We should put 10 or 20 bucks each in an account until we rise at least 10,000 dollars and then hire a top tier software engineer (in Github there are a few who specializes in Whatsapp) to develop a native C++ app that mimic exactly the Android version behavior, so in the eyes of Whatsapp servers it would be just another Android device; also by doing this we will get the enormous satisfaction of thwart Facebook and Mr Chen forced marketing measures.

What do you think? 10 USD is nothing nowadays if only 1000 hardcore BlackBerry 10 users contribute we would be set pretty quickly and enjoy an alt version of Whatsapp to keep in touch with work, friends, family, etc.
    08-10-16 07:05 PM
    A few problems.

First, this assumes Whatsapp is perfectly fine with a third-party app running its services, regardless which API it hijacks. I don't think they like that.

Second, this also assumes you can get $10 out of at least a thousand users here (what I assume you mean by "we"); if $0.99 apps are too expensive for the lot of them, good luck with ten times that.

Lastly, instead of paying some guy (where would you find him?) $10,000 at least, what about paying at most one tenth of that and getting a supported device without the arcane voodoo that seems to be the only thing keeping BB10 alive?
    08-11-16 10:39 AM
    Not going to work , sorry!
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    08-11-16 10:50 AM
    Hpw you intended to xs the whatsapp servers? There is no api open

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 11:00 AM
    The APIs are not open. You're also asking a developer to knowingly violate WhatsApp's terms and IP, for payment no less.

Plus, who would support the app going forward?
    08-11-16 11:09 AM
    Doesn't seem like a viable solution to me, unless we have a developer who would develop that app and maintain it rather than building something and leaving it out forever. The developer ought to know what he is dealing with i.e copyright infringement.

Posted via CB10
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    08-11-16 11:17 AM
    You can use webbased whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 12:23 PM
    Count me out, it's pointless.
    08-11-16 06:55 PM
    I have converted my family members to BBM! Lol

Thankfully, it is not a big family.

You should really let go of What's app. Sometimes true love is about letting go.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 08:09 PM
    Whatsapp is just some tweak of XMPP. It can't be that hard to create an app.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 01:41 AM
    Whatsapp is just some tweak of XMPP. It can't be that hard to create an app.
    That's just the protocol for the message delivery itself. What about contact mgmt, authentication, encryption, etc?
    08-12-16 08:20 AM

Thankfully, it is not a big family.

You should really let go of What's app. Sometimes true love is about letting go.

Posted via CB10
    That's the correct answer.

You couldn't pay me to use Whatscrap :P
    08-12-16 08:21 AM
    Never name a thread "final solution."

Just sayin'

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    08-12-16 08:55 AM
    Never name a thread "final solution."

Just sayin'

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Lols
    08-12-16 09:29 AM
    That's just the protocol for the message delivery itself. What about contact mgmt, authentication, encryption, etc?
    I'm running Xabber on my private XMPP prosody server. Xabber is open source Android. It supports OTR and even TOR, though I can't say I tried orbot on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 12:19 PM
    I'm running Xabber on my private XMPP prosody server. Xabber is open source Android. It supports OTR and even TOR, though I can't say I tried orbot on the Z10.
    Yeah, I'm sure there are XMPP clients for BB10. Or you can make one easily.

The problem is you can't use that to chat with actual WhatsApp users. People want to use WhatsApp so they can chat with other people who are already using WhatsApp.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 08-12-16 at 06:25 PM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-12-16 02:51 PM
    Let it go honestly.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-12-16 06:15 PM
    Yeah, I'm sure there are XMPP clients for BB10. Or you can make one easily.

The problem is you can't use that to chat with actual WhatsApp users. People want to use WhatsApp so they can chat with other people who are already using WhatsApp.
    Right, but you could probably adapt an XMPP client to make a Whatsapp app.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 08:18 PM
    Right, but you could probably adapt an XMPP client to make a Whatsapp app.
    Again, how will this client access or manage the user's WhatsApp contacts?

How will the client encrypt and decrypt content from WhatsApp?

How will you even login to the WhatsApp service?

None of these APIs or specs are open. Being able to talk the wire protocol is just one small part of the task here.
    08-12-16 08:30 PM
    Again, how will this client access or manage the user's WhatsApp contacts?

How will the client encrypt and decrypt content from WhatsApp?

How will you even login to the WhatsApp service?

None of these APIs or specs are open. Being able to talk the wire protocol is just one small part of the task here.
    OK. I hadn't realized it was closed. I don't use Facebook or Whatsapp and never will. Like I said, I have my own XMPP server and private group. I don't even allow self registration.

I hate Facebook to the point where I block their servers from my server, and in case I miss a CIDR, I block their useragents.

So if Whatsapp is proprietary, use something else.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 10:21 PM
    So if Whatsapp is proprietary, use something else.

Posted via CB10
    True. Use either Android or iOS devices for WhatsApp. That's the "final solution."

*ME173X
    08-12-16 11:03 PM
    I currently use WhatsApp. Some people don't want to use BBM but they all have Facebook messenger so you could always just use that. I have a lot people switching to messenger already. It's too bad that BlackBerry didn't let widespread use of BBM earlier. That app would have been the top messaging app now

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 02:15 AM
    I currently use WhatsApp. Some people don't want to use BBM but they all have Facebook messenger so you could always just use that. I have a lot people switching to messenger already. It's too bad that BlackBerry didn't let widespread use of BBM earlier. That app would have been the top messaging app now

Posted via CB10
    I don't use anything Facebook. Period end of story. I appreciate how their employees are driving up real estate values locally, but that is about it. Facebook is the death of the Internet. When it becomes MySpace, I won't shed a tear.

All the phone platforms support push on imap. Email is fast enough for most uses these days. Plus with imap, all my devices are synced.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 10:38 AM
    Nobody in your family knows anyone who uses WhatsApp?
    08-13-16 10:49 AM
    Stopped using WA 2 years ago and love it! Would not spend 10 cents for a WA client. Besides..its a Facebook company, you don't want to use this..do you? BBM is the messaging platform I am using. No BBM,... TXT, Call of Mail me!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 12:39 PM
33 12