Had to look up that one:
    https://www.punkt.ch/en/inspiration/...esign-festival

So its actually kind of a dumbphone with a hotspot?!?
    12-20-18 06:03 AM
    Had to look up that one:

Yes.
    12-20-18 10:02 AM

It's why everything BlackBerry offers now is largely device agnostic. He doesn't want to be the supplier of hardware. It was a losing battle. He wants BlackBerry to be the software behind the hardware, no matter which hardware it is.

Want to use an iPhone? Cool, run it on UEM. Want to use a Pixel? Cool. BlackBerry has you covered there as well. Mac/Windows.. doesn't matter, BlackBerry can cover it. Still need a physical keyboard? Great, our partners have great BlackBerry Android devices to choose from and they work with BlackBerry software just finnne.
    This is a GREAT point, because it's EXACTLY the business model that Bill Gates / Microsoft used.
    They licensed MS-DOS and later Windows to ANYONE who manufactured a PC compatible computer. They also acquired many smaller companies along the way.

This looks to me very much like what BB is doing these days and it's working.
    12-20-18 10:49 AM
    Has nothing to do with being nice. This was OP's very first post and the topic has been discussed ad nasuem. There's only so many posts on the same topic one can indulge before the conversation goes from 'Gee, that's interesting'.. to 'Yeah, that's not going to happen'.

At some point, people tune out and just skip to the point, because it's a road with a well beaten path, that leads to nowhere. BBOS and BB10 are well on their way out, chances for a revival are slim to none and the sooner people realize that the better.

As I noted in my post, I think it's fair to say some people are wanting and looking for alternative options but again, BBOS and BB10 are not it. The powers that are currently in control of those things want nothing to with them, and if the people in control of it want nothing to do with it, what makes anyone think they'll suddenly change their mind on it?

John Chen is NOT going to wake up one day, read some headline about Facebook being hacked yet again and think 'Gee, I got some money in the bank. Let's fire up the BBOS production lines again'. If anything, he's hoping those remaining on BlackBerry device service contracts bail early so he doesn't have to worry about hardware and can get them to reup their software contracts with any Android, or iOS hardware of their choosing.

It's why everything BlackBerry offers now is largely device agnostic. He doesn't want to be the supplier of hardware. It was a losing battle. He wants BlackBerry to be the software behind the hardware, no matter which hardware it is.

Want to use an iPhone? Cool, run it on UEM. Want to use a Pixel? Cool. BlackBerry has you covered there as well. Mac/Windows.. doesn't matter, BlackBerry can cover it. Still need a physical keyboard? Great, our partners have great BlackBerry Android devices to choose from and they work with BlackBerry software just finnne.

Meanwhile, you're lucky if you can find an IT admin who will even support / allow a BBOS/BB10 device on their network. Sometimes speaking the truth comes off as not sounding nice, but that doesn't make it any less true. Conversation is always welcome, but don't expect everyone to sugar coat things either, especially on a already well discussed topic such as this one.
    Sorry. Didn't want to, but Tapatalk's edit isn't allowing me to trim Bla1ze 's post.

Nailed it. Should be a sticky to use as a standard response.

FWIW, I loved BB10. I'm not happy that my mainstream choices are iOS or Android, and even less happy that a BlackDroid device that meets my criteria/needs doesn't exist yet.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-20-18 11:20 AM
    Sorry. Didn't want to, but Tapatalk's edit isn't allowing me to trim Bla1ze 's post.

Nailed it. Should be a sticky to use as a standard response.

FWIW, I loved BB10. I'm not happy that my mainstream choices are iOS or Android, and even less happy that a BlackDroid device that meets my criteria/needs doesn't exist yet.
    Are you on KEYone or Key2?
    12-20-18 07:39 PM
    Are you on KEYone or Key2?
    Neither. LG G7 with 2 hours of use off Craigslist for $450. Added BB Suite to get Hub and Keyboard.
    12-20-18 10:52 PM
    Had to look up that one:

Taking us back to quieter (and sometimes better) times.

Q10 Powered
    12-21-18 05:31 AM
    Taking us back to quieter (and sometimes better) times.

Q10 Powered
    Agree. More hoping that Jiophone 3 would be a Jiophone 2 plus a hotspot
    12-23-18 08:42 AM
    I'm a stranger here, having joined just to chime in.

Despite all wisdom directing me to believe Blackberry OS 10 is a dinosaur waiting for the asteroid, there's something telling me that a lot has changed in the mobile device market lately, and that BB OS could make a reprise. It's a long shot, but not unhinged. Hear me out.

The world is awash with paranoia --- the devices in our pockets are milking our data until it hurts, and little is to be trusted as political cycles thrash about the collective newspaper headline. Android is under billions of dollars of scrutiny as the EU investigates Google's allegedly consumer-privacy violating business practices, Facebook is tumbling to bits as foreign interference risks to collapse its ad-space ecosystem and the walled-garden of Apple devices is nothing short of joining a cult.

I stand to say, people are increasingly aware of what they have to loose pawning away their digital life, and some are seeking a way out. That is where I see BB OS filling a gap.

Look at the Punkt2 phone. Perhaps not a practical alternative for the average salary worker, as it lacks most any app ecosystem, but it promises total device security (underwritten by Blackberry), android-free operation, and great promise that who ever uses it will be comforted by the knowledge that not one silicon-valley executive will be chiming in on tomorrows buying habits. That's a powerful and appealing statement in a world awash in Orwellian foreshadowing.

When the Punkt phone grows up, what is that going to look like? Blackberry OS. It's a simple and reasonable extension of what the Punkt phone is promising: a rejection of the superficial and arrogant attempt by the silicon cabal to take dominion of his own pocket and leave him a mere serf to the interests of industrial open-pit data mining.

There was a time, not so long ago, when to own your own ideas carried they charming label of "heresy". To think for yourself was to question the authority of the robed friar piping virtue from the Vulgate.

We are at a cross-roads as to whether we own our thoughts, or allow them to be owned, and we need to think about where Blackberry positions itself on the matter.

For the creator, for the doer, let them keep their pocket.
    How does this fix the Fake News issue?
    eshropshire likes this.
    12-23-18 03:20 PM
    In about no time at all the stress cracks have swelled up to eat cars off the street and to say the least, this has been an educational experience.

What I say about BB10 is meant as an attack against the new philosophy of software environment... The old way was maybe too soon too late - an operating system as a layer of straightforward and delivered utility (maybe a little ecosystem lock-in, but about it). In practical terms of tirade, I make reprized claim to our virtual realm--- the "primordial shed" --- our shelter of the productive and creative self as it is resolved in the digital domain.

We were independent users at one time, in a system that served us. We bought and paid for our software instance, we knew what a transaction looked like because a bill was paid.

Today, no more of this, and the trade off is a prowler in the shadows. You may not personally realize the downside to Android knowing you better than you, but that changes when we come on rough times. If it were a seismic thing, there may come a great awareness that the cliff's edge is approaching -- that perhaps an en-mass liquidation of our collective secrets was a bad idea -- it'll be too late to buck the stampede. This is a discussion of repercussion, and what choice consumers have to signal their concern to the market before the trap door drops.

Look, to put it simply, there might be one hell of a push-back against personal data mining coming up. Customers may soon be willing to pay a premium to own a trusted platform where the rules a defined from day one: a software environment immune to passive advertising surveillance, hardware procured through verified and accountable partners, and a spade as a spade. We're still going to want our features, we're still going to want to BBM the Jones, but we'll steer damn well far enough from the Basilisk. Does that sound like a Blackberry to you?
    dmlis likes this.
    12-23-18 04:34 PM
    Look, to put it simply, there might be one hell of a push-back against personal data mining coming up. Customers may soon be willing to pay a premium to own a trusted platform where the rules a defined from day one: a software environment immune to passive advertising surveillance, hardware procured through verified and accountable partners, and a spade as a spade. We're still going to want our features, we're still going to want to BBM the Jones, but we'll steer damn well far enough from the Basilisk. Does that sound like a Blackberry to you?
    People have been saying that since 2008, believing that some event was going to cause people to rush back to BB's mobile OSs/devices. It hasn't happened yet and it isn't going to happen in the future because BB is out of that game and has nothing to offer. BB10 isn't coming back, ever, no matter what. BB has zero interest in it, and their opinion is the only one that matters.

Meanwhile, you can bet that the number of "smart speakers" and "personal assistants" in active use is going to TRIPLE over the next week. Privacy isn't exactly the direction that the market is heading towards, and consumers are driving the direction with their dollars.
    12-24-18 12:26 AM
    People have been saying that since 2008, believing that some event was going to cause people to rush back to BB's mobile OSs/devices. It hasn't happened yet and it isn't going to happen in the future because BB is out of that game and has nothing to offer. BB10 isn't coming back, ever, no matter what. BB has zero interest in it, and their opinion is the only one that matters.

Meanwhile, you can bet that the number of "smart speakers" and "personal assistants" in active use is going to TRIPLE over the next week. Privacy isn't exactly the direction that the market is heading towards, and consumers are driving the direction with their dollars.
    Facebook continues to grow despite zero confidence in privacy and Zucker. The people have spoken.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-24-18 06:08 AM
    In about no time at all the stress cracks have swelled up to eat cars off the street and to say the least, this has been an educational experience.

What I say about BB10 is meant as an attack against the new philosophy of software environment... The old way was maybe too soon too late - an operating system as a layer of straightforward and delivered utility (maybe a little ecosystem lock-in, but about it). In practical terms of tirade, I make reprized claim to our virtual realm--- the "primordial shed" --- our shelter of the productive and creative self as it is resolved in the digital domain.

We were independent users at one time, in a system that served us. We bought and paid for our software instance, we knew what a transaction looked like because a bill was paid.

Today, no more of this, and the trade off is a prowler in the shadows. You may not personally realize the downside to Android knowing you better than you, but that changes when we come on rough times. If it were a seismic thing, there may come a great awareness that the cliff's edge is approaching -- that perhaps an en-mass liquidation of our collective secrets was a bad idea -- it'll be too late to buck the stampede. This is a discussion of repercussion, and what choice consumers have to signal their concern to the market before the trap door drops.

Well Apple pretty much took the vacuum BB left behind. Not much room for BB to come back anymore.
    12-25-18 12:59 PM
    Well Apple pretty much took the vacuum BB left behind. Not much room for BB to come back anymore.
    You mean Facetime caught you vacuuming in your housecoat before that big video conference started?
    02-14-19 03:18 AM
    Hey maybe that's how TMZ gets some of its scoops. There's probably some outfit archiving those today, on a grand scale, on the chance that someone will be the supreme court nominee in 2057. Because, that's just the way it is today -excuse for the data vacuuming fair trade for free-ish, but not really, smartphones. Who knows? I certainly don't.
    02-14-19 03:24 AM
    I try to live by the old adage to "not speak unless you have something nice to say". You could insert polite for nice as well. The problem with a lot of these posts are the vitriolic facetious responses they usually get. If someone appears to challenge accepted thinking. Sure, some of these could be trolling but most appear to be people who are unaware of the entire back story. Many of these posters leave and do not come back.

So my question is why even respond if all you have to say is a negative one without actually providing constructive help?

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and bb9900user2018 like this.
    02-14-19 08:39 AM
    I try to live by the old adage to "not speak unless you have something nice to say". You could insert polite for nice as well. The problem with a lot of these posts are the vitriolic facetious responses they usually get. If someone appears to challenge accepted thinking. Sure, some of these could be trolling but most appear to be people who are unaware of the entire back story. Many of these posters leave and do not come back.

So my question is why even respond if all you have to say is a negative one without actually providing constructive help?

Posted via CB10
    Now, I suppose if this actually ocurred at the bb10 launch and beyond....I would guess that Blackberry bb10 might still have 10% market share or more (that would be a healthy number I would guess) . The lynching it received after launch (marketing sponsored media, regular media, retail etc), for some time, turned consumers away. But alas that is the world we live in. So we've got to try to roll with the punches (It also would have helped had it had deeper investment pockets to weather the rough seas at launch).
    02-16-19 03:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    How do you constructively respond when the OP is constructively impossible?
    02-16-19 07:34 AM
    Now, I suppose if this actually ocurred at the bb10 launch and beyond....I would guess that Blackberry bb10 might still have 10% market share or more (that would be a healthy number I would guess) . The lynching it received after launch (marketing sponsored media, regular media, retail etc), for some time, turned consumers away. But alas that is the world we live in. So we've got to try to roll with the punches (It also would have helped had it had deeper investment pockets to weather the rough seas at launch).
    The pockets weren’t ever deep enough compared with Android/IOS when even Microsoft included....
    02-16-19 07:35 AM
    The world needs more love so if I can not offer anything I read and move on.

Posted via CB10
    iled likes this.
    02-16-19 10:14 AM
    The OP made a credible assertion for the most part.
    I would however take exception to one component of the assertion, and that is the:
    "To think for yourself was to question the authority of the robed friar piping virtue from the Vulgate. "
    ...because of course that little bit of his/her assertion, is in fact "Fake News" in itself and does not stand up to real scrutiny....as open enquiry for the purpose of growth, understanding and scientific revelation, within the confines of moral code of behaviour was perfectly reasonable and acceptable. The only exception was the deliberate violation of the moral code for such purposes and other disordered self-gratifications.....which manifested itself in things like slavery in any manifestation or form through the ages, human experimentation, violating the dignity of the human being....and a large variety other variants.
    The "moral code" in different eras/eposchs of course has come under different challenges and attacks as to its universality and validity.
    02-17-19 02:11 AM
    I think the OP and I have something in common, a dream that a simple, useful, and secure platform will be developed, and come with a PKB. Apple may be secure, but it has way too many functions for me to be interested. Punkt would be ideal if it had a QWERTY keyboard.

But, my wish is, and will likely remain a dream for some time to come.

Where the OP and I differ, perhaps, is that I recognize that my dream will be beaten up brutally on this forum. So, I quickly learned to keep my dreams fairly quiet here.

As long as I can text and voice call, I'll be very happy with my Q10. When these functions cease to work, I may give up texting entirely. That's how much I hate virtual keyboards and large smartphones (key series included).

I'll be sitting on my veranda shaking my cane at every passerby yelling incoherent insults at them.

Oh well, back to silently dreaming.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    02-17-19 08:13 PM
    I think the OP and I have something in common, a dream that a simple, useful, and secure platform will be developed, and come with a PKB. Apple may be secure, but it has way too many functions for me to be interested. Punkt would be ideal if it had a QWERTY keyboard.

But, my wish is, and will likely remain a dream for some time to come.

Where the OP and I differ, perhaps, is that I recognize that my dream will be beaten up brutally on this forum. So, I quickly learned to keep my dreams fairly quiet here.

As long as I can text and voice call, I'll be very happy with my Q10. When these functions cease to work, I may give up texting entirely. That's how much I hate virtual keyboards and large smartphones (key series included).

I'll be sitting on my veranda shaking my cane at every passerby yelling incoherent insults at them.

Oh well, back to silently dreaming.

Posted via CB10
    Punkt is more Android than anything else so when the day comes you can just buy whatever BBAndroid PKB device is within your budget and just never setup the Android/Google on the device. Just never create anything under the Google ID and you should be just fine. With texting and voice calls, you’ll be just fine. Of course, this is after your Q10 and BB10 no longer functions.

It’s when the dream leaves your head that it’s no longer just a dream, if you try and position it as something other than just a dream. That’s what threads and blogs are really about. It’s no different than if you’re having a conversation in a bar, lounge, cafe or restaurant and discussing technology, sports or politics..
    02-17-19 08:40 PM
48 12