I've been through the (limited) settings to check this isn't just something I can change, but unless I have missed something the Facebook chat integration in the hub isn't particularly slick or reliable.

While I am not generally a Dan of DB chat, there are a couple of people who I do chat to there because they are in a foreign country and it is one of the few systems they actually have access to...

Until I got my z10 I had been chatting away on my Galaxy Note 2, which worked fine... as soon as they sent a message or replied to a current chat, my note 2 updates and if necessary alerts.

The BlackBerry doesn't seem to do this. I know there is a reply because my note 2 has the message, my windows 'people' hub in 8 knows but the BlackBerry appears totally unaware. Sometimes it takes several minutes to show a new message, and sometimes it doesn't ever.

I'm assuming it has to be a BlackBerry issue since all my other devices are picking it up. I'd love to use the BlackBerry but at the moment it's another feature that's more frustrating than practical.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted using a Z10 on 3
    03-19-13 03:49 AM
    This isn't a BlackBerry 10 issue, it's a Facebook app issue specifically. You can use BBM or whatsapp or Gtalk in the hub, and they refresh instantaneously. BlackBerry needs to improve their Facebook app, though to be honest, I'm betting that they hoped Facebook would release its chat client on BB10 by now, kind of like how they released it on older blackberries.
    03-19-13 06:17 AM
    To me it is a blackberry issue as its a blackberry z10, a BlackBerry Hub, and as far as I can see the Facebook app is created by BlackBerry too.

I guess it depends on your pov...

Posted using a Z10 on 3
    03-19-13 03:17 PM
    Have the same problem as the op. Furthermore when trying to reply to a message I had problems sending them. It just wouldn�t send. I don�t know why. Then I clicked on another FB chat in the Hub and I still got the previous chat displayed. Couldn�t do anything.
    FB app is often really slow and won�t load news feed or other lists or notifications or messages.....
    Last edited by Smartie020; 03-19-13 at 03:41 PM.
    03-19-13 03:26 PM
    FB app works much faster on wifi
    03-19-13 04:48 PM
    I find it inconsistent. I've got a couple of people that I chat with straight from the hub but another that I get their message in the hub, but can't reply to it. In the case of the one, I just use the fb app and it works just fine but it would be nice to not have to go there.
    03-19-13 05:28 PM
    FB app works much faster on wifi
    That's nice but I don't use Wifi. Never turned it on. Nor have I on Galaxy Note 2, and Facebook updates in real time with that just fine.

The app is broken as far as I am concerned if real time chat doesn't work.

Posted using a Z10 on 3
    03-21-13 04:02 AM
    The issue as mentioned by Invaliduser is with the app, not BB10 or the Z10 hardware.

the social apps (FB, Twitter, Dropbox and box) released with the Z10 were designed in house by Blackberry to have them available at launch and are way behind in terms of functionality compared to the native apps on BBOS and other platforms
    03-21-13 04:55 AM
    the social apps (FB, Twitter, Dropbox and box) released with the Z10 were designed in house by Blackberry
    This isn't entirely true. While Facebook, Box, and Dropbox are made by BB, the Twitter app is actually made by Twitter. So is the LinkedIn app.

I do agree that the Facebook app, especially, is far behind where it needs to be. Maybe if Facebook took the initiative to support BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone 8, we wouldn't have this disparity, but they took the lazy way out and forced BlackBerry and Microsoft to make their own apps. While I have no doubt that BlackBerry is planning on increasing the app's functionality very soon (hence the lack of intermediate updates), it is frustrating that those features aren't here already since BlackBerry was forced to start from scratch because Facebook wouldn't own up to their role.
    03-21-13 06:16 AM
    What I'm hoping and most people are guessing is that with the launch of the US market just around the corner that the OS is going to get a major revamp.

The hope/rumor is that 10.1 Will be out in sync with the launch of OS to US soil. We could all be wrong on this but if BBRY wants to capture that market, and we all know they need to, then they have too have a 100% OS there and OS10 right now is about an 80% one.

Some people will see that yes the OS is brand new and not all apps, in this the FB app, still needs work. But the majority of people in the US market want it perfect and want it perfect now. IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 06:26 AM
    To anyone who can't send messages from specific people from the hub make sure that they were added to your contacts. I had someone that I couldn't send to, they were a friend on Facebook but didn't sync as a contact on my phone.
    I did find a solution however.
    I ended up removing the facebook connection, removing them as a friend on Facebook, re-adding them as a friend and then reconnecting Facebook to my phone to get it to work.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 10:02 AM
    I noticed there is no CHAT function on my Facebook for Blackberry 10 or I just can't figure out.
    03-22-13 04:44 PM
    I noticed there is no CHAT function on my Facebook for Blackberry 10 or I just can't figure out.
    Aren't messages and chat the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 06:49 PM
    Agreed that messages / chat are inconsistent. I do think it's more of BlackBerry issue. However; I was getting inconsistent notifications in both the Facebook and messenger apps on Android too.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 07:21 PM
    Messages and chat are the same thing unless one of the people is not signed on. That is when one may come through as a message (at least in short that's what is usually/basically is I think)

I HOPE FACEBOOK FOR THE Z10 is as close as i can be to the 9810's version of facebook. That versions ROCKS!!!!! I am enjoying facebook on my z10 because of the screen sharpness, the smooth flow but I do miss the functionality and personalization that it offered on my 9810.

Lastly, about CHAT- I always used Beejive to use Facebook chat- for EVERY messenger service actually. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of Beejive coming for BB10. Seems like folks like imesage these days
    03-23-13 12:32 PM