BlackBerry Hub integration: Messages/Chat, posts, friend requests, games, invites and other notifications will no longer show as entries in BlackBerry Hub. BlackBerry 10 smartphones will no longer have the ability to share items like pictures and videos directly to Facebook using the Share icon.
    Mind-blowingly DUMB.

Can't share pics anymore either?

What the hell. And I'm not even THAT big a FB guy. I like sharing the odd pic every few days though.

No idea what they're thinking over there.
    03-15-16 08:03 PM
    Mind-blowingly DUMB.

Can't share pics anymore either?

What the hell. And I'm not even THAT big a FB guy. I like sharing the odd pic every few days though.

No idea what they're thinking over there.
    It's not BlackBerry's fault, it's Facebook and their love fest with iOS and Android.
    03-15-16 08:05 PM
    It's not BlackBerry's fault, it's Facebook and their love fest with iOS and Android.
    More like Facebook and their love fest with locking their platform down.
    03-15-16 08:10 PM
    More like Facebook and their love fest with locking their platform down.
    As a result of their love fest with iOS and Android.

Why else cut off the API for BlackBerry?
    03-15-16 08:12 PM

I don't think they care about iOS and Android either way - they develop the client for those platforms because that's where the users are. If BB10 had more users I'm sure they'd develop a client for it.

They want to control the experience, so they're locking down how the platform can be accessed.

If Microsoft hadn't merged Windows desktop and mobile into Windows 10, I wonder if Facebook would've dropped the Windows Phone client, too...
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-15-16 08:19 PM
    you mean their love for their hundreds of millions of users who like to keep up with their friends and families while using their Android and iOS devices?

They've cut off all 3rd party developers from most APIs. This isn't specific to BB,
    PygmySurfer and JeepBB like this.
    03-15-16 08:20 PM
    I'm not a developer so I don't really understand APIs, but the data structure is all the same regardless of the client accessing it, no?

Why not just one universal API for all clients? That way they don't have to support multiple clients. The commands to post and retrieve content should be the same across all platforms.
    dgmock likes this.
    03-15-16 08:22 PM
    I'm not a developer so I don't really understand APIs, but the data structure is all the same regardless of the client accessing it, no?

Why not just one universal API for all clients? That way they don't have to support multiple clients. The commands to post and retrieve content should be the same across all platforms.
    I'm sure they do have on set of APIs for all clients. They don't share most of those APIs with any 3rd parties. Most are private, meaning they are maintained by FB for their own developers' to use, not for other people.
    03-15-16 08:25 PM
    I'm sure they do have on set of APIs for all clients. They don't share most of those APIs with any 3rd parties. Most are private, meaning they are maintained by FB for their own developers' to use, not for other people.
    Then if Zuckerberg himself doesn't want to develop a BB10 app, cut a deal with BlackBerry for them to develop it themselves. They're a trustworthy partner.
    03-15-16 08:26 PM
    Then if Zuckerberg himself doesn't want to develop a BB10 app, cut a deal with BlackBerry for them to develop it themselves. They're a trustworthy partner.
    They did do that initially when BB10 was introduced and neither company knew how well (or poorly) BB10 would do.

But why continue that now? FB doesn't care about a small number of BB10 users. And BlackBerry doesn't care about BB10 anymore. They want people to buy their Priv and their other new Android phones that presumably are coming out this year.

It's in neither company's interest to continue a special arrangement just for BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-16 08:31 PM
    They want people to buy their Priv and their other new Android phones that presumably are coming out this year.
    Right. If BlackBerry wants people to switch away from BB10, there are FAR better options than Android. Like a feature flip phone. That's what I'll be using.
    03-15-16 08:37 PM
    Wtf wtf wtf BlackBerry????!!!!!

Posted via CB on Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-15-16 08:40 PM
    Right. If BlackBerry wants people to switch away from BB10, there are FAR better options than Android. Like a feature flip phone. That's what I'll be using.
    Definitely getting a flip phone

Posted via CB on Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2876
    03-15-16 08:41 PM
    Oh, okay.

Anger diverted to Facebook then. Thx
    03-15-16 08:42 PM
    I believe there was a change coming in the FaceBook API's that would require BlackBerry to make a significant update to the BB10 app, however, BlackBerry isn't willing to invest much more in third party BB10 apps. The final decision must have come pretty late given how soon the working version poops out.
    kertong likes this.
    03-15-16 08:50 PM
    Yeah, go retro... Laptop/flip phone combo.

*A3-A20
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-16 08:58 PM
    I already use face10 for the hub notifications since the original app doesn't display all notifications properly. The only reason I have fb app still installed is the contacts integration. Can sum1 whose already upgraded say if that still works.

Posted via  Z❿
    No more contacts nor calendar.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 09:13 PM
    I am amazed at how Chen has successfully converted die-hard BlackBerry loyalists into angry, disaffected consumers looking for a viable BlackBerry replacement. I am just done with the way BlackBerry treats its customers with these abrupt changes and terse, shallow announcements that fuel more questions than they answer. I am typically not this crass, but I will NEVER buy a "Priv by BlackBerry," or any other BlackBerry product or service, once my Z30 is no longer functional. In fact, at this point, I would not even buy BlackBerry toilet paper to wipe my **** on!

Timothius
    03-15-16 09:22 PM
    There's other third party apps that work on android or even on bb10 what makes them so different that BlackBerry couldn't of done something the same? Nothing. That's what. They are just pulling the plug on bb10 and don't care about us poor saps that drank the Kool aid and bought a bb10 phone

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 09:22 PM
    There's other third party apps that work on android or even on bb10 what makes them so different that BlackBerry couldn't of done something the same? Nothing. That's what. They are just pulling the plug on bb10 and don't care about us poor saps that drank the Kool aid and bought a bb10 phone
    Not true. It looks like Facebook is pulling the plug here. The third party apps aren't officially supported or endorsed by Facebook
    03-15-16 09:25 PM
    Yeah, go retro... Laptop/flip phone combo.
    Nothing wrong with using a laptop. I do have an 8" Dell Windows tablet, but a full PC or Laptop is the only true workhorse.

I'll probably briefly consider Windows 10 Phone, but it sadly presents with many of the same afflictions that make iDroid unusable and has a worse app ecosystem than BlackBerry.
    03-15-16 09:27 PM
    A company like BlackBerry is not going to violate another company's T&C's. Some little independent third party developers don't care about what's legal or ethical.
    JeepBB and frodebh like this.
    03-15-16 09:31 PM
    24MB for a simple browser shortcut!? Weird...

BlackBerry OS10 � It ain't over until it's over! White Passport...
    I was wondering the same thing. Why such a big file if it's just a shortcut? Perhaps it has features that are yet to be implemented.
    03-15-16 09:32 PM
    Set up Facebook to email all notifications. Then you will at least see them in the HUB, and be able to open Facebook from there.
    The_Passporter and Xeak like this.
    03-15-16 10:04 PM
    It is just sad to see BB10 going down this way. If even core apps like Facebook and WhatsApp (as examples...) are dying we can only imagine what the future holds in the next year or so. Quite harder and harder to fully support a platform that is firing on its own users every day.....killing us....

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 10:16 PM
616 ... 45678 ...