Pardon my basic question, but I am slightly confused about the sync periods on my BB10 phone. I have set up a Gmail account and the account settings show a sync period starting from 1/2 hr at first.

Correct me here; I thought BlackBerry devices didn't need a sync period specified.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 09:44 PM
    Sync is a broad term. It doesn't necc. mean it'll only check your email every half hour if that's what you're really worried about here. Your emails will come in as you receive them but for your calendar, memo, contacts and such those can be on timed intervals. It can also apply to any of the email folders aside from your inbox.
    01-12-15 10:11 PM
    I did do some further research on the CB forums. I have a BlackBerry Classic and am using BIS. The forum FAQ mentioned that push email won't be supported for the Classic for services like Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:58 PM
    BIS has no affect on BlackBerry 10 email. BlackBerry 10 supports push email through Exchange Active Sync and/or BES if applicable. The question is whether your email provider is Exchange based or not. Definitely not a limitation of the device though.
    01-12-15 11:07 PM
    The question is whether your email provider is Exchange based or not. Definitely not a limitation of the device though.
    Exchange is a concrete commercial product. The technology BB uses is called IMAP IDLE. Your mail server which must be an IMAP server must support the IMAP IDLE feature. Many IMAP servers do that, others do not, but this is not a special feature of Exchange.

The answer is: if your mail server is an IMAP server and if the IMAP server supports the IMAP IDLE feature you can switch the Push option ON and set the sychronization interval to "Manually". This will cause much less network traffic, a delivering delay of normally under 30 seconds (depends on the server) and will save a lot of energy.
    01-13-15 12:49 AM
    I did do some further research on the CB forums. I have a BlackBerry Classic and am using BIS. The forum FAQ mentioned that push email won't be supported for the Classic for services like Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    IMAP push works just fine with Gmail on BlackBerry 10. Exchange Active Sync also pushes email instantly (eg. Outlook.com ). Yahoo is the only major account provider that comes to mind where you can't have emails pushed to BlackBerry 10.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    01-13-15 01:14 AM
    Incoming new mail from a Gmail account will still be "pushed", so you should receive those at the same time as other devices.

The "Sync" period in the setting refers to the following types of behaviour:
    - Sending email
    - Archiving/deleting email
    - Creating new Folders
    - Flagging/Starring email
    - Creating Drafts

Contacts/Calendar
    - Creating new entries

All those types of action occur instantly on your BlackBerry device, but they will only be sync'ed to the server/other devices after the time period in your settings (or the other way around, if you do any of this on your PC it will only show on your BlackBerry the next time the sync period triggers).

So if you set Sync for hour and you read an email on your phone it will be marked as Read on your PC with a hour delay. But if you receive a new email, it will still show instantly (and possibly also force a complete sync).
    You can also use the Refresh option in the Hub to manually sync your accounts.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    jetspeedz likes this.
    01-13-15 01:43 AM
    IMAP push works just fine with Gmail on BlackBerry 10. Exchange Active Sync also pushes email instantly (eg. Outlook.com ). Yahoo is the only major account provider that comes to mind where you can't have emails pushed to BlackBerry 10.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    This is interesting. I didn't know this before about the yahoo. I used to have a bold in the past and then moved to an iphone before my Z30. I did not have a problem in the past, as emails were almost instantly pushed to the device. However, now, emails can take up to 20 minutes at times to be received on my Z30, where it arrives instantly on my iPad!!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 06:41 PM
    This is interesting. I didn't know this before about the yahoo. I used to have a bold in the past and then moved to an iphone before my Z30. I did not have a problem in the past, as emails were almost instantly pushed to the device. However, now, emails can take up to 20 minutes at times to be received on my Z30, where it arrives instantly on my iPad!!

Posted via CB10
    When you had an old BlackBerry, BlackBerry polled Yahoo's email servers directly/constantly and pushed messages to you via BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). New BlackBerrys do not use BIS. They use IMAP with Yahoo. Which, if Yahoo supported standard IMAP push, means you'd still get emails pushed to you. However Yahoo does NOT support standard IMAP push. I have BlackBerrys -- a Z10 and a Passport and neither get emails pushed. And I have an Android LG G2 that uses a standard IMAP email client. Again no push with Yahoo.

Now with your iPad Yahoo DOES support push. Not sure exactly how it all works but basically if you have an iOS device.. iPhone/iPad, Yahoo has built in special support to immediately deliver emails. Call it custom push for iOS or whatever. Or maybe it is some specialized for of IMAP push for iOS mail clients only. Not sure. But that is how it all works.
    jetspeedz likes this.
    02-01-15 10:11 PM