So, maybe I'm an excessive punctuator... but I wish there were a solution to this.

When 'free-typing' this isn't really an issue but when you use the word prediction at the end of a sentence, it does make for a bit of a nuisance. Whenever you use a comma or period, the preceding space is automatically deleted. My question is, why does it not behave the same way with a question mark or exclamation point? When the last word is 'flicked' into place there is a space automatically added after the word which you then have to manually delete if you are typing a question or ending with a "! "

WHY?!
    11-01-17 06:34 PM
    So, maybe I'm an excessive punctuator... but I wish there were a solution to this.

When 'free-typing' this isn't really an issue but when you use the word prediction at the end of a sentence, it does make for a bit of a nuisance. Whenever you use a comma or period, the preceding space is automatically deleted. My question is, why does it not behave the same way with a question mark or exclamation point? When the last word is 'flicked' into place there is a space automatically added after the word which you then have to manually delete if you are typing a question or ending with a "! "

WHY?!
    Mine closes that space when I add either a question mark or exclamation point.
    11-01-17 07:54 PM
    Mine closes that space when I add either a question mark or exclamation point.
    Really? Then what can I be doing wrong ?
    11-01-17 08:39 PM
    Update: so I figured it out. And, when I did, I actually had a flash that I may have come across this issue before but I've been using the Classic for a while before now so I hadn't faced it.

Basically, the French are apparently weird when it comes to their punctuation. I have Canadian French as the second language on my device (great with the word suggestions as I'm not all that great with it on my own) and that's what is making the extra space appear there.

Turned off "language detection" and now the behavior happens when I have the keyboard set for French but not in English. When I have the detection turned on, for whatever reason it seems that the funky French punctuation rules override the default.

Anyway, all good. And sorry if I've started another thread about this once upon another time. Bad memory.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-01-17 08:51 PM
    Update: so I figured it out. And, when I did, I actually had a flash that I may have come across this issue before but I've been using the Classic for a while before now so I hadn't faced it.

Basically, the French are apparently weird when it comes to their punctuation. I have Canadian French as the second language on my device (great with the word suggestions as I'm not all that great with it on my own) and that's what is making the extra space appear there.

Turned off "language detection" and now the behavior happens when I have the keyboard set for French but not in English. When I have the detection turned on, for whatever reason it seems that the funky French punctuation rules override the default.

Anyway, all good. And sorry if I've started another thread about this once upon another time. Bad memory.
    So the French put in an extra space or is it some bug when two languages (more?) are setup?
    11-02-17 01:58 AM
    So the French put in an extra space or is it some bug when two languages (more?) are setup?
    According to the Internet, it is a French thing. And, now that I have the "auto-detect language" turned off, when I have the keyboard set to French, it does it, when it's on English, it does not. So, I don't believe it to be a glitch, so much as a well put together keyboard.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-02-17 10:41 AM
    According to the Internet, it is a French thing. And, now that I have the "auto-detect language" turned off, when I have the keyboard set to French, it does it, when it's on English, it does not. So, I don't believe it to be a glitch, so much as a well put together keyboard.
    Very interesting.

And not so clearly a bug as a difficult compromise when using dual languages???? I just went out looking and found references to this quirk!
    11-02-17 01:42 PM
    Very interesting.

And not so clearly a bug as a difficult compromise when using dual languages???? I just went out looking and found references to this quirk!
    What do you mean?
    11-05-17 09:00 PM
    What do you mean?
    I consulted with a PhD in French History as well as Google. Seems that the space is normal. But I gather that using Dual Languages might confuse the results.
    11-05-17 10:07 PM
    My wife is French Canadian (reason why I have the dual language) and she wasn't even sure about it. So, it's proper to use it, apparently, but not all that common. At least not in the Canadas. :P
    11-05-17 10:11 PM
    My wife is French Canadian (reason why I have the dual language) and she wasn't even sure about it. So, it's proper to use it, apparently, but not all that common. At least not in the Canadas. :P
    I'm French and I can confirm it's normal.

We put a space before "?", "!", ";", ":", anything with two parts.
    And no space before ",", since it's a one part sign.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-17 06:35 AM
    I'm French and I can confirm it's normal.

We put a space before "?", "!", ";", ":", anything with two parts.
    And no space before ",", since it's a one part sign.

Posted via CB10
    Just out of curiosity, are you from France?
    11-06-17 07:34 AM