SIM cards hold very limited data - really just names and phone numbers. And if I remember correctly, there might be a 100 entry limit. So, yeah, you will need a better solution.
    WES51 and ppeters914 like this.
    01-26-19 04:30 PM
    This pushes an SQLite3 format as a backup. Idk of an android app that could recover from that exactly but there might be one. Pretty excellent app.
    Check out Produktyf CRM in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/93991

Posted via CB10
    01-26-19 07:01 PM
    I had issues with Google Contact Sync but I got it working. Change the URL from google.com to https://www.googleapis.com/carddav/v1/principals/*YOUR EMAIL* If you log in too many times it might stop you from logging in again for an hour or so.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and WES51 like this.
    01-27-19 03:53 PM
    My original idea was to avoid syncing via cloud services, but it appears there may be no other 'simple' way.

Question: I assume Microsoft ActiveSync would NOT need BBID and would continue to work as the account setup appears in BB10 accounts.

So would that be a viable sync solution even post BBID days?
    01-28-19 10:28 AM
    My original idea was to avoid syncing via cloud services, but it appears there may be no other 'simple' way.

Question: I assume Microsoft ActiveSync would NOT need BBID and would continue to work as the account setup appears in BB10 accounts.

I use sync with MS exchange (active sync?). Used it since my symbian days. Reliable and nicely working.

Wasn't really answering your question, but hard to see it would need bbid. It's just an account as whichever other.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-28-19 10:46 AM

Yes....with the minor caveat that theoretically Microsoft could change something in the ActiveSync protocol. But considering how many other things that would break, I find it extremely unlikely they would do so.

ActiveSync is of course entirely unrelated to Blackberry ID and will work whether or not you have one.

I don't know if you have or want to get a NAS WES, but there are some of those that have contact sync and export features via CardDAV. That gives you the benefits of "the cloud" while still having your data under your control.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-28-19 03:03 PM
    ...I don't know if you have or want to get a NAS WES,...
    Sorry, what is a NAS?
    01-28-19 09:18 PM
    Sorry, what is a NAS?
    network attached storage

Its complete overkill for this situation honestly. Your best bet is to pay for office 365 or google apps which is the most secure cloud based option with minimal to no data mining.
    WES51 and ppeters914 like this.
    01-28-19 09:27 PM

Unless Microsoft changes the APIs for ActiveSync or something else breaks between ActiveSync and the MS Exchange server software, I think BB10 will continue to sync just fine. BBID has nothing to do with ActiveSync.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-28-19 10:02 PM
    Sorry, what is a NAS?
    WES, since you've previously stated you want to avoid the cloud, I'm guessing Google Apps or Office 365 will not work for you.

NAS is indeed Network Attached Storage, as howarmat says. These are essentially hard drives in a box with a network connection that usually include an OS with many native capabilities and third-party apps. They can, among other things:

--Allow you to host your own contacts and sync via CardDAV.
    --Allow you to host your own calendar and sync via CalDAV.
    --Give you a centralized place to store files that are accessible over the Internet from any device.
    --Provide a central media-sharing platform to watch your movies and listen to music.

The two main manufacturers of NAS devices are Synology and QNAP; their basic devices run for $150-$200. Worth checking into if any of this sounds appealing.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-28-19 10:18 PM
    WES, since you've previously stated you want to avoid the cloud, I'm guessing Google Apps or Office 365 will not work for you.

NAS is indeed Network Attached Storage, as howarmat says. These are essentially hard drives in a box with a network connection that usually include an OS with many native capabilities and third-party apps. They can, among other things:

--Allow you to host your own contacts and sync via CardDAV.
    --Allow you to host your own calendar and sync via CalDAV.
    --Give you a centralized place to store files that are accessible over the Internet from any device.
    --Provide a central media-sharing platform to watch your movies and listen to music.

The two main manufacturers of NAS devices are Synology and QNAP; their basic devices run for $150-$200. Worth checking into if any of this sounds appealing.

Posted via CB10
    I use Western Digital MyCloud - served me well for 4 years now.
    01-28-19 11:24 PM
    OMG, we're trying to cross the street with a spaceship here. lol.
    01-28-19 11:35 PM
    OMG, we're trying to cross the street with a spaceship here. lol.
    Yeah, lol, I am getting off topic and not really suggesting that the OP gets a WD Mc for his solution, just responding to TT.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-19 11:47 PM
    Yeah, lol, I am getting off topic and not really suggesting that the OP gets a WD Mc for his solution, just responding to TT.

Posted via CB10
    My comment was directed to the entire line of discussion.
    01-28-19 11:48 PM
    OK. So it seems like I finally figured out how to start and run Darcy's. I was able to make a backup.

Does this mean all phone settings, contacts and calendar were backed up? No tasks/notes backup. Correct?

I have to experiment with this more this weekend. Now it is mid week and I'm home for just a few hours at the end of each long work day. So I need the phone and can't mess around much now.
    01-31-19 12:20 AM
    For just a contact backup to get either .csv or .vcf, I have used ContactsImEx from BB World on my Passport. I didn't need it to transfer contacts to my key2 since I used Content Transfer, but for Android Import Export Contacts looks like it would do the same thing. I don't know about the ads though, can't remember.
    01-31-19 01:08 AM
    If it was me, I would do one of the following to transfer contacts:

1) Create a free outlook.com account and sync all contacts, then export from that account to a standard format. Then delete the Oytlook.com account .

2) If I wanted to ensure my data was 100% private, I would set up a trial office 365 business account with Cloud Exchange and sync that way. It's more work, but it's private and secure.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-31-19 09:16 AM
    So it appears that Darcy's can not restore a backup of a BBID phone to a non-BBID phone.

Additionally it appears that Darcy's is unable to create a 'device settings & local contacts & calendar' backup of a non-BBID phone. At least I'm getting an error message "backup failed" ifI try to test-backup a BBID-less fresh phone.

Can someone please confirm this?
    02-09-19 07:13 PM
    You have a couple of options here.

You can use the content transfer for your contacts. It works very well for that.

You could also back up your contacts with an App found in BlackBerry World and then restore your contacts with an App found in the Play Store.

I'm like you. I don't want anything in the cloud, I'm meticulous about my contacts. I back them up every other month to my memory card and I like to wipe my phones every 6 months or so to keep them running fresh.

The only other tip I have is, when you try to restore your contacts, you may need to move the file into the new app's folder for it to read it.
    WES51 likes this.
    02-11-19 02:23 PM
    So it appears that Darcy's can not restore a backup of a BBID phone to a non-BBID phone.

Additionally it appears that Darcy's is unable to create a 'device settings & local contacts & calendar' backup of a non-BBID phone. At least I'm getting an error message "backup failed" ifI try to test-backup a BBID-less fresh phone.

Can someone please confirm this?
    Sorry WES--this is absolutely correct. No Blackberry desktop backup program--Link, Darcy's, or Sachesi--can back up or restore without the use of a Blackberry ID.

However, Ultimate Backup does indeed back up these items, so that would be the solution for the time being. I'm working on a more permanent solution in the event Blackberry ID servers go down, but at the moment the native apps are the "cloudless" option for backups without the need for a Blackberry ID.
    WES51 likes this.
    02-11-19 02:36 PM
    Many thanks for the suggestions.

@surgeon1919, I have tried so many Android Apps with limited success. Which one would successfully restore Contacts and preferrably Calendar and Notes as well.

@TrumpetTiger, I was able get in contact with RuniSoft and purchase UltimateBackup. Would you think I would be able to 'extract' UltimateBackup with Darcy's tool and then sideload it back into my subsequent BBID-cleared phone? I'm afraid not, but I'm asking anyway just to have this angle covered as well.

I'm looking for an outcome where I can backup and restore my BBID-less phone contacts and calendar (maybe even notes) without having to go to the cloud.
    02-11-19 05:33 PM

@surgeon1919, I have tried so many Android Apps with limited success. Which one would successfully restore Contacts and preferrably Calendar and Notes as well.

@TrumpetTiger, I was able get in contact with RuniSoft and purchase UltimateBackup. Would you think I would be able to 'extract' UltimateBackup with Darcy's tool and then sideload it back into my subsequent BBID-cleared phone? I'm afraid not, but I'm asking anyway just to have this angle covered as well.

I'm looking for an outcome where I can backup and restore my BBID-less phone contacts and calendar (maybe even notes) without having to go to the cloud.
    If you are able to extract UltimateBackup, please let us know how WES (preferably by PM)...that would be an awesome thing to be able to do.

Unfortunately there is no known way to extract .BARs from backups or devices. There are possible solutions floating around but none which enable that functionality specifically. I do plan to check in with Runisoft on their plans for when Blackberry World shuts down--I suspect they will provide the .BAR file in some way, which would allow sideloading and thus use of the app with BBID-less phones.

We may want to take this discussion off the thread WES, but I again urge you to consider a NAS if you'd like to have the benefits of the cloud without sending your data there. You could run your own CardDAV and CalDAV server and back up/sync your contacts and calendar that way locally without having to use anyone else's storage.
    02-11-19 05:55 PM
    @TrumpetTiger, I agree on all points. Also ultimately after Blackberry World shuts down RuniSoft ought to provide their .BAR file. How else would they monetize the last bit of it at that point.
    02-11-19 06:07 PM
    Need recommendations:

GOOGLE SYNC DOES NOT WORK, I tried. I'm also no fan of syncing up my contacts to anywhere cloudy.

I plan to soon go BBID less (and of course BlackBerry World less)

For this purpose, I'm looking for a
    SIMPLE - NO ADS - ANDROID
    based contact backup app that creates a .VCF file.

I plan to keep the app as APK on the SD card and every once in a while temporarily install it and run it, to back up my contacts as .VCF cards.

I checked, my Classic can by default reinstall Contacts from .VCF cards. So in the event of any issues, reloading the OS with an autoloader will all that be needed to clean house. Then the .VCF contacts from the SD card can be installed by Classic.
    I've been using InTouch: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...net.IntouchApp

It syncs to the cloud and you can import and export to VCF format.
    02-11-19 06:13 PM

Your best option I think is Ghost Commander File Manager to export your Contacts to a vCard file. Its very easy and the app is very light I have used it for years.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-19 06:44 PM
59 123