Hi all,

Reading through previous posts, I really should have thought about this half a year ago.

I would like to follow instructions on setting up without BBID (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...issue-1193846/).

I own a Z30, and have not realized that BlackBerry Protect was still activated when the servers shut down. I am unable to wipe the device using the standard procedure.
    "Settings -> Security and Privacy -> Security Wipe" will ask for BBID password, but nothing happens on "verify". A wrong password is rejected (and failed attempts count up to 10). "BlackBerry Protect anti-theft feature is on. [...]"
    "Settings -> BlackBerry Protect" warns that BB Protect Is Unavailable. The Toggle is on Off, but the anti-theft feature remains on.

Now, I am wondering what happens if I enter my password wrong 10 times. Under normal circumstances this should wipe the device, but I am not sure if that is the case with active BB Protect. Might it just lock the device up all-together?

Would appreciate any leads if I have a chance to wipe this device.

Cheers
    06-08-22 01:32 AM
    also for wipe you can use Sachesi
    06-08-22 02:00 PM
    Hi all,

Reading through previous posts, I really should have thought about this half a year ago.

I would like to follow instructions on setting up without BBID (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...issue-1193846/).

I own a Z30, and have not realized that BlackBerry Protect was still activated when the servers shut down. I am unable to wipe the device using the standard procedure.
    "Settings -> Security and Privacy -> Security Wipe" will ask for BBID password, but nothing happens on "verify". A wrong password is rejected (and failed attempts count up to 10). "BlackBerry Protect anti-theft feature is on. [...]"
    "Settings -> BlackBerry Protect" warns that BB Protect Is Unavailable. The Toggle is on Off, but the anti-theft feature remains on.

Now, I am wondering what happens if I enter my password wrong 10 times. Under normal circumstances this should wipe the device, but I am not sure if that is the case with active BB Protect. Might it just lock the device up all-together?

Would appreciate any leads if I have a chance to wipe this device.

Cheers
    The only reason you really need to wipe a device is if you want to sell it or something goes awry with the system. The setting up without BBID was just a precautionary measure pre-shutdown.

If you do wipe, however, protect shouldn't be an issue.
    06-08-22 02:19 PM
    Alright, thank you.

Yes, considering selling it. It has been lying in my drawer since BB shutdown so not really a good use for a "perfectly" fine phone.

Not sure I interpret this correctly, I can use Sachesi to wipe, but can I wipe by entering passcode wrong 10x without any issue?

I might look into the Sachesi, just in case.
    06-26-22 08:24 PM
    Alright, thank you.

Yes, considering selling it. It has been lying in my drawer since BB shutdown so not really a good use for a "perfectly" fine phone.

Not sure I interpret this correctly, I can use Sachesi to wipe, but can I wipe by entering passcode wrong 10x without any issue?

I might look into the Sachesi, just in case.
    You can wipe whichever way you prefer, just run this fix afterwards to be able to sideload native apps.

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13625326
    06-26-22 08:58 PM
    Thank you - and apologies for the double post.

I have tried connecting with Sachesi 2.0.4 under Windows 10, but it does not seem to connect properly.
    It finds the device "Connected to MSM8960AB CS PVS4 ASTRO Rev:18 at 169.254.136.161." but the connection logo keeps spinning.

I am thinking of going the 10xwrong passcode way, but worried that the above connection issue might be a problem later on?
    06-26-22 09:10 PM
    Thank you - and apologies for the double post.

I have tried connecting with Sachesi 2.0.4 under Windows 10, but it does not seem to connect properly.
    It finds the device "Connected to MSM8960AB CS PVS4 ASTRO Rev:18 at 169.254.136.161." but the connection logo keeps spinning.

I am thinking of going the 10xwrong passcode way, but worried that the above connection issue might be a problem later on?
    What do you need with Sachesi? Not sure if a wipe is possible with that program.
    An autoloader or entering your password wrong 10 times should be simple enough...
    06-27-22 11:51 AM
    Thanks - I agree not really required - a Wipe via Sachesi is possible and was suggested above.
    My concern is, that this connection issue that I find now bites me later! (Connection to BB Link works fine!)
    06-27-22 09:22 PM
    Update: I have performed the wipe via 10x wrong password.
    Now I am stuck at " 5. You will hear the Screen Reader start reading off comments about Blackberry ID, even though you will see the Wi-Fi setup screen that you've been stuck on for weeks. Wait until you heard the Screen Reader say "Skip" then IMMEDIATELY double tap the screen at the top left, right below the words "Connect to Wi-Fi"."

My Z30 does not start reading off the BB ID comments - nothing happens!
    06-28-22 06:57 PM
    Update: Rinse and repeat. I have tried and retried multiple times and finally the BBID stuff was read out to me. Thanks for all the help here!
    06-28-22 07:37 PM
    The only reason you really need to wipe a device is if you want to sell it or something goes awry with the system. The setting up without BBID was just a precautionary measure pre-shutdown.

If you do wipe, however, protect shouldn't be an issue.
    Don't know if you're still active on here, but I recently got a Blackberry Classic (Q20) and it has the anti theft feature enabled. I did a security wipe on Sachesi and I am stuck now.
    05-16-23 06:11 AM
    Don't know if you're still active on here, but I recently got a Blackberry Classic (Q20) and it has the anti theft feature enabled. I did a security wipe on Sachesi and I am stuck now.
    You followed all these steps https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...issue-1193846/

Some find it more helpful to just do an Autoloader then follow those directions. But it's not unusually for some to have to do it a number of times.
    05-16-23 01:06 PM
    i'll try again to double check, but im pretty sure i did. when i got to the blackberry id screen, it said something along the lines of "blackberry id anti theft is enabled please log in".
    05-16-23 02:02 PM
    i'll try again to double check, but im pretty sure i did. when i got to the blackberry id screen, it said something along the lines of "blackberry id anti theft is enabled please log in".
    Those steps are VERY tricky. You may have to repeat a few times to get it right (as mentioned).
    05-16-23 03:07 PM
    I actually have a Classic in a drawer somewhere in the same condition and just haven't take the time to mess with it.

There's a few hints in the main thread through.

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13673756

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13675141
    05-16-23 05:13 PM
    Hoping someone can help me. I have a Blackberry Classic Q20 - and originally, I'd set it up with my BB ID and it has protection enabled. Could not remember my device password as I hadn't used it in ages, so - deliberately put wrong password ten times and it factory reset - or so I thought. When I went to set it up again, of course, it hangs at wi-fi. I went through the article on this site to skip the BB enrollment, but the 'voice' never appears - just sits at the wi-fi screen. When I swipe right/left I do hear the screen reader telling me that the device is protected and to enter blackberry username & password - which of course won't work. I can't see that screen, but I can 'hear' it read out. So, I assume that after the factory reset, the device has maintained the protection and now I'm kinda screwed. Is there anyway (with key combination) to do the reset again? I have downloaded the blackberry software, but of course, it won't run on my later model Mac either
    10-03-23 07:30 PM
    Hoping someone can help me. I have a Blackberry Classic Q20 - and originally, I'd set it up with my BB ID and it has protection enabled. Could not remember my device password as I hadn't used it in ages, so - deliberately put wrong password ten times and it factory reset - or so I thought. When I went to set it up again, of course, it hangs at wi-fi. I went through the article on this site to skip the BB enrollment, but the 'voice' never appears - just sits at the wi-fi screen. When I swipe right/left I do hear the screen reader telling me that the device is protected and to enter blackberry username & password - which of course won't work. I can't see that screen, but I can 'hear' it read out. So, I assume that after the factory reset, the device has maintained the protection and now I'm kinda screwed. Is there anyway (with key combination) to do the reset again? I have downloaded the blackberry software, but of course, it won't run on my later model Mac either
    All you can do is try rebooting by holding down the power button and/or hitting it over and over with the autoloader. Sometimes BlackBerry Protect can be shaken loose.
    10-03-23 09:25 PM
    Press and hold down the Power button, Volume UP and Volume DOWN buttons all at the same time. When the device starts booting, you can release the buttons. Try the Screen Reader for BBID again.

Some devices need this (Power button, Vol - button, Vol + button) done a few times before the Screen Reader speaks about BBID. Some work after a single attempt. Others new a few attempts.

Good luck!
    kayuz6 likes this.
    10-04-23 12:25 PM
    Press and hold down the Power button, Volume UP and Volume DOWN buttons all at the same time. When the device starts booting, you can release the buttons. Try the Screen Reader for BBID again.

Some devices need this (Power button, Vol - button, Vol + button) done a few times before the Screen Reader speaks about BBID. Some work after a single attempt. Others new a few attempts.

Good luck!
    Just to reiterate, there is no such button combination as pwr+vol up+vol down.

You are simply doing two identical things at once (1 - holding down pwr, and 2 - holding down vol up+vol down).
    10-04-23 01:00 PM
    Just to reiterate, there is no such button combination as pwr+vol up+vol down.

You are simply doing two identical things at once (1 - holding down pwr, and 2 - holding down vol up+vol down).
    It works. That's why I recommend it.

What's your reason for criticizing it? Show me the proper solution to remove Protect.
    10-04-23 02:01 PM
    It works. That's why I recommend it.

What's your reason for criticizing it? Show me the proper solution to remove Protect.
    Either actual reboot method works exactly the same.

You're just doing both at the same time - where one will slightly beat the other to the punch.
    10-04-23 02:06 PM
    Either real method works exactly the same. By doing both methods at the same time you're just getting one method to beat the other method to trip the reboot.
    Does using just the Power button remove Protect? Do you have an example of this?

Does using Vol+ and Vol- buttons remove Protect? Do you have an example of this?
    10-04-23 02:11 PM
    Does using just the Power button remove Protect? Do you have an example of this?

Does using Vol+ and Vol- buttons remove Protect? Do you have an example of this?
    You're not doing anything extra by using both methods at the same time. That's what I'm saying. There is no physical mapping of those 3 buttons to any additional function.

And yes, plenty of folks have been successful by either rebooting (or using an autoloader) repeatedly.
    10-04-23 02:13 PM
    You're not doing anything extra by using both methods at the same time. That's what I'm saying. There is no physical mapping of those 3 buttons to any additional function.

And yes, plenty of folks have been successful by either rebooting (or using an autoloader) repeatedly.
    And plenty of folks get stuck, go to the forums and cannot get past this. Even with many autoloaders and many reboots.

I had a couple BB10 phones that took a couple days with Autoloaders and reboots and couldn't get them working. (I had about a dozen in total).

Z10 was literal battery pull. 4 battery pulls and I got past protect.

I had a Classic that I could not get working. Many autoloaders. Many reboots. Nothing. Power, Vol+ and Vol- and it started working. Passport had Protect. Power, Vol+, Vol- got it past Protect.

Reddit has people, weeks, even months of your method of "just keep trying". Eventually they tried the recommended Power, Vol+ and Vol-, now they are into their phones.

Evidence suggests it works.
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 10-04-23 at 04:03 PM.
    kayuz6 likes this.
    10-04-23 02:24 PM
    So, spent most of the day yesterday messing with this and have come to the conclusion that although the screen reader would come on nearly every time, it never read out the BB instructions. What it did do (but only a couple of times) was tell me it was anti-theft and to put my user/pass in. As the screen was in the background and I'm not great with BB, i was only guessing and stuffed it. I know my blackberry ID user/pass - and in fact, when I go to the BB website, it works fine - (although you can't do anything!!). So, did some more research and figured the only way into this was to reformat (guess that's not the correct term) the phone. Found a download that when you download, extract and run - then pull the battery from the BB , plug into PC and then put battery in, it will reload the software effectively removing my issue. Only thing is, was a tad violent removing back cover and trashed the battery strap ... no biggie as the battery looked like it was pregnant anyway - guess it was also going to need replacing - so that's where I'm up to. when new battery arrives, I'll try again.
    10-04-23 03:28 PM
29 12