It's actually such an massive hassle for me. I don't know if anyone else has been having the same problems, but it's very frustrating to use and also keeps getting in my way in other apps.

The actual app is very slow. It does work, but sometimes it takes ages to open photos or videos, and even then you can't swipe between them, which gets really annoying.

But my biggest gripe about it is it stores pictures all over the place. Screen shots are saved in the device 'camera', photos are stored in the 'camera' on my SD card, photos from my old BlackBerry are placed in a 'BlackBerry' folder I forgot where, photos from my laptop are put in the 'downloads' folder, photos that I make in apps are put in their respective folders, etc. ITS CRAZY. And it's the same thing with music or video, I just happen to search for photos more.

That itself is actually not too terrible because the photo app does show them all, although it still sorts them extremely confusingly and non-intuitively.

But it's the fact that when I want to select a photo in an app, instead of directing me to the photo app or giving me an option, it directs me to the FILE MANAGER. UGH. I don't want to have to spend 5 minutes searching for a photo no matter what I need it for. Is there a fix for this?

An option to select photos from the picture app rather than the file manager would make me a lot happier. I know that you can select photos from the photo app and press share, but this can't be used for everything.

Right now, with the file manager and file sharing so unrefined, I would gladly sacrifice the file manager and an SD card in order to have a more streamlined and easier experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 10:30 PM
    I have about 12k pictures alone on my Z, and don't feel the frustration you do. I'm on Z10STL100-4/10.3.0.296, so indexing isn't great, but no more than 15sec to see images for selection. You do know you can move files, including images, and even create sub folders to put them in?
    05-21-14 11:08 PM
    +1. The idea of file manager is so you can MANAGE your files. Its not meant to be the main viewer. So, manage them. Move them where you want. Delete the folders you don't want and enjoy the greatness of the file manager. Its 1 of the reason your BlackBerry is way better than any other platform.

If you need help to learn to use it, ask....
    05-23-14 12:00 AM
    Boeingrules, The file manager works perfectly. Exactly as it is designed to "manage files". Viewers view, managers manage. Use the pictures app to view pictures and the File Manager to rearrange or "manage" the files. Need further help? We are here, just ask for help.
    I think you might have misunderstood the use of the File Manager App.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    byex likes this.
    05-23-14 12:09 AM
    File Manager is intensely terrible-img_20140523_070451.png
    So, any recent version of the OS has a dedicated Pictures option when opening the File Sharing interface.
    It shows all pictures on your device sorted by date, has a button to open the Camera, and also has the option to show any Albums that contain images.
    Not to mention the fact you can just search for the filename you want and have it pop up

Other than File Manager doing exactly what you want the location photos are sync'ed to is also easily managed by BBLink. And for the record, any folder from my PC I sync is put in the SD/Photos folder, never anywhere else.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-23-14 12:13 AM
    I think the File Manager app is one of the best features of BB10. After using an iPhone for many years (which has no file system to manage) I feel like a grown-up again. The only minor complaint I have is with the other apps that save photos to various folders which require a little hunting sometimes. But the fact that I can actually search, move, rename and organise them is a blessing. Complaining about that would be like complaining that your sports car has a manual transmission.

Posted via CB10
    nightridah and byex like this.
    05-23-14 06:22 AM
    What??? You gotta be kidding me. I find the file manager outstanding, much much better than any solution on my 4.4.2 Android phone. It's super easy to use and the Box/dropbox integration is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    05-23-14 06:25 AM
    I totally agree with those who think the File Manager is great. For me, it's one of the best features of BB10!

Posted via Z10
    byex likes this.
    05-23-14 06:33 AM
    Boeingrules, The file manager works perfectly. Exactly as it is designed to "manage files". Viewers view, managers manage. Use the pictures app to view pictures and the File Manager to rearrange or "manage" the files. Need further help? We are here, just ask for help.
    I think you might have misunderstood the use of the File Manager App.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    I'm going to have to agree with OP on this one. The file manager could be better...a lot better. The whole purpose of BB10 was to breeze and flow through everything...except the file manager. Why can't I have the same options such as picture editor in the Pictures app within the file manager menu? Instead, I need one app to edit the picture name and another app to edit the picture size. Where's the select all option? I need to go and click every single file instead. So if I have an attachment of 40 small sized docs that I need to move over to another attachment, I'm going to be there for a while. It makes no sense. And this is just two of a long list my issues with file manager. It could be so much better.
    05-23-14 06:43 AM
    Sheesh. Second attempt then:
    File Manager is intensely terrible-img_20140523_143749.png
    Opening an image from the File Manager does have the Editor options, no need to go to the Pictures app. If you choose "preview" before selecting/uploading (tested on CB10) an image you can even Edit it on-demand.
    File Manager is intensely terrible-img_20140523_144344.png

It would be nice to see a "select all" function, but the example you give is pretty far from a general event.
    And as far as 'flow' goes, the File Manager is one of the best parts of BB10 that shows off the Peek gesture. Makes it amazingly easy to switch between folders/device/SD/cloud services when browsing or moving files.
    And the general-purpose Videos/Pictures/Music views I showed before make it so easy to find particular types of files when necessary.

Note: my images are from 10.3, but I am positive they already exist on 10.2.1 in the same way.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-23-14 07:44 AM
    It's annoying that files on remote places like desktop, Dropbox or One drive are not automatically sorted in alphabetical order. That's making me angry all the time. Don't have any other problems

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 08:41 AM
    I think I can only edit the name of the file. Not the file itself, unlike the actual picture app or video app. I can't make a smaller file such as video to send via email. I need to go to the actual video app, edit, then go back to file manager to send it out.

A select all feature would be a great help to me as I spend most of my time in the file manager making attachments for emails.

I send and receive 100+ emails a week that most need attachment replies. Those two features alone would make cut down my time in half easily.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 08:42 AM
    From the File Manager(FM), instead of long-pressing the image you want to edit, Open it within the FM first. That should give you a preview of the image with the Editor option there. Just tried it myself, does not work for videos though.
    I think I can only edit the name of the file. Not the file itself, unlike the actual picture app or video app.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-23-14 08:55 AM
    I wish we would be offered a "save as" option to choose a file name and location. I don't like it when files are saved wherever the OS feels they go. Other than that the file manager seems fine.
    05-23-14 08:58 AM
    Hmm I tried it but I don't have that option even with pictures.

I have Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2180 with Verizon

I tried it before with leaked 10.2 OSs and never seen that option. Maybe it's 10.3. At least it's improving

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 09:01 AM
    This is what I get when I press "Save Image" (or other file type) from the browser:
    File Manager is intensely terrible-img_20140523_160244.png
    Allows me to specify a name, and browse to whichever folder I like, before actually saving. I am sure that would work similarly for other sources as well.

However if you are talking about choosing where to save app data, I agree it would be nice to be able to save that anywhere you want. Of course most Android ports would still force you to use their pre-made folders.

EDIT: hmm, I was pretty sure 10.2.1 already gave me most of the options I mentioned. But if not, just read my posts here as a preview of what is to come, and a sign they are adding most of the stuff you are asking for.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-23-14 09:08 AM
    If you have a problem finding files, you can always just search for it. You can also move files with the picture app. I have thousands of files, but it's categorized into sub folders. I don't mind the file manager and the issue isn't even with the file manager. That's a BlackBerry issue where it decides to store folders. Also there's alternatives to the native file manager. I think the issue is with your phone not indexing files properly because my file manager loads up fast for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:28 AM
    I wish we would be offered a "save as" option to choose a file name and location. I don't like it when files are saved wherever the OS feels they go. Other than that the file manager seems fine.
    You do have the ability to save as & rename file.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:32 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140523_070451.png 
Views:	1025 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	273041
    So, any recent version of the OS has a dedicated Pictures option when opening the File Sharing interface.
    It shows all pictures on your device sorted by date, has a button to open the Camera, and also has the option to show any Albums that contain images.
    Not to mention the fact you can just search for the filename you want and have it pop up

Other than File Manager doing exactly what you want the location photos are sync'ed to is also easily managed by BBLink. And for the record, any folder from my PC I sync is put in the SD/Photos folder, never anywhere else.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Any recent version of OS as in any recent official version? Not everyone here loads leaks.

And people, file manager is exactly what it's meant to be. It's a FILE MANAGER not a picture editor.
    It works as described and is one of the best features in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    05-23-14 10:40 AM
    Yes, I totally disagree with you!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:42 AM
    Your tripping. If you don't like file manager, get iphone

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    05-23-14 10:53 AM
    I use to agree w/ op until I finally got the hang of how it works.

I created various folders to organize photos. This enables me to use picture app "album" to scroll through that set of pictures versus having to scroll through all wanting to see some.

I also created folders for documents so that when I save them I can specify where they go.

You can also set up in camera app where you want pics taken to be saved. Then you have move to where you want them to go.

This may sound like a pain, but I don't think any platform knows where you want each picture you take stored unless you don't mind 100's of pics in only one place.

So I recommend continuing to play around with it and you'll probably find that it is actually a handy app.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    05-23-14 11:04 AM
    You do have the ability to save as & rename file.

Posted via CB10
    Not when I take a picture or make a video.
    05-23-14 11:07 AM
    Op is complaining because he hadn't used the file manager on android. Or searched for one on an iPhone

From Zarafet my Z30.
    05-23-14 11:42 AM
    I would personally find it very inconvenient if I had to manually name and allocate each photo or video I took. I just snap whatever I want and then either sort it after sync'ing on my PC (if it was important), or I just leave it where it is (SD card/Camera).
    Not when I take a picture or make a video.
    BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-23-14 11:51 AM
28 12