So word has it an all-touch device is coming based upon the Z30 form factor? BlackBerry should release not only Marshmallow but also BlackBerry 10 versions. That would be a nice surprise, particularly having a worthy 2016 successor to the Z30 and Leap.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW 100-3 Z30.
    04-05-16 08:04 PM
    So word has it an all-touch device is coming based upon the Z30 form factor? BlackBerry should release not only Marshmallow but also BlackBerry 10 versions. That would be a nice surprise, particularly having a worthy 2016 successor to the Z30 and Leap.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW 100-3 Z30.
    Based on this, nope:
    http://gulfnews.com/business/sectors...bb10-1.1704682

*ME173X
    04-05-16 09:11 PM
    Well I guess the horse finally spoke. I would have said "that wasn't so hard" but it took him this long to say it. Oh well, life still lives on... I wonder who will win the NBA championships this yesr???

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 10:48 PM
    Chen sucks. Hope BlackBerry will change its mind, but I'm realistic. If I were CEO, I'd find a way to find some way to allow a willing hardware company to license BB10 and possibly take over further development of the OS itself.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    04-14-16 12:50 AM
    Chen sucks. Hope BlackBerry will change its mind, but I'm realistic. If I were CEO, I'd find a way to find some way to allow a willing hardware company to license BB10 and possibly take over further development of the OS itself.

Thorsten Heins tried that, no takers.
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    04-14-16 01:23 AM
    04-14-16 02:11 AM
    Top source.
    Uzi and mikeo007 like this.
    04-14-16 02:14 AM
    Finally is clear. What Chen said it is logic... I hope BB10 will survive!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 02:37 AM
    If you can't watch or hear, open in external browser and it should work. Very interesting interview.

Things that make ya go hmmm........

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 06:24 AM

If you were CEO and run the company based on emotions like that, either:

a) I short BlackBerry and make a ****-ton of money when you run the company to the ground
    b) you will promptly be removed by the Board of Directors.
    04-14-16 06:33 AM
    Some history for you:

August 2012, 5-6 months before BB10 was released:
    RIM may need to license BlackBerry 10 to beat competition's 'economy of scale' | The Verge

Specifically, Heins was exactly right when he said: "the team needed to 'prove' BlackBerry 10 before shopping it out to other manufacturers." No one is going to be interested in licensing an operating system whose own developers couldn't make a profit on, especially when competing OSs can be licensed virtually for free.

Jan 2013, just prior to BB10's launch:
    RIM CEO says licensing of BlackBerry 10 'conceivable' - CNET

July 2013, after the "first full quarter of BB10" showed low adoption of BB10, badly missing estimates:
    CEO says BlackBerry open to licensing deals, other options | Reuters

August 2013, upon the announcement that BB was "seeking strategic alternatives, including looking for a buyer":
    What exactly are BlackBerry's 'strategic options'? - Aug. 12, 2013

As these links show, and as came out during the strategic review, Heins had actually been shopping BB10 around to OEMs, looking for someone to license it and help grow the platform, for about 18 months prior to the point where the "strategic options" had to be sought. He got no takers, because there was no way for OEMs to make BB10 competitive, especially if BB couldn't do that themselves.
    Avenzuno and JeepBB like this.
    04-14-16 06:32 PM
    Thorsten Heins tried that, no takers.
    Ok thanks for educating me, thurask. I'm really frustrated, after seeing webOS go the way of the dodo bird. I think BlackBerry will attempt to improve the Hub on Android to come closest to its BB10 original, but I would not be surprised if Apple finds a way to beat BlackBerry to it. Heck, all Apple needs to add to the flicking of cards to close apps is the Woosh sound!

04-14-16 11:05 PM
    Some history for you:

August 2012, 5-6 months before BB10 was released:
    RIM may need to license BlackBerry 10 to beat competition's 'economy of scale' | The Verge

Specifically, Heins was exactly right when he said: "the team needed to 'prove' BlackBerry 10 before shopping it out to other manufacturers." No one is going to be interested in licensing an operating system whose own developers couldn't make a profit on, especially when competing OSs can be licensed virtually for free.

Jan 2013, just prior to BB10's launch:
    RIM CEO says licensing of BlackBerry 10 'conceivable' - CNET

July 2013, after the "first full quarter of BB10" showed low adoption of BB10, badly missing estimates:
    CEO says BlackBerry open to licensing deals, other options | Reuters

August 2013, upon the announcement that BB was "seeking strategic alternatives, including looking for a buyer":
    What exactly are BlackBerry's 'strategic options'? - Aug. 12, 2013

As these links show, and as came out during the strategic review, Heins had actually been shopping BB10 around to OEMs, looking for someone to license it and help grow the platform, for about 18 months prior to the point where the "strategic options" had to be sought. He got no takers, because there was no way for OEMs to make BB10 competitive, especially if BB couldn't do that themselves.
    Thanks for the history lesson, Troy. Nothing can be done now. There's a slim chance Chen would reverse himself after a couple of years. What upsets me the most is that BlackBerry has offered to strengthen Android, and all Google gave back was Play Store access, and not allow BlackBerry to update ART. Yes, it appears Google had much more leverage, but was BlackBerry really doing that badly with BB10 in the enterprise market? Maybe it should have kept that with BB10 and chose to relegate the consumer market to niche devices. I think Chen did a bad thing by charting a me-too Android strategy over further BB10 development.

04-14-16 11:13 PM
    Well guess as a loyal BlackBerry user, it is time to give up and move on.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 05:40 AM
    Well guess as a loyal BlackBerry user, it is time to give up and move on.

Posted via CB10
    you know you can still get a blackberry just not a BB10 one
    04-15-16 08:01 AM
    you know you can still get a blackberry just not a BB10 one
    For some of us its not a blackberry without a Blackberry OS.
    04-15-16 08:08 AM
    For some of us its not a blackberry without a Blackberry OS.
    This.

Honestly if I wanted an Android phone I would have gotten one instead of a Z10.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-15-16 04:16 PM
317 ... 111213