Presumptions based on...?
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-28-16 02:18 PM
    Presumptions based on...?
    His hotel choices notwithstanding he is nevertheless probably right. You can read the very long description on their website if you wish, the TL;DR is that certification allows US users to treat the evaluation of the product as conforming to a number of security standards that are important if you want to sell into particular markets. I don't see them going through the effort to certify a product scheduled for release in March if they were intending to drop that product within a year. However I understand that BlackBerry is a business. If they aren't awarded certification, or even with certification they aren't able to sell enough BB10 devices into the DoD and similar spaces, there may come a time when they do have to walk away from BB10. That alone is reason enough not to announce any updates beyond a year and no new BB10 phones this year. So far from treating their customers wrongly, they are being as up front as they can. We know what is going to happen over the next 12 months. Given the state of their handset business that isn't bad.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    02-28-16 04:10 PM
    BlackBerry made business decisions. One was to migrate their consumer customers to Android. Many here have applauded this move. Prior to this they announced that they were going to focus their efforts on BB10 at enterprise and security focused customers. This at a time when consumer uptake of BB10 was disappointing and continued focus on BB10 in the consumer space was not going to be profitable. If BlackBerry had simply dropped BB10 and walked away from it one could probably argue that customers have been wronged. But when they not only continue to maintain the product, but continue to expand its usability for the announced customers. The idea that they have somehow wronged customers is spin. Or are you saying that BlackBerry should continue to expend resources to make BB10 a more attractive product in the consumer space for the ever dwindling number of people in that space that buy BB10? If the moves BlackBerry has made have truly wronged their customers it seems that would be something to strive for.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    You say you've read this thread, yet seem to want to pick an argument with someone who's already said all of the above.
    02-28-16 04:45 PM
    BlackBerry made business decisions. One was to migrate their consumer customers to Android. Many here have applauded this move. Prior to this they announced that they were going to focus their efforts on BB10 at enterprise and security focused customers. This at a time when consumer uptake of BB10 was disappointing and continued focus on BB10 in the consumer space was not going to be profitable. If BlackBerry had simply dropped BB10 and walked away from it one could probably argue that customers have been wronged. But when they not only continue to maintain the product, but continue to expand its usability for the announced customers. The idea that they have somehow wronged customers is spin. Or are you saying that BlackBerry should continue to expend resources to make BB10 a more attractive product in the consumer space for the ever dwindling number of people in that space that buy BB10? If the moves BlackBerry has made have truly wronged their customers it seems that would be something to strive for.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Wow. You act like you know what spin is. My head never spinned so much reading something in my entire life. You NEED to look at BlackBerry's total behaviour over the past 6 -8 months. If you weren't on Crackberry over this time I could understand your position, otherwise putting one's head in the sand about BlackBerry's customer relations and management is no excuse. BlackBerry shouldn't be surprised a number of customers will choose not to follow them over to android.

The Priv is nothing more than a gamble. If it goes well they might stick with it. It is a gamble in the same way the PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 were. Do you see any evidence that BlackBerry is doing anything different as far as the Priv is concerned?

If anything I would say the priv launch was way more underwhelming than BlackBerry 10. Many carriers don't even carry the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Killjoyhere; 02-28-16 at 09:44 PM.
    02-28-16 06:22 PM
    For someone that went from Symbian to webOS to BB10, this transition is getting tired. I love an alternate OS but once the OEM stops ACTIVELY supporting the OS things quickly become broke. You can be as firm in your resolve to continue using X device as long as you like but things will break and things will become unusable. Many of use former webOS users are familiar with it.
    Expected Timeline
    1. Last Device
    2. Last Update (Not including security).....~Around 6 months of Last Device
    3. API Changes......................................~Arou nd a year of Last Update
    4. Server/app store Shutdown.................~Around 3 years after Last Update

That last device and update may have already happened, that means we may have till 2017 till APIs start to become outdated and 2019 till a possible server shutdown. All while the web browser becomes outdated and the already small app support quickly dries up.

Usually when I see a company drop support I see no reason to support them by using their device and I jump ship. Wish me luck finding an alternative OS
    Not to say I'm right but I think I'm right, WhatsApp will end BB10 support starting 2017. This is pretty much the timeline I stated.
    02-29-16 02:23 AM
    You say you've read this thread, yet seem to want to pick an argument with someone who's already said all of the above.
    Just pointing out that you can say what is happening without bending the facts. Look again. I didn't pick a fight with you, I responded to a new poster and you jumped on me.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-29-16 05:42 AM
    Just pointing out that you can say what is happening without bending the facts. Look again. I didn't pick a fight with you, I responded to a new poster and you jumped on me.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Read it again. I supported your opinion of most posters.
    02-29-16 11:29 AM
    Read it again. I supported your opinion of most posters.
    That's what I was pointing out to Ali Denver, that he was about to find out the opinion of most posters. And if he came back he certainly did. So I don't know why you jumped on us if you are happy to run with the pack.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-29-16 12:55 PM
    I don't care anymore,, BlackBerry has nothing for users who wanted to renew there full touch device. My wife Z30 has to be renewed , My daughter Z10 and my brother is allready move since 2-3 month away from BlackBerry because there is no full touch device. I'm looking now for two Android device's . BlackBerry is an epic failure in marketing.

So in March both family members will get a new phone and that will be thirth phone's in a few month in my family that has no BlackBerry logo on it.

keep the qwerty coming

UPDATE :My wife is still using here Z30 and my daughter just move to a old second touchscreen device from the other fruit company.
    Last edited by whatsever; 03-21-16 at 01:09 PM.
    Killjoyhere and gmsm like this.
    02-29-16 01:48 PM
    That's what I was pointing out to Ali Denver, that he was about to find out the opinion of most posters. And if he came back he certainly did. So I don't know why you jumped on us if you are happy to run with the pack.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    You were almost making sense, until you didn't.

Please, don't try to explain the pack I'm running in. I'm afraid I'll find we're all chasing our tails.
    02-29-16 11:15 PM
    There is nothing in that quote that distorts what I and many others have been saying here. No promise of new features or device. Simply maintenance mode.
    OK so what's better, to by a new android every year because if you by it unlocked you have no updates coming at all or get security updates whenever they have them scheduled, people are buying android phones right now that are still exploitable from stagefight, and as you know blackberry has never made more than 5 devices a year.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 11:37 PM
    OK so what's better, to by a new android every year because if you by it unlocked you have no updates coming at all or get security updates whenever they have them scheduled, people are buying android phones right now that are still exploitable from stagefight, and as you know blackberry has never made more than 5 devices a year.

Posted via CB10
    I am now and will continue to use my Z30 for the foreseeable future. However, if you choose your Android wisely, and set it up properly, it's on a consumer level fairly secure. The Priv appears very secure.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-29-16 11:43 PM
    Yeah, the only people who care about this new certification are IT managers in the Department of Defense.
    And consumers who care about security.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    02-29-16 11:51 PM
    How many teenagers who uses android or ios cares for security or I don't know if they really know or give a damn about security and privacy, all they need is app for messaging, like snapchat, insta, whatsapp, and camera and apps to tweak their phone, which is where BlackBerry failed ignoring them and just concentrating on security and privacy.

I just feel they did it to switch their enterprise customers from bb10 to Priv aka android assuring them that it's as secure as bb10 and only WE can do it.
    BlackBerry like always with their high egos and pride digged their own grave.

If they wanted to really revive handset business then keeping the bb10 for enterprises with updates and new features as they are not that app crazy and introduced low end Android device with keyboard for consumers /teengers who are app crazy ... instead they went to a totally weird direction of dumping bb10 and introducing an android device with high high price just to be failed again....

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere and roleli like this.
    03-01-16 02:28 AM
    End of BlackBerry 10, says one of BlackBerry exec-img_20160301_031352_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 03:08 AM

As BB's vanishingly small market share and plummeting user base should demonstrate, few consumers care about security. Certainly not enough to let "security concerns" affect their use of 21st Century tech.
    03-01-16 04:32 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160301_031352_edit.png 
Views:	975 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	392894

Posted via CB10
    Just like Bb10 will come to playbook, just like killing off bb10 OS

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-01-16 06:17 AM
    Just like Bb10 will come to playbook, just like killing off bb10 OS

Posted via CB10
    They have set the company in such a way as to make the shareholders happy you must throw the customer under the bus. Let's see how sustainable this business practice is. Everyone grab your notebooks and pens this is going down in history.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 03:13 PM
    Whyyy, oh whyyyyy???!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 01:50 AM
    His hotel choices notwithstanding he is nevertheless probably right. You can read the very long description on their website if you wish, the TL;DR is that certification allows US users to treat the evaluation of the product as conforming to a number of security standards that are important if you want to sell into particular markets. I don't see them going through the effort to certify a product scheduled for release in March if they were intending to drop that product within a year. However I understand that BlackBerry is a business. If they aren't awarded certification, or even with certification they aren't able to sell enough BB10 devices into the DoD and similar spaces, there may come a time when they do have to walk away from BB10. That alone is reason enough not to announce any updates beyond a year and no new BB10 phones this year. So far from treating their customers wrongly, they are being as up front as they can. We know what is going to happen over the next 12 months. Given the state of their handset business that isn't bad.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I have the impression many "BB10 is dead" opinions on CB are coming a from consumer perspective.
    Enterprise, however, has totally different needs.

I will continue to use Windows 7 for work as long as I can, because that is what I need.
    Yes, I understand Windows 10 is the future and it has new features etc etc, but I don't need that and for good reasons the W10 Enterprise edition will get only patches and maintenance updates but no new features (in comparison to Windows 10 Home/Professional).
    03-02-16 04:54 AM
    After reading "Losing the Signal".... my opinion about Research in Motion later known as BlackBerry, changed drastically. (maybe it is better if they disappear)

I got a SE Passport , I am not sure if I will ever buy a BlackBerry device again but as many others, my family members need replacements for their z30, z10. Priv is better than not BlackBerry at all, but at that price and background, it is wise to at least consider and compare with other brand.

NIAP was already achieved by Apple, Samsung.

https://www.niap-ccevs.org/Product/P...%20Corporation

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-20-16 12:04 PM
    I just feel they did it to switch their enterprise customers from bb10 to Priv aka android assuring them that it's as secure as bb10 and only WE can do it.
    BlackBerry like always with their high egos and pride digged their own grave.

If they wanted to really revive handset business then keeping the bb10 for enterprises with updates and new features as they are not that app crazy
    I'm not sure if you just haven't been paying attention or are in denial, but the majority of BB's former enterprise customers have already or are in the process of moving to iOS or Android. BB has been losing them since 2010, and they continued to lose them (far faster than they were adding them) though 2015. At this point, there are more non-BB phones being managed by BES than there are BB phones.

To use an analogy that I've used a few times, BB is like a horse farm in the 1920s, when everyone was buying cars. BB spent the last 5 years trying to convince everyone that the automobile was just a passing fad, and what they REALLY wanted was horse, because horses were SMART and cars were just dumb machines. Yet they saw their horse sales plummet. Now they're trying to participate in the automobile market in some way, bowing to the inevitable, but there are a few die-hard horse fans and car haters who are upset that they are abandoning the horse market that they used to be so successful in. They praise the comforts of a saddle and the supple feel of leather reins, but every neighbor owns a car and the infrastructure to support horses is quickly disappearing and being replaced by gas stations, paved roads, and stop signs.

Change is inevitable, and those who try to fight a change in the market usually get crushed. Sony owned the TV market for 30 years with the multiple-award-winning Trinitron tube. How many of those are they selling today? How many cassette Walkmans are they selling?

AT&T built an empire wiring the country for landline phones. How many of those are being installed every day, and how many are being disconnected?

How many fax machines are being sold today?

Technology changes, markets change, and companies that want to survive have to change too. Mike Lazaridis didn't want to change, and his denial and stubbornness put RIM five years behind and caused them to miss the primary growth window of the smartphone market. There's no way to recover from that, except to move into a new market that is much earlier in its market cycle and hope to build a solid position there. That's what BB hopes to do with IoT - though to be fair, they will also be competing with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Cisco, and many others.

The smartphone wars are over. iOS and Android won, and everyone else lost and are quickly becoming irrelevant. That sucks for the losers, but it doesn't change the facts.
    03-20-16 01:11 PM

Samsung GS5 & GS6 already have that same NIAP cert that BB10 is looming to get. So do the Note 3 & 4, LG G3 & G4, and Boeing Black. The PRIV is in testing as well as all current W10 phones, iOS9.2 for iPhone and iPad, and a Huawei.

I'd suggest you look into what exactly makes BB10 secure. Outside of BES or a SecuSmart SD card, not much.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    03-20-16 03:38 PM
    I have the impression many "BB10 is dead" opinions on CB are coming a from consumer perspective.
    Enterprise, however, has totally different needs.
    Yup, totally. Many around here treat BB10 as though it is a consumer's OS first and foremost.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    03-20-16 03:42 PM
    Samsung GS5 & GS6 already have that same NIAP cert that BB10 is looming to get. So do the Note 3 & 4, LG G3 & G4, and Boeing Black. The PRIV is in testing as well as all current W10 phones, iOS9.2 for iPhone and iPad, and a Huawei.

I'd suggest you look into what exactly makes BB10 secure. Outside of BES or a SecuSmart SD card, not much.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    NIAP is not a certification that means all products on the Product Compliant List are equally secure. From their website:
    The products listed below must be considered in the context of the environment of use, including appropriate risk analysis and system accreditation requirements.* Customers must ensure that the products selected will provide the necessary security functionality for their architecture.*
    So not all products on the list would be considered secure for every possible application. Even though the LG G3 is on the list, it may not be approved for the same applications as iOS 9 might be, for example.

These approvals are complex, which is why some users who care about such things are just now starting to roll out BB10 devices to replace BBOS devices.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-20-16 04:22 PM
317 ... 10111213