I don't see how people are doing this really...my phone is in my pocket a good bit, NEVER have I had an issue with it dialing 911, taking pocket pics/videos or anything and i've had my phone since Sept of last year.....
    05-22-14 01:07 AM
    I called 911 by accident once when I was cleaning my screen with the phone locked. I was wiping it up and down and never noticed until it was too late that I woke the phone up and must have hit on the emergency number on the top of the phone. 911 operator wasn't too impressed with me !

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 03:36 AM
    This has happened to me three times now. The local police station calls me back and tells me they received a 911 call from this number. They also know exactly where I am. Even though I apologize and assure them everything is ok they still send a car to check to confirm. Every time it was locked and now in emergency mode. I don't have a cover and really don't want the bulk.

It's make no sense to me that it is so easily to dial 911 when locked. It should give you the option to dial it if needed. I have never had this problem with any other blackberry phone.

RIM: you really need to improve this situation!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 10:13 PM
    This has happened to me three times now. The local police station calls me back and tells me they received a 911 call from this number. They also know exactly where I am. Even though I apologize and assure them everything is ok they still send a car to check to confirm. Every time it was locked and now in emergency mode. I don't have a cover and really don't want the bulk.

It's make no sense to me that it is so easily to dial 911 when locked. It should give you the option to dial it if needed. I have never had this problem with any other blackberry phone.

RIM: you really need to improve this situation!

Posted via CB10
    I am rather pleased that it works this way... I'd rather use it as it works now in case of emergency... you don't know how it is to be in jeopardy and only one gasp/move away from a saving call!

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-01-14 10:22 PM
    It's on the old lock screen on my Z10 this was something normal 10 - 12 tomes I think. But since using pic password I don't have this problem with

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 10:46 PM
    It's on the old lock screen on my Z10 this was something normal 10 - 12 tomes I think. But since using pic password I don't have this problem with

Posted via CB10
    You still have an icon to make an emergency call even with the pic password... without solving it... you just can activate the screen (button or swipe) and call!
    And as I stated above, good so!

06-01-14 10:55 PM
    On the Q10 running 10.3 you need to actually dial 911...

Is it not that way with the Z series or on 10.2.1?

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    06-01-14 11:34 PM
    On the Q10 running 10.3 you need to actually dial 911...

Is it not that way with the Z series or on 10.2.1?

We talk about this direct calling button (upper right corner) coming just after restarting the device (when promped to input SIM-Password) and/or when the screen is locked with Picture-Password... here is my screenshot: Emergency-call button upper right:
    Emergency Call when Phone Locked-img_20140602_085341.png

06-02-14 01:56 AM
    We talk about this direct calling button (upper right corner) coming just after restarting the device (when promped to input SIM-Password) and/or when the screen is locked with Picture-Password... here is my screenshot: Emergency-call button upper right:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140602_085341.png 
Views:	648 
Size:	837.4 KB 
ID:	275499

Me, too. I touch that button and get a prompt to dial and emergency number. It doesn't just automatically dial the an emergency number. I can't seem to screenshot anything on the pic password or emergency mode page otherwise I'd show you.

06-02-14 07:23 AM
    Me, too. I touch that button and get a prompt to dial and emergency number. It doesn't just automatically dial the an emergency number. I can't seem to screenshot anything on the pic password or emergency mode page otherwise I'd show you.

It is possible that you deleted the contact "emergency"... that might be the solution... I have a contact saved, named "Nortruf" (in German: "Emergency call")
    I am promped once if I wanna make the call then the call goes out...

We might have found the solution...
    If you have the number 911 saved as a contact, delete the contact, so you rather get promped to dial it manually!?
    Our "Notruf" is 112 in Germany... since I did not have any problem, I'll keep it saved... but as said, you might delete that contact if you want to have your piece!

06-02-14 07:37 AM
    Emergency Call when Phone Locked-img_20140602_184005.png
    i have an option to dial the number?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    06-02-14 08:10 AM
    I don't see an 'Emergency' contact in my phone. I have a Z10.
    06-02-14 10:53 AM
    I don't see an 'Emergency' contact in my phone. I have a Z10.
    But then, typing the button prompts a window and does not make the call... isn't it?

06-02-14 12:35 PM
    It is possible that you deleted the contact "emergency"... that might be the solution... I have a contact saved, named "Nortruf" (in German: "Emergency call")
    I am promped once if I wanna make the call then the call goes out...

We might have found the solution...
    If you have the number 911 saved as a contact, delete the contact, so you rather get promped to dial it manually!?
    Our "Notruf" is 112 in Germany... since I did not have any problem, I'll keep it saved... but as said, you might delete that contact if you want to have your piece!

I never had an emergency number to delete. I checked my contacts and there was no emergency. I added one (911 under Emergency) and tried the emergency button again. Same prompt.

Sounds like this issue has been fixed in 10.3 or y'all have just been having terrible luck with hitting the exact three numbers necessary to call your local emergency hotline.

06-02-14 04:47 PM
    It just happened to me last night ! I couldn't sleep so I unplugged my phone from its charger and put it against my leg so the light wouldn't wake up my wife and went to the bathroom to relieve myself, (happens the older you get) , well I hear my phone ring and I can't get to it for obvious reasons, when I go to
    Voice mail it was the 911 dispatch calling to see if everything is okay ! I called back to say how sorry I am for tying them up with a " pocket dial" she said it happens but that the police were on their way!

At least maybe now I can convince my wife to get rid of our land-line phone because she was convinced that 911 would only take emergency vehicles to the nearest cell tower.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 06:36 AM
    I have had this happen 4 times in the last month with my company owned Q5. I turned off gestures to unlock, hoping this would prevent it. It didn't. I found out that even if you turn off gestures, it wasn't just the top unlock button that activated the screen. Any of the number keys will wake up the screen, making it touch sensitive. Then it's just a matter of two accidental taps and you're calling the police.

Blackberry: Why do you only disable some of the keys on a lock screen? It's not like you'll let me use the number keys to dial any number I want when the phone is locked, so why let them activate the screen? Bad UI design.

Add a gesture (slide) to call emergency. Or even a press and hold, like what you need to do to access the camera without unlocking the phone.
    Last edited by Anachr0n; 07-28-14 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added a suggestion.
    SharonRD likes this.
    07-28-14 12:12 PM
    True, I agree it should be easy. I never had this problem happen to me before with an iPhone. I find it kind of weird how it got triggered as the phone was just in my pocket and I wasn't doing any strange activities (unless standing for a meeting is strange).

The operator seems kind of understanding about it and when I told her I have a BlackBerry, she implied that accidental emergency calls are more frequent with the device compared to the iPhone due to the way it is locked.
    Wish I could compare the accidental 911 dialing with other devices, but unfortunately I have never mis dialed 911 on any of my devices. Motorola(V551), BlackBerry(8100.8310,9350,9550,9800,9810,Z10), iPhone(3s),SG4,SG3,N5
    08-28-14 02:55 PM
    Happened to me twice. Once in back pocket and also my baby did once as well.

I can't find the disable gestures on lock screen.. Under settings, s&p.. Locks screen.. There is only 2 options. All power/lock key to unlock device and lock screen notifications.

In settings..s&p.. Device password I don't see it either.
    08-28-14 07:22 PM
    Can anyone tell me where the menu is to turn off gestures on lock screen...
    08-30-14 05:49 PM
    Use the button on the top of the phone to turn off the screen. It marginally saves power as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 02:31 AM
    Can anyone tell me where the menu is to turn off gestures on lock screen...
    Settings > Display > Swipe to Wake

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 02:37 AM
    In one month, I dialled 911 an embarrassing amount of times. Most of the time, my two year old had found my phone. Each time, I had to call them back from my home phone and confirm all was okay. The last time, though, I was in the bathroom when I heard"police, fire, ambulance," and as I did my best to get out of the washroom quickly, my daughter got upset (she knew she was not supposed to touch Daddy's phone because of this) and was trying to hide what she did, she saw me coming, started wailing and the 911 operator is in the background saying "all I hear is a child crying."

I got to the phone and explained, but 45 minutes later as I was putting the kids to bed, there was a thump thump thump on the door and there was the officer.

"Evening sir, everything alright here?"

"Yes it is. I'm really sorry, do you want to come in and check on the kids?"

"No need, have a good night."

I actually think that he should have come in, but at the same time, glad it was quick and easy.

In my many apologetic conversations with the 911 operators, they said that BlackBerry is the worst for this, and it makes up for the majority of pocket dials. Mine was something like 8 or 9 times in a two month period.

As long as I keep the Z30 locked, it's not so bad. My Q10 was worse.

Tapped and flicked from my BlackBerry Z30!
    08-31-14 07:20 AM
    Settings > Display > Swipe to Wake

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Thought there was a setting with the word gestures... Eye roll.. Oops.
    08-31-14 08:02 AM
    In one month, I dialled 911 an embarrassing amount of times. Most of the time, my two year old had found my phone. Each time, I had to call them back from my home phone and confirm all was okay. The last time, though, I was in the bathroom when I heard"police, fire, ambulance," and as I did my best to get out of the washroom quickly, my daughter got upset (she knew she was not supposed to touch Daddy's phone because of this) and was trying to hide what she did, she saw me coming, started wailing and the 911 operator is in the background saying "all I hear is a child crying."

I got to the phone and explained, but 45 minutes later as I was putting the kids to bed, there was a thump thump thump on the door and there was the officer.

"Evening sir, everything alright here?"

"Yes it is. I'm really sorry, do you want to come in and check on the kids?"

"No need, have a good night."

I actually think that he should have come in, but at the same time, glad it was quick and easy.

In my many apologetic conversations with the 911 operators, they said that BlackBerry is the worst for this, and it makes up for the majority of pocket dials. Mine was something like 8 or 9 times in a two month period.

As long as I keep the Z30 locked, it's not so bad. My Q10 was worse.

Operator said same thing to me that bb are a source of a lot of misdials, more them iPhone and androids. It's something they really need to address and fast... It's irresponsible of them to not have a better solution.
    08-31-14 08:04 AM
    Operator said same thing to me that bb are a source of a lot of misdials, more them iPhone and androids. It's something they really need to address and fast... It's irresponsible of them to not have a better solution.
    It's true. They need to fix this, but what do you do. If it is too tricky to make the call, what's the point in the option? In an emergency, I would want to make the call as quickly and effortlessly as possible.

andy957 likes this.
    08-31-14 10:52 AM
52 123