It's down to the web browser and the particularly the email client to support Oath2. It doesn't get to the operating system level.
    Understood. But those components were developed by BlackBerry in 2012-13, and updated for security certifications in 2014 as part of the core system. It would be strange and out of character if they neglected a critical standard in that effort.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    05-05-20 09:22 AM
    Understood. But those components were developed by BlackBerry in 2012-13, and updated for security certifications in 2014 as part of the core system. It would be strange and out of character if they neglected a critical standard in that effort.

Adopt a particular standard is not internationally ratified up to security standards.
    O2 was conjured up by Google with Microsoft Yahoo and AOL joining the cohort, Apple beat all but Google to that.

That is the C.I.A and N.S.A. lacky group.
    Facebook has joined them. But no serious international player outside of the United States of actually taking that on and admitted it.
    05-06-20 01:56 AM
    Adopt a particular standard is not internationally ratified up to security standards.
    O2 was conjured up by Google with Microsoft Yahoo and AOL joining the cohort, Apple beat all but Google to that.

That is the C.I.A and N.S.A. lacky group.
    Facebook has joined them. But no serious international player outside of the United States of actually taking that on and admitted it.
    I'm not arguing for the technical merits of OAuth 2.0. But Microsoft and Google committed to it, and BlackBerry has always focused on full compliance with MS Exchange Server. So, it would be out of character for them not to have included OAuth 2.0 support when they revised BB10 to achieve the US government and ally certifications that are largely coordinated by the "C.I.A and N.S.A lucky group."

Prior to the BlackBerry Mobile fiasco, BlackBerry has never failed to implement Microsoft's protocols for email as soon as they were announced. It's one reason that they're devices have worked for email many years after release.

nevilleadaniels likes this.
    05-06-20 07:20 AM
    Well BlackBerry password keeper is now out for key 2 as of April 2020. Just arrived in the Uk 2 days ago.

The other apps were under beta last month, hopefully you will have have Oauth2 in hub, this month May 2020

If enough people ask Blackberry could be persuaded to issue a patch for the older versions on its own operating system. Especially if they have the support of government departments and big firms.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 05-06-20 at 10:28 AM.
    05-06-20 07:47 AM
    Well BlackBerry password keeper is now out for key 2 as of April 2020. Just arrived in the Uk 2 days ago.

The other apps were under beta last month, hopefully you will have have Oauth2 in hub, this month May 2020
    Being that this discussion is about BB10...
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    05-06-20 08:40 AM

If enough people ask Blackberry could be persuaded to issue a patch for the older versions on its own operating system. Especially if they have the support of government departments and big firms.
    BlackBerry completed all development on BB10, including its Hub and browser in 2014. My assumption is that it supports OAuth 2.0 already, but we'll find out for sure in October.

BlackBerry Android already supports OAuth 2.0, so that's not an issue.

05-06-20 12:25 PM
    I have confirmed that an OAuth library built for the Cascades framework was published in 2013. It included support for OAuth 2.0. However, there is no way to know the following:
    1) whether it was implemented
    2) if it was implemented securely
    3) If it requires additional API configuration to work with Exchange Online that probably won't happen.

The library is located at https:// github.com/blackberry/bb-cascades-oauth

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 05-06-20 at 01:00 PM.
    howarmat and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-06-20 12:44 PM
    I have revised my thinking about whether OAuth 2.0 will work with the BB10 Hub for MS Exchange Online after October 2020. My assumption now is that it probably won't work without an update (which I don't expect to come.) The reason is simple: Microsoft just published the developer guide.

If there is any new information in that guide since substantial work on BB10 ended in 2014, then the implementation won't have been tested, and we should assume it won't work.

ppeters914 likes this.
    05-07-20 04:43 PM
    I have revised my thinking about whether OAuth 2.0 will work with the BB10 Hub for MS Exchange Online after October 2020. My assumption now is that it probably won't work without an update (which I don't expect to come.) The reason is simple: Microsoft just published the developer guide.

If there is any new information in that guide since substantial work on BB10 ended in 2014, then the implementation won't have been tested, and we should assume it won't work.

So we are most likely looking at email such as outlook and hotmail.com not working on Blackberry 10 via the hub? Or is this a situation where a workaround probably won't be available for what we know?

Seems like the arguments for the runway on Blackberry 10 is getting shorter. For the longest time we users would say how calls, texts and emails work fine along with some light Web surfing. If we start to loose email, that's a big nail in the coffin.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-20 07:29 PM
    So we are most likely looking at email such as outlook and hotmail.com not working on Blackberry 10 via the hub? Or is this a situation where a workaround probably won't be available for what we know?

Seems like the arguments for the runway on Blackberry 10 is getting shorter. For the longest time we users would say how calls, texts and emails work fine along with some light Web surfing. If we start to loose email, that's a big nail in the coffin.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I think that the core of BB10 usefulness for people like me (Exchange-based email, task, contact, and calendar synching MAY not work after the. October 2020. The issue is that the current authentication method (using app passwords) will no longer be supported, son that authentication will need to be managed through a security token passed by BlackBerry to Microsoft rather than by allowing the Hub application to use saved credentials for each session.

It's a better authentication process, but there won't be any workarounds if it's not supported by BlackBerry. We'll just have to wait and see. It would be great to get some guidance from the BlackBerry team.

05-07-20 10:43 PM
    This weekend I will try to see if I can force my Office 365 service to only allow OAuth 2.0 and see if that breaks my BB10 connections.

ppeters914 likes this.
    05-07-20 10:45 PM
    I think that the core of BB10 usefulness for people like me (Exchange-based email, task, contact, and calendar synching MAY not work after the. October 2020. The issue is that the current authentication method (using app passwords) will no longer be supported, son that authentication will need to be managed through a security token passed by BlackBerry to Microsoft rather than by allowing the Hub application to use saved credentials for each session.

It's a better authentication process, but there won't be any workarounds if it's not supported by BlackBerry. We'll just have to wait and see. It would be great to get some guidance from the BlackBerry team.

Sorry for the dumb question as I am not the sharpest tech guy, in my case I don't really sync calendar or contacts via my hotmail.com address. I have the email accounts on my hub on my devices and than when I need to use my laptop, I just log on via the website. I don't believe I am using Exchange?

So your saying that in my case in October, I may not be able to get email?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-20 12:45 AM
    Sorry for the dumb question as I am not the sharpest tech guy, in my case I don't really sync calendar or contacts via my hotmail.com address. I have the email accounts on my hub on my devices and than when I need to use my laptop, I just log on via the website. I don't believe I am using Exchange?

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea how Hotmail will be affected. If Microsoft ends support for legacy authentication for Hotmail as well as Office 365, then that could be an issue (Hotmail uses Exchange, but is not part of Office 365.).

Currently the Hub remembers your username and password for Hotmail and logs in repeatedly to check email, with your user name and either your main password (if you don't use second factor authentication) or with an app password.

Microsoft (and everyone else) wants to move away from frequent sending of credentials, as it's more prone to compromise, towards a token-based approach whereas secure key is generated one time and used subsequently instead of passing credentials.

The issue is for you is 1) whether BB10 will support that model and 2) will the same rules be enforced for Hotmail.

I don't know the answer to either question.

05-08-20 07:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hotmail.com and Outlook.com should be part of the O365 Exchange. See my post #24 earlier. You should have received an email from MS in mid 2016 notifying you that they were migrating your Hotmail account.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-20 09:33 AM
    Hotmail.com and Outlook.com should be part of the O365 Exchange. See my post #24 earlier. You should have received an email from MS in mid 2016 notifying you that they were migrating your Hotmail account.

Posted via CB10
    They are using the same platform, but I haven't seen any communication that they will be enforcing OAuth 2.0 for Hotmail and Outlook.com. Have you?

05-08-20 05:25 PM
    Let me tell you that you are exaggerating a lot.
    02-23-21 03:29 PM
    Let me tell you that you are exaggerating a lot.
    This is a one year old thread. Who is "you"?
    02-23-21 03:37 PM
    Hello "cornit" and all.
    Troy Tiscareno in post # 12. I'm sorry, I forgot to "hang" his message with my post.
    02-23-21 11:49 PM
    I use Yahoo, but for a few days the Yahoo account no longer works on my Q10. Does anyone know a solution?
    Maybe I shouldn't open another topic.
    02-23-21 11:54 PM
    I use Yahoo, but for a few days the Yahoo account no longer works on my Q10. Does anyone know a solution?
    Maybe I shouldn't open another topic.
    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/access-yah...-sln15241.html
    02-24-21 05:45 AM
    WOW !!! Thank you master, you made me happy and others for sure! My Iphon mess can go back in the closet. Some know how to do something, others something else. I am ashamed to admit that I sought to solve this problem for a whole day, in vain.
    02-24-21 04:28 PM
    WOW !!! Thank you master, you made me happy and others for sure! My Iphon mess can go back in the closet. Some know how to do something, others something else. I am ashamed to admit that I sought to solve this problem for a whole day, in vain.
    Took me half a year to figure it out. You're in good company.
    02-25-21 08:54 PM
    I just wanted to drop in to confirm that all is well and BB10 works perfectly with Office 365 and Cloud Exchange Server in February 2021. I just deleted and re-added my account and have full functionality sending and receiving email, managing my calendar, adding and syncing contacts, and managing my tasks.

Interestingly, I can also add and sync notes in the Remember app, a function which has long been deprecated in Outlook but which is still support on Exchange Server. So now, in 2021, the HUB in BB10 still has superior integration with Exchange than either the Hub in Android or the native Outlook apps on Android or iOS. It's not even a close race.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-02-21 05:22 PM
    I just wanted to drop in to confirm that all is well and BB10 works perfectly with Office 365 and Cloud Exchange Server in February 2021. I just deleted and re-added my account and have full functionality sending and receiving email, managing my calendar, adding and syncing contacts, and managing my tasks.

Interestingly, I can also add and sync notes in the Remember app, a function which has long been deprecated in Outlook but which is still support on Exchange Server. So now, in 2021, the HUB in BB10 still has superior integration with Exchange than either the Hub in Android or the native Outlook apps on Android or iOS. It's not even a close race.

Posted via CB10
    Haven't seen you in almost 3 months! All good?
    03-02-21 05:35 PM
    Haven't seen you in almost 3 months! All good?
    Yes, thanks for asking! I didn't mean to stay away so long. It's just that I have nothing to add to most of the threads these days. I'm not interested in OM, or PKBs, or BlackBerry on Android, or the future of mobile phones.

I'm really into my new Z10 on WiFi for Exchange, tethered to my iPhone SE for apps, however! This is the happiest I've been on Mobile since 2014-15 when BB10 was in its heyday. I'm easily getting 14-16 hours of use on my Z10 on WiFi.

I could work like this forever, or at least until MSFT cuts me off.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-21 05:59 PM
63 123