I fail to see how this is news, or a surprise. The warning bell has been sounding for a long time. Some are just deaf.
    You just closed my thread on this same exact topic, just so we can all go reply here? I dont understand...

Posted via CB10 on the Classic
    01-29-16 07:27 AM
    So basically, no news.
    I stick to my - forever now - statement : Until BlackBerry gains the same security agreement levels with Android than their other OSes, BB10 will go nowhere.
    You can tell me that the recent EMM suite (BES&Good & al powered) is close, really close.
    I'll agree without pain nor discussion (hey, I even applause !). But close is not equal.

So, make your bets, revise past time frames when "all was good out of the box" or the likes (BB10 / DOD) and then, try to forecasts BB10 official EOL, then official end of support ... We're talking years. Whatever the scenario. Loving your BB10 ? Keep it in good shape (or find a spare use one for the dime) and enjoy until you feel the need/envy to change. Very likely before BB10 stops blinking on the radar.

P.S: It's no excuse or anything, more a "set your calendar" with the proper pace ...
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    01-29-16 07:38 AM
    iPhone 7 should be out by the time BlackBerry kills it's own OS for the Android. They won't be forcing me over to their Android powered crap.

Posted via CB10
    gmsm likes this.
    01-29-16 07:45 AM
    I think the key quotation is:

�If we stop selling, then the government that relies on them would be in a fix,� he said. The company plans to transform these governments and authorities with new Android devices going ahead.

�Essentially, there is a transition which is happening, wherein the company is looking to get certifications and clearances from these governments for the Android-powered BlackBerry smartphone,� he added.

This tells us nothing about the "when", since nobody can predict these things, but it tells us exactly where BlackBerry is going to focus most of it's efforts: Building an Android that its high-security clients can transition to. That's the roadmap. BlackBerry is staking its phone business on it.

I agree that it's not exactly news, but when regional reps make public statements like this, it's a pretty clear indicator of where BlackBerry wants to go, whether or not they are able to get there.
    01-29-16 08:08 AM
    And as punishment for letting those comments slip, Chen will put him in charge of clearing all remaining BB10 inventory,.. while making him personally foot the bill for any negative margin.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 08:23 AM
    Worst then just stopping this is the indirect message that is sent to BB users. Which is,whatever we release and say is great product may not be around for more then couple of years... e.g. playbook,BB10....Android BB? Why not?

So my dear z30 will be my last BB phone. Sick and tired in believing in them more then they do ...
    01-29-16 08:57 AM
    So, make your bets, revise past time frames when "all was good out of the box" or the likes (BB10 / DOD) and then, try to forecasts BB10 official EOL, then official end of support ... We're talking years.
    Depending on how you look at it. It also means that most all of the BlackBerry 10 development team has been reassigned or laid off already.
    LuisCast likes this.
    01-29-16 09:00 AM
    Well, for now this is not possible and i don't see this possible soon in future. BlackBerry 10 is still secure and more powerful than Android.
    I understand your worries, but for now BB10 is still here and is still a very incredible OS. If we stay united, we can still enjoy our favorite OS. By supporting third party developers and community.

But with also Windows Phone in trouble there is really a bad future Windows Phone is dead | The Verge
    Google wanted protect us from a future where one company, one operating system dominate the global market. Now who will protect us from Android and Google?
    Say what you want, but I am glad it's Google in a commanding position in mobile and not Microsoft. Of course BB being up there would have been good, but I don't want a world where Microsoft dominates both desktop and mobile market.
    01-29-16 09:31 AM
    Say what you want, but I am glad it's Google in a commanding position in mobile and not Microsoft. Of course BB being up there would have been good, but I don't want a world where Microsoft dominates both desktop and mobile market.
    You don't think its worse that Google dominates the internet? Microsoft dominates only in desktop software, Google, Gmail, Youtube is the predominate home page/search provider/web mail/Video streaming service.
    01-29-16 09:36 AM
    Absolutely nothing new here. Perhaps the surprise should have been that they will continue to make and sell BB10 devices at all. And support them. And heck, they are now (apparently) still making hardware *period* into the foreseeable future. Could be a lot worse. But of course, it always is a lot worse...to a pundit!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 09:40 AM
    Maybe I should trade in my 2.5-year old Toyota Camry since it has not been "updated" and even though it works like a charm and the driving experience remains top notch

Seriously though, I don't get all this hand wringing over BBRY inevitably moving on from BB10. I love the OS and think the Passport is a wonderful phone that should last me for a while. Right now it does just about everything I want a phone to do. Could the OS be improved? Of course! However, the market has spoken and it prefers iOS and Android. BBRY brought its girl to the dance and few noticed. Unfortunately, it needs a "head turner" to survive in the handset business and if that means the PRIV, or something else, then so be it. Life goes on.
    01-29-16 09:43 AM
    You don't think its worse that Google dominates the internet? Microsoft dominates only in desktop software, Google, Gmail, Youtube is the predominate home page/search provider/web mail/Video streaming service.
    Hmm, i was mainly thinking of mobile vs desktop OSs, but you do have a point. For the OS part, for me Google having large market share in mobile is clearly better than Microsoft.

For the web part, I have a hard time deciding, because Google clearly has good services. Gmail won by ofering 1GB storage space when everybody else was offering 25MB. I think Google actually helped advance web technologies quite well. I also think, if not for Google, Microsoft wouldn't have started inovating again. Right now (in my opinnion), Microsoft and Google have the best online services available. Actually I think Android is their "worst" successful project.
    01-29-16 09:49 AM
    I spoke to someone today who knows someone that works there, and he said the Priv may straight up be the last phone they make.

Despite the rumours of the Vienna, they may just kill of all projects.

Posted via -sigh- Priv. Guess we have to get used to Android guys....
    I'm not seeing this as a far-fetched scenario. Realistically, the PRIV isn't selling like hotcakes. Updates are slow to come (where is Marshmallow?), the QC on the device is abysmal, keyboard is near useless, the HUB is a shadow of its former self, and the promise of security and privacy is a pipe dream (it's not very useful to be told your house is on fire, when it's already on fire). I feel for BlackBerry, but I'm done with their management and double-speak, and therefore with BlackBerry itself. They can't commit to anything and they don't listen to feedback. They keep throwing crap at a wall hoping something sticks.

It is about high-time for them to exit the device and consumer-facing business all-together. BlackBerry proper should focus on MDM and IOT, especially automotive, with a few spinoff companies for consumer facing stuff, like BBM and (if it is still even in the plans) the BlackBerry experience suite.
    01-29-16 09:58 AM
    @Soulstream
    I don't want Microsoft to dominate mobile market. I want the freedom of choice my OS. And we can benefit with more competitions.

But the future is going to be again like the desktop market and Google isn't different from Microsoft.
    FahedAlDerbi likes this.
    01-29-16 09:58 AM
    @Soulstream
    I don't want Microsoft to dominate mobile market. I want the freedom of choice my OS. And we can benefit with more competitions.

But the future is going to be again like the desktop market and Google isn't different from Microsoft.
    I agree. Google may end up like Microsoft, but I don't want the same company dominating both mobile and desktop.

What I really want is that the mobile world transform so that we can choose the hardware and then install any OS on it, like on the desktop market. But even then, I shown in the desktop market, most people would choose Android (like most people have Windows on desktop) due to apps.
    01-29-16 10:03 AM
    Depending on how you look at it. It also means that most all of the BlackBerry 10 development team has been reassigned or laid off already.
    Well, you're probably right and one can see the "maintenance only" sign.
    Still, I have people around me sporting 9900's and pretty happy with it ... it's all about the usage.
    01-29-16 10:10 AM
    I agree. Google may end up like Microsoft, but I don't want the same company dominating both mobile and desktop.

What I really want is that the mobile world transform so that we can choose the hardware and then install any OS on it, like on the desktop market. But even then, I shown in the desktop market, most people would choose Android (like most people have Windows on desktop) due to apps.
    My vision of my ideal future is a mobile device that is your sole device. It can stream to any display either wirelessly or wired and packs enough power to accomplish all but the most demanding tasks. Blackberry's BB10 would have been the perfect building blocks while Google and Microsoft are already on that path. It is a shame that Blackberry has no ability to foresee trends and keep going down the absolute least logical paths.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-29-16 10:16 AM
    You just closed my thread on this same exact topic, just so we can all go reply here? I dont understand...

Posted via CB10 on the Classic
    Because one thread discussing the same exact topic is enough, especially considering this is essentially the same dead horse that's been beaten for months here.

My mistake, that was a different thread. How's about we follow the rules, and you PM me for an answer.
    01-29-16 10:31 AM
    My vision of my ideal future is a mobile device that is your sole device. It can stream to any display either wirelessly or wired and packs enough power to accomplish all but the most demanding tasks. Blackberry's BB10 would have been the perfect building blocks while Google and Microsoft are already on that path. It is a shame that Blackberry has no ability to foresee trends and keep going down the absolute least logical paths.
    I would also like that and I think it will be possible in the future. But first battery technology must evolve because what you are proposing would kill a current phone battery in 2 hours.
    01-29-16 10:31 AM
    Didn't take long for this thread to take a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Let's get back on topic, please!
    01-29-16 10:44 AM
    Here is what BlackBerry exec says
    BlackBerry are transitiong to Android and will drop BlackBerry 10, says BlackBerry exec

It's almost like a warning bell that we will go to Android don't buy bb10 phones & Don't trust us, we can ditch you whenever we want bcoz we are BlackBerry. Will keep with Passport as long as it serve me after that BlackBerry GTH
    Wait. I thought Chen said that they will support BB10 and BB10 developers. We had BlackBerry say that Built for BlackBerry is done and now an exec says that they will be only a single OS company. This company is absolutely terrible in communications, actions and marketing.

Long live my Z30 rocking BB10!
    TGR1, gmsm and crackberry_geek like this.
    01-29-16 10:46 AM
    BB10 will remain until android gets its government clearances and certification.

Now how tough a task, and how long, and whether that's even possible, is really a question to the pro's out there and security gurus.

Posted via CB10
    Might be forever then. If people can rip out and access all the BlackBerry apks from the Priv and install them on other phones, then how in the world will the OS ever be certified as secure. If BlackBerry can't secure their own apps on their own device, then what?
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-29-16 10:50 AM
    There is no end to blackberry 10 and even if there is the ceo of blackberry said that he would be continuing blackberry 10.

Posted via CB10
    The CEO of Blackberry also said that BB10 was coming to the Playbook, and that it wasn't being phased out, and then the CEO of Blackberry said that they'd make it up to Playbook users when it turned out this wasn't true, then the Playbook was phased out and they never brought it up again.

Different CEO, but the same company.
    01-29-16 12:04 PM
    My ears only listen to Mr. Chen.....
    01-29-16 12:19 PM
    The CEO of Blackberry also said that BB10 was coming to the Playbook, and that it wasn't being phased out, and then the CEO of Blackberry said that they'd make it up to Playbook users when it turned out this wasn't true, then the Playbook was phased out and they never brought it up again.

Different CEO, but the same company.
    They then said BB10 needs 2gb Ram to run before turning around and releasing the Z3 with 1.5gb of RAM so yeah
    crackberry_geek and LuisCast like this.
    01-29-16 12:52 PM
317 1234 ...