Need recommendations:

GOOGLE SYNC DOES NOT WORK, I tried. I'm also no fan of syncing up my contacts to anywhere cloudy.

I plan to soon go BBID less (and of course BlackBerry World less)

For this purpose, I'm looking for a
    SIMPLE - NO ADS - ANDROID
    based contact backup app that creates a .VCF file.

I plan to keep the app as APK on the SD card and every once in a while temporarily install it and run it, to back up my contacts as .VCF cards.

I checked, my Classic can by default reinstall Contacts from .VCF cards. So in the event of any issues, reloading the OS with an autoloader will all that be needed to clean house. Then the .VCF contacts from the SD card can be installed by Classic.
    Last edited by WES51; 01-23-19 at 04:32 PM.
    01-23-19 03:40 PM
    I don't understand. Why does it have to be an Android app? If you want VCF file(s) there are plenty of capable native apps. Unless I'm missing something?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-19 05:10 PM
    My goal is to have no BBID on the phone, so won't be able to use any App World apps any longer.

So in this instance, I narrowed down my needs for ONE single android contact backup app.
    01-23-19 06:42 PM
    My goal is to have no BBID on the phone, so won't be able to use any App World apps any longer.

So in this instance, I narrowed down my needs for ONE single android contact backup app.
    Are you okay with sideloaded native apps WES? Pretty sure Ultimate Backup can do VCFs, and it's available without any Blackberry ID or Blackberry World required.
    01-23-19 10:27 PM
    Are you okay with sideloaded native apps WES? Pretty sure Ultimate Backup can do VCFs, and it's available without any Blackberry ID or Blackberry World required.
    Many thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes, I would love that!

Indeed I have already checked out their (RuniSoft) website and almost went along with their to pay first and then receive instructions.

Would you say they will send me their BAR file?

So far I only heard of side loading BAR files, but have never tried.

In addition I would be interested in sideloading other native productivity type apps too.
    01-23-19 11:11 PM
    Many thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes, I would love that!

Indeed I have already checked out their (RuniSoft) website and almost went along with their to pay first and then receive instructions.

Would you say they will send me their BAR file?

So far I only heard of side loading BAR files, but have never tried.

In addition I would be interested in sideloading other native productivity type apps too.
    Sideloading is definitely an awesome way to keep native apps going. I'm in the process of reaching out to developers to see if they will help facilitate this process.

Runisoft will send you a link to download the BAR file yes. They provide full support and are definitely worth it if you find value in the functionality.

NOTE: STAY AWAY FROM NEMORY STUDIOS' APPS!!!! Nemory is an exception to the general rule that BB10 developers (and users) are a friendly bunch who will not try and scam you. Nemory runs a third-party website where he posts Android apps as "for Blackberry 10" and then charges people once for the free web wrapper "app" and once again for the "premium" version.

If you download either Sachesi:

https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases

or Darcy's Blackberry Tools:

https://mega.co.nz/#!pUtXzRhI!rhTSel...nVqRm3Mxb4DzB8

you should be able to sideload with no trouble. Of course let us know if you run into any issues and we'll be happy to help.

As for other apps, the basic productivity ones (Remember, Docs to Go, etc.) come with the OS and so will be available via autoloader. Third-party apps would need to be released by developers, which can be difficult at this stage...but I'm working on it.
    01-23-19 11:17 PM
    Many thanks for all the info. I will do all that.

As far as your project goes, I can only assure you that I would be ready to pay for those native apps. So that makes at least one person who would pay, but others might be just as interested as well.

By the way, money is not the reason for me not to upgrade to KEY2. So I'm not using Classic based on economy. And that is the reason why I would have no problem spending money on a few needed good native apps.
    01-23-19 11:28 PM
    I agree with everything Mssr. T. Tiger says and would only add that for sideloading you can also look at a Chrome extension to add the. BAR files. All options are pretty easy though.

OP: I am surprised that Google contact sync doesn't work for you. I am logged in to a Gmail account that I use exclusively for calendar and contact sync. Only last week did I add a contact on my work Motion and it came straight up on my Passport. But if you're not a fan, then you're not a fan and that's your business. Managing through VCF import/export is a perfectly good alternative.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    01-24-19 04:09 AM

What do you mean by that? Turning off BBID doesn't make your apps to not work. You won't be able to reinstall them if needed, but that's another story.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 08:48 AM
    What do you mean by that? Turning off BBID doesn't make your apps to not work. You won't be able to reinstall them if needed, but that's another story.

Posted via CB10
    Preparing for any unfavorable End of Life scenarios, I'm trying to ditch link and stop further relying on any existing BlackBerry Cloud based services.

I'm was under the impression that the only way to remove BBID is to reload the OS, in which case the native apps would be deleted. Is this incorrect? Further would the native apps be not be deleted in the event that I reload the OS with an autoloader?

By the way, would an autoloader even work on Windows 10 or would I need Windows 7?
    @TrumpetTiger, I just PayPal'd RuniSoft $9.99 for Ultimate Backup and waiting for the eMail with the instructions as they have promised on their website. I also remember contacting them a few days ago via this forum's PM but have not heard back from them yet. I report back.
    01-25-19 01:29 PM
    Not sure why there is a need for any apps. Doesn't the contacts app have the ability to export contact as vcf file as well?
    01-25-19 01:49 PM
    BlackBerry 10 contact app exporting .vcf file? Not to my knowledge, but I may be missing something. If you know how, please let me know.
    01-25-19 01:53 PM
    Preparing for any unfavorable End of Life scenarios, I'm trying to ditch link and stop further relying on any existing BlackBerry Cloud based services.

I'm was under the impression that the only way to remove BBID is to reload the OS, in which case the native apps would be deleted. Is this incorrect? Further would the native apps be not be deleted in the event that I reload the OS with an autoloader?

By the way, would an autoloader even work on Windows 10 or would I need Windows 7?
    @TrumpetTiger, I just PayPal'd RuniSoft $9.99 for Ultimate Backup and waiting for the eMail with the instructions as they have promised on their website. I also remember contacting them a few days ago via this forum's PM but have not heard back from them yet. I report back.
    You may deselect blackberry protect without running an autoloader AFAIK. It has to be turned off in you mobile phone and then on blackberry protect website. That would not have any impact on your apps.

However, in case you need to reload the OS you have no possibility to download or restore these apps. Then you have to rely on the stock apps and/or Android apps.

Let me know if I am wrong !
    01-25-19 02:01 PM

Hey Wes,

You are correct in that any third-party native apps would be deleted if you use an autoloader, and that that is the only way to remove a Blackberry ID (you would then not set one up when going through device setup after the autoloader completes. Stock native apps (such as Calendar, Remember, Password Keeper, etc.) are part of the autoloader and would be set up as part of that process.

Autoloaders do work with Windows 10 as well as Windows 7.

Be sure to keep an eye on spam or junk folders for the e-mail from Runisoft as it could easily get routed there. They are fairly responsive so I'd imagine you'll hear back today or Monday. If you don't let me know.

As far as PMs through Crackberry, I'm not sure how closely they monitor that as one has to directly set e-mail alerts to know when one has a PM, so that may be less reliable than directly contacting them through their site.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-25-19 02:13 PM
    You may deselect blackberry protect without running an autoloader AFAIK. It has to be turned off in you mobile phone and then on blackberry protect website. That would not have any impact on your apps.

However, in case you need to reload the OS you have no possibility to download or restore these apps. Then you have to rely on the stock apps and/or Android apps.

Let me know if I am wrong !
    mikael, you are correct as it relates to Blackberry Protect but WES was asking about Blackberry ID. The two are a little different as it relates to how one turns them off.

You're also correct as it relates to apps downloaded from Blackberry World (if that source is no longer available), and that if one has disabled Blackberry ID there is no way of restoring these apps via backup. However, one can always sideload native apps via Sachesi or other tools if one has the bar file available. Some developers are starting to make their apps available through other sources (or just releasing them openly) to allow the remaining BB10 faithful to use them this way.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-25-19 02:16 PM
    mikael, you are correct as it relates to Blackberry Protect but WES was asking about Blackberry ID. The two are a little different as it relates to how one turns them off.

You're also correct as it relates to apps downloaded from Blackberry World (if that source is no longer available), and that if one has disabled Blackberry ID there is no way of restoring these apps via backup. However, one can always sideload native apps via Sachesi or other tools if one has the bar file available. Some developers are starting to make their apps available through other sources (or just releasing them openly) to allow the remaining BB10 faithful to use them this way.
    Yes, ok I understand. Of course to use the phone without bbid will not make it possible to use native apps if not sideloading. I guess I just figured that to be an unnecessary first step IF bbid server turns off.
    01-25-19 02:34 PM
    @TrumpetTiger, RuniSoft has responded.

They have provided me with a promo code and download information to download from BackBerry World. Unfortunately in our following eMail correspondece, they also told me that this is the only way that I can download Ultimate Backup, so they do not offer any sideloading option.

So I guess it has to be an Android contacts backup after all - I'm still looking.

In the meantime I have checked out a lot of Android Contact backups. Most of the are full of Ads or too large, which is of course not my thing.

I wonder if tne native android contact app could be extracted with APK Extractor. Because that app has a built-in way to save contacts.
    01-25-19 08:50 PM
    @TrumpetTiger, RuniSoft has responded.

They have provided me with a promo code and download information to download from BackBerry World. Unfortunately in our following eMail correspondece, they also told me that this is the only way that I can download Ultimate Backup, so they do not offer any sideloading option.

So I guess it has to be an Android contacts backup after all - I'm still looking.

In the meantime I have checked out a lot of Android Contact backups. Most of the are full of Ads or too large, which is of course not my thing.

I wonder if tne native android contact app could be extracted with APK Extractor. Because that app has a built-in way to save contacts.
    I wouldn't count Ultimate Backup out yet WES. I suspect there will be a way of side loading that when the time comes, and plan to pursue the matter with Runisoft.

However, to answer your immediate problem: is there a reason you couldn't just use the native Contacts app to back your contacts up to your SIM card? Or for that matter share them from the native app to any Android-based cloud storage app you choose?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 09:01 PM
    However, to answer your immediate problem: is there a reason you couldn't just use the native Contacts app to back your contacts up to your SIM card?
    Well as far as the cloud goes, I'm trying to avoid it.

As far as the native contact app, does it have a feature to save contacts? That would really solve all my issues.
    01-25-19 09:15 PM
    Well as far as the cloud goes, I'm trying to avoid it.

As far as the native contact app, does it have a feature to save contacts? That would really solve all my issues.
    It does if you don't mind storing them on your SIM card. Swipe down from the top of the Contacts app, go to Settings, scroll down, then select Copy From Device To SIM Card.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 09:25 PM
    I have to check on that. Tbough I doubt it will work because I have over 500 contacts AND I use the contact cards note field for tonns of other information. So it may be too much data for the SIM.
    01-25-19 09:29 PM
    I have checked/testedout a few Android Device Switch Apps:

- Content Transfer (by BlackBerry but for Android)
    -Smart Switch (by Samsung)
    - LG Mobile Switch (by LG)

Neither one can detect the SD-Card.

A sideloaded native Blackberry 10 version of Contact Transfer could be very interesting.

Does anyone have that as BAR file?
    Last edited by WES51; 01-26-19 at 05:49 PM.
    01-26-19 03:22 PM
    I have to check on that. Tbough I doubt it will work because I have over 500 contacts AND I use the contact cards note field for tonns of other information. So it may be too much data for the SIM.
    You could store 500 books on a modest SIM card, so unless you have extensive audio or Video files, the SIM card should work well for backup and manual sync.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-26-19 03:30 PM
    I just confirmed that I have more than 5K contacts in my phone, with extensive notes and custom fields, and the total storage is less than 70MB.

WES51 likes this.
    01-26-19 03:34 PM
    I just confirmed that I have more than 5K contacts in my phone, with extensive notes and custom fields, and the total storage is less than 70MB.

Cool. So would you be able to store all those on the SIM?
    01-26-19 04:07 PM
59 123