I have been using BB10 since day one. I've bought many BB10 devices, and encouraged others to do the same. I love how BB10 works.

But this is the last straw. The loss of hub integration and FB contact sync is too much. Those are must have features for me.

What's next to stop working, blend?

It is now time to start searching for another platform.

How functional is the hub on the priv?
    koolieh likes this.
    03-16-16 08:55 AM
    I don't understand the concerns.

I keep reading here on CB that the browser is better than apps, and that nobody needs apps. I've more than once read here that the need for Apps is just the result of Apple brainwashing. Seems Facebook took those posts to heart and gave you everything you wanted - a browser link.

Or have I misunderstood the importance of Apps?

Tools not Toys.
    You forgot to mention that even the Internet browser APPLICATION provided by BlackBerry is rapidly becoming less usable by the day

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    03-16-16 08:57 AM
    I'm also looking for a way to do this.

Post 190 maybe?
    03-16-16 08:57 AM
    The lack of hub integration. The hub is BB10's most definitive feature. A social app without hub integration on BB10 is bad news.
    Barbareren likes this.
    03-16-16 09:05 AM
    Hub integration is the best part of BB10.
    03-16-16 09:21 AM
    I speculate (a couple of posts above) that the reason for the 24MB is the part that uninstalls the native FB app and account from BB10. I admit that's a stretch.
    First off, for those uninitiated, Facebook didn't write the BB Facebook app, BlackBerry did. Always have since the first time Facebook appeared on any BlackBerry device. This differs from iOS and Android, where Facebook writes their own apps.
    Facebook isn't the only app like this, btw. The Twitter, and LinkedIn apps on BlackBerry aren't written by their respective companies.

Unfortunately, the Facebook team at BlackBerry no longer exists (the whole social networking team, actually). A few of the individuals may still be around in other groups of company, but most of them have been let go. And as a team with a mandate for maintaining the app, well that hasn't existed for quite a while.

So ...why the update and why now? Speculation time...
    Updating the Facebook app just wasn't a priority (timeline has been busted for ages). But someone must have noticed that the Facebook APIs were being deprecated which would have resulted in the app just not working any more. There's a big difference in optics around an app not being updated periodically and one that just stops working ...especially if you're publicly stating that you're still supporting a platform.

So ... what can you do? You need an app presence on your platform but you don't have a team to work on it any more. The simplest approach is to just wrap the browser. It still provides a Facebook "solution" without requiring development effort in the future. Quick and simple. Your user base will probably be upset, but really, unless you're willing to invest in supporting the app going forward (which, at this time, BlackBerry is not) it's your only option.

So to the quoted text and original question (finally)...

So why's the app so huge for something that just launches a browser? Ubizmo may be right, but that seems inordinately large for a simple uninstaller. My suspicion is that they put a developer on it that wasn't familiar with the workings of the existing app (or was given limited time implement a solution ...or both). I suspect the scenario went something like this:
    "Write an update for the app that when launched cleans up all its stuff (pull the hub integration, no more notifications, etc. because that won't work properly with just a web app) and then just redirect to the browser. You've got a week." I suspect that the app is 24mb because the majority of the old app is still there as dead code, just never called.
    Quick and dirty development. In, out, done ...now back onto the project you were working on before.
    03-16-16 09:25 AM
    I think this is a very good showing of how much BlackBerry plans on "supporting" BB10 in the future. I suspect 10.3.3 will happen since it's already far in development but without new features and any updates after that (if they even happen) will be security patches only if needed.

The fact that they even thought this was an acceptable solution blows my mind. Yeah the browser is good at displaying the mobile site but not having push notifications is a huge downgrade.

I plan on not installing this update and seeing what happens after the end of this month. I'm hoping either they're blowing smoke and it continues to work or the app continues to function enough for the contacts/events syncing on existing devices. Face10/Messenger handle the rest of my needs at this point including Hub Integration.
    Where did BBRY say the updated "app" is an acceptable solution? It is simply a case of it is what it is. No API basically means no functionality for their native app. What else did you expect them to do?
    03-16-16 09:26 AM
    It might have been posted here already. But I tried to delete the FB app and remove it from my phone. but it's still there in the hub (in the separate listing for all accounts). anyone know how to remove it from the hub after deleting the app? It doesn't show up in my accunts anymore.... It's just... stuck there as a reminder of how ****ty BB is becoming
    03-16-16 09:34 AM
    I did the update today, and now my FB contacts aren't linked to their respective saved phone numbers in my contacts.
    03-16-16 09:36 AM
    I totally agree!!!! FRUSTRATING!!!
    03-16-16 09:50 AM
    lol.
    so why would you install this **** when you can just navigate your bb browser to facebook and save it on the desktop?
    it's exactly the same?!
    Barbareren likes this.
    03-16-16 10:00 AM
    I don't understand the concerns.

I keep reading here on CB that the browser is better than apps, and that nobody needs apps. I've more than once read here that the need for Apps is just the result of Apple brainwashing. Seems Facebook took those posts to heart and gave you everything you wanted - a browser link.

Or have I misunderstood the importance of Apps?

Tools not Toys.
    It's the fact, no app, no contacts /calendar integration.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876 patched 2813 ART)
    03-16-16 10:00 AM
    What's next BlackBerry? Take away the browser?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:07 AM
    What's next BlackBerry? Take away the browser?

Posted via CB10
    They will shut down the voice recognition service for the BlackBerry assistant.

03-16-16 10:09 AM
    The problem with Face10 and Android Facebook apk is huge battery drain compare to old native Facebook. Overall device performance is going to degrade. BlackBerry should stop selling their os10 based devices. It is going to out of track of smartphone market.

03-16-16 10:10 AM
    They will shut down the voice recognition service for the BlackBerry assistant.

Do think they are licensing that... if so I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry doesn't renew.
    03-16-16 10:12 AM
    It might have been posted here already. But I tried to delete the FB app and remove it from my phone. but it's still there in the hub (in the separate listing for all accounts). anyone know how to remove it from the hub after deleting the app? It doesn't show up in my accunts anymore.... It's just... stuck there as a reminder of how ****ty BB is becoming
    Did you try Accounts Cleaner? http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59956050

Via Pasta CB10
    03-16-16 10:17 AM
    A couple of questions here since I was a moron and did an update without reading here first and backing up my Q10.

1. Is the replacement 'app' just a link to launch the BB10 browser at the FB site or is there something more to it?
    2. Is there any way to save the FB contacts in the BB10 contact link and still allow the update to go through?
    3. What do you think of an alternative of just hiding the old FB app icon and accessing FB through a browser bookmark. Since there won't be any integration anyway, it's not like there is lost functionality AND at least you wouldn't lose your FB contacts.

This is something of a nightmare...

Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Edit: I did the update, but did not "log out" of the FB app, which is the action that apparently deletes your FB contacts from your contact list.
    Last edited by AlpineBV_Miller; 03-16-16 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Adding info...
    damien kupuku likes this.
    03-16-16 10:19 AM
    I've been using a bookmark for while now, I also disabled notifications and just used the fb app for messaging and contacts/calendar. That all will end 3/31. It's also only a matter of time before Face10 gets shut down, and as it is now, Nemorys messaging app is just a Web portal as well. As far as I know, there is only one option for contact merging to save fb contacts, and that is for mac. Not a very bright future. You can still access the Web version of fb through the browser so after 3/31 the app or a bookmark won't matter. I say go bookmark, no need to have a 25mb Web portal.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:26 AM
    when opening whatsapp app(native) i see facebook contacts synchonized ,it may helps
    03-16-16 10:28 AM
    Installed the update last night, HAD A LAUGH and then reinstalled the previous version of Facebook. Patiently waiting till 31st of March.

I really don't care about the FB APP in general, what matters most is contact sync!!!

Can you please let me know how you did this?

Thanks!
    03-16-16 10:30 AM
    When WA announced they are removing their services at the end of this year, BlackBerry said they are trying to provide an alternative. Now with ending of native Facebook support indicates that BlackBerry has failed to convince them. If someone thinking to switch Priv, I think, wrong decision. BlackBerry is no more trustable band.

Gerii and Barbareren like this.
    03-16-16 10:33 AM
    Now whats the difference using fb app and fb through browser??

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    None

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:36 AM
    a work around, to keep your contact sync, do not install the new facebook app from BW, just login through Hub facebook account the contacts will sync, after make a shortcut facebook from web browser
    03-16-16 10:44 AM
    Did you try Accounts Cleaner? http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59956050

Via Pasta CB10
    I downloaded the app and the FB account doesn't show up on it! Any other ideas? maybe I'll just do a phone wipe or something. Any other ideas?

Wow. This is so frustrating. I'm going to go buy an Android phone next week.... I'm sick of this continual degradation in features and performance. If the OS was on maintenance mode then at least things wouldn't get worse. But I every day that passes, I feel it in a downward sprial. Probably not the first nor the last to say it, but: After 8 years and about a dozen blackberries, I'm done.
    03-16-16 10:46 AM
616 ... 7891011 ...