Plenty of handset manufacturers aren't making money with Android. Why would BlackBerry be any different. Who wants to be HTC?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 05:17 PM
    Plenty of handset manufacturers aren't making money with Android. Why would BlackBerry be any different. Who wants to be HTC?
    BlackBerry has failed to make money with BB10. While at the same time Samsung has done fairly well with Android.

HTC's problems go way beyond Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-02-16 05:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Do the math. If things on the Priv like Hub, security tools and a few other things gets about 1% of the overall Android market they will roughly double the BB10 market share. A few percent of the Android market and the BB hardware division might survive. It's that simple.
    01-02-16 05:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    But all those manufacturers have better marketshare than BB10 which loses just as much if not more cash. Android can never be worse marketshare than BB10. If BlackBerry wrote off every BB10 device left, gave them all to a shell corporation, and that company gave to any person for nothing, BlackBerry marketshare would double/triple. If BlackBerry paid for each phone to have six months free service with any carrier, at end of six months, people would still drop service and marketshare would go back down again. You can't even give away BB10.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-02-16 07:47 PM
    They've been pushing the superior product for 3 years now and it isn't getting them anywhere.
    HOW have they pushed exactly?! I am still waiting to see a single ad for BlackBerry 10, the Z10, Z30, Q10,...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't really need to make a lot of money with Android as I read their statements. They simply want to continue making hardware to tie in with their enterprise software offerings for cases where a customer wants a full solution. Microsoft has said it will keep making phones for a similar reason.

What BlackBerry must do is simply not lose a bunch of money on hardware. BlackBerry 10 was costing them a fortune.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-02-16 10:46 PM
    Priv will die an early death if it's selling less than a passport at launch. And it will be another wasted effort and money. I still believe in BlackBerry 10, if marketed properly. BlackBerry is the worst marketer is the world.

Passport SE
    01-03-16 12:38 AM
    Priv will die an early death if it's selling less than a passport at launch. And it will be another wasted effort and money. I still believe in BlackBerry 10, if marketed properly. BlackBerry is the worst marketer is the world.

Passport SE
    How do you market a product's benefits that aren't primary to 99.7% of smartphone market? At same time, primary demand to same users, Apps, don't exist without elaborate wizardry and processes that aren't necessary with the competition. All the marketing dollars on the planet will not get people to line up to purchase sewer tank sludge and pretend it's desirable.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-03-16 01:04 AM

Passport SE
    If Priv dies an early death, the hardware division dies with it. BB10 is not exempt from that.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, paulbbp and Jonneh like this.
    01-03-16 01:16 AM
    I think Priv will be quickly forgotten..like a Pre with its Oreo effect..anyone remember?

Passport SE
    01-03-16 01:19 AM
    I think Priv will be quickly forgotten..like a Pre with its Oreo effect..anyone remember?

Passport SE
    Similar but main difference is that BlackBerry has much better management team in place at this point than Palm did and other revenue streams with software division. Hardware may die but at least stock in better shape.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 01:22 AM
    How do you market a product's benefits that aren't primary to 99.7% of smartphone market? At same time, primary demand to same users, Apps, don't exist without elaborate wizardry and processes that aren't necessary with the competition. All the marketing dollars on the planet will not get people to line up to purchase sewer tank sludge and pretend it's desirable.

Posted via CB10
    HTC and Samsung are both Android, see what happened with HTC...they just sell HQ to save some money. So going with 99% of the crowd is not a guarantee for success. BlackBerry marketing flops is now a case study and history on MBA schools on how not to screw up product launch and marketing.

Passport SE
    01-03-16 01:23 AM
    Similar but main difference is that BlackBerry has much better management team in place at this point than Palm did and other revenue streams with software division. Hardware may die but at least stock in better shape.

Posted via CB10
    Palm with Rubinstein and Nokia with Elop..see similarities? I hope Chen is different than both, hopefully he is honest and have a clear direction. Revenues etc is nice but once the image is negative it's hard to repair it...see Yahoo, BlackBerry.

Passport SE
    01-03-16 01:26 AM
    Palm with Rubinstein and Nokia with Elop..see similarities? I hope Chen is different than both, hopefully he is honest and have a clear direction. Revenues etc is nice but once the image is negative it's hard to repair it...see Yahoo, BlackBerry.

Passport SE
    Since 2010 I've had to carry two phones to have necessary apps. I'm surprised that BlackBerry made it to survive Chen's predecessors. I've owned every BlackBerry offered through AT&T up to BB10 and then bought every unlocked BB10 device not available through AT&T. Only exceptions are Z3 and Q5. It's become the "addiction". I'm encouraged with Priv but I have always waited six months after initial rollout to buy device to give carrier and manufacturer to smooth out the bugs. My impression with Priv is that Chen isn't looking for "killer" status. I believe end game is BlackBerry software on non BlackBerry android phones generating monthly user revenue like BIS/BES of past. The Priv is more about creating a benchmark to allow enterprise clients to measure against. BYOD is just so cost saving to enterprise users that securing it appears to be the Holy grail. Military /Government demand with their custom build RFP's dovetail into this strategy if Chen is able remain successful with his software plan.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-03-16 01:48 AM
    Posted via CB10

Because that's a different approach.
    BlackBerry is now mainly a software company targeting enterprises: here's the switch.
    They do need smartphones to fulfill the "end to end" mantra, either with BBOS/BB10/Android ones.
    IMHO, that's the only reason you still see a smartphone division at BlackBerry right now; their goal is not to make billions with phones ATM, it's just to maintain that truste and recognized "security chain" without deprecating their business model.
    I've not heard a single time "regain market shares to competitors" as a goal, as such. Instead, I heard - numerous times - "be profitable again or game over".
    They are not even set - staff, supply chain, local teams - to have a chance to fight against apple and samsung. So much they set direct or indirect alliances with their former competitors. That's the new deal. Take the money where it is, where you can. Don't enter the fight if you have zero chance to win.
    01-03-16 03:16 PM
    here are some questions for you priv proponents...

whats the battery life like?

how many apps did you have to download in order to get anywhere near the productivity level you had with bb10?

how many of those apps did you have to purchase, and at what cost?
    I for one, would not want to download too many "free" android apps...if you know what I mean.

on that note, how fine-grained are the app permission settings?

Posted via CBX
    01-05-16 09:18 AM
    I care... I guess that makes your thread invalid since you said nobody cares. Oops.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 10:26 AM
    BlackBerry has failed to make money with BB10. While at the same time Samsung has done fairly well with Android.

HTC's problems go way beyond Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Samsung is making money because they have a "good name " and also they are not selling only smartphones. BlackBerry is new in the Android community, they just abandoned twice their users, they released a very expensive smartphone (Samsung is selling many models of smartphones from cheap to high -end). There are a lot of manufacturers in the Android community that are not worldwide with a profit that is smaller than the profit of BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry (the shareholders) is trying to make a big profit very fast without investing correctly and that's the way to failure.
    When you talk about Android being the best seller in smartphone market, think about how many manufacturers of Android smartphones have the same profit as Samsung does.
    Would Sony survive only with the smartphone market? What about LG? ... and other manufacturers...
    Many Android users went from Android to IPhone. Many of them will go to Windows Phone in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 10:43 AM
    Windows phone? Not a chance. I just replaced my Windows phone (Nokia 830) with the Priv 3 weeks ago And have not missed it for a second. There is really no comparison. I have had windows phones for the last 2 years ....2 years I will never get back!
    01-05-16 11:07 AM
    Also, most people i know are going from Iphones to Android, and not the other way.
    01-05-16 11:08 AM
    I know a lot of people who went from Android to IPhone but I don't know anyone who went from IPhone to Android. Android is laggy comparing to Android, but I'm not a fan of IPhone neither.
    I never tried any Windows phone, I heard about the old ones that they are ****ty but I also heard that the new models are good.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 12:57 PM
    I know a lot of people who went from Android to IPhone but I don't know anyone who went from IPhone to Android. Android is laggy comparing to Android, but I'm not a fan of IPhone neither.
    I never tried any Windows phone, I heard about the old ones that they are ****ty but I also heard that the new models are good.

Posted via CB10
    I can't say I know anyone who went from Android to iphone. All have been the other way around.

IOS 9 is buggy.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:40 AM
    This is the road that BB has paved for itself. Everything prior to the Priv is done. BB10 is done. The priv is not doing good. If it was you would see people swinging from thew rafters and proclaiming how BB finally got it right. BB will not be in the device business. It should be so obvious that they cant do it anymore. They have fallen way too far behind.
    Watching the Republican GOP Debate right now and reading your comment with such extreme absolutes; so many similarities between the two.
    01-14-16 10:27 PM
    here are some questions for you priv proponents...
    whats the battery life like?
    It's fantastic! I'm really enjoying how long it lasts. Longer is always better, of course; so if it could last a full two or three days, like I used to achieve with my old extended batteries, that'd be awesome, despite the giant size (always worth it to me). But I already get a full day with the Priv, and I get easily, which is fantastic for me.

how many apps did you have to download in order to get anywhere near the productivity level you had with bb10?
    "Productivity"? I mean, I'm just as productive with my device as I was with any of my previous devices, whether they were running BB10, BB7, or Android. If you mean Peek and Flow, I definitely miss those from my old Q10; very useful UI features. Fortunately, with Android you can find ways to mimic pretty much anything, so mimicking BB10's gestures is actually a very easy task on Android. Productivity doesn't come from the device; I, the user, make any device productive for my needs. :-)

how many of those apps did you have to purchase, and at what cost?
    I for one, would not want to download too many "free" android apps...if you know what I mean.
    Usually apps are similar to other major OS competitor pricing - anywhere from 99 cents to 1.99 for the majority of paid apps, with ranges. Most apps, again like other major OS competitors, are free anyway.
    Yes, I do know what you're referring to here; you're saying that free apps are data mining apps. It's just odd that you only seem to think Android has that, lol. Every OS has apps that are trying to get information from you to target ads and whatnot. If you think iOS, Windows Phone, and even BlackBerry themselves do not gather information about their users, then you are very ignorant in that regard. You are feeding into the media's clickbait headlines. Which earns those sites money with every click. If you're actually interested in learning about this topic, hit me back, but if you're just here to troll, then I'll stop here and let you carry on :-)

on that note, how fine-grained are the app permission settings?
    App permissions on Lollipop? Not as controllable as BB10's offerings. It's something Android users wanted for awhile, so Google fixed it last October with Marshmallow. Unfortunately, Blackberry wanted to get the phone out instead of releasing it with the latest OS version. Fortunately, though, I can already enjoy all of Marshmallow's features on my Nexus 5 while I wait for BlackBerry to hurry up and serve me some warm, gooey, Marshmallow love.

Any other questions or concerns, ask away sir.
    01-14-16 11:01 PM
    Agreed! Enough already. Priv talks show be moved to Android Central.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-14-16 11:15 PM
171 ... 4567