I was using SMS to chat with a friend earlier. I sent an emoticon and it arrived to his iPhone as "8-i" or something.

Aren't they supposed to be standard across devices?
    02-28-16 06:46 PM
    I was using SMS to chat with a friend earlier. I sent an emoticon and it arrived to his iPhone as "8-i" or something.

I believe only Emojis are.
    02-28-16 07:03 PM
    Emoticons, emojis, whatever... if I'm in an SMS, shouldn't the icons be standard?
    02-28-16 07:03 PM

Yeah, the SMS ones we have only show up as the emoticons on other BlackBerry 10 phones. The emojis, they show up on other phones. They're available on WhatsApp, including the newest ones implemented by Apple, where you can change their skin tone and stuff.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 07:05 PM
    So if I send a conventional smiley - - to an iPhone user, does it show up as a smiley icon? How do I know which icons will work, and which ones won't?

Does the same hold true if iPhone and Android users send icons back and forth?
    02-28-16 07:09 PM
    Funny that humans have gone from using pictographs as written language to a more complex and robust system using words instead, and now we have dumbed it down back to using pictographs. Oh how far we have fallen as a species.

I wonder if many generations from now people will look back and study in school how humans using funny looking squiggly lines as written language while tapping on pictographs on their future tablets/laptops/etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 08:54 PM
    Funny that humans have gone from using pictographs as written language to a more complex and robust system using words instead, and now we have dumbed it down back to using pictographs. Oh how far we have fallen as a species.

I wonder if many generations from now people will look back and study in school how humans using funny looking squiggly lines as written language while tapping on pictographs on their future tablets/laptops/etc.

Posted via CB10
    Precisely

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-28-16 09:33 PM
    And much like pictographs and hieroglyphics, those stuck in a previous time with their iPhones can't read the squiggly lines my phone communicates in.

How do I know which SMS smileys are displayed properly on an iDroid?
    02-28-16 09:35 PM
    So if I send a conventional smiley - - to an iPhone user, does it show up as a smiley icon? How do I know which icons will work, and which ones won't?

Does the same hold true if iPhone and Android users send icons back and forth?
    That smiley face will show up as how you just typed it not an emoji for the iPhone user. But if you sent it to me as a text, it would show up as the yellow smiley emoticon we have in our SMS text box.

I'm pretty sure none of our SMS emoticons will show as anything but symbols for iPhone users.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 09:37 PM