Can someone kindly explain the technical differences between a security wipe, factory reset, and a reload, and the different circumstances in which each should be used?

I thought I fully understood them, but now I'm not so sure....

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-17 10:04 PM
    Security wipe: Overwriting of data with random bytes to prevent data recovery. Of limited usefulness unless you are Doctor No. Used to prevent data recovery.

Factory reset: Resetting your phone's settings to their factory state. On Blackberry 10 this process also includes a security wipe. Used to reset your phone when you are too lazy to use an autoloader.

Reload / nuke and pave / autoloader: Reloads your phone's firmware from scratch, fixes all software corruption issues and erroneous undeletable settings which are not cleared by the factory reset. On BB10, this does not include a security wipe. Used to reset your phone, only way to guarantee a clean reset. This is what you should use.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 03:23 AM
    Security wipe: Overwriting of data with random bytes to prevent data recovery. Of limited usefulness unless you are Doctor No. Used to prevent data recovery.

Factory reset: Resetting your phone's settings to their factory state. On Blackberry 10 this process also includes a security wipe. Used to reset your phone when you are too lazy to use an autoloader.

Reload / nuke and pave / autoloader: Reloads your phone's firmware from scratch, fixes all software corruption issues and erroneous undeletable settings which are not cleared by the factory reset. On BB10, this does not include a security wipe. Used to reset your phone, only way to guarantee a clean reset. This is what you should use.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. So is a security wipe needed in conjunction with a reload to ensure all trace data is gone?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 05:27 AM
    Thanks. So is a security wipe needed in conjunction with a reload to ensure all trace data is gone?

Posted via CB10
    Technically you could say so, but in practice I am not aware of any cases where recovery from a normal delete + reload has been performed. It might be possible in a lab under controlled circumstances, but most normal people will not have any enemies capable of attempting to recover this data.
    11-14-17 11:10 AM
    Also, a factory reset, if done using the option in Link, reloads your carrier "approved" OS version - if the phone is carrier locked. Factory unlocked phones should get the latest BlackBerry offers regardless of carrier.

Caveat for locked phones is that if you already have a much newer OS than what your carrier offers. Say, for example, your carrier is still on 10.3.2, but you've already loaded 10.3.3. The factory reset will fail because the phone won't let you go back.

Having said that, it is unlikely to happen because even if you are carrier locked, pretty much every carrier is current to 10.3.3. Even AT&T, surprisingly. There may be a few stragglers.
    11-14-17 12:32 PM