Hello,

I have searched a bit for the answer to this and I haven't been able to find an answer to this exact question.

I have a Passport SE with Hub10 on it. Some of you may recall this software, released only through the Beta Zone, which enables a dark-themed Hub.

I am deciding to finally switch from my Passport (back) to my Z30 as my daily driver. Because the Z30 has an OLED screen, having a pure black background not only saves energy, but also makes bedtime reading/replying to Hub items a lot less strainful.

Problem is, Hub10 has *long* since been removed from the Beta Zone. The developer has not responded to my messages on here, on Twitter, or on either of his Gmail accounts. I've offered to pay him for the file and everything.

Which leads me to my question to you. Is there any way I can move this application from one phone to another without him sending me the .bar? And if it involves using a desktop, can this be done on a Mac? (I don't have access to any PCs).

Thanks much!

Posted via CB10

Edit: OLED, not OLD
    Last edited by thejackson5; 01-22-18 at 11:19 PM.
    01-22-18 02:45 AM
    You can by doing a backup from your Z30 with Link, and then restore it to your Passport with Link.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 02:52 AM
    If you change the .Bar to Zip extension, you can see the inside bar files

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 02:38 PM
    If you change the .Bar to Zip extension, you can see the inside bar files

Posted via CB10
    You mean after using Link?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 08:30 PM
    No, just replace the .bar with .zip and you can peek what's inside using your file manager o Finder, there's no other intention.
    01-22-18 09:12 PM
    No, just replace the .bar with .zip and you can peek what's inside using your file manager o Finder, there's no other intention.
    I'm confused. I don't have the .bar files. I want to get the .bar files of the apps I have installed on my phone. How are you suggesting I do that?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 09:46 PM
    I'm confused. I don't have the .bar files. I want to get the .bar files of the apps I have installed on my phone. How are you suggesting I do that?

Posted via CB10
    You have installed? Do you happen to have a backup from the days you had the App installed? If Yes, then go back and pick that file. If No, my bad, I can't help you any further when the app been removed from BBW. I hope other members can help you further.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 11:00 PM
    You have installed? Do you happen to have a backup from the days you had the App installed? If Yes, then go back and pick that file. If No, my bad, I can't help you any further when the app been removed from BBW. I hope other members can help you further.

Posted via CB10
    I have Hub10 currently installed on my Passport SE. I want to extract Hub10 from my Passport SE, and put it on my Z30, which currently does not have Hub10 installed.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 11:23 PM
    I have Hub10 currently installed on my Passport SE. I want to extract Hub10 from my Passport SE, and put it on my Z30, which currently does not have Hub10 installed.

Posted via CB10
    Are you going to use the same BBID on both devices?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 11:27 PM
    You can't extract apps from BB10, a Link backup would just give you an encrypted OS backup IIRC.
    01-23-18 12:09 AM
    You can't extract apps from BB10, a Link backup would just give you an encrypted OS backup IIRC.
    That's right. You cannot extract a native BB10 app from a BB10 phone. You would need the original bar file from the developer.

Link can make backups of your apps, and can be selectively restored, but the BBID needs to match on the device being restored to. The backups are encrypted, and looking for it on the hard drive will only yield gibberish if you try to read the .bbb file, even with a zip extractor.
    01-23-18 12:21 AM
    That's right. You cannot extract a native BB10 app from a BB10 phone. You would need the original bar file from the developer.

Link can make backups of your apps, and can be selectively restored, but the BBID needs to match on the device being restored to. The backups are encrypted, and looking for it on the hard drive will only yield gibberish if you try to read the .bbb file, even with a zip extractor.
    The BBID is the same on both devices.

Can you restore from ANY BB10 device to ANY other BB10 device? What about different models of the same device (e.g. Z30 STA100-1 to Z30 STA100-5)?

What happens if the apps aren't compatible with your new device? For example, on my old Q10 I have the game Edge Extended Gold installed. This game was only ever released on the App World for the Q10. Would BlackBerry Link allow me to move this app to the Z30, a device that it was never released onto and with an aspect ratio it might not then support?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-18 02:01 AM
    The BBID is the same on both devices.

Can you restore from ANY BB10 device to ANY other BB10 device? What about different models of the same device (e.g. Z30 STA100-1 to Z30 STA100-5)?

What happens if the apps aren't compatible with your new device? For example, on my old Q10 I have the game Edge Extended Gold installed. This game was only ever released on the App World for the Q10. Would BlackBerry Link allow me to move this app to the Z30, a device that it was never released onto and with an aspect ratio it might not then support?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I honestly don't know about that. Someone else would have to chime in. Most apps were made to accommodate either ratio. The Z10 was the oddball having a ratio that was not quite 16x9.
    01-23-18 02:20 AM