BlackBerry had to develop a totally separate BES system to eventually work with BB10...
    While it's slightly off-topic here, I don't think that's a completey accurate characterization.

Historically RIM used a totally proprietary communication protocol to link its BES system with groupware servers. This was increasingly becoming a liability because there was more and more demand to use a more standards-based approach, and the lack of direct device support for Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync was hurting the competitiveness of RIM's Blackberry devices in the marketplace.

At the same time, EAS had matured quite a bit and had become a full-featured and robust groupware communications protocol for mobile devices. So RIM made the decision to re-write BES to be EAS-centric, and move away from their proprietary connectivity protocol. Here is their full explanation:

Does RIM Compromise on Security by Using ActiveSync? The answer is No, and here�€™s why�€� | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

But BIS was a different animal. We got conflicting information about it prior to the release of BB10. At first, some regional BlackBerry manager somewhere said that BIS would continue. Then, right before the official reveal of BB10 on N.Y., there was a statement from BlackBerry that BIS was not going to be used or supported by the new phones using BB10.

But there was never any actual explanation from BlackBerry about why.

A perennial beef I have with the company, by the way. They just don't seem to prioritize communicating with their customers much at all. And it doesn't help that the people that they DO grant interviews to often don't ask them the difficult questions many of us would like to hear answers for, even if that means hearing "We won't answer that". I'd LOVE to hear them be posed questions like: "Why did BB10 abandon BIS?", and "Is data compression a true advantage for BIS today?" and "Is it true carriers are pushing to abandon BIS?", etc.

There was a long thread here in the forums with strong opinionated arguments back and forth that seemed to last for several months. I even participated with a few comments and questions. I didn't think I'd like to lose it. But, as it turned out, I don't miss it a bit.

Don't worry, there are a handful of people here who will probably keep bringing-up BIS and its supposed superiority until the year 3000. Plenty of opportunities down the road to wade back in with those hip-waders on.

However, I can see a use for it for certain IMAP/pop3 email functionality. I just don't know if that kind of integration was just simply not possible. Maybe... maybe not.
    To rehash the original post somewhat:
    BIS's main advantage was for old POP mail systems, which are now slowly-but-surely going the way of the dodo bird.

It also has some minor "push" email advantages, but those advantages are A) not as significant as the BIS squeaky-wheels would like to believe as far as I'm concerned, and B) those supposed advantages come with some very severe disadvantages. Many of these points are bulleted in the OP here.

Lastly, my sense is that the majority of engineering staff responsible for architecting and maintaining BIS products and infrastructure have probably been made redundant at the company through all of its various layoffs, so the likelihood of resurrecting that technology at BlackBerry at this point is likely extremely low. That ship has sailed, basically.
    04-03-14 01:40 AM
    I do miss BIS with my 500mb data plan but now I have the fastest HTML5 browser of all phones on my Z30 and im loving itttt
    And I am pretty darn sure that if that browser had to have its data funnelled through BIS the way the legacy devices did it, it would be completely impossible for the company to ever be competitive in browser performance compared to modern competition. One of the many downsides of BIS.
    04-03-14 01:45 AM
    And I am pretty darn sure that if that browser had to have its data funnelled through BIS the way the legacy devices did it, it would be completely impossible for the company to ever be competitive in browser performance compared to modern competition. One of the many downsides of BIS.
    exactly, you have to give up some to get some :P

Which is why now without BIS we have the fastest HTML5 browser on the market
    04-03-14 03:29 PM
    Sorry to break the bad news: we don't have the fastest browser.

The chart was misinterpreted in the CB article. I did question the finding in the comments for the original article, but I was "overruled" by questionable arguments.

I have gad a nice communication with New Relic and they are working on an official statement to be posted on CB.

The results from the chart are exactly as they wrote: For BlackBerry 5 (5-6 years old!).

Sorry guys!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 03:55 PM
    HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?,
    they didn`t even test 10.2.1 yet, just 10.2
    Last edited by khehl; 04-03-14 at 04:49 PM.
    rthonpm likes this.
    04-03-14 04:28 PM
    Sorry to break the bad news: we don't have the fastest browser.

The chart was misinterpreted in the CB article.

Regardless, and I don't know if you had any legacy BlackBerry devices, but the BB10 browser is lightyears ahead of what people were stuck with on legacy BBOS.

No matter how you slice it, trying to go back to a BBOS device after having gotten used to web browsing on BB10 - especially with an all-touch device - has to be ridiculously painful.

It's bad enough that even with BB10, many websites don't serve compatible content to it even though it's webkit based - whereas I sincerely doubt that almost any website caters to BBOS web browsers any more.

(FWIW: on websites that are stupidly designed like that - like Yelp - I use the Evolution browser and change the User-Agent to either iPhone or Android and those sites then work peachy.)
    Davidro1 likes this.
    04-04-14 08:38 AM
    (FWIW: on websites that are stupidly designed like that - like Yelp - I use the Evolution browser and change the User-Agent to either iPhone or Android and those sites then work peachy.)
    Question: does changing the user agents to iphone or android help for any other websites like HERE or Google Maps? If not, more examples please!! :P This may convince me to buy it haha
    04-04-14 10:31 AM
    Question: does changing the user agents to iphone or android help for any other websites like HERE or Google Maps? If not, more examples please!! :P This may convince me to buy it haha

I'm sure it does, I suggest you spend the princely sum of $3 or whatever they are asking for it these days and test it yourself.

Or, there is a beta version of a new web browser for BB10 that apparently now has a user-agent customization feature, if you can't handle the $3:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...thread-914299/
    04-04-14 07:19 PM
    On my bold 9900 i have a service plan that gives me worldwide unlimited internet.If i change to the passport ill lose it.
    Will my service still be supported on the classic?
    12-17-14 11:18 AM
    Lube helps.
    Lmao

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:54 PM
    On my bold 9900 i have a service plan that gives me worldwide unlimited internet.If i change to the passport ill lose it.
    I have that kind of plan too. Last time I had an international trip I changed the APN to BlackBerry.net. Data roaming worked, later on when I received my phone bill there was no additional roaming charges.

Your mileage may vary, though.

... Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 ...
    12-20-14 02:56 PM
    I never changed my plan from a BIS plan when I had my 9800 to my Z10.

So it's still a BIS plan, but BB10 doesn't access any of the BIS features.

My APN is BlackBerry.net (Not sure what this does though...)
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    12-20-14 04:27 PM
    Check with him carrier. Kevin o'leary in Canada said he would lose his international plan when going BB10.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:04 PM
    I see that the latest posters posted 8 months after the last post because them, so I don't feel bad resurrecting this post. I feel such a strong need to tell the BIS haters to get off their high horses it's not funny.

I get the non-speed related limitations with BIS but there's no reason why a new 'BIS10' couldn't be created without them. Furthermore, the file download limits could easily have been removed. As it is I can not send videos via BBM and Whatsapp over 16MB and other stupid little limitations like that on my Z30. So yayyyy...

Speed. Speed. SPEED! I had a 9810 for a while and I was able to get 7mbps and sub-100ms ping when the phone was capable of 14.4mbps down. Netflix 1080p goes up to 6mbps. Way ahead of the bis I knew on my storm, which was good for 30% of the maximum theoretical speed of the CDMA technology. Tell me again then how terrible BIS is. I'd gladly settle for half the maximum HSPA speed on my Z30 row the data compression alone.

No, BlackBerry would not have had problems maintaining the infrastructure if they had LTE phones on BIS because I love how people conveniently forgot that services revenues or BlackBerry ran at a 90% profit margin. Plus their sales tanked regardless of the Z10 so hey, they probably wouldn't even needed to buy new equipment to handle the traffic.

I would be perfectly content with it being optional. I'd pay BlackBerry directly 5 a month for BIS, and premium bbm features. Chrome and Opera have it optional, so I say bring out a new lean, mean BIS10 and I'm there.
    04-04-15 02:02 PM
    I would pay BlackBerry for BIS and for BBM calls to landlines.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 and 308hunter like this.
    04-04-15 03:44 PM
    I see that the latest posters posted 8 months after the last post because them, so I don't feel bad resurrecting this post. I feel such a strong need to tell the BIS haters to get off their high horses it's not funny.

I get the non-speed related limitations with BIS but there's no reason why a new 'BIS10' couldn't be created without them. Furthermore, the file download limits could easily have been removed. As it is I can not send videos via BBM and Whatsapp over 16MB and other stupid little limitations like that on my Z30. So yayyyy...

Speed. Speed. SPEED! I had a 9810 for a while and I was able to get 7mbps and sub-100ms ping when the phone was capable of 14.4mbps down. Netflix 1080p goes up to 6mbps. Way ahead of the bis I knew on my storm, which was good for 30% of the maximum theoretical speed of the CDMA technology. Tell me again then how terrible BIS is. I'd gladly settle for half the maximum HSPA speed on my Z30 row the data compression alone.

No, BlackBerry would not have had problems maintaining the infrastructure if they had LTE phones on BIS because I love how people conveniently forgot that services revenues or BlackBerry ran at a 90% profit margin. Plus their sales tanked regardless of the Z10 so hey, they probably wouldn't even needed to buy new equipment to handle the traffic.

I would be perfectly content with it being optional. I'd pay BlackBerry directly 5 a month for BIS, and premium bbm features. Chrome and Opera have it optional, so I say bring out a new lean, mean BIS10 and I'm there.
    It was also up too the carriers to keep BIS running. It is old infrastructure that costs a lot too keep running.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 04:01 PM

Technology and demands have changed. There's a lot more https traffic and media consumption than when BIS came out where it was more compressible data. That is a very big difference from today's typical usage and fatter pipes available. It wouldn't be the same experience, but I suppose a few benefits would be double (implement mTCP to use both wifi and cellular at same time, for example), it might not be worth while for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 04:31 PM
    It was also up too the carriers to keep BIS running. It is old infrastructure that costs a lot too keep running.

Posted via CB10
    It's still up and running now.
    04-05-15 04:01 AM
    It's still up and running now.

Like an albatross around BlackBerry's neck.
    06-24-15 03:39 AM
    Haha welcome back omnitech.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 09:50 AM
    Welcome back Omnitech

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 10:05 AM
    Haha welcome back omnitech.
    Thanks.
    06-24-15 10:44 AM
    Like an albatross around BlackBerry's neck.
    More like a life jacket.
    06-24-15 11:49 AM
    More like a life jacket.
    If that life jacket was made of lead.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 01:41 PM
    belfastdispatcher and Omnitech? Did we just go back to 2013??!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2204
    rthonpm, ssbtech and FCSC like this.
    06-24-15 07:07 PM
141 ... 3456