So if I do a wipe now, then autoload and setup without BBID, what happens if I want to do wipe *after* Jan 2022? Will it let me complete setup given the phone is BBID-free and servers are dead?

I remember someone here posted from Russia (where BBID servers are blocked country wide) and that poster said that Blackberry OS will not let you use the phone until you complete all setup steps. This pretty much simulates what will happen to all of us in 2022. Whether you have removed your BBID or not, you won't be able to wipe your phone after Jan 2022 regardless. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    The only way you can be sure, is to wipe BEFORE the infrastucture is shut down.
    11-20-21 09:41 AM
    Hi Guys, I'm new here and hope I dont do everything wrong. As a non tech girl I have worked my way through various threads regarding the eol/3G-Shutdown. Thanks a lot for all the input. Some of my questions are nevertheless unanswerd. So here we go...

If I have never used BBProtect on my phone, does that mean that I dont have to set up my phone without the bb-ID?

If I have to set it up, why do I have to use the autolader thing? Cant I just reset my phone to factory condition and then update? (I have never wiped since I got my phone many years back. Still works fine. Never change a winning hoarse...)

If I set up my phone anew can I restore everything with ultimate backup? I dont know why but I cant connect my phone to BB-Link anymore. I am loged in with my ID, then it asks me for my phone-password, which I type in, but does not get accepted...)

If I wait and do nothing and for some reasons I cant use my phone after eol, will I be able to do the steps described here later on to rescue my phone?

If in my country there is still 2G and 4G after the end of 2021 my 4G-phone should be fine?

If BBM stops working when the ID stops working, will I be able to use BBMe afterwards? Up until now I cant because BBM does not let me update.

Sorry for so many questions and rusty english. If possible reply in a very simple manner as I am new to a lot of terms and the way things work.
    11-26-21 03:44 AM
    You can't remove a BBID from your phone without doing a complete wipe with an auto-loader. These phones were never designed to work without a BBID, but the BBID infrastructure is being turned off in a month. Phones still logged in to a BBID *should* (but possibly may not) continue to work, BUT if something happens - say, your Android runtime gets corrupted - the only way to fix that would be to wipe with an autoloader - but you won't be able to do that if your phone is currently logged in with a BBID. You 'll be stuck with a crippled phone that you can't fix.

If you wipe the phone now, while the BBID infrastructure is still up, and you set it up without a BBID, then you'll be able to wipe it down the road if it ever needs it. However, without a BBID, you won't be able to restore any backups or any backed-up apps. That means you'll need to manually export any data you want to keep NOW, and you need to back them up to non-encrypted, open-format backups. For example, your contacts can be (with an app) backed up to a tab-delimited file that can be imported into Gmail or Outlook. But you cannot back up using Link or any of the alternatives that essentially use the Link protocols, because they're all tied to BBID. Those backups are encrypted and not in an open format, so you can't extract data out of those backups - you can only restore those backups to a compatible BB10 phone, and only as long as the BBID servers are up and running (so, for about a month).

There are a handful of BB10 apps that developers have released - @conite I believe has has a link to them - and otherwise you'll be limited to either the stock BB10 apps that still function and Android apps that still run.

Either way you go (keeping your BBID logged in, or wiping and not using BBID), there are going to be some serious limits and risks. That's the reality of using a platform that's past its "end of life" - especially one that was built from the start to be "extra secure" and so closely tied to online services that are no longer going to be there.

The 5G transition is a separate issue - it's just that for Americans, it's happening next year as well, further reducing the usefulness of BB10 phones. Those issues will affect you eventually, but by then you may have switched for other reasons.

Make sure you adjust your expectations. Expect not to have full functionality. Expect more things to break and for their not to be solutions when they do. That's inevitable. Most people aren't going to be able to continue using BB10 past January, and if you're one of the few exceptions, know in advance that you're going to have some limits and some pain, that will only increase as time goes on.
    brookie229, pdr733, dmlis and 2 others like this.
    11-28-21 10:52 PM
    You can't remove a BBID from your phone without doing a complete wipe with an auto-loader...
    Lots of good info. However, you can also get rid of BBID via a normal wipe (all other steps equal), as opposed to mandatory to use an auto-loader wipe.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 11-29-21 at 04:31 PM. Reason: VBK error
    horia_m likes this.
    11-29-21 04:30 PM
    Lots of good info. However, you can also get rid of BBID via a normal wipe (all other steps equal), as opposed to mandatory to use an auto-loader wipe.
    They are the same thing. But the autoloader is much faster, and is not prone to getting stuck.
    Last edited by conite; 11-29-21 at 06:54 PM.
    horia_m likes this.
    11-29-21 06:04 PM
    The are the same thing. But the autoloader is much faster, and is not prone to getting stuck.
    Did you mean They?
    11-29-21 06:08 PM
    Did you mean They?
    Lol.
    11-29-21 06:54 PM
    Let's make a Vote Poll and see how many of us will remove their BBID and how many will keep it haha...I have 2 Passports and one Classic. I think to go both ways - Just have to see which one on which phoen o.o My Passport OG is still brand new and ready to go with the same backup from the SE, the Classic as well...It's a risk both ways Not being able to use my stuck but funktional BBID on my new PP OG...or the other way around - not being able to login again if it keeps function haha
    12-03-21 09:53 AM
    Let's make a Vote Poll and see how many of us will remove their BBID and how many will keep it haha...I have 2 Passports and one Classic. I think to go both ways - Just have to see which one on which phoen o.o My Passport OG is still brand new and ready to go with the same backup from the SE, the Classic as well...It's a risk both ways Not being able to use my stuck but funktional BBID on my new PP OG...or the other way around - not being able to login again if it keeps function haha
    I'm still on the fence with my Passport. Have not made up my mind as of yet but I do have all my info/apps/paasword backups etc ready and waiting. On the one hand, I will REALLY miss a couple of essential BB10 apps such as Unmissable, Hockey Scores, Kalemsoft Media Player, Loyalty and Ultimate Backup but on the other hand, it's time to give the device a thorough cleaning (it's been 7+ years without!) and I would still like to use it for sms, calls and email for as long as possible. Tough call!

ps. oh and I hate the idea of that nag message that will tell me to connect to my BBID. Little things like that really annoy me, lol.
    12-03-21 10:04 AM
    I'm still on the fence with my Passport. Have not made up my mind as of yet but I do have all my info/apps/paasword backups etc ready and waiting. On the one hand, I will REALLY miss a couple of essential BB10 apps such as Unmissable, Hockey Scores, Kalemsoft Media Player, Loyalty and Ultimate Backup but on the other hand, it's time to give the device a thorough cleaning (it's been 7+ years without!) and I would still like to use it for sms, calls and email for as long as possible. Tough call!

ps. oh and I hate the idea of that nag message that will tell me to connect to my BBID. Little things like that really annoy me, lol.
    aah wow! you haven't wiped it for 7 years? how is it running? Somehow I have the need to do that at least 1-2 times a year hahahah
    12-03-21 10:08 AM
    aah wow! you haven't wiped it for 7 years? how is it running? Somehow I have the need to do that at least 1-2 times a year hahahah
    It's still running well - but lots of broken (android mostly) links, folders to nowhere etc.
    12-03-21 10:10 AM
    ....There are a handful of BB10 apps that developers have released - @conite I believe has has a link to them ....
    Thanks so much for this thread it is exactly what I needed.

For the aforementioned BB10 apps, I have not seen that collection before. Does anyone have a link to that?
    12-03-21 01:58 PM
    Thanks so much for this thread it is exactly what I needed.

For the aforementioned BB10 apps, I have not seen that collection before. Does anyone have a link to that?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aBQ/edit#gid=0

here you are.
    dmlis and horia_m like this.
    12-03-21 02:02 PM
    THANK YOU!!
    12-03-21 03:04 PM
    I have never wiped my Z30. It has been my daily driver for more than 8 years. Just pulled the SIM a couple of weeks ago. Excellent build quality. Would buy a '22 model instantly.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-21 10:16 AM
    I had never wiped my Z10 either.
    12-04-21 11:09 AM
    I have never wiped my Z30. It has been my daily driver for more than 8 years. Just pulled the SIM a couple of weeks ago. Excellent build quality. Would buy a '22 model instantly.

Posted via CB10
    I had never wiped my Z10 either.
    You guys must be pretty gentle on your devices. I had to wipe 2 or 3 times a year to keep everything working on all of my BB10 devices.

Android notifications and links are particularly precarious.
    12-04-21 11:29 AM
    You guys must be pretty gentle on your devices. I had to wipe 2 or 3 times a year to keep everything working on all of my BB10 devices.

Android notifications and links are particularly precarious.
    Yup - pretty gentle except for the time I left it at Pearson Apt for 10 days. Don't know what they did with it there, lol. Also never used tons of android apps like you probably did. Given that I have never wiped my device and don't really need to, what would you do if you were in my position? Wipe or leave alone? I sure would miss those few BB10 apps previously mentioned.
    12-04-21 12:38 PM
    Yup - pretty gentle except for the time I left it at Pearson Apt for 10 days. Don't know what they did with it there, lol. Also never used tons of android apps like you probably did. Given that I have never wiped my device and don't really need to, what would you do if you were in my position? Wipe or leave alone? I sure would miss those few BB10 apps previously mentioned.
    Well, I've wiped my remaining 6 working BB10 devices if that tells you something.

I guess there is not really a right (or wrong) answer for your specific situation. That said, there is only so much more life you can squeeze out of that thing anyway - so it likely doesn't even matter.
    12-04-21 01:08 PM
    My two Z10s and my Q10 (I don't use any of them for daily drivers) are sitting wiped and free from BBID and BBProtect.
    12-04-21 01:21 PM
    Well, I've wiped my remaining 6 working BB10 devices if that tells you something.

I guess there is not really a right (or wrong) answer for your specific situation. That said, there is only so much more life you can squeeze out of that thing anyway - so it likely doesn't even matter.
    True - I was thinking maybe they could drop it lit up in my coffin though, so that it could die with me.
    12-04-21 02:01 PM
    True - I was thinking maybe they could drop it lit up in my coffin though, so that it could die with me.
    ...with it showing a screen of the CB Monkey, of course!
    12-04-21 02:16 PM
    [QUOTE=conite;13608550]You guys must be pretty gentle on your devices. I had to wipe 2 or 3 times a year to keep everything working on all of my BB10 devices.

Android notifications and links are particularly precarious.[/QUOTE

To be fair, I wouldn't say I'm a power user; but, I think the fact that I've never installed Android apps has a lot to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-21 08:01 PM

Because the annoying message will disappear when the servers will be shut down.
    12-04-21 08:36 PM
    Because the annoying message will disappear when the servers will be shut down.
    Why would you think that? Since it comes from the device, I don't think the server status will change anything.
    12-05-21 12:05 AM
399 ... 23456 ...