views:	4054 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	265705

Attachment 265706
    Your screenshot shows built-in Storage rather than Memory. Try showing Memory as it is the tab to the left of Storage on your screenshot.
    04-25-14 05:41 PM
    I have seen this happen on an S4 Samsung as well , if the txt message thread gets too long. Not sure if this is what you have as the root cause, but I delete my texts every so often. I have a Z10 never ever had that issue and i use the hub for txt often
    It's probably difficult to catch in standardized testing, due to the timing that has to trigger it. A lot of QA tests do A, B, C just fine... but real world users/situations sometimes do B and C simultaneously, triggering an uncaught glitch.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:05 PM
    Your screenshot shows built-in Storage rather than Memory. Try showing Memory as it is the tab to the left of Storage on your screenshot.
    Weird, I posted two screenshots- one storage, one memory. I'm seeing both, are you not?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:06 PM
    ehroberts - the beauty of this forum, over the many years it's members have used and abused BlackBerrys, is that it often is the MOST APPROPRIATE place to resolve issues, not through the carrier as you suggest.

When longtime members like tfp, jrohland, and theonecid chime in you are getting more years of combined BlackBerry experience than exist in almost any phone corral at the carriers. Just look at those three - over 16 years combined experience, and they'd be quick to tell you there are others on here with far more experience and abilities to help out users.

OP, others: keep your internet tuned to CrackBerry for all things BlackBerry, especially help in resolving phone and OS issues
    04-25-14 06:28 PM
    The big question here is.......... Whose Vicki?
    DocDRM likes this.
    04-25-14 06:39 PM
    Looks like it might very well be HIS VIcki, or will be soon! (whose - who's)
    04-25-14 06:46 PM
    ehroberts - the beauty of this forum, over the many years it's members have used and abused BlackBerrys, is that it often is the MOST APPROPRIATE place to resolve issues, not through the carrier as you suggest.

When longtime members like tfp, jrohland, and theonecid chime in you are getting more years of combined BlackBerry experience than exist in almost any phone corral at the carriers. Just look at those three - over 16 years combined experience, and they'd be quick to tell you there are others on here with far more experience and abilities to help out users.

OP, others: keep your internet tuned to CrackBerry for all things BlackBerry, especially help in resolving phone and OS issues
    ^THIS. A billion times this. Every time someone refers me to my carrier, I sigh. I'm a BlackBerry enthusiast. My account here is older than most Verizon employee's tenure. I'm in IT, also worked doing cellphone support, so I was the guy the clueless store salesmen told customers to call when they couldn't figure it out. I come here to tap into the communal knowledge base that is Crackberry, which is what it's here for. I add to it when I can as well. The issue I described is known, verified, and requesting a replacement phone won't magically solve things. If my "alt" key stops working, I'll grudgingly do an RMA and accept a refurbished phone. I know better than to think that will solve a BB10 software glitch

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:58 PM
    So, I reread my post and I'm thinking it could've been worded differently.

OK. I won't address the experience issue cause I'm thinking bb10 is, what, less than 2 years old? I do.t get how 100+ years of experience can help with this OS problem. If it is what it is.

Also, I guess I was wrong to assume that carriers had the option to escalate an issue directly to paid blackberry staff - not referring to salespeople . Perhaps I was wrong again to assume your software issue, if that is what it is -software, can be verified if reproducible on another device.

I apologize. That being said, I'll stay tuned to this thread for the outcome.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:56 PM
201 123 ...