I had a chance to play with the Z10 twitter app for awhile the last few days and it is certainly subpar at best when compared to the iOS and Android official app.
    Is that when I drop "fire your browser in desktop mode ?"
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-25-13 05:55 PM
    What is horrible is the lack of proper communication from the company to its customers. If I don't use twitter how do you address issues? Saying there's an update "soon" this spring is hilarious. I'm a member of the bbforum and cbforum and cb is far more technical about details but the only problem are the fanbois spreading rumors. If I'm a customer who was talked out of his os7 phone to pay a pretty dime for a new z10, then through the first week figure out the flaws and cannot even return the thing because the telecom companies have us by the gonads for 3 years at a time then we have all the right to complain and spread the word. This forum is for unbiased talk.. I never have talked bad about the z10 but having people say dumb things like "maybe ur the problem not the phone" doesn't help anyone. I see it happening in nearly every post. It took Apple 30 hrs to address the lock flaw in ios6 and issued a statement that a fix was in the works last week. It was a public statement not a tweet.. I'm sorry but even though the z10 issues are small they are important. It's not right that the blackberry world feels left in the dark most the time. Microsoft and HTC are famous for that, why follow suit in bad footsteps.
    I think under Thorsten communication is greatly improved and his team has pulled of a massive undertaking. As far as Twitter I could care less as I have a life and Twitter is meaningless sputum but that is my opinion. Blackberry is a work in progress and you have to take into account they engineered a new OS, restaffed upper management and OS team personnel. I do feel they need to do a better job with communication and I think they have made progress.

As far as the problems with the OS I really think these are small issues and easily configured
    Thunderbuck and Knightcrawler like this.
    02-25-13 06:02 PM
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the BB10 social apps. I'm not one of those people who actually depend on broadcast messaging to feel "Connected", so perhaps that's where I get off easy.

Plus Twitter's mobile webapp is completely adequate for most things, so I don't see what the problem is. Perhaps you're too dependent on a particular medium for your communication, or worse, a particular implementation of a particular client for a particular medium...

Posted via CB10
    Good point, bloody people expecting bloody features instead of the bare minimum.
    When will it end?
    Coachbulldog, Creaulx and JeepBB like this.
    02-25-13 06:02 PM
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the BB10 social apps. I'm not one of those people who actually depend on broadcast messaging to feel "Connected", so perhaps that's where I get off easy.

Plus Twitter's mobile webapp is completely adequate for most things, so I don't see what the problem is. Perhaps you're too dependent on a particular medium for your communication, or worse, a particular implementation of a particular client for a particular medium...
    So you don't feel like anything is wrong with the native Twitter app because the Twitter mobile site is good enough?
    That's circular logic, at best.

"This kind of hot dog tastes bad."
    "No, there's nothing wrong with them because I have other kinds of hot dogs that taste good."
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-25-13 06:03 PM
    Good point, bloody people expecting bloody features instead of the bare minimum.
    When will it end?
    There's no system in place to rightly determine if a user deserves more features or not. Perhaps they've been causing some mischief, not making their bed, etc.
    And then they want 4G! Come on!
    02-25-13 06:06 PM
    Awww... cute. Hey, remember when we all went and bought Playbooks because the EMAIL was going to be launched in "a month"? I wonder what "Spring" they're talking about. (yes. I'm jadded.)
    Yeah original PlayBook owners were screwed, though the promise was actually 2 months. Regardless, they didn't get it for 10 months and that sucked.

Still, it is an entirely different C-Level team now ...
    02-25-13 06:10 PM
    What is horrible in BB10 is the horrible Facebook and Twitter apps. There is no reason whatsoever that the Z10 should have launched with these subpar apps. At the very least they should be the equivalent of their iOS and Android counterparts.

Posted via CB10
    Both work fine for me. Maybe you are just a candy a)ss.
    02-25-13 06:16 PM
    What is horrible in BB10 is the horrible Facebook and Twitter apps. There is no reason whatsoever that the Z10 should have launched with these subpar apps. At the very least they should be the equivalent of their iOS and Android counterparts.

Posted via CB10
    Who wrote these apps?
    02-25-13 06:22 PM
    When liking at anyone's profile, swipe their profile pic to left.
    Ha! I didn't know that. I swear I clicked the ctr. image about a dozen or so times, and I never knew you could swipe it. Cool.

Posted via CB10
    I don't use FB at all, and I'd consider myself a light twitter user. I don't use it for business, and I don't use it as a primary communication tool to talk or share things with friends/family, etc. What I mainly use twitter for is reading news, current/live events, and browsing photos or thoughts of the very few people/companies I follow. I'm talking, under 40 people that I'm "connected" with. I'm not exactly your heavy user here.

As for being dependent on a particular medium, I don't think that's fair a comment. It's like saying someone shouldn't completely rely on their local radio station to give them weather information in the morning.

Being dependant on a particular client for a particular medium is a bit different. And I'll admit I absolutely loved everything about Twitter on OS6. For me, it was fantastic. I preferred it to everything else. Ideally, BB would have continued or improved upon that.

Someone else mentioned using the full desktop twitter.com in the browser. I'm all for solutions like this, and prefer adding pages to the Homescreen instead of actual apps for certain sites. (For example, I have my city's Environment Canada page added to my Homescreen which I use instead of a weather app). Twitters desktop page however, while adding some functionality, doesn't align the text properly to read. In order to view a tweet, you need to zoom in and swipe left to right for each tweet. Then swipe down, left, right, down left, right, down, left, right, and so on. Reader mode is unsupported. In this case, using the desktop version won't really do.

ETA*

I should mention the solution to the missing features for me was a 3rd party app called Neatly. The UI can be slow, but not enough for me to stop using the app. I think it was worth the $3. I originally posted in this thread more or less to agree with those saying the official Twitter app is horrible. As someone with under 40 connections on Twitter, I can't imagine what people with multiple accounts or 10,000+ connections or use Twitter for business think of the built in app.
    Last edited by madx80h; 02-25-13 at 06:40 PM.
    02-25-13 06:26 PM
    Ha! I didn't know that. I swear I clicked the ctr. image about a dozen or so times, and I never knew you could swipe it. Cool.
    I doubt many people know that, since there's no indication whatsoever that your profile has a 2nd page to the right.

I got LauncherX For Twitter from BB World. I believe it is a client of the Twitter mobile site.
    Looks virtually identical to native BB10 app, with few minor differences. One of those differences is on profiles under profile pic are 2 dots for each of those pages with the left dot highlighted. Made me wonder about BB Twitter app, and sure enough it functioned identically.
    02-25-13 06:38 PM
    Well perhaps ur right.. I don't have one yet, I'm on the waiting list still from Jan.. Telus stores are horrible. 4 stores and I haven't received a call from anyone of them that my z10 is in.

The reason I'm defending the request for a straight to sms link is because I've seen it mentioned by quite a few people here so it must be something that is wanted, not needed
    02-25-13 07:10 PM
    Spring time update. So we'll get it 2 days before summer. Some time in July. And we'll be disappointed because it will feel like a small update that took 6 months.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 07:35 PM
    Spring runs from 21 March until 21 June.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    4 months after launch is too long a wait for an update? seriously?
    recompile likes this.
    02-25-13 09:30 PM
    Sure hope the update includes the test message icon going directly into text messages and not to the hub.
    But it does go directly to your text messages...it goes into the sub-account Text message in the Hub but not to the Main Hub itself. Isn't that the same then?
    02-25-13 09:42 PM
    Sure hope the update includes the test message icon going directly into text messages and not to the hub.
    Why?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 10:28 PM
    When liking at anyone's profile, swipe their profile pic to left.

If you manage to open the tweet, you can see the image there. These tend to load slowly.
    Some pictures open in the app, some open in the browser. Seems to depend on the url.

Posted via CB10
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    02-25-13 10:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    They're still better than on WP. Besides, IIRC, development of those two apps rests squarely with FB and Twitter.
    02-25-13 10:32 PM
    I am quite excited for an update. I seem to enjoy my Z10 more everyday!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 11:00 PM
    Interestingly, since I've lost all my iphone apps or 'apps' as I thought of them I've found actual mobile pages for these sites are pretty good.

Just add a bookmark to the homescreen. HTML5 is great. touch.facebook.com for example or m.twitter.com or even actual twitter.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 12:04 AM
    Why are you making excuses for BB? They had basically two years to nail down the software before they could make a device. People use OS's to do stuff. That means they need 'stuff'. 'Stuff' should have been a priority.

The explanation is this:

The BB software team decided it was more important to focus on locking down the OS so that it was ready for launch.

Im sure they could've taken another couple of weeks to make the FB and Twitter apps flawless, but i (and pretty much everyone else) would rather have the phones available sooner and just have any issues fixed through incremental updates, rather then delaying the entire launch to make FB work smoother.

It's what we refer to in the business world as "priorities"
    02-26-13 12:07 AM
    If everyone's done whining.....phone calls in bedside mode!
    02-26-13 12:13 AM
    But it does go directly to your text messages...it goes into the sub-account Text message in the Hub but not to the Main Hub itself. Isn't that the same then?
    I thought the same, maybe we're missing something?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 12:37 AM
    Why are you making excuses for BB? They had basically two years to nail down the software before they could make a device. People use OS's to do stuff. That means they need 'stuff'. 'Stuff' should have been a priority.
    I don't know that it's "making excuses", but you do know that this whole effort to bring BB10 out wasn't meant to take this long, right?

The original plan was that there'd be a JVM that would run in the OS and would be able to run all OS7 apps. They were so confident of this approach that they foolishly rushed the PlayBook to market. That infamous "60 day" promise referred to the time they expected to release it (the PlayBook's email and PIM were intended to run in this subsystem). The Z10 as we know it was meant to be the second-gen product, but they couldn't get the JVM working and basically had to write an entire OS when the original plan was to write maybe 30% of one.

Does that help?
    02-26-13 12:39 AM
    I don't know that it's "making excuses", but you do know that this whole effort to bring BB10 out wasn't meant to take this long, right?

The original plan was that there'd be a JVM that would run in the OS and would be able to run all OS7 apps. They were so confident of this approach that they foolishly rushed the PlayBook to market. That infamous "60 day" promise referred to the time they expected to release it (the PlayBook's email and PIM were intended to run in this subsystem). The Z10 as we know it was meant to be the second-gen product, but they couldn't get the JVM working and basically had to write an entire OS when the original plan was to write maybe 30% of one.

Does that help?
    Thanks for taking a commen sense approach.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 12:43 AM
    4 months after launch is too long a wait for an update? seriously?
    Actually given the number of small deficiencies in the current release we should expect a steady cadence of updates each week but we'll be lucky to have a quarter of the identified issues addressed by the first maintenance release. Would it kill BlackBerry to release weekly updates each addressing between one and three issues? Integration and regression testing are easier with a small number of changes rather than waiting for a "major" roll-up reminiscent of the mainframe days.
    bobauckland and JeepBB like this.
    02-26-13 01:56 AM
131 12345 ...