Well, since we all know there's a lot of talking arround this forums about how blackberry should go android, i thought that it would be nice to have all crackberry great brains pointing out the virtues of bb10 over android. Especially the virtues of a QNX based system. This would help people understand that leaving bb10 would be a great mistake, at least from the blackberry view. What are the advantages of android? and what are those of bb10?
    I know nothing on this matter, so i talk from what i've read. There's a lot of talking of the potential of QNX, and i think that having the members that knows why explain to us would help us understand why blackberry should stick with BB10 and not mutate to a custom ROM android. For what is worth, i personally love bb10, and i wouldn't like to see blackberry leaving it behind, i love OS10.
    So, experts, what's that goldmine blackberry is sitting upon, if there is one?.
    05-21-15 07:17 PM
    So, experts, what's that goldmine blackberry is sitting upon, if there is one?.
    Arguably the goldmine isn't exactly QNX. It's the patents they own.
    BSar likes this.
    05-21-15 07:20 PM
    One of my favorite features to hypothesize about is the QNX Hypervisor which allows another operating system to run.

In this theory, BB10 can run as the main/host OS where as Android could be run as the secondary.

What could would that do? Imagine no more Android Runtime. Instead there would be a whole Android OS available to run yourAndroid apps. While BB10 stays in tact as we do now.

What does having Android do? Natively running Android apps. Native performance. And Google Services (unless if Googles agreement disallows having multiple OS on a single device)

This is all in theory so don't expect this to take shape in practice

Posted via CB10
    BSar likes this.
    05-22-15 05:03 AM
    The hypervisor is just a virtual machine manager allowing multiple os to run virtualized on the same hardware. It's not the game changer some make it out to be.

Posted via CB10
    Have_a_nice_day likes this.
    05-22-15 10:50 AM
    QNX is a real time operating system so in theory it should be less laggy and smoother than the other mobile operating systems. I don't see it in the real world application though.

QNX has a lot of great qualities but I think we really need the Internet of things to take off to really see its advantages.

Posted via CB10
    BSar likes this.
    05-22-15 10:58 AM
    "The hypervisor is just a virtual machine manager allowing multiple os to run virtualized on the same hardware. It's not the game changer some make it out to be."

Tell VMware that ........
    05-22-15 11:02 AM
    The hypervisor is just a virtual machine manager allowing multiple os to run virtualized on the same hardware. It's not the game changer some make it out to be.

Posted via CB10
    Usually in a virtual machine setting I've seen, there's always a host OS. Then on that host OS runs a guest OS in VM.

With the QNX Hypervisor you're running OS side by side. Only difference is when it needs to share some components like the display driver, the 2nd OS accesses it through the 1st OS rather than going through the hypervisor.

That's from what I gather anyway.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 11:54 AM
    The hypervisor acts as the gateway between the virtual machines and the processor. In the qnx scenario bb10 and android would both be virtual machines with I would assume different privileges.

Experts Invitation: QNX-qnx_hypervisor_480.jpg

Experts Invitation: QNX-hyperviseur.png

Posted via CB10
    BSar likes this.
    05-22-15 12:24 PM
    You do realize that that IS the difference that the QNX Hypervisor makes?

It can run OS (or in your terms virtual machines) side by side. Rather than on one host, with multiple guests VMs running on the host. Which is VMWare's current method.

Regardless of terminology, the OS are running in complete isolated instances.

With that concept, post 3 is completely possible.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:02 PM
    So, if I understand correctly, you're saying that there's no actually "wow" factor on a qnx based system as for now. But there's potential with the development of IoT? How's so?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:28 PM
    You do realize that that IS the difference that the QNX Hypervisor makes?

It can run OS (or in your terms virtual machines) side by side. Rather than on one host, with multiple guests VMs running on the host. Which is VMWare's current method.

Regardless of terminology, the OS are running in complete isolated instances.

With that concept, post 3 is completely possible.

Posted via CB10
    It's nothing ground breaking. What you seem to think is some qnx black magic is actually how all bare metal hypervisors work.

Some have a misconception that Google is going to allow play store access if BlackBerry allows full android to run In a virtual machine alongside bb10. It will never happen it's a fantasy. Google is in complete lock down mode concerning android, putting there hooks into apps by requiring Google services. If BlackBerry wants access to the play store they have to follow the rules just like Samsung, sony,lg,htc, moto, ect....

Posted via CB10
    BSar likes this.
    05-22-15 10:10 PM
    The real goldmine is their worldwide secure network and "NOC". Something that is capable of handling petabytes of information per day over millions of transactions. Something that can securely handle Payment transactions, IoT, Connected Car, M2M. Something more scalable than the social networks like FaceBook or Twitter but capable of carrying heavy multi-gigabyte payloads (for example, say, updating a car's OS while it's on Wi-Fi).

It's never been hacked. It's ubiquitous. It's all over the world. (Imagine having a connected car start in Germany and end up in London via Paris and it never loses connectivity despite a built-in SIM). Cars built in Germany could end up in North America and still "work" on the network.

The future of everything/everywhere/all the time means that this kind of network needs to be built out. There are only a couple of companies that even slightly come close (such as, say, IBM) but the massive expense of a new build is cost prohibitive now.

There is a LOT you can do with such a network.
    BSar likes this.
    05-22-15 10:18 PM