I've been using and using and using BB10. I teach lessons on BB10 to beginner and advanced users on a day-to-day basis that the lack on consistency in the system is destroying the user experience. I have some suggestions, built one what is alright part of the system, and I hope hope hope that someone is listening.

I had it described to me, early in my BB10 days, that the button that you find on the bottom left of any native app is a filter, where you can narrow down the view of whatever you're looking at. And, that the "three dot" button often found on the bottom right is like the "right-click" on a computer, with extra options. THIS IS GENIUS. But it is POORLY implemented across the system.

For example, it works wonderfully in the HUB. Places where it is muddled is the Calendar in Z10 doesn't have that filter (whereas it DOES exist in the Q10). In BBM, there's a lot of confusion over the filter menu, the three "Chats, updates, groups" buttons along the bottom (which seem to me like filters....) and the right click menu which often has "settings" (which are supposed to be up top). In all of the media apps, there is no filter button, but instead a button bar along the bottom that acts as a filter.

These are the kinds of inconsistencies that the media, and users, are red-flagging. The filter/right click/drop down settings idea is amazing! It is simple, and I would love to be able to tell all my users that its as simple as that. But as it stands, I cant! (No drop down settings in the web browser. They're in the right click for some reason!!!???)

Please, someone at blackberry understand that the intended combo was a great idea, but it is not being implemented in an orderly fashion.

NOW, I'd like to take it a bit further. WHY the buttons?! Even the filter buttons. I thought that this was BB10, and we don't want buttons. You have these bezels. Use them.

Lets make a pull from the left bezel the filter.
    Lets make a pull from the right bezel the "right click" menu
    Lets make a pull from the top bezel the settings and help (as it is supposed to be right now)
    Lets make a pull from the bottom bezel a close-app/peek (as it is right now)

That way, we can free up all that beautiful screen space for viewing! There's no reason to have a filter button if the bezel can do the same thing. It just obstructs the view.

COULD you imagine a screen where 100% of it was in view all the time and useful?
    Lincoln Liking and LazyEvul like this.
    09-28-13 08:10 PM
    I've been too busy to start a detailed thread on this, but I've had a gripe of my own as far as consistency goes: the swipe to go back between menus. It's absent in quite a few of the BlackBerry-made apps, such as:

-Maps
    -The Hub settings, but not the Hub itself
    -Facebook (Made by BlackBerry, not to mention that it comes preloaded on the phone, so I figured I'd count it)
    -The Help app (which is also slow to load and briefly freezes the phone if you load it from another app through the "Help" button at the top bezel)
    -BlackBerry Virtual Expert
    -BlackBerry Newsstand

I haven't been able to confirm a few more apps I'd like to (Beta Zone, Travel, Work Drives, LinkedIn), but there is clearly work to be done here.
    09-28-13 08:29 PM
    there is always work to be done, at least there's less than the playbook launch
    09-28-13 08:34 PM
    I don't think of the left menu as a filter but as a way to change "modes". And in most applications you can pull this menu by sliding towards the right (doesn't even need to be from the bezel). I never hit that button unless I'm in the browser, in which case sliding it out would conflict with scrolling the screen.

And it wouldn't work to "slide" out the right menu because it's contents usually change depending on the selected items--id est, if you long-hold on something the right menu will automatically open with labels hidden, but you can slide it open the rest of the way or just press the icons to see the label and slide your finger off it again without activating it.

I agree that there is a little bit of inconsistency about where the Settings are, but in BBM they are on the top pull-down bar. In the Hub the Settings are in the right bar because the sliding down from the top bezel opens the global quick-access settings like on the homw screen.

I feel it's pretty consistent myself.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    bhuahua likes this.
    09-28-13 08:34 PM
    Also wanted to mention that if you slide the back button away from the left side of the screen, it will bring you back to the top-level instead of just the last page. So for instance, if you're in File Manager and you are three folders deep, pressing the Back button will bring you to the parent folder, but if you pull the Back button it will bring you to the root level and also slide out the left menu a bit.

Everyone says it: we need to fix consistency throughout the OS-img_00000361.png

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    cman5 likes this.
    09-28-13 08:41 PM
    Also wanted to mention that if you slide the back button away from the left side of the screen, it will bring you back to the top-level instead of just the last page. So for instance, if you're in File Manager and you are three folders deep, pressing the Back button will bring you to the parent folder, but if you pull the Back button it will bring you to the root level and also slide out the left menu a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000361.png 
Views:	751 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	206104

I didn't know this. Cool stuff.

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    09-28-13 10:12 PM
    I don't think of the left menu as a filter but as a way to change "modes". And in most applications you can pull this menu by sliding towards the right (doesn't even need to be from the bezel). I never hit that button unless I'm in the browser, in which case sliding it out would conflict with scrolling the screen.

And it wouldn't work to "slide" out the right menu because it's contents usually change depending on the selected items--id est, if you long-hold on something the right menu will automatically open with labels hidden, but you can slide it open the rest of the way or just press the icons to see the label and slide your finger off it again without activating it.

I agree that there is a little bit of inconsistency about where the Settings are, but in BBM they are on the top pull-down bar. In the Hub the Settings are in the right bar because the sliding down from the top bezel opens the global quick-access settings like on the homw screen.

I feel it's pretty consistent myself.

I also know that using the filter/mode button currently changes depending on the Window. But that's my point. As it stands it's a cool idea, but cresting some consistency with it would make it much better. And totally hiding it unless called upon would be coolest.

As another poster mentioned, the swipe from the right to go back only seems to work sometimes. I'd sooner have it scrapped in favour of my idea (obviously, since my ideas are awesome. Hahaha)(sarcasm).

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    09-28-13 10:15 PM
    I also know that using the filter/mode button currently changes depending on the Window. But that's my point. As it stands it's a cool idea, but cresting some consistency with it would make it much better. And totally hiding it unless called upon would be coolest.

As another poster mentioned, the swipe from the right to go back only seems to work sometimes. I'd sooner have it scrapped in favour of my idea (obviously, since my ideas are awesome. Hahaha)(sarcasm).

I wouldn't want it scrapped. It's so much nicer; you don't even need to _look_ at the button--just swipe--which is what makes gestures so powerful. It doesn't work all the time because it sometimes interferes with the application, like in Browser.

If it's a page that has buttons on the top (eg Cancel and Send like when composing emails), you can slide the page back and see what's under it (called Peek), but as soon as you let go it'll snap back. This is by design because it's usually something that needs to be saved/sent/discarded explicitly by the user before you can continue.

campbecw likes this.
    09-28-13 10:27 PM
    I wouldn't want it scrapped. It's so much nicer; you don't even need to _look_ at the button--just swipe--which is what makes gestures so powerful. It doesn't work all the time because it sometimes interferes with the application, like in Browser.

If it's a page that has buttons on the top (eg Cancel and Send like when composing emails), you can slide the page back and see what's under it (called Peek), but as soon as you let go it'll snap back. This is by design because it's usually something that needs to be saved/sent/discarded explicitly by the user before you can continue.

I'd sooner be able to back out of it with just a swipe and have it saved as a draft than have to use a dedicated back button.

Any other inconsistencies you can think of?

Last edited by campbecw; 09-30-13 at 03:05 PM.
    09-30-13 06:15 AM
    I didn't know this. Cool stuff.

Wow! Out friggin' standing!

Trusted Member Genius
    09-30-13 02:56 PM