On the new leaked OS, you can set the pinch gesture in the Hub to do various things - one of which is to view "Meeting invites". It should be "Meeting invitations".

"Invite" is the verb whereas "invitation" is the noun.

Please can someone at BlackBerry change this - for such a perfect and phone, it's a shame to have a spelling mistake on the OS.

Posted via CB10
    joejuck likes this.
    11-18-13 03:26 PM
    On the new leaked OS, you can set the pinch gesture in the Hub to do various things - one of which is to view "Meeting invites". It should be "Meeting invitations".

"Invite" is the verb whereas "invitation" is the noun.

Please can someone at BlackBerry change this - for such a perfect and phone, it's a shame to have a spelling mistake on the OS.

Posted via CB10
    From Merriam-Webster:

in�vite noun \ˈin-ˌvīt\
    Definition of INVITE

: invitation 1
    See invite defined for English-language learners �

Examples of INVITE
    Did you send out the invites to the party?

First Known Use of INVITE: 1659
    joejuck and Pdinos3 like this.
    11-18-13 03:29 PM
    It might have become bastardised, but the vast majority of dictionaries state that you send an "invitation".

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...-vs-invitation

All in-house Style Guides make this point, too.

It's not the biggest issue in the world but it would be nice to stick with the proper usage - it's not as if there isn't room for "invitation" to be written out in full, after all...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 03:35 PM
    It's generally accepted vernacular. This is how the English language evolves. It's not correct, but it's reality.

Do you email your colleagues, or do you send them electronic mail?
    Gatmyer likes this.
    11-18-13 04:12 PM
    I email. I also split infinitives, use slang, use "hopefully" wrongly and get all sorts of other things wrong every day. I use generally-accepted vernacular.

But when it comes to writing a formal letter, printing instructions for a product, painting a sign or producing some other permanent record, I'd take a bit more care.

That's all I'm saying.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) and LyoobaBerry like this.
    11-18-13 04:20 PM
    I email. I also split infinitives, use slang, use "hopefully" wrongly and get all sorts of other things wrong every day. I use generally-accepted vernacular.

But when it comes to writing a formal letter, printing instructions for a product, painting a sign or producing some other permanent record, I'd take a bit more care.

That's all I'm saying.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent point. It bothers me too. I see this "language dumbing down" happening everywhere in formal documents, instructions and the like. The worst part is when someone complains, most people don't get the point and believe that as long as you "kind of" get what they are trying to say, it does not matter how horribly they express themselves. Your ability to express precise instructions is pretty important to me and says a lot about you or your company.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-18-13 04:36 PM
    Excellent point. It bothers me too. I see this "language dumbing down" happening everywhere in formal documents, instructions and the like. The worst part is when someone complains, most people don't get the point and believe that as long as you "kind of" get what they are trying to say, it does not matter how horribly they express themselves. Your ability to express precise instructions is pretty important to me and says a lot about you or your company.
    And this dumbing-down becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We might as well say: "Everyone else gets it wrong, so it can't be wrong."

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 04:46 PM
    And this dumbing-down becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We might as well say: "Everyone else gets it wrong, so it can't be wrong."

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that how the "correct" way to do things came about? The majority of people agreed how things would be done, and and I consider everyone doing them "wrong" a form of them all agreeing.

It's all about perspective. :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:30 PM
    Isn't that how the "correct" way to do things came about? The majority of people agreed how things would be done, and and I consider everyone doing them "wrong" a form of them all agreeing.

It's all about perspective. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Yes - I agree to an extent, in the long term. But that doesn't mean we should rush to change things when it is unnecessary to do so.

And in this particular example, most authorities (such as most dictionaries, The Economist style guide etc) still differentiate between "invitation" and "invite".

As I've said, it's not the number one issue in the world, but it would be nice to get it right.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 02:30 AM
    It might have become bastardised, but the vast majority of dictionaries state that you send an "invitation".

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...-vs-invitation

All in-house Style Guides make this point, too.

It's not the biggest issue in the world but it would be nice to stick with the proper usage - it's not as if there isn't room for "invitation" to be written out in full, after all...

Posted via CB10
    Same.with FORUMS. It should be FORA, But we've come to accept it anyway.

Z10 STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    11-19-13 03:45 AM
    Yeah...it is sad. Also people use "nauseous" when they should use "nauseated".

"Nauseous" means "to cause nausea". Whereas, "Nauseated" means "to suffer from nausea".

I just roll my eyes when it is used incorrectly because I'm a pratt and better than everyone else. XD

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip, though!
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-19-13 05:02 AM
    The use of "invite" for "invitation" is something that I find annoying, but I guess I'm a little uptight.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 05:43 AM
    What's next? Spelling lose with 2 o's and shooting video in vertical mode?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 06:54 AM
    English is a difficult language to use correctly. It's my second language and there is so much that makes no sense at all. I guess I'm sensitive to the misuse of it because I have tried so hard to figure it out. Things like starting a sentence with "So...." or the use of the non-existent word, "alot" instead of "a lot", drives me nuts. It kind of keeps me from taking anything said after that seriously.
    k3cub likes this.
    11-19-13 09:48 AM
    English is a difficult language to use correctly. It's my second language and there is so much that makes no sense at all. I guess I'm sensitive to the misuse of it because I have tried so hard to figure it out. Things like starting a sentence with "So...." or the use of the non-existent word, "alot" instead of "a lot", drives me nuts. It kind of keeps me from taking anything said after that seriously.
    English is a very difficult language to learn, and I'm forever in awe of people who learn it as a second language.

Too often, it puts the native English speakers to shame.

All the more reason why BB10 - which is such a high-quality product is so many ways - should get things absolutely spot on.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:04 AM

That's all I'm saying.

Posted via CB10
    jst wayt,,, n 10 yrs ths iz wat th inglsh riteng wil lok lyk...
    David in Durham and awindsr like this.
    11-19-13 10:14 AM
    English is a very difficult language to learn, and I'm forever in awe of people who learn it as a second language.

Too often, it puts the native English speakers to shame.

All the more reason why BB10 - which is such a high-quality product is so many ways - should get things absolutely spot on.

Posted via CB10
    true,,, when speaking to people from outside the U.S., most will say it's the toughest language to learn because of all the slangs, synonyms, & such...
    11-19-13 10:15 AM
    Apostrophe s.

Thing's
    Monday's

Has anyone else noticed that BlackBerry's predictive text is removing the apostrophe? Or, is it only my Z10 doing it?
    11-19-13 10:39 AM
    Never had that problem.

Z10 STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    11-19-13 11:44 AM
    Apostrophe s.

Thing's
    Monday's

Has anyone else noticed that BlackBerry's predictive text is removing the apostrophe? Or, is it only my Z10 doing it?
    It learns from how you write. I myself never type the apostrophes when I type. If it doesn't autocorrect it, I backspace and fix it. Do that twice, and it'll correct it every time from then on. The problem arises when I type words like "it's" and "its". If I want "its", it keeps autocorrecting to "it's". The solution is to just tap the word in the predictions bar above the keyboard for these ambiguous cases instead of pressing space (I have a Q10).

Here's a trick for all you Q'ers: On the home screen, search for "On-Screen Keyboard". This option is hidden in Settings because the Qs don't have on-screen keyboards, but one part of it still works.
    English, please-img_00000467.png

The feedback volume doesn't do anything, but the Vibrate on correction works, and I find it useful because I'm waiting for that vibration when I expect it to autocorrect, otherwise I might miss it when it doesn't.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    11-19-13 12:00 PM
    It learns from how you write. I myself never type the apostrophes when I type.
    Since we are on the subject of english.......... Isn't saying "I never type the apostrophes when I type" enough of a sentence? Why do people add, "I myself"? Isn't it taken for granted that if you say "I...." you are meaning yourself and not "I my next door neighbor"? I think we've all done it but it is fascinating because there is no need to include the word "myself" when saying "I". I've noticed that many people also say, "Ink pen". As opposed to what? Paint pen? Water pen? What other kinds of pens are there?

BTW, when I type on-board keyboard into my Q, I get the "Language and Input" menu which doesn't have any option for keyboard feedback. Maybe it's because I am not on 10.2.
    11-19-13 12:37 PM
    Since we are on the subject of english.......... Isn't saying "I never type the apostrophes when I type" enough of a sentence? Why do people add, "I myself"? Isn't it taken for granted that if you say "I...." you are meaning yourself and not "I my next door neighbor"? I think we've all done it but it is fascinating because there is no need to include the word "myself" when saying "I". I've noticed that many people also say, "Ink pen". As opposed to what? Paint pen? Water pen? What other kinds of pens are there?

BTW, when I type on-board keyboard into my Q, I get the "Language and Input" menu which doesn't have any option for keyboard feedback. Maybe it's because I am not on 10.2.
    Because I am emphasising the "I". On CrackBerry.com especially, people seem to take stated opinions as if you'd stated it as fact unless it's made really clear. I suppose there should really be commas around it, like this: "I, myself, never type the...". Really, however, you are wholly correct.

"Ink pen" (id est, ballpoint pen) because there are permanent marker style pens, felt-tip pens, fountain pens, and so on. Plus, in some geographical areas, a pen is any writing utensil, so they have to differentiate somehow.

Type "on-screen keyboard", not "on-board keyboard". It might be new to 10.2.1.1055, I don't know.

English, please-img_00000468.png

11-19-13 12:51 PM

I also here some people say "to the fullest potential". Isn't "full" already indicating an amount at its maximum? If there's a word "fullest", then there must also be "fuller", which is so wrong, because "Full" is already superlative in form, thus, there's no need for "fullest".

Z10 STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    11-19-13 02:52 PM
    Because I am emphasising the "I". On CrackBerry.com especially, people seem to take stated opinions as if you'd stated it as fact unless it's made really clear. I suppose there should really be commas around it, like this: "I, myself, never type the...". Really, however, you are wholly correct.

"Ink pen" (id est, ballpoint pen) because there are permanent marker style pens, felt-tip pens, fountain pens, and so on. Plus, in some geographical areas, a pen is any writing utensil, so they have to differentiate somehow.

Saying "I never type apostrophes when I type" is a fact. People on CrackBerry should take that statement as a fact not an opinion. Putting commas "around it" makes no sense either. In essence, by saying "I, myself" you are saying "I" twice when there is no need to do so.

Permanent marker pens, felt tip pens and fountain pens are all ink pens. How are you differentiating between them by stating "ink pen"?
    What geographical area uses the word "pen" to mean any writing utensil?
    11-19-13 03:50 PM
    Details details. Minutiae minutiae.

Focus on the BlackBerry OS10 please.
    11-19-13 09:49 PM
37 12