Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry 10 OS

Encryption of the SD card

Asked: Dec 27 2018 | 5:39 pm EST 581 Views 2 Answers View Best Answer

HI,
Recently I wanted to open the pictures of the SD card of a BB Classic through a laptop, in order to transfer a few of them.
I couldn't. Probably because my SD is encrypted. So I decide to run the unencryption of the SD card in the BB 10 settings.

But It take ages!!!!

Is it due to my password?
Energy saving is off, so cpu should run normally.
The device is plugged to a power source.

It is literally taking hours!!

Is it normal?

Best Answer

Dec 27 2018 | 8:30 pm EST byex

Yup depending on size of data it can take many hours to decrypt.
I been through that and also loss of data when phone died with encrypted card in it.
Now I back it up regularly.

But to if you want to transfer files and not have to decrypt the card, leave the SD card in phone and connect phone to comp. It will then act as a removable drive. As long as the encrypted card is in the phone while plugged into the computer you can view and transfer as you please.

No computer will read your encrypted card if it's been removed from the phone.

Posted via CB10

More Answers

Dec 27 2018 | 7:49 pm EST Troy Tiscareno

If the card is large and/or has a lot of data on it, then, yes, that's normal.

Keep in mind as well that encrypting the data on ANY storage device means that data is FAR, FAR more susceptible to data loss. For example, if the phone ever gets damaged and won't operate enough to read the SD card, then the data is gone forever, because the encryption will only work in that one phone and requires that phone's hardware to decrypt.

So, you must ALWAYS make manual backups of any data you put on an encrypted drive, and you should be prepared to lose the data on the encrypted card at any time with no notice. I think a lot of people don't realize all of this until something happens and they want to recover important data - only to find out that there's no way that's ever going to happen.

ALWAYS BACKUP ALL DATA THAT YOU STORE ON AN ENCRYPTED DRIVE TO ANOTHER, NON-ENCRYPTED DRIVE - OR RISK TOTAL DATA LOSS!