So in a worst case scenario if the priv flops and BlackBerry stops being in the handset business what happens to priv updates, can Google keep it in the loop or is that not likely?

Posted via CB10
    Root it and install custom roms if available
    10-30-15 07:33 PM
    I care.

Been using BlackBerry since 2004 and can't wait for my Priv.

PS: Take pottery class or learn to paint or something, all that anger is bad for your health

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-30-15 07:40 PM
    But if the phone is locked down it won't allow that. That's the risk in buying this phone. If BB gives up on it, then we'll be stuck in time with no updates.
    10-30-15 07:40 PM
    Good luck rooting it...Qualcomm and BlackBerry are using hardware encrypted PIN injection to verify integrity at multiple points of the booting process. This thing is as secure as it gets for an Android.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-30-15 07:42 PM
    NO it's an Android phone with a Blackberry label stuck on it. Maybe you can get Apple to use Android as well and then we can all be the same? Me I like Blackberry hardware with Blackberry software.
    It would still be an Apple phone...using Android.

Like a Samsung phone...using Android.
    Like a LG phone...using Android.

If Apple or Samsung switched their software to BB10, they will not suddenly become Blackberries. They will be Apple or Samsung phones...using BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 01:12 AM
    They've been pushing the superior product for 3 years now and it isn't getting them anywhere.
    They haven't been pushing it, they've let it sit and stagnate while nobody knows about it.
    acovey and Sparksx like this.
    11-06-15 01:51 AM
    Good luck rooting it...Qualcomm and BlackBerry are using hardware encrypted PIN injection to verify integrity at multiple points of the booting process. This thing is as secure as it gets for an Android.
    I wonder what percentage of mobile phone security breaches are done at this level. The problem with the ultra-private Priv is that as soon as you log into your Google account and start syncing stuff with Google, you have no more privacy than you would if you danced naked in front of your living room window.

I'd take the privacy thing seriously if BlackBerry let you generate your own encryption keys before syncing files, contacts and calendar with Google Drive.
    11-06-15 01:54 AM
    I wonder what percentage of mobile phone security breaches are done at this level. The problem with the ultra-private Priv is that as soon as you log into your Google account and start syncing stuff with Google, you have no more privacy than you would if you danced naked in front of your living room window.

I'd take the privacy thing seriously if BlackBerry let you generate your own encryption keys before syncing files, contacts and calendar with Google Drive.
    Then don't sync anything. Create a new dummy google account and install a 3rd party browser/email client/ contacts app/ calendar/ anything else.

Google won't touch app data from other apps other than their own apps. This way, you get to use your priv with Google getting very little of actual data about you.
    tufcustomer and jabia like this.
    11-06-15 08:46 AM
    NO it's an Android phone with a Blackberry label stuck on it. Maybe you can get Apple to use Android as well and then we can all be the same? Me I like Blackberry hardware with Blackberry software.
    I guess BB10 devices aren't BlackBerry either since they're not running BBOS, the original BlackBerry OS. I guess a Samsung running Tizen or Windows is no longer Samsung either, cause shiit it's supposed to run android. Last time I checked the manufacturers name is on devices, not the operating system.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 05:14 PM
    I guess BB10 devices aren't BlackBerry either since they're not running BBOS, the original BlackBerry OS. I guess a Samsung running Tizen or Windows is no longer Samsung either, cause shiit it's supposed to run android. Last time I checked the manufacturers name is on devices, not the operating system.
    But BlackBerry did develop OS10. BlackBerry has little to no control over the workflow of Android on the Priv. The Hub is stuck-on, not baked in. The menus, navigation and UI are all Crapdroid.
    acovey likes this.
    11-06-15 05:28 PM
    But BlackBerry did develop OS10. BlackBerry has little to no control over the workflow of Android on the Priv. The Hub is stuck-on, not baked in. The menus, navigation and UI are all Crapdroid.
    They also developed their custom ROM for Android. Crapdroid? Seriously, all OS's have their advantages and disadvantages. Don't be ignorant like people are towards BB10.

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 likes this.
    11-06-15 05:50 PM
    They also developed their custom ROM for Android. Crapdroid? Seriously, all OS's have their advantages and disadvantages. Don't be ignorant like people are towards BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Any ignorance towards BB10 comes from people's prior misconceptions based on their experience with old OS6 and OS7 devices. Most who dismiss BB10 haven't used it. I however have had enough seat time with Android to know it's generally a poorly thought out OS with sub-par navigation.
    acovey likes this.
    11-06-15 05:57 PM
    Any ignorance towards BB10 comes from people's prior misconceptions based on their experience with old OS6 and OS7 devices. Most who dismiss BB10 haven't used it. I however have had enough seat time with Android to know it's generally a poorly thought out OS with sub-par navigation.
    I'd say it's also a result of constant media hammering of the brand but agreed. Fair enough, at least you're not one of those calling it Crapdroid because the slider isn't running BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:10 PM
    It would still be an Apple phone...using Android.

Like a Samsung phone...using Android.
    Like a LG phone...using Android.

If Apple or Samsung switched their software to BB10, they will not suddenly become Blackberries. They will be Apple or Samsung phones...using BB10.

Posted via CB10
    You define it your way and I will define it my way, it's still just an Android phone and maybe it's good enough for you BUT I prefer Blackberry hardware with Blackberry software.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    11-07-15 12:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Last time I checked BB10 was a BBOS and I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone with BB10 otherwise. Android is something people put in phones if they all want to be the same.
    11-07-15 12:35 AM
    In all fairness to the Priv, as far as the world goes, no one wanted BB10 either.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Not that carriers really cared to sell anybody looking at them.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 12:38 AM
    They've been pushing the superior product for 3 years now and it isn't getting them anywhere. I agree that bb10 is a better os. I left android to try something new and found something awesome. With that said, I was one of those that answered the poll with a no on an android BlackBerry. The more I watch this the more I'm leaning the other way. I'll probably end up with a Priv if Verizon carries it. I still prefer os 10, but if he want BlackBerry to be making ANY hardware after this, you better hope this thing makes them some money. I'm not buying a Priv at some point to do my part to save BlackBerry, but it DOES have things from bb10 in the os that I like. It looks like a quality device. Therefore I want one.

Let me ask you something. What is your favorite brand of vehicle? Ford? Chevy? Mitsubishi? Etc,etc. I'm asking this only to give you an example. Did you know that many car makers use parts made by other manufacturers? Ford does it. Chevy does it. Goodness knows dodge has for years. I'm sure other brands do too. Does that make it any less of the brand they say it is? If someone told you that your Ford has a Mitsubishi engine would you have a tantrum that it's not a Ford? Still a Ford, if ford made the product. Would you refuse to buy another one if they stopped making a model that you like? Just like Priv is still a BlackBerry. Guys I understand that you want to see bb10 go on. I do too, but the attitude you have is the same one I read from legacy bbos users about BlackBerry 10. That attitude is some of why we are at the android cross road. Just accept it, stop ********, and buy a Priv or don't.

Just my 2 cents. I'm as sick of threads like this as you apparently are of hearing about Priv.

Posted via CB10
    How has BlackBerry actually "pushed" BlackBerry10?

Posted via CB10
    acovey, Sparksx and moyah8 like this.
    11-07-15 12:43 AM
    Last time I checked BB10 was a BBOS and I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone with BB10 otherwise. Android is something people put in phones if they all want to be the same.
    My point was, when BB10 launched there were BBOS loyalists saying it wasn't a true BlackBerry phone anymore. When they took away the trackpad there were loyalists saying it wasn't BlackBerry phone anymore. Regardless of the OS, the fact of the matter is the name of the OS doesn't go on a phone, the name of the manufacturer does. No matter what it's running if BlackBerry is selling it as a Blackberry, it's a BlackBerry regardless of what your definition is. And if android was something people put in phones to all be the same, why would they go out of their way to make their own customized ROMS like TouchWiz, Sense etc? Nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 likes this.
    11-07-15 08:27 AM
    bad point, since when BlackBerry acquired QNX, they made it part of BlackBerry and named the operating system BB10 OS. they maintained exclusive development of it, though maybe not enough as of late.

android is not blackberry.

Posted via CBX
    ssbtech, acovey and Asvertus like this.
    11-07-15 09:25 AM
    seriously, enough articles about this phone already.
    we already took a poll, and no one cared for a blackberry that doesn't run bb10. I understand going after another market sector, but can we get back to the business of making blackberries, please?

Posted via CBX
    Well said. This is not a BlackBerry and if you think it is...put a Ferrari emblem on your Chevy and see how that works out.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    acovey and Asvertus like this.
    11-07-15 09:42 AM
    I'm reminded of something that Rene Ritchie and others have mentioned: don't confuse the product with the company.

Many believe that Microsoft's biggest mistake under the Ballmer era was assuming that the company is Windows. Everything had to be subservient to Windows, and if it wasn't, it had to die. Redmond sabotaged the Kin, killed the Courier, and otherwise wrecked good ideas simply because they were Not Windows. Heck, even the company's logo was changed to emphasize Windows. This strategy led to Microsoft's ultimate failure in mobile, since it was unwilling to make anything that challenged its old cash cow.

BlackBerry is not BB10 or any other version of the operating system. It's a mobile hardware and services provider that emphasizes communication and security above all else. It could use Android, Tizen or any other operating system it wanted, as long as it could achieve those goals. And I'd rather have BlackBerry thriving on Android than withering away out of (as Emerson put it) a foolish consistency.
    11-07-15 09:47 AM
    Listen people.... I think this is going to put Blackberry in the game. Great business move... But it is just another Android device and the reason there are so many Android devices is because they sell... BB10 didn't sell and almost put the company under
    11-07-15 10:10 AM
    So, what other newly released BlackBerry device should they be writing about?
    11-07-15 10:19 AM
    Looks like the shareholders care it rose above $8 since july

Has BlackBerry produced its final phone?
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/06/inve...oid/index.html

11-07-15 10:30 AM
    Looks like the shareholders care it rose above $8 since july

Has BlackBerry produced its final phone?
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/06/inve...oid/index.html

I hope not. I want a BB10 all touch version but with access to Google Play Stores, maybe a BlackBerry Stylus. NOTE5/BB10 hybrid, hehe.
    11-07-15 10:52 AM
171 1234 ...