As I mentioned earlier, I use ES Task Manager (downloaded from Amazon app store). One thing I've noticed that seem to pop up every so often in the Task Manager window is widgets. I know Android has active desktop widgets, but we don't... however these things don't like to die easily (and the Amazon music widget is pretty much impossible to kill).

Maybe it's just a "misinterpretation" of what is happening in the runtime, and these things aren't actually running... who knows.

Right now I'm running no Android apps other than the ES Task Manager, and:

Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-img_20140825_070822.png

Posted via CB10
    Norg likes this.
    08-25-14 06:13 AM
    What do you mean? You're not talking about the active frame home screen are you?.. because that doesn't *really* work, as evidenced by this thread's existence.

Posted via CB10
    No, I'm talking about actual Android, there's a screen that shows the last used apps, swiping on them closes then most of the time but in reality the Android guidelines basically tell you "leave the OS handle when to close stuff" so activities keep running in the background

Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-recent-apps.png

Posted via my Limited Edition Z10.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    08-25-14 08:11 AM
    No, I'm talking about actual Android, there's a screen that shows the last used apps, swiping on them closes then most of the time but in reality the Android guidelines basically tell you "leave the OS handle when to close stuff" so activities keep running in the background

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recent-apps.png 
Views:	769 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	293414

Posted via my Limited Edition Z10.
    Ah yeah, you're right. On my android tablet you swipe sideways to close those (that's why I got a bit confused with 'swiping up').

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 08:35 AM
    if only we could control Android permissions just like native apps permission..!!
    either you accept all the permissions or just cancel the installation, after installation also if you go to permissions they are not interactive and permanently selected, so you are left withe USE or DELETE.

this is another thing which gets in way while using android apps..!!
    So for native apps one can accept permissions conditionally (or individually)?
    08-25-14 08:51 AM
    So for native apps one can accept permissions conditionally (or individually)?
    Yes... even if that sometimes means the apps won't work perfectly (like when you can't attach images using the CB10 app because you denied it "shared files" permission).

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 08:57 AM
    Go to the section called applications. Open it. Then scroll down to settings. Hold it for a second and click open

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure I see the settings part where I can go kill android apps.

Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-img_20140825_115510.png

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    08-25-14 01:56 PM
    I'm not sure I see the settings part where I can go kill android apps.

Name:	IMG_20140825_115510.png 
Views:	549 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	293488

Tap and hold the app. It should pop up.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 02:14 PM
    Tap and hold the app. It should pop up.

Posted via CB10
    I feel like an *****, what am I missing?

I don't see it.
    Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-img_20140825_124548.png

08-25-14 02:46 PM
    Lol... tap on Manage.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 03:20 PM
    We've been through this when the z10 first came out and there are several threads on battery saving options... although having some android apps running will consume some it is not the only thing that does so....in the other threads a lot of us figured out what are the biggest battery hogs that we can live without, those being turning locations, screenwipe (to wake up phone), and diagnostics services off (diagnostics being the biggest culprit)...

After doing this i get about 10-11 hrs before plugging it in with 10% remaining. I don't need to pull my hair out trying to figure out which apps are running or not.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 03:45 PM
    Lol... tap on Manage.

Posted via CB10
    Duuh! Dang. Thanks. (side note, 1d1ot is blocked? )

Sorry that seems a little less fast and easy as compared to "task manager " which only shows the android apps that are open in the background and then to kill them you just tap it with your finger. I know there's a trade off but I like the task manager. See screenshot.

To each his own I suppose. Just trying to present what I do and help others out. Thanks for the help!

Attachment 293533
    08-25-14 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the tip ptt
    08-25-14 08:44 PM
    Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-img_20140826_052216.png

Using a PlayBook charger
    Moderate use.
    Few android apps
    Thats almost 11 hours.

Hehehe
    08-26-14 07:23 AM

Name:	IMG_20140826_052216.png 
Views:	800 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	293657

Using a PlayBook charger
    Moderate use.
    Few android apps
    Thats almost 11 hours.

Hehehe
    I never get that!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 07:42 AM
    Before bugging out about this, verify that the Android apps are really chewing up the battery. Check in Device Manager under CPU usage for the past 12 hours or so and see what you find. Don't assume that because an app is sitting in RAM it's doing much.

Kindle is an Android app that always loads itself back into RAM, even after you kill it, but if you don't actually use it, it's CPU (and thus battery) usage is trivial.

I used Greenify on my S4 because some apps couldn't be set to update manually and insisted on refreshing themselves frequently. They could use a lot of juice, but others just sat there, pre-loaded in RAM but otherwise dormant.

A good question is this : If RAM runs low, does BB10 kick Android apps out of RAM?

Posted from my Q10.
    austriker likes this.
    08-26-14 07:48 AM
    Before bugging out about this, verify that the Android apps are really chewing up the battery. Check in Device Manager under CPU usage for the past 12 hours or so and see what you find. Don't assume that because an app is sitting in RAM it's doing much.

Kindle is an Android app that always loads itself back into RAM, even after you kill it, but if you don't actually use it, it's CPU (and thus battery) usage is trivial.

I used Greenify on my S4 because some apps couldn't be set to update manually and insisted on refreshing themselves frequently. They could use a lot of juice, but others just sat there, pre-loaded in RAM but otherwise dormant.

A good question is this : If RAM runs low, does BB10 kick Android apps out of RAM?

Posted from my Q10.
    But some apps don't show up in CPU or Memory but show up in Task Manager which is concerning to me because I don't know what they are doing.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 08:15 AM
    Greenify only works for some android apps in BlackBerry 10.3 due to no root access.
    Greenify cant automate skype on hibernation because of that. Thats an example and fact.

Also shutting down apps in BlackBerry app manager doesn't seem to fully work. I don't know what's the cause of it. Because when shutting off an app, it turns off but after 10 seconds it comes back on but sits idle.

Main cause of battery drainage is the data use and poor signal. Processors ask for more energy from battery to seek signal. I've noticed this when I went to holidays in other countries with poor signal. Bad radio is another case of this. Switching bands automatically affects battery too.

Hehehe
    08-26-14 08:31 AM
    Greenify only works for some android apps in BlackBerry 10.3 due to no root access.
    Greenify cant automate skype on hibernation because of that. Thats an example and fact.

Also shutting down apps in BlackBerry app manager doesn't seem to fully work. I don't know what's the cause of it. Because when shutting off an app, it turns off but after 10 seconds it comes back on but sits idle.

Main cause of battery drainage is the data use and poor signal. Processors ask for more energy from battery to seek signal. I've noticed this when I went to holidays in other countries with poor signal. Bad radio is another case of this. Switching bands automatically affects battery too.

Hehehe
    What about EAS being a big drain?

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 08:56 AM
    What about EAS being a big drain?

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tested it yet to generate a solid proof because I do not use it. But I would say, yes.

(Topic twist )

Tweaks...
    I recommend turning off some of the features and utilities you don't really use inside settings. Open up every tab and read descriptions of everything.

You can always turn it on whenever you need it.

Screen/display brightness - since you have a light theme of 10.3 for non Amoled displays, I don't think you need too much brightness for it. Turn it down to about 10% of the line/bar. Watching a video clip and its too dark? - your quick setting and you fingers are there to help you.

Advanced interaction - turn off everything in here's. I don't think z10 have the sensors for this feature. Maybe because mine doesn't work... Maybe z30.

BlackBerry diagnostics, Traffic data collection, based Ads
    - turn this off, you dont need it. (they cant fix anything in your device if they found a bug using leaked os.) You definitely don't need these.

Access using wifi & device connection - ( if you had used this before or not, turn this off.) Unless you are transferring files to your computer or different devices vice-versa.) this could sync datas to your device once you have new files detected which ever side of the device is initiating it. It's gonna burn, Budd... it's gonna burn.

Some of these little cute tips are mentioned above and from other old threads.

Hehehe
    Last edited by systemvolker; 08-26-14 at 07:07 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    08-26-14 09:47 AM
    We've been through this when the z10 first came out and there are several threads on battery saving options... although having some android apps running will consume some it is not the only thing that does so....in the other threads a lot of us figured out what are the biggest battery hogs that we can live without, those being turning locations, screenwipe (to wake up phone), and diagnostics services off (diagnostics being the biggest culprit)...

After doing this i get about 10-11 hrs before plugging it in with 10% remaining. I don't need to pull my hair out trying to figure out which apps are running or not.

Posted via CB10
    Wow never knew about turning diagnostics off to save juice. Thanks for this!
    08-26-14 10:11 AM
    So i'm trying a couple tips that i read over here, but i have a question for the people who use ghost commander, when you are in the app manager, is there a way to see just the apps that are running? or should i install another task manager??
    08-26-14 10:43 AM
    Wow never knew about turning diagnostics off to save juice. Thanks for this!
    Yes; from what I've read, diagnostics is only useful if you have problems with your phone and blackberry support uses that to determine the problem. By leaving it on it uploads information about every 15min or so, thus giving your battery a nice hit in drainage.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 11:49 AM
    Facing bad battery life, try this!!!-img_20140831_051929.png

Hehehe
    08-31-14 07:23 AM
    I never knew these apps open themselves. Isn't that crappy programming? And native apps do this too?
    08-31-14 07:36 AM
    I never knew these apps open themselves. Isn't that crappy programming? And native apps do this too?
    Its android.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 02:42 PM
83 1234