And another exec.... NARENDRA NAYAK, Managing Director, BlackBerry India

Said this today in an interview with The Hindu

Really no way to know what is going on.... as not everyone at BlackBerry is on the same page.

Of course I don't know... have all existing BB10 devices officially launched in India?

Link, just for reference - BlackBerry will focus only on power users | Business Line
    02-02-16 04:45 PM
    Existing Blackberry users are not interested in the spyware called Android nor is there a big market for highend cellphones that run spyware. RIP blackberry.
    02-02-16 06:14 PM
    As quoted:

"Today, BlackBerry has three business units � the device business, which is now an independent business unit."

What is this? BlackBerry doesn't 'really' make devices anymore. And they are only after 'power users'. Hmmmm....I wonder what might be next for devices as a separate business unit? Building phones for other OEMS. Maybe. Oh wait, they are already doing that with Priv...they would NEVER get involved with Nexus, Google's premium product. That would be a terrible match. What a stupid idea! LOL.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 06:59 PM
    It's built by Wistron.... I guess you weren't aware of the manufacturing partnerships that BlackBerry has made with Chen in charge. They have sold most all of their own facilities.... I think the only current BlackBerry that were actually made by BlackBerry were some Gold Passports that really were reworked Passports.

BlackBerry is just a reseller of products built by others. They have even talked of unloaded the design work to others - like they did with the PlayBook.
    Who made the PlayBook? Except for it being too underpowered for bb10 to me it was a quality device. Still takes nice photos and video after all this time. Battery still working etc. 5 years old this spring. I'm curious if it's a different company from the Z10 which I had one totally fail and the Z30 which I've had to replace a screen and proximity sensor on.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-02-16 07:17 PM
    Who made the PlayBook?
    The Playbook was a reference tablet design by Quanta Computer, with a few options chosen by BB. Quanta also built the Kindle Fire tablets at the same time, which were virtually the same tablet except for a couple of minor differences - you'll note that they look nearly identical. Quanta manufacturers laptops for several companies, including most of HP's laptops, and they make lots of other devices. They're a big OEM, like Foxconn/Hon Hai, Wistron, Jabil Circuit, etc.

End of BlackBerry 10, says one of BlackBerry exec-rim_blackberry_playbook_tablet_white_bk_151753455236.jpg
    Playbook

End of BlackBerry 10, says one of BlackBerry exec-ahiq-800.jpg
    Kindle Fire
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-16 08:10 PM
    BlackBerry hasnt updated a single app in months. Their Facebook app still cant display replies to comments.
    Even developers arent too excited to push apps. Many are stuck in the 2013 release date versions. We can all be in denial, but BlackBerry needs to make money in order to exist, and unfortunately, that means joining android. Now, lets hope BlackBerry continues to push their expertise, and blow the competition away!

Posted via CB10 on the Classic
    BlackBerry Help was updated a few days ago :-) and Foursquare got a tiny design update with the recent OTA.
    But other than that, you're right.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    02-03-16 12:32 AM
    If BB10 gets discontinued, then I will stop using smart phones
    jpvj likes this.
    02-03-16 05:17 AM
    If BB10 gets discontinued, then I will stop using smart phones
    Sure. Good luck with that.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-03-16 06:16 AM
    Maybe someone like LG will buy BB10 and put it in televisions too.

Posted via CB10
    Best mobile OS ever created. RIP WebOS
    elfabio80, Vistaus and Avenzuno like this.
    02-03-16 07:07 AM
    Best mobile OS ever created. RIP WebOS
    WebOS is still alive, think they just released 3.0.... but yeah it's hard to get excited about an OS in a TV.
    02-03-16 07:33 AM
    WebOS is still alive, think they just released 3.0.... but yeah it's hard to get excited about an OS in a TV.
    Was it released for Palm devices the 3.0?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 09:38 AM
    I think this eventually will happen. I think it will take several years before it actually occurs. Too many government entities are dependent on BB10 for security reasons. For that reason alone, BB10 will stick around for a bit. In the meantime, BlackBerry has its work cut out for it in terms of securing Android to the point where they can sell it as a secure OS that even government personnel can rely on. So, the clock continues to tick for BlackBerry. How fast can they secure Android and how long will it take them to convince various government entities that it's alright to switch to their version of Android? Tick, tick, tick... In the meantime, as many have already posted here, I'm going to continue to enjoy BB10 until it's no longer available. Somewhere out there, there's a black iPhone waiting for me.
    02-03-16 09:56 AM
    Was it released for Palm devices the 3.0?

Posted via CB10
    No... development for devices died long ago. LG is using WebOS for their own line of electronics.... (but not their smartphones).
    02-03-16 09:59 AM
    I can see that bb10 is dead as least on the consumer side for sure. I get that blackberry won't sell the license because government's still use bb10.
    An off the wall thought had occurred to me though, if there is all this buzz about people being upset with bb10 development stopping and so forth, would anyone consider paying a minimal fee for an update or patch. I know mobile os tend to offer this free but people used to pay on computers. I myself donated a few dollars to Saurek back in the day for appreciating my jailbreak on iPhone. I know we are used to getting these no charge upgrades these days but I'm just putting some food for thought out there. At least some revenue to offset costs.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 10:08 AM
    I just did that a few months ago!
    02-03-16 12:27 PM
    Blackberry betrays it's loyal customers

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 02:29 PM
    Only for TV's. For phones and tablets, webOS lives forth in LuneOS.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-04-16 12:27 AM
    **** it, i'm going the iphone route, I feel so bad as its just been three months since I bought my blackberry passport. Been a long time blackberry user and this sucks. Even the developers don't update their apps anymore, when was the last time twitter or even facebook was updated? **** it blackberry, I took it once with the playbook, but not any more.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz and RyanGermann like this.
    02-04-16 08:22 AM
    It should be open sourced, it would be expensive as hell but it has been done before. Look at illumos and their battle with Oracle, you open it one bit at a time until its all open... Now Joyent is taking huge market share with Smartos because their kernel isn't a huge pile of steaming you know what.
    02-04-16 08:33 AM
    Shame the Android Runtime won't be updated, otherwise I'd easily use my Passport for another year. But after downloading an Android game that constantly crashes, I see the writing on the wall and will buy a Priv soon. In the end I won't miss needing to download work arounds to get the apps I want running, but this has still been a fantastic phone and OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 09:29 AM
    Srsly the runtime wont be updated?

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    02-04-16 09:30 AM
    **** it, i'm going the iphone route, I feel so bad as its just been three months since I bought my blackberry passport. Been a long time blackberry user and this sucks. Even the developers don't update their apps anymore, when was the last time twitter or even facebook was updated? **** it blackberry, I took it once with the playbook, but not any more.

Posted via CB10
    I feel the same way. How many times can you trust someone and get burned before you have to blame yourself? BlackBerry is like having a child that is an addict who keeps stealing from you and you try to give them chance after chance to change and they never do.

BlackBerry has to hit rock bottom and we need to stop enabling BlackBerry. In other words:: With a person they can hit rock bottom and still come back. But BlackBerry has to die. Has to go bankrupt and die.

Hopefully BlackBerry will be remembered by other companies who are arrogant and abusive to change their ways.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    gmsm and RyanGermann like this.
    02-04-16 09:38 AM
    Srsly the runtime wont be updated?

Seriously.

Keep in mind though, BlackBerry has only ever committed to Android insofar as BlackBerry World and Amazon Appstore is concerned - both of which do not offer apps for higher versions of Android (and never will).

Other third party Appstores are unofficial and have never been part of any BlackBerry promise of support.
    02-04-16 09:57 AM
    Isn't there a way to force blackberry give us what we want like they did with os 10.3.1? I mean the ui itself has starting to get to my nerves for example the drop down menu or the lock screen.

02-04-16 10:11 AM
    Lol that was a fun comparison, but yeah I understand you. They need a lesson, I can't keep changing devices every three months just because blackberry wants so.

02-04-16 10:13 AM
317 ... 678910 ...