Did anyone catch the recent news that came out the last few days reporting that the FBI potentially has the ability to activate ones microphone on an Android phone and listen in/record any conversations taking place?

FBI potentially has ability to listen in on microphones on Android devices and remotely access user data | TalkAndroid.com

FBI Taps Hacker Tactics to Spy on Suspects - WSJ.com

This story was being talked about on a technology show in Vancouver and then I saw it being discussed on GeekGamer.TV and someone called in and asked whether or not the new Blackberry phones, given that they have Android (a version of it at least) in them, that this technique, if it did come true, could also be applied to spy on Blackberry products.

For those who of you are more technically inclined, would this be possible on a Blackberry phone?
    08-15-13 09:45 PM
    Yes, this has been known for almost six years now, you're a bit late to the party, so I'm not sure why you all of the sudden care...
    08-15-13 09:48 PM
    Yes, this has been known for almost six years now, you're a bit late to the party, so I'm not sure why you all of the sudden care...
    He just found out? Lol. No need to be a jerk. And by "yes" do you mean that it's also possible on a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-15-13 10:04 PM
    I thought the Android section was sandboxed? Doesn't that mean they wouldn't have the capability to operate the phones core apps?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 10:08 PM
    I care as I am curious as to whether or not the android architecture on BB10 would allow a third-party to activate the microphone remotely without the user being aware for the purposes of recording the conversation or whether or not Blackberry's much touted superb built-in security measures within the BB10 architecture itself would prevent such an event from occurring.

And considering that local media here in Vancouver were debating the issue on-air with members of the public questioning whether or not the Z10/Q10 would be susceptible to this sort of thing, it seemed appropriate to post the question. After all, the last time I checked, a forum was a place for discussion to occur.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-15-13 10:13 PM
    I thought the Android section was sandboxed? Doesn't that mean they wouldn't have the capability to operate the phones core apps?

Posted via CB10
    Sandboxing has absolutely nothing to do with a microphone...
    08-15-13 10:16 PM
    He just found out? Lol. No need to be a jerk. And by "yes" do you mean that it's also possible on a BlackBerry?

I absolutely do, but there no need to be offended by the truthful answer... You're a bit wound up there...
    08-15-13 10:17 PM
    I care as I am curious as to whether or not the android architecture on BB10 would allow a third-party to activate the microphone remotely without the user being aware for the purposes of recording the conversation or whether or not Blackberry's much touted superb built-in security measures within the BB10 architecture itself would prevent such an event from occurring.

And considering that local media here in Vancouver were debating the issue on-air with members of the public questioning whether or not the Z10/Q10 would be susceptible to this sort of thing, it seemed appropriate to post the question. After all, the last time I checked, a forum was a place for discussion to occur.
    It has nothing to do with the operating system architecture at all, I find most people digging up these horribly written and poorly if not completely uncited works, and expect an intelligence discussion on this topic...

Side note if people want a discussion, ask for one, you didn't you asked a straightforward question, I gave you a straightforward answer that's factual and not an opinion. There's no discussion... If you had asked to have a discussion I wouldn't have even replied... I would have left you here to fester in misinformation and idiocracy...
    08-15-13 10:19 PM
    The Six Million Dollar Man is real people. Look at what they're doing to the human body.
    You think it can't be done on a phone.
    This technology has been out there for years.
    Rule of thumb, if we the public know about it then it's already been done by the spooks 7-10 years prior.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-15-13 10:21 PM
    It has nothing to do with the operating system architecture at all, I find most people digging up these horribly written and poorly if not completely uncited works, and expect an intelligence discussion on this topic...

Side note if people want a discussion, ask for one, you didn't you asked a straightforward question, I gave you a straightforward answer that's factual and not an opinion. There's no discussion... If you had asked to have a discussion I wouldn't have even replied... I would have left you here to fester in misinformation and idiocracy...
    I'm sorry, but yet you fail to be clear with your answer therefor not helping at all with your post.

What op stated, is it possible in a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    sosof, BigAl_BB9900 and Rowan M like this.
    08-15-13 10:48 PM
    Blackberry does have great security measures, but when governments have agreements with RIM that doesn't matter anymore. You can't honestly think only the Saudi and Indian governments are the only ones with agreements...
    08-15-13 11:05 PM
    Wow, someone is in a bad mood. How dare you come on this forum and ask a question!?

Obviously I am kidding and you ask a good question. I would think that it is possible but I hope someone with more technical knowledge would be able to chime in. This knowledgeable person will hopefully have woken up on the right side of the bed this morning.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 11:21 PM
    I absolutely do, but there no need to be offended by the truthful answer... You're a bit wound up there...
    Your answer is not the issue. It's how rude you replied. And im not the least offended. He simply asked a question. A simple yes or no would've sufficed. Chill bro!

08-15-13 11:27 PM
    The Feds can tap anything if they have reason to. Blackberry HAS to let them in if so ordered or face a bad thing. Don't do crime and you are ok. If the Feds have a suspicion that you are doing no-no's...and feel a need to get to you through your Blackberry, you will be in deep doo doo.
    08-16-13 12:20 AM

Oh no, bro. I fear the great kwm1337 has been annoyed. kwm1337, I hope you can find it in your royal nature to forgive this man his sin of asking a simple question. You're absolutely right, he should have known the answer already. He is a fool, and I will make sure he is duly punished for having wasted your time.

Thanks again for descending down from on high to show us mortals how simple we are. I hope you didn't get any of our dirt on your fine threads, and I hope your brain is no more stupid for having interacted with us.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 02:28 AM
    they can do it on any phone,

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-16-13 02:48 AM
    Oh no, bro. I fear the great kwm1337 has been annoyed. kwm1337, I hope you can find it in your royal nature to forgive this man his sin of asking a simple question. You're absolutely right, he should have known the answer already. He is a fool, and I will make sure he is duly punished for having wasted your time.

Thanks again for descending down from on high to show us mortals how simple we are. I hope you didn't get any of our dirt on your fine threads, and I hope your brain is no more stupid for having interacted with us.

Posted via CB10
    What are you so upset about?

Sent from my S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-16-13 02:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Very funny (not!)
    First of all, does your microphone works? If so, then it's _possible_. I think it's pretty easy to figure out on your own.
    Can your phone record voice with its microphone with screen turned off? If that's the case, still possible.
    Do US agencies use that? Seriously, dude? I don't think that you get answer ever here from a people that can prove it. If he/she can do, won't disclose it. If not... worthy as any dog drops on the street.
    I'm sure BlackBerry could make it happen but I'm sure even if they ever used something like that (and I don't believe they did), must have some a real strong case against that individual.

Or maybe this is the reason behind random battery drains.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    08-16-13 03:04 AM
    If he has just found out then that would be why he cares.
    Your snide comment was irrelevant

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900, bob_tn and Masahiro like this.
    08-16-13 05:54 AM
    There is Lawful Interception employed on every network, which enables call and data interception. There are some rules, one of them is court order.

If this what OP is referring to, it has nothing to do with phone OS and it is done inside carriers infrastructure.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:36 PM
    This reminds my of OnStar, yes OnStar.
    They have the ability to listen in without you ever knowing.
    No chime, no led notification.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:47 PM

Posted via CB10

Lmao

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 04:15 PM
    There is a presumption, probably correct, that most phones couldn't operate their audio stack in standby power mode. Obviously Motorola has figured out how to do it. And so has Qualcomm (Snapdragon). I don't know if the feature is in the Blackberries.
    08-16-13 04:33 PM
    I was recently attending a seminar in the GTA, and a constable from the gang squad was commenting on how once they get a warrant, they can easily tape into all of the suspects items that access different networks, except for Blackberries which he said was impossible. He didn't seem like a tech guru, but that's what he said.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 04:51 PM
    I was recently attending a seminar in the GTA, and a constable from the gang squad was commenting on how once they get a warrant, they can easily tape into all of the suspects items that access different networks, except for Blackberries which he said was impossible. He didn't seem like a tech guru, but that's what he said.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly what I was previously referring to on my previous post: Lawful Interception.

All carriers have this, and it is legal. But, this has nothing to do with specific OS and it is done on carriers core network infrastructure.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 06:47 PM
41 12