I was at a company meeting when I got a call from an UNKNOWN number telling me that I have just dialled 9-1-1.

I told the operator that I must have accidentally dialed it since the phone was in my pocket. She asked what phone I had, I told her it's a BlackBerry which she said is common due to the way the lock screen is done (I didn't say the Z10 though).

It was a whole interesting ordeal which involved me trying to verify my location and for them to make sure I am really OK.

I was testing it out afterwards and found that it is "indeed" very easy to hit the emergeny phone button. All you have to do is lock your phone, swipe up and in the password screen press the emergency call button and OK.

I was talking to a coworker who was using an iPhone and it seems harder for them because they would need to swipe first, press emergency call. Then dial 9-1-1 and call.

It would be nice if we needed to swipe again or type in 911 before it would actually call. Besides the first swipe, the rest are just presses which can easily happen.
    Last edited by DueNorthBB; 05-09-13 at 05:13 PM. Reason: wrong swipe direction.
    mapperav likes this.
    05-09-13 04:57 PM
    I cannot replicate what you have said
    05-09-13 05:03 PM
    when I swipe down from the lock screen I got the clock
    05-09-13 05:05 PM
    Sorry, wrong swipe direction. Lock phone, swipe up to get password screen, there is the emergency button there... and click on OK (well don't do it, but that's what you have to do).
    05-09-13 05:14 PM
    I was at a company meeting when I got a call from an UNKNOWN number telling me that I have just dialled 9-1-1.

I told the operator that I must have accidentally dialed it since the phone was in my pocket. She asked what phone I had, I told her it's a BlackBerry which she said is common due to the way the lock screen is done (I didn't say the Z10 though).

It was a whole interesting ordeal which involved me trying to verify my location and for them to make sure I am really OK.

I was testing it out afterwards and found that it is "indeed" very easy to hit the emergeny phone button. All you have to do is lock your phone, swipe up and in the password screen press the emergency call button and OK.

I was talking to a coworker who was using an iPhone and it seems harder for them because they would need to swipe first, press emergency call. Then dial 9-1-1 and call.

It would be nice if we needed to swipe again or type in 911 before it would actually call. Besides the first swipe, the rest are just presses which can easily happen.
    Let me know how you feel after being in an accident with limited movement and being less than coherant. See which works best for you.
    cheadlender and wolfee48 like this.
    05-09-13 05:21 PM
    Let me know how you feel after being in an accident with limited movement and being less than coherant. See which works best for you.
    True, I agree it should be easy. I never had this problem happen to me before with an iPhone. I find it kind of weird how it got triggered as the phone was just in my pocket and I wasn't doing any strange activities (unless standing for a meeting is strange).

The operator seems kind of understanding about it and when I told her I have a BlackBerry, she implied that accidental emergency calls are more frequent with the device compared to the iPhone due to the way it is locked.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    05-09-13 05:28 PM
    I don't have an emergency button when I swipe up but I don't use the password screen..maybe that is why
    05-09-13 05:37 PM
    The emergency button only shows up when the screen is lock. I always put my phone in my pocket and never had a pocket dial. The trick I use is that I have this magnetic clip to hold my cash together. I put the back of my phone against it. And voil! The gesture unlock is deactivated when the Z10 is next to a magnet

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-09-13 05:45 PM
    The fix I am using is to turn off "Allow Gestures when Locked". Now I need to use the Power button to wake the device.

Supposed to save a bit on battery power, but at least I won't accidentally trigger an emergency call.
    05-13-13 03:33 PM
    Not to be rude, but what the hell were you doing. I had to do three things to activate the call! 1- Swipe up, 2- press the button on the top right, 3- press OK in the middle! I've never had this problem!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:31 AM
    Not to be rude, but what the hell were you doing. I had to do three things to activate the call! 1- Swipe up, 2- press the button on the top right, 3- press OK in the middle! I've never had this problem!
    Posted via CB10
    I found that my phone could do some fairly complicate things in my pocket when I had the Allow gestures when locked feature on. At one point I discovered about 100 beautiful pictures of the inside of my pocket, I pocket dialed a colleague and so on. These required about the same number of actions as the emergency dial, just were merely annoying since they didn't waste emergency services resources.

IMO Gestures off is the key to preventing this, whether you password protect or not.
    DueNorthBB likes this.
    05-14-13 06:54 AM
    Just curious - would it help to avoid that kind of pocket dial to happen if the screen is facing outside and not to your leg in the pocket?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 07:38 AM
    Just curious - would it help to avoid that kind of pocket dial to happen if the screen is facing outside and not to your leg in the pocket?
    Possibly, mind you I found another way to cause things to happen in my pocket even with gestures off. I always have a fair bit in my pocket including keys and a Swiss army knife. I found that the unlock button was bumping against something in my pocket, probably the knife, hard enough to unlock
    05-15-13 07:01 PM
    I had virtually the same experience but the officer was not impressed - felt that I was tying up the line for real calls. Since then, I have been putting my phone in my pocket up side down to avoid unknowingly swiping. Not sure if it is a solution but so far so good.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:52 AM
    I did it again (emergency call)... second time. This time I was in the men washroom. It must not have been locked (I believe by pressing the on/off button) when I placed my phone in my pocket (front one).

I really feel bad because I didn't do it on purpose. It NEVER happened before with my iPhone.

Like Hamilton Guy, I have encountered mysterious photos, phone calls to people in my contact, email of jumbled letters (luckily addressed to no one), etc.

I am going to try what SkinEgg suggested (putting it with the screen facing away). I believe I do have it facing my leg which I believe provide more protection.
    06-13-13 01:21 PM
    I prefer keeping the screen facing inwards to avoid cracking the screen. This has resulted in: two returned 911 calls, over a dozen pocket dials, a few pocket gibberish emails, and a few dozen pocket interior movies and photos.

I've now disabled swipe when locked.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 05:11 PM
    I no longer put my Z10 in my pocket because of pocket dialed 911 calls. I stopped after the second one. Once in front pocket and the second time in back pocket walking down a hall.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 11:35 PM
    I use the decide password and gestures on -- always keep phone in pocket -- have never dialed by accident -- can't even see how that's possible -- you guys have some pretty magical pockets lol

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 02:43 AM
    I found that my phone could do some fairly complicate things in my pocket when I had the Allow gestures when locked feature on. At one point I discovered about 100 beautiful pictures of the inside of my pocket, I pocket dialed a colleague and so on. These required about the same number of actions as the emergency dial, just were merely annoying since they didn't waste emergency services resources.

IMO Gestures off is the key to preventing this, whether you password protect or not.
    Get thicker pockets perhaps?
    06-14-13 03:10 AM
    I have the Flip Shell case - pocket dialing is not an issue. My phone is always in my pocket when I'm not using it.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 09:59 AM
    Three 911 calls.

I've actually attributed this to accidental pressing of the button as I have swipe off. And then accidental pressing of the emergency dial icon in the password entry screen. And of course accidental confirmation.

It's frustrating. There should be an option to remove the Make Emergency Call icon in the password entry.

Do the others who have suffered this have a password set and swipe to open off?

Posted via CB10
    mapperav likes this.
    06-20-13 12:52 AM
    I agree, I've had a few the last couple of days. I think BlackBerry should try to make it a tad more complicated. This isn't a good thing as it can tie up the emergency lines. Maybe an actual dial pad instead where you can only dial 911 or the required number to call an emergency line.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 01:40 PM
    Luckily I use BlackBerry Q10 doesn't have this problem
    04-17-14 04:17 PM
    Had the same issue whole running. I had the phone locked and it soaked 911 3 times.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 05:13 PM
    I have the leather holster for my Z30 and have never mad a unwanted call. I like the holster it's minimal protection, but you pull it out and have a "naked" amazing Z30 to make calls ect

Posted via CB10
    Dr J39 likes this.
    04-17-14 07:39 PM
52 123