I do not know if this has ever been discussed or if it is only for BES. But is there a reason why non BES users cannot use certificates for secure and signed email?

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    05-07-14 12:24 PM
    PGpgp - BlackBerry World

Something like that would work for personal use. For certificate based encryption, who would issue the certificates, check the revocation list, etc. This is why it is usually reserved for enterprise. Not that you cannot do these things personally, just that you usually dont.
    05-07-14 01:10 PM
    It's a missing feature from BB10...older BBs had this capability for personal users.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:21 PM
    It's a missing feature from BB10...older BBs had this capability for personal users.

Posted via CB10
    I dont think anything is stopping you from using it on BB10. You can manually import certificates, and configure S/MIME.
    05-07-14 01:25 PM
    I dont think anything is stopping you from using it on BB10. You can manually import certificates, and configure S/MIME.
    Please elaborate.
    Up today I thought that we could do it only by using Android apps like R2mail.
    Is there any other way?
    Thank you.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    05-07-14 01:42 PM
    SMIME is built into the device. You just need the certificates present and a way to get remote user certs on your device so you can send to them.

Settings, security settings, certificates to import.
    HUB overflow then settings Secure Email.

Edit: apparently the option only appears when connected to a BES. You would have to use BES10 Cloud. My apologies. The feature is there just not visible.

Posted via CB10
    akavbb and jope28 like this.
    05-07-14 02:44 PM
    In BBOS you can enable it by installing the S/Mime support package. I get the feeling that allowing that capability out of enterprise IT support was more trouble to BlackBerry than it was worth to BlackBerry. I know it was for me when I used the feature to stand up an encrypted PIM system. About 10% of the people in our high tech firm could actually manage their certificates. Setting up a BES was, in the end much more effective and less expensive.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 04:09 PM
    Are the email accounts that are setup non-enterprise (e.g. Gmail, hotmail...etc) encrypted? Just wondering how safe it is to allow email accounts to be synced over unsecured networks.
    05-08-14 07:56 AM
    Are the email accounts that are setup non-enterprise (e.g. Gmail, hotmail...etc) encrypted? Just wondering how safe it is to allow email accounts to be synced over unsecured networks.
    Most email providers, Google for sure, allow or require a TLS connection when accessing their mail servers. So syncing email is usually not an issue. The big problem if you value the privacy of your email is that the majority of email moving between services, Gmail to Hotmail, or Yahoo etc, is not encrypted at all. It could be, but most email providers don't bother. The main risk when syncing over unsecured networks, if your client or server doesn't support TLS, is that your username/password can be intercepted and your email account taken over. You can protect yourself against this somewhat by using a VPN service, but the best protection is to ensure your server supports TLS, BB10 will use it.
    05-08-14 11:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Really? Is that true? When did BIS ever have the ability to use s/mime?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 04:18 AM
    There is a certificate section in settings > security.
    More security for mail coming in 10.3.2 as well(find the thread for screen shots)

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582 
    03-23-15 07:33 AM