Good times

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Those were the days of BerryLeaks, too.
    02-27-19 11:16 AM
    Yep. Those were the days of BerryLeaks, too.
    Oh yeah. I had blocked that one. Memory wise

Posted via CB10
    MadMax636 likes this.
    02-27-19 11:39 AM
    (3) Some people have suggested blackberry link backups might be useless since it requires a blackberry ID as well which needs to call home. I have a third party app called "iSkysoft Phone Transfer" which can open blackberry link backups - but what I found interesting is that it requires the blackberry ID password to open the backup but I can turn off wifi while doing it.
    Hence, it's not calling home but is using a local password stored in the backup file.
    Will say that is interesting.... and something I hadn't seen before. Look forward to others testing it too.

Does it transfer Apps, or just your basic Contacts, Photos , Music???
    02-27-19 01:43 PM
    I think i've found enough evidence to conclude shutting down bbid will not brick blackberry 10 phones as some people have suggested.

Here are the reasons:
    (1) You can security wipe a phone with no network connectivity - it's easy to test you just take out the sim and turn off WiFi. Once the security wipe is finished you can also setup the phone without WiFi or a sim. Hence, the device doesn't "die: without calling home as some have suggested.

(2) You can also turn off blackberry protect without network connectivity - Just turn off the WiFi and remove a sim and then click to turn off protect. It will ask you for your bbid password - which apparently is stored locally since it can't call home without a sim or wifi.

(3) Some people have suggested blackberry link backups might be useless since it requires a blackberry ID as well which needs to call home. I have a third party app called "iSkysoft Phone Transfer" which can open blackberry link backups - but what I found interesting is that it requires the blackberry ID password to open the backup but I can turn off wifi while doing it.
    Hence, it's not calling home but is using a local password stored in the backup file.

Based on the above I think you can conclude that BlackBerry already built in redundancy in the case the servers are not available.
    The phone will surely degrade when it comes to internet apps not working over time - but it will not brick.
    Hey forever10,

Yes, despite the protests of some on this thread who are claiming otherwise, there has been significant implication that devices may brick at any time. It has been tested and confirmed that this is not the case but it's good to have additional BB10 users providing further confirmation!

That's good to know about BB Protect and particularly on iSkysoft. I will be looking into and testing this further as well, as it would be big news to find that the BBID decryption scheme is stored locally rather than requiring a callout to BBID servers (to say nothing of being able to use Link backups without Link).

Thanks for sharing my friend! Long live Blackberry 10!
    02-27-19 03:16 PM
    Hey forever10,

Yes, despite the protests of some on this thread who are claiming otherwise,
    I don't see one post in this thread that claims BB10 devices will be bricks... you really need to let that go.
    conite likes this.
    02-27-19 03:40 PM
    I don't see one post in this thread that claims BB10 devices will be bricks... you really need to let that go.
    There are posters in this thread who are saying (in this thread) that they don't believe BB10 devices will be bricks after 1/1/2020 who have strongly implied, if not flat out said, that they believe BB10 devices may stop working at any point in time (in other threads). That is confirmed and can be verified if needed.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    02-27-19 03:51 PM
    What is the thought if someone security wipes the device in 2020? Game over?
    02-27-19 04:33 PM
    At the point where the BBID infrastructure gets shut down, as long as BlackBerry Protect is disabled, you should be fine to proceed with a security wipe.
    02-27-19 04:38 PM
    As a further point of clarification, there is absolutely NO evidence that the BBID infrastructure will be shut down, but should that occur it appears from forever10's post that you can actually disable Protect from the device itself as long as you know the appropriate Blackberry ID.

I will be testing this further as well but all indications now are that it doesn't matter if Blackberry Limited's infrastructure is unavailable--you can disable Protect without any connection needed.
    02-27-19 04:41 PM
    Since blackberry servers were filtered in Russia, the phones continued to work (BBW was unavailable, though)
    02-28-19 04:05 AM
    Since blackberry servers were filtered in Russia, the phones continued to work (BBW was unavailable, though)
    That's probable the best example of what users should expect... phones should work, it may just take getting use to some changes. And living without some "features".... for me BLEND was a huge feature of BB10.
    02-28-19 07:08 AM
    He found a way to download bar files from BlackBerry World.

But that was shut down rather quickly.
    I remember that, and there was some controversy surrounding it.
    02-28-19 08:01 AM
    That's good to know about BB Protect and particularly on iSkysoft. I will be looking into and testing this further as well, as it would be big news to find that the BBID decryption scheme is stored locally rather than requiring a callout to BBID servers (to say nothing of being able to use Link backups without Link).
    I will be testing this further as well but all indications now are that it doesn't matter if Blackberry Limited's infrastructure is unavailable--you can disable Protect without any connection needed.
    Yeah it's been confirmed a few times already that BB Protect can be turned off locally. I've tested this myself. I.e. even if BBID servers go offline, and even after a factory reset, one can still use their Blackberry 10 device as a basic call/text phone. However, such a scenario (or lost or stolen) would mean goodbye to native apps without their respective .bar files.

Btw, I checked iSkysoft's website and they don't support the backup/restore of BB10 apps. So not much use.
    Last edited by bb_geezer; 02-28-19 at 10:20 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-28-19 10:06 AM
    As I remember, we can back up apps with BB Link. It works is the same like on Playbook's backing up.
    02-28-19 12:16 PM
    As I remember, we can back up apps with BB Link. It works is the same like on Playbook's backing up.
    Yes, but without a BBID on your device (which you would have to remove if the infrastructure went down), you cannot perform a restore.
    02-28-19 12:20 PM
    Backup and restore never worked for me anyway.
    03-01-19 10:45 AM
    Backup and restore never worked for me anyway.
    LINK or just the backup and restore....

It was tricky sometimes... but usually I could do a selective restore that would get most of what I needed.

Now LINK in general was an issue around the time Windows 10 came out... strangely it has behaved better the last year, than the two years before that. Thus I got use to just not needed to do a restore....

BlackBerry World and the continuing depreciation of the Android ecosystem on BB10 is the biggest issue I see... along with a few other native apps that will probable no longer work.
    03-01-19 11:01 AM
    LINK or just the backup and restore....

It was tricky sometimes... but usually I could do a selective restore that would get most of what I needed.

Now LINK in general was an issue around the time Windows 10 came out... strangely it has behaved better the last year, than the two years before that. Thus I got use to just not needed to do a restore....

BlackBerry World and the continuing depreciation of the Android ecosystem on BB10 is the biggest issue I see... along with a few other native apps that will probable no longer work.
    This is all I have left that still works, out of seven pages of apps at one time. And we can cross BeWeather off now, it seems.

Evidence Blackberry 10 phones will work even if bbid shuts down.-img_20190301_120904.jpg
    03-01-19 12:21 PM
    This is all I have left that still works, out of seven pages of apps at one time. And we can cross BeWeather off now, it seems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190301_120904.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	443217
    This screenshot makes me tear up of nostalgia. I think I need to fire up all my neglected BB10 devices and caress them fondly.
    MadMax636 likes this.
    03-01-19 12:28 PM
    This screenshot makes me tear up of nostalgia. I think I need to fire up all my neglected BB10 devices and caress them fondly.
    Don't make the mistake I did - scrolled through previous apps in BBW and almost had a tear roll down.
    dmlis likes this.
    03-01-19 12:30 PM
    Hard to believe this launched six years ago this month. Time flies.
    03-01-19 12:32 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190301_120904.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	443217
    That's more apps than I ever used on BB10, which also explains why I'm still happy using it, except for the loss of Connect to Microsoft OneDrive.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-01-19 03:07 PM
    I still use Q5, it work fine. Lucky i just use webbrowser app which already covered by Opera mini Android
    03-08-19 06:33 AM
    Just got this email directly from Blackberry
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry.

BlackBerry 10 OS devices will still work in 2020. You need to have a BlackBerry ID to download applications.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    03-13-19 12:22 PM
    Just got this email directly from Blackberry
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry.

BlackBerry 10 OS devices will still work in 2020. You need to have a BlackBerry ID to download applications.
    Cool.... only they specifically said there will be no more BlackBerry World, so I wouldn't count on being able to download applications in 2020.

Devices should work... to some degree or another.
    03-13-19 02:28 PM
160 1234 ...