As previously communicated in MC191153, beginning October 13, 2020, we will retire Basic Authentication for EWS, EAS, IMAP, POP and RPS to access Exchange Online. Note: this change does not impact SMTP AUTH.

We have published an updated blog with more information about this change - Basic Auth and Exchange Online – February 2020 Update

There are several actions that you and/or your users can take to avoid service disruptions on client applications, and we describe them below and in the blog. If no action is taken, client applications using Basic Authentication for EWS may be unable to connect after October 13, 2020.

Any application using OAuth 2.0 and connecting using any of these protocols, will continue to work without change or interruption.

Does this affect BB10? I have no idea if BB10 (the hub) is using OAuth 2.0.

Posted via my Passport
    02-28-20 12:10 AM
    Who is "we" and what is the source of this information?
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-28-20 at 10:58 AM.
    02-28-20 07:55 AM
    Gonna be even sooner than that, since MS is retiring older encryption protocols-
    MC186218
    Plan For Change
    Published On : July 19, 2019
    Action required by May 31, 2020

As previously communicated (MC124104 in Oct 2017, MC126199 in Dec 2017 and MC128929 in Feb 2018), we are moving all of our online services to Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2+ to provide best-in-class encryption, and to ensure our service is more secure by default.

Keeping on track with this promise – Office 365 will be retiring TLS 1.0 and 1.1 starting June 1, 2020.

How does this impact me?

Starting June 1, 2020, Office 365 will begin retiring TLS 1.0 and 1.1. This means that all connections to Office 365 using the protocols TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will not work.
    I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think BB10 supports TLS 1.2
    02-28-20 09:04 AM
    Gonna be even sooner than that, since MS is retiring older encryption protocols-

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think BB10 supports TLS 1.2
    10.3.3.xxxx BB10 does indeed support TLS 1.2.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-20 09:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ah, my mistake! Glad to know that as well!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-20 10:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    So are we OK then, will that help/solve our issue after October?
    02-28-20 10:06 AM
    Who is "we" and what is the source of this information?

MS

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...365-customers/
    Yeah the "we" is Microsoft and this is mostly for hosted Exchange accounts.... not sure if the same will apply to free "outlook/hotmail..." accounts or not.

Yahoo might be the better solution at that point...
    02-28-20 10:10 AM
    Deleted
    Last edited by WES51; 02-28-20 at 10:59 AM.
    02-28-20 10:18 AM
    Sorry I hit the edit instead of reply earlier

MS

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...365-customers/
    WES51 likes this.
    02-28-20 10:58 AM
    Ah, my mistake! Glad to know that as well!

Posted via CB10
    Not sure all is well..... TLS 1.2 is not the same as OAuth 2.0.

From what I understand, those that utilize Exchange Online services (not local Exchange Server) will need a modern client.... Current Android and iOS Clients have been good for a few years. But even users of MS Office will need a newer client - MS Office 2016 and older are not going to be compatible. How hard would it be for MS to update Outlook 2016?

If it's going to be an issue, your company will be letting you know - as there are tools for administrators to run to test compatibility.

I don't think this will affect the outlook/hotmail free accounts, just the business plans.
    WES51 likes this.
    02-28-20 11:01 AM
    So are we OK then, will that help/solve our issue after October?
    Yes, as far as TLS issue.
    02-28-20 11:33 AM
    Yahoo might be the better solution at that point...
    Yahoo is NEVER the better solution, unless your goal is to give everyone in the world access to your account. The 3 Stooges would do a better job as admins than the Yahoos at Yahoo. They've been breached so often that they've probably installed a revolving door into the server farm. I've seen better security at a lemonade stand.

Friends don't let friends recommend Yahoo.
    WES51, ppeters914, conite and 3 others like this.
    02-28-20 06:31 PM
    Gee, Troy, tell us how you really feel.
    Ben xfg likes this.
    02-28-20 08:23 PM
    As previously communicated in MC191153, beginning October 13, 2020, we will retire Basic Authentication for EWS, EAS, IMAP, POP and RPS to access Exchange Online. Note: this change does not impact SMTP AUTH.

We have published an updated blog with more information about this change - Basic Auth and Exchange Online – February 2020 Update

There are several actions that you and/or your users can take to avoid service disruptions on client applications, and we describe them below and in the blog. If no action is taken, client applications using Basic Authentication for EWS may be unable to connect after October 13, 2020.

Any application using OAuth 2.0 and connecting using any of these protocols, will continue to work without change or interruption.

Posted via my Passport
    Hey rich,

I've actually been monitoring this situation and rest assured that BB10 does indeed support OAuth 2.0, so all should be well after October 13, 2020. I will be keeping an eye on it though so if anything changes I'll update (here if I can, definitely on the BlackberryPhoenix subreddit.)
    WES51 and mikael11 like this.
    02-28-20 09:46 PM
    Hey rich,

I've actually been monitoring this situation and rest assured that BB10 does indeed support OAuth 2.0, so all should be well after October 13, 2020. I will be keeping an eye on it though so if anything changes I'll update (here if I can, definitely on the BlackberryPhoenix subreddit.)
    GREAT news indeed!
    02-28-20 09:48 PM
    Hey Trumpet Tiger,

Thank you for the information. I hope it's still working after October.

Posted via my Passport
    02-28-20 11:48 PM
    BB10 does indeed support OAuth 2.0
    NIAP cert for the win?
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-29-20 10:40 AM
    Yahoo is NEVER the better solution, unless your goal is to give everyone in the world access to your account. The 3 Stooges would do a better job as admins than the Yahoos at Yahoo. They've been breached so often that they've probably installed a revolving door into the server farm. I've seen better security at a lemonade stand.

Friends don't let friends recommend Yahoo.
    This is simply, completely, true. And even with Yahoo's new owner improving security, there will be absolutely no privacy.

I still run a few Yahoo accounts for gaming, but they are all aliases designed to feed misinformation about me to anyone I frustrate online who might want to SWAT or DOX me
    ajohansson likes this.
    04-12-20 01:18 PM

Posted via my Passport
    OAuth 2 was published in 2012. I'd be utterly shocked if BB10 did not support it.
    04-12-20 01:21 PM
    So to be clear, if I am on 10.3.3, I should be able to continue to use Exchange Active Sync (eas)?

I use outlook.com for email, calendar and contacts, setup using eas. Microsoft migrated their free email to Exchange online in the last couple of years. I understand this is similar to O365, but free.

I want to keep using the EAS as it makes it easy to have a shared account with my wife for keeping our family calendar and reminders in sync. I also do something similar with contacts, except I use the "link" features of the BlackBerry contact app.

Having all our stuff through outlook.com was a lifesaver when I had to wipe my wife's Leap recently. About the only complaint was that she lost her text message thread history and I haven't found the original ringtone I had assigned to her profile for text messages.

I recently binged and picked up a couple of Z10 AT&T variants so I have them scattered around the house all nicely synced.

I am a bit more loyal to Microsoft since they brought some of the Exchange features to their free e-mail services. It nicely integrates to import from Yahoo email, making it easy to migrate away from them. Even more cool, Outlook automatically categorizes emails in my inbox so I can filter them to identify when I need to update my email address profile with a vendor.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-20 03:23 PM
    So to be clear, if I am on 10.3.3, I should be able to continue to use Exchange Active Sync (eas)?

I use outlook.com for email, calendar and contacts, setup using eas. Microsoft migrated their free email to Exchange online in the last couple of years. I understand this is similar to O365, but free.

I want to keep using the EAS as it makes it easy to have a shared account with my wife for keeping our family calendar and reminders in sync. I also do something similar with contacts, except I use the "link" features of the BlackBerry contact app.

Having all our stuff through outlook.com was a lifesaver when I had to wipe my wife's Leap recently. About the only complaint was that she lost her text message thread history and I haven't found the original ringtone I had assigned to her profile for text messages.

I recently binged and picked up a couple of Z10 AT&T variants so I have them scattered around the house all nicely synced.

I am a bit more loyal to Microsoft since they brought some of the Exchange features to their free e-mail services. It nicely integrates to import from Yahoo email, making it easy to migrate away from them. Even more cool, Outlook automatically categorizes emails in my inbox so I can filter them to identify when I need to update my email address profile with a vendor.

Posted via CB10
    There's no way to be 100% sure that it will all work until Microsoft ends support for the legacy services and protocols, but, in theory, it should not be an issue.

I have my own Enterprise Office 365 subscription, and one reason I have stuck with BB10 is how perfectly Exchange Online works across all the BB10 core applications! I'd be forced to make major adjustments if it stops working.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    04-12-20 05:38 PM
    I have my old AT&T Z10 (sim deactivated, Wi-Fi only) with my outlook.com account on it. So far, working great. Calendar and contact sync included.

Just note that the email doesn't pick up the categories from outlook.
    04-12-20 10:16 PM
    This doesn't have anything to do with Outlook.com accounts, only corporate email accounts on cloud-hosted Exchange servers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-13-20 03:09 AM
    This doesn't have anything to do with Outlook.com accounts, only corporate email accounts on cloud-hosted Exchange servers.
    In the second half of 2016, Microsoft migrated their outlook.com and hotmail.com services to O365 Exchange online services. So the difference between the cloud-hosted and oulook.com is based on what you purchase in services.

The following was the best write-up I found on the subject as I couldn't find it easily on the Microsoft sites and I don't have the original email announcement I received from them notifying me of the change.

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/...rationinfo.htm

Posted via CB10
    04-15-20 02:23 PM
    OAuth 2 was published in 2012. I'd be utterly shocked if BB10 did not support it.
    It's down to the web browser and the particularly the email client to support Oath2. It doesn't get to the operating system level.
    05-05-20 07:02 AM
63 123