Sorry if the title was misleading.

A great communications device needs a great camera.

During the call of "Strategic alliances and partnerships" I was hoping for something like this for future Blackberry devices

Chinese smart phones producer BBK rumored to start using Nikon Expeed image processor in their devices | Nikon Rumors

Nikon is a well respected player in the Imaging and camera industry and was looking for ways to diverse themselves.
    09-25-13 07:53 PM
    Sorry if the title was misleading.

A great communications device needs a great camera.

During the call of "Strategic alliances and partnerships" I was hoping for something like this for future Blackberry devices

Chinese smart phones producer BBK rumored to start using Nikon Expeed image processor in their devices | Nikon Rumors

Nikon is a well respected player in the Imaging and camera industry and was looking for ways to diverse themselves.
    Ya, that's the ticket. An amazing camera. Solves all of BlackBerry's problems. Apps? Pfft! Brand perception? Pfft! A fancy camera will win the hearts of all!!!

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk but a nice camera is pretty low on the list of 'things that will turn BlackBerry around' in the grand scheme of it all. They have app issues, perception issues, management issues, deployment issues, marketing issues and countless other problems.
    howarmat, tack, shahyaz and 3 others like this.
    09-25-13 08:26 PM
    Ya, that's the ticket. An amazing camera. Solves all of BlackBerry's problems. Apps? Pfft! Brand perception? Pfft! A fancy camera will win the hearts of all!!!

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk but a nice camera is pretty low on the list of 'things that will turn BlackBerry around' in the grand scheme of it all. They have app issues, perception issues, management issues, deployment issues, marketing issues and countless other problems.
    True. Although I do think this would have helped with marketing and public perception.

A 1.7 inch sensor is huge and will be able to take great pictures.

But alas these are dark times.

Q10-Z10-iP5
    09-25-13 08:58 PM
    (...)
    But alas these are dark times.

Q10-Z10-iP5
    And the Winter is coming...

eldricho likes this.
    09-26-13 05:26 AM
    I think BlackBerry needs a nice camera, AND MORE....

Don't think this is a good year for smart phones in general anyway... despite selling 9 mil phones seems like I phones been getting lots of complaints too!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 05:36 AM
    True. Although I do think this would have helped with marketing and public perception.

A 1.7 inch sensor is huge and will be able to take great pictures.
    It's not a 1.7" sensor, is it? It's a 1/1.7" sensor, which I make still just smaller than the 1/1.83" sensor in my 3 year old Nokia N8.
    09-26-13 10:22 AM
    Yeah, thanks for the misleading title !

Since I'm here, I do agree that for consumers making the buying decision, a great camera seems to be a big thing. Now, I said buying not using. I think any consumer focused smartphone needs to have at least a current state camera and any providers that ignore this feature will be trashed into submission.

Since Blackerry is no longer in the consumer market, I wonder what they will do with their incredtibly average camera features ?
    09-26-13 10:53 AM
    It's not a 1.7" sensor, is it? It's a 1/1.7" sensor, which I make still just smaller than the 1/1.83" sensor in my 3 year old Nokia N8.
    Yes that's correct 1/1.7 inch sensor. Ssure your N8 has a larger sensor so does the Nokia 1020. But nothing else on the market. Either way I'm almost sure BlackBerry is not going down this route. Prosumer is their future. Whatever that means.

Q10-Z10-iP5
    09-26-13 03:48 PM
    Fitting a good camera is one thing. Marketing and advertising it might be a problem..........Just saying.
    09-26-13 04:13 PM
    Fitting a good camera is one thing. Marketing and advertising it might be a problem..........Just saying.
    Well. Nikon is top 2 with canon as the world's most successful commercial professional imaging tools. It might have made some headway in media thus marketing.

But im just saying here. Its all hindsight. I'm a photography nut as well as a crackberrier :-)

Q10-Z10-iP5
    09-26-13 04:25 PM
    I think we can all agree it wouldn't hurt to have a nicer camera on the devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 04:30 PM
    Well. Nikon is top 2 with canon as the world's most successful commercial professional imaging tools. It might have made some headway in media thus marketing.

But im just saying here. Its all hindsight. I'm a photography nut as well as a crackberrier :-)
    Thing is - I was probably being too subtle, it's my curse... - the point I was trying to make, is that a vendor has already done that party trick of making phones with excellent cameras in, and it wasn't a convincing focus for them (if you'll pardon the play on words).

It was more, really, and interesting footnote on some particular handset(s), as opposed to a killer reason to get one.

I love my N8. It has a very decent camera for a smartphone, and doesn't rely on whizbang software to impress. All the same, although the camera on my Z10 isn't as good, the solution is more usable (especially the auto-sync with the "cloud"). I still use my N8 as a work handset, so it's still with me a lot of my time, anyways - and a thoroughly decent phone it was, but a decent camera didn't provide Nokia with any longevity, it's not likely to with BlackBerry, either.
    09-26-13 04:35 PM
    Little larger
    09-26-13 04:57 PM
    Little larger
    Is it truly a fraction, then - I took it as being a ratio?
    09-26-13 05:01 PM
    This is exactly what i hope would happen for Blackberry-sensorsizes.svg.png

This should help to put it into perspective...it's a true fraction.
    I found this gem in a photography forum. When we see a sensor size described as:
    1/N"
    it means that the diagonal dimension of the sensor is approximately 16.5/N mm.
    Wongsky and millwright40 like this.
    09-26-13 05:17 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SensorSizes.svg.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	205555

I found this gem in a photography forum. When we see a sensor size described as:
    1/N"
    Excellent, and most helpful.
    09-26-13 05:30 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SensorSizes.svg.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	205555

1/N"
    Thanks for that.

Q10-Z10-iP5
    09-27-13 05:00 AM