I loved and still miss webOS on smartphones.
    In fact, this is the main reason I chose a TV by LG instead one of another competitor.
    How is that TV by the way?--I am thinking of getting one. Do you like the UI? Sorry thread about off topic!
    02-01-16 08:02 AM
    Blackberry needs to keep OS 10. It is a superior OS and its QNX kernel is at the heart of the automobile infotainment system. Why abandon it? To save a few bucks?
    02-01-16 09:10 AM
    Blackberry needs to keep OS 10. It is a superior OS and its QNX kernel is at the heart of the automobile infotainment system. Why abandon it? To save a few bucks?
    To avoid bankruptcy.
    eldricho and drfever like this.
    02-01-16 09:12 AM
    I'm firmly of the opinion that BB will not achieve anything like 5M in annual device sales. And, it must be remembered that Chen's 5M guesstimate represents the break-even FLOOR for sustainable profitability. They have do much, much, better than that floor-figure to sustain hardware.
    Still, an opinion, as of current knowledge of figures ...

Now for the FLOOR level you mention, BlackBerry stated they'll be MORE software oriented than hardware (at least, smartphones).
    Why is that important ?
    Because it denotes a situation some may want to describe as schizophrenic: value and profit will be driven by software while they simply can't drop hardware. Because it's part of the promise : end to end security. And it's not -only- marketing:
    0. Yes, it IS marketing.
    1. They know that they won't be able to secure - at the highest level - mobile activities (furthermore with Android) unless they control the devices (chips keys, for instance). The giants agree (see Knox).
    2. They know they have to put hands dirty if they want the real experience and the ability to "move forward"
    3. HW division is monitored by W.S as the main valuable asset (I still don't know why, BTW), not for revenues, but for turnover; like being recognized as "significant again". [side note: unless miracles, there might be some extra roof left by MSFT, which follows a -50% (symbolic, FTR) market shares path ...]

So, hitting the "sustainable profitability" is a key achievement. And it can even be slightly negative; the cost would be balanced by image and experience alone.

ALL the above IMHO, strictly personal; no hat whatsoever.
    02-01-16 10:22 AM
    My feeling is that BlackBerry needs to sell 5 million Android devices to have a long-term, sustainable, DEVICE business. However, I believe they would stay in the game with something around 3-4 million in sales because of the benefits it brings to the rest of the overall business (for some of the reasons stated above).
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-01-16 10:29 AM
    RIP BB10
    I guess your phone's OS (bb10) is not functioning anymore. That's what you get for installing all those crap apps from Google.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-01-16 10:51 AM
    I guess your phone's OS (bb10) is not functioning anymore. That's what you get for installing all those crap apps from Google.

So to prove/disprove your theory is just a matter of uninstalling all those android apps.
    Do you agree Notna?
    02-01-16 10:55 AM
    RIP BB10
    Oh no, it's the end of the world!

02-01-16 10:57 AM
    So to prove/disprove your theory is just a matter of uninstalling all those android apps.
    Do you agree Notna?
    My BB10 is alive and functioning contrary to what others here are saying that it's a dead OS. And it doesn't have those android apps that's why it's doing well. And even if BlackBerry stops supporting the OS, it doesn't mean that we will stop on our tracks. There's life beyond this OS thing.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 11:30 AM
    2. Last i checked patches are updates.
    3. My keyboard works just fine and it does feel like blackberry thank you

It is clear that you are disgruntled bb10 user who cannot go over the fact that bb10 failed and you come up with all these lame excuses not to get priv. I will keep my priv and spread the word how awesome this phone is because it is the best blackberry in years
    And you're wrong again. I actually don't own any more BlackBerry devices at all. I was going to migrate to the PRIV from my Passport, however after spending some time with the device and on the forums here, it was quite apparent that the device was crap. In fact, before it launched, I praised the device. Now I think nobody in their right mind should buy it. Mediocre quality and an exorbitant price tag, plus a company that can't back a product to save its own life. The PRIV is another half-hearted "Experiement by BlackBerry". Patches are security patches. Functionally, the device is still very deficient. I also don't believe you even for a second that your keyboard feels like BlackBerry, that is unless the only other device you've ever used was the Torch. With all that said, if you're happy with your device, that's all that matters. It doesn't change facts about its issues though.
    crackberry_geek and ljfong like this.
    02-01-16 11:49 AM
    My BB10 is alive and functioning contrary to what others here are saying that it's a dead OS. And it doesn't have those android apps that's why it's doing well. And even if BlackBerry stops supporting the OS, it doesn't mean that we will stop on our tracks. There's life beyond this OS thing.

Posted via CB10
    You guys are weird.... I don't see any definition of the phrase "BB10 is dead" meaning that it will cease to function. What they are implying is that it is dead like Pontiac or Saturn (Car). You can still buy/own/drive one just fine. But there will be no new models produced. To those who love to come into every thread just to say "BB10 is dead" .... ok we get it. We have the same news as you and some people prefer to keep a positive speculation rather than a negative. Any conclusion at this point is purely speculation. Sure there is a lot of evidence that the OS will no longer be developed but we don't know if this will hold true or will be a short term thing or permanent. If you don't like a speculation thread that differs from your opinion, unless they called for a debate you should just keep your hands in your pockets.
    02-01-16 11:56 AM
    Interesting...there is an article today about Google going vertical integration with Nexus, similar to Apple. I wonder if BlackBerry is part of this equation?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:18 PM
    Yeah, my same thought!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:20 PM
    Interesting...there is an article today about Google going vertical integration with Nexus, similar to Apple. I wonder if BlackBerry is part of this equation?

Posted via CB10
    That would be the end of the Blackberry name and experience. Patents would be absorbed and everything else chucked. Google going vertical also proves Blackberry is moving backwards.
    02-01-16 12:25 PM
    So another security patch for android priv of BlackBerry, it proves that android is so insecure as it requires update every month, lol, where I haven't remember any update on security every month on bb10.... n BlackBerry claims its most secure android, so BlackBerry Wll keep updating its security update for priv every month, what to say more

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ya whatever LOL
    02-01-16 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    WHY would you wonder that? BlackBerry isn't even a manufacture anymore.

There is no doubt that Apple is able to do a LOT more because they control the hardware and the software. Sadly BlackBerry was only in the position to use "stock" chips and hardware. But if Google started to focus more on their code and how it was being used by the different processors in a chipset.... maybe they could greatly improve performance and battery life? A future line of NEXUS devices might say "built by Samsung", or it might only say Google Nexus.
    02-01-16 02:40 PM
    I hope that's not true, I hate android and apple.

If something like that happen (and it's possible, I still remember my playbook) I have to go to UBUNTU ou SAILFISH.
    02-01-16 02:42 PM
    I hope that's not true, I hate android and apple.

If something like that happen (and it's possible, I still remember my playbook) I have to go to UBUNTU ou SAILFISH.
    I think there is more or less zero doubt that the big battle is integrating everything from phone to desktop through the web. It is a battle among Apple, Microsoft and Google. It's why Microsoft has poured vast sums of money into mobile and why I can edit a doc anywhere I am and on any device a have handy.
    02-01-16 03:05 PM
    Maybe someone like LG will buy BB10 and put it in televisions too.

Posted via CB10
    ROFLMAO!
    02-01-16 03:36 PM
    And you're wrong again. I actually don't own any more BlackBerry devices at all. I was going to migrate to the PRIV from my Passport, however after spending some time with the device and on the forums here, it was quite apparent that the device was crap. In fact, before it launched, I praised the device. Now I think nobody in their right mind should buy it. Mediocre quality and an exorbitant price tag, plus a company that can't back a product to save its own life. The PRIV is another half-hearted "Experiement by BlackBerry". Patches are security patches. Functionally, the device is still very deficient. I also don't believe you even for a second that your keyboard feels like BlackBerry, that is unless the only other device you've ever used was the Torch. With all that said, if you're happy with your device, that's all that matters. It doesn't change facts about its issues though.
    Phone had no issues.
    02-01-16 03:59 PM
    The phone has no issues. I use phones a lot because I am in sales business. The phone works perfectly fine for me. I got quick charger and that is all I needed. As to keyboard it is obvious that it will not be as comfortable as one on passport. Also you are saying torch was no blackberry ?!
    02-01-16 04:03 PM
    That is what happens when someone sits on the acquired chair where it shouldn't have sat on the first place.

China wants to eat your luunnch!

Here is what BlackBerry exec says
    BlackBerry are transitiong to Android and will drop BlackBerry 10, says BlackBerry exec

It's almost like a warning bell that we will go to Android don't buy bb10 phones & Don't trust us, we can ditch you whenever we want bcoz we are BlackBerry. Will keep with Passport as long as it serve me after that BlackBerry GTH

Posted from my Blackbeast
    02-01-16 04:42 PM
    The phone has no issues. I use phones a lot because I am in sales business. The phone works perfectly fine for me. I got quick charger and that is all I needed. As to keyboard it is obvious that it will not be as comfortable as one on passport. Also you are saying torch was no blackberry ?!
    Torch was a terrible BlackBerry. Torch 9810 was alright but too late.
    02-01-16 05:04 PM
    WHY would you wonder that? BlackBerry isn't even a manufacture anymore.

There is no doubt that Apple is able to do a LOT more because they control the hardware and the software. Sadly BlackBerry was only in the position to use "stock" chips and hardware. But if Google started to focus more on their code and how it was being used by the different processors in a chipset.... maybe they could greatly improve performance and battery life? A future line of NEXUS devices might say "built by Samsung", or it might only say Google Nexus.
    Why not...something wrong with wondering? I can see you have already figured out what Google is up to, good for you.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kputock; 02-01-16 at 05:24 PM.
    02-01-16 05:10 PM
317 ... 45678 ...