Is Facebook lite an option? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 05:45 PM
    Without Hub integration is no point for use. Hub is everything, looks like a time to leave Blackberry
    03-16-16 06:59 PM
    Did the downgrade, it removed my Facebook account on the phone. It then went on to say that you can add the account again under 'Settings' in the phone itself - which I did. But then when I reopened the new Facebook app downgrade, I was told to delete my account yet again... Completely and utterly useless! So what I did was keep my Facebook account on the phone (for contacts and calendar entries), removed the new downgraded Facebook 'app' and just use a web shortcut. I'd advise everyone else to do the same if you want to keep your Facebook contacts and calendar entries on your phone. Also, following someone else's advice in this thread, I changed my Facebook settings to send me an email for every notification. That way we still get the notifications in the Hub.

First WhatsApp, now this. BB10 is, sadly, dead.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2876
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-16-16 07:00 PM
    Recently Blackberry's enterprise customer is complaining that their employees spend too much time in FB and WA, hurting productivity. So as a countermeasure Blackberry provide an update that will make FB less disturbing in the workplace. So enterprise customer thanks Blackberry for this. So called happy ending.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 07:13 PM
    They got the APIs from Facebook before so I'm pretty sure if they cared to make the effort they could have worked something out again. They simply don't. Nothing BlackBerry has done in the last 6-12 months makes me believe I should give them the benefit of the doubt on that.
    I switched off my BB10 device a while ago.

I was already debating it when I realized Blackberry wasn't going to get much support from 3rd party devs.

I decided it needed to be done when I realized the carriers were also going to give Blackberry the finger and this was huge since that means Blackberry can't push out updates to their own users. After waiting on 10.3 for like half a year or more I decided to drop BB10. I think Blackberry realized too that BB10 is dead unless they get rid of the carrier barrier and the app gap and they realize that that's hard to do hence them not really caring too much about BB10. I can't blame them considering the environment they're in. They can ask Facebook for the new APIs or the key but what are they going to do? Have staff update a Facebook app for an OS that's not gaining any new customers and is bleeding them? It makes no business sense. It'll only make sense if they found a way to wrest control from carriers and can update their Android runtime on the fly.

It's a massive shame. I still far prefer BB10 to Android, but I'll admit I love the apps I have access to. I said this once and I said this before, if BB10 had Android's app support, I'd be back there in a heartbeat AND actively telling friends how great it is. I can't recommend it to friends now because I know half the stuff they want to do they can't do on BB10.

(Cue all the people who will go off on about how unproductive my friends must be because they want to do non business stuff with their phones. To those people: many of the most productive people in the world now probably use iPhones or Android phones, just on basis of OS distribution).
    03-16-16 08:28 PM
    So no one uses the Facebook for Android via snap or apk? That's not a cool alternative? I never downloaded it since I use BB's FB app.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 08:31 PM
    I switched off my BB10 device a while ago.

I was already debating it when I realized Blackberry wasn't going to get much support from 3rd party devs.

I decided it needed to be done when I realized the carriers were also going to give Blackberry the finger and this was huge since that means Blackberry can't push out updates to their own users. After waiting on 10.3 for like half a year or more I decided to drop BB10. I think Blackberry realized too that BB10 is dead unless they get rid of the carrier barrier and the app gap and they realize that that's hard to do hence them not really caring too much about BB10. I can't blame them considering the environment they're in. They can ask Facebook for the new APIs or the key but what are they going to do? Have staff update a Facebook app for an OS that's not gaining any new customers and is bleeding them? It makes no business sense. It'll only make sense if they found a way to wrest control from carriers and can update their Android runtime on the fly.

It's a massive shame. I still far prefer BB10 to Android, but I'll admit I love the apps I have access to. I said this once and I said this before, if BB10 had Android's app support, I'd be back there in a heartbeat AND actively telling friends how great it is. I can't recommend it to friends now because I know half the stuff they want to do they can't do on BB10.

(Cue all the people who will go off on about how unproductive my friends must be because they want to do non business stuff with their phones. To those people: many of the most productive people in the world now probably use iPhones or Android phones, just on basis of OS distribution).
    Absolutely. People need to understand in 2016 the climate for mobile phones has changed. I'm a working musician. I'm the only person I know still on BlackBerry. I NEED Facebook. It's an integral part of my business. I have to have access to social media but also reliable email support and multi-tasking. Why should I have to go through hoops to get that? My contacts are huge to what I do. 4/1 all that will be undone. I shouldn't have to suffer through that, and claim that BlackBerry is "the phone for business"? BlackBerry has always been my smartphone, and I've defended them, but at this point, I'm ditching the Q10 and going to Priv. It'll be a smoother transition into droid and I get my keyboard. I can stay with them a bit longer but with whatspp, fb, Skype, and the barren wasteland that is BBM? BB10 is dead for those in the 21st century. I gotta do what I gotta do.

Posted via CB10
    early2bed and JeepBB like this.
    03-16-16 09:09 PM
    So no one uses the Facebook for Android via snap or apk? That's not a cool alternative? I never downloaded it since I use BB's FB app.

Posted via CB10
    You have to go way, way back for versions that work. As such, the website is currently more feature-rich.
    03-16-16 09:16 PM
    I do definitely appreciate face 10, now.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 09:54 PM
    But you can�t see who is online or not.

I�ve downgraded FB app and wait until no longer works.
    03-16-16 10:02 PM
    What a joke! Sad day to be a Blackberry fan! Again!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:17 PM
    facebook is a joke. People showing that they can pay a holiday or restaurant, showing there food and kids and how clean there house or car is and more crazy stuff and sharing all info so that they can earn billions about you. You are the product.

All what facebook is doing making a profile from more than 700 significant points and not only what you are saying but also (more intresting) what other people also saying about you. Whatsapp is a helping hand in this ,also facebook messenger. Best part is that they give you a rate for a lot stuff like your finance, health or sociale behaviour and more thanks to all your friends too.

My advice drop it and kids don't use it before you know after 10 years you get stamped with a profile that is not you.

p.s. you all know. all what you send or sharing is stored on there server and it's there's to copyright your property like foto's for example they care about your privacy, because they make billions on your privacy.

Mark Zuckerberg has allready more money that Steve Jobs had, so now you know privacy pays off
    Totally agreed well said sir

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:47 PM
    You have to go way, way back for versions that work. As such, the website is currently more feature-rich.
    Has it been determined that android FB web wrapper apps like Metal are also non-functional?
    03-16-16 10:59 PM
    Or maybe Facebook has not made the APIs available to BBRY?
    According to the BlackBerry knowledge base, This is exactly the case.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-16-16 11:24 PM
    I don't understand the concerns.

I keep reading here on CB that the browser is better than apps, and that nobody needs apps. I've more than once read here that the need for Apps is just the result of Apple brainwashing. Seems Facebook took those posts to heart and gave you everything you wanted - a browser link.

Or have I misunderstood the importance of Apps?

Tools not Toys.
    Ouch Jeep! Way to go for the jugular! :-)

I will admit I am still one of those folks that has no problem using a well built web app over a native on-device app in most cases, but not all cases. In the past I've highlighted informational websites like newspapers and the travel industry where a good web app will do just fine. Do I really need a trip advisor or trivago app? Or an app for the NY Times? However in the case of social media, banking, and games native apps are a must mostly due to the push notifications. Everyone wants to know when they receive a like, comment, or message. And funny enough those apps are the ones that have been the big deal breakers for BB10 and even Windows phone.

In the case of FB, the actual web app in-site functionality is quite good. The big missing pieces are the push notifications, hub, contacts, and calendar integration. The real shame in all of this is not that the native app has been shut down, but the fact that in the year of 2016 it is still not technically possible from a development/OS perspective (thinking all OS's) to implement this functionality via a web app. It's as if all of these Androids and iPhones are like Windows 3.1 PC's and we are stuck with having to use a thick client for everything.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-16-16 11:30 PM
    No. it lost all Hub integration of FB. even a Messenger.....
    03-17-16 12:19 AM
    Ouch Jeep! Way to go for the jugular! :-)

I will admit I am still one of those folks that has no problem using a well built web app over a native on-device app in most cases, but not all cases. In the past I've highlighted informational websites like newspapers and the travel industry where a good web app will do just fine. Do I really need a trip advisor or trivago app? Or an app for the NY Times? However in the case of social media, banking, and games native apps are a must mostly due to the push notifications. Everyone wants to know when they receive a like, comment, or message. And funny enough those apps are the ones that have been the big deal breakers for BB10 and even Windows phone.

In the case of FB, the actual web app in-site functionality is quite good. The big missing pieces are the push notifications, hub, contacts, and calendar integration. The real shame in all of this is not that the native app has been shut down, but the fact that in the year of 2016 it is still not technically possible from a development/OS perspective (thinking all OS's) to implement this functionality via a web app. It's as if all of these Androids and iPhones are like Windows 3.1 PC's and we are stuck with having to use a thick client for everything.
    Dude... you are so wrong. On android, when you log on to Facebook using Chrome it asks you if you want to receive facebook push notifications from the website and I'm not talking about email. And they appear in the hub. It's BlackBerry 10 browser that's way behind time.

For contacts the Facebook Messenger contacts appear in your contacts.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-17-16 01:34 AM
    Sad...

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 02:13 AM
    I have mentioned it is not battery friendly as native one.

Maybe Face10 is not battery frendly if you check all notofication in short intreval but bigger problem is data consumption, I opened Face10 two times, scroll down (maybe 10-20 posts, some of those were video that is automatically started without my control), I lost about 100MB ! It isn't normal.
    03-17-16 03:37 AM
    Let's see, when they will disable the adnroid Runtime on out bb10 devices, for pushing us into the Priv.

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    03-17-16 04:18 AM
    Everything seems wrong!

Inlove with BlackBerry <3
    03-17-16 04:32 AM
    Yeah I just updated without realizing the loss of Hub integration. Now the app is just a glorified shortcut to the web? Guess it's time to switch to Face10?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:37 AM
    Exact mondo! This is something people are forgetting... BlackBerry cannot use facebooks private api's. A company like BlackBerry cannot use those API by means of a hack, especially when "security" is BlackBerries sales pitch.

There is literally nothing BlackBerry can do about this barring offering Facebook,s CEO, Mark Zukerberg, stacks of cash that BlackBerry haven't got.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Dude, what do you think BlackBerry had been doing for the last 10 years ? They haven't magically accessed Facebook 's API!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:45 AM
    Let's see, when they will disable the adnroid Runtime on out bb10 devices, for pushing us into the Priv.

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    Will you switch to Priv :O? Where the future of Blackdroid is same as bb10 now

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 06:10 AM
    Will you switch to Priv :O? Where the future of Blackdroid is same as bb10 now

Posted via CB10
    why would you overpay for android, even with physical keyboard, when you can get similar specs device, like 3-4 times cheaper?!

you can get those blackberry apps working on other device without root. so what's the point to buy Samsung, LG or Blackberry, when much cheaper Chinese brands will do the trick? it will be same Android after all
    idhbar and Barbareren like this.
    03-17-16 06:47 AM
616 ... 1011121314 ...