Hey all,
    I was hoping for some help regarding the subject mentioned. The goal here is optimizing my battery life while not sacrificing communication. So my question is this: If 'Push' setting is enabled, what difference does it make how often I have the account sync? And does one setting have a higher impact on the battery than the other?
    I'm starting to experiment with these settings a bit to see if I can optimize the battery a bit more than it already is. But, perhaps someone has already been down this road and can shed some light on the subject. If not, I'll update in a few days to share my findings.
    Thanks!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-10-15 09:46 PM
    You should find push to be better, sync will only search for what setting you have.
    01-10-15 09:56 PM
    I have always had Push on... I'm just feeling like sync is actually of not much use for me. I'm not shuffling things around in folders all the time, and neither am I jumping back and forth between my computer and my Passport. I might end up turning the sync setting way down to every 12 or even 24 hours as I don't understand what the need for it to sync so often actually is with push turned on.

01-10-15 10:07 PM
    Go with Push.

An IMAP account such as Gmail or EAS account such as Outlook.com will only push messages to you as they arrive on the server. So, if nothing arrives on the server for 2 hours, nothing will happen until then.

A sync interval will poll the server at whatever period ou specify. So, if you have the sync interval set for 15 minutes, the device will poll the server 8 times in the same 2 hours noted above. It may not be a huge amount of battery usage difference, but can add up over a day.

Hope this makes sense.

Of course, all this depends on how important it is to you to receive your email in a timely fashion. My main accounts are all set as Push. The account where I receive promos and subscriptions are set for 4 hours.
    01-10-15 10:10 PM
    I like to receive most of my emails immediately, especially for work. I have only my work and personal email accounts linked to this device. I don't want to sacrifice when the messages come in which is why I would leave push on.
    Do you know if it has any affect on sent messages?

01-10-15 10:19 PM
    I like to receive most of my emails immediately, especially for work. I have only my work and personal email accounts linked to this device. I don't want to sacrifice when the messages come in which is why I would leave push on.
    Do you know if it has any affect on sent messages?

No doesn't make a diff there.
    01-10-15 10:20 PM
    No doesn't make a diff there.
    So, basically, if my email supports push, then sync intervals really don't matter as all of my messages should already have been received and/or sent instantly. Is that correct?
    And I suppose the only catch is that, if I have it set that way, I am relying only on my email server to deliver my messages and will not be having my device to double check that nothing gets missed?

01-10-15 10:25 PM
    So, basically, if my email supports push, then sync intervals really don't matter as all of my messages should already have been received and/or sent instantly. Is that correct?
    And I suppose the only catch is that, if I have it set that way, I am relying only on my email server to deliver my messages and will not be having my device to double check that nothing gets missed?

Yes

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-10-15 10:27 PM
    Funny how I've been on BlackBerry10 for about 2 years now and, 3 devices later, I'm finally figuring this out. And on the Passport where it probably doesn't matter all that much. Even still, I'd like to have this thing running as optimal as possible so thank you for your help!!

01-10-15 10:32 PM
    01-10-15 10:34 PM
    Thanks, I'll get there eventually... to be honest, my phone is like my inbox and my desktop like my archives anyway. I use message flags and 'mark unread' a lot but usually try to repond to most of my messages right away. Email organization is not as high on my priority list right now. One step at a time.

01-10-15 10:44 PM